Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Udvarnoky

Randy_Flagg said:
They did that with the cemetery scene in Crystal Skull, and it didn't turn out so great, unfortunately. Hopefully they can find a way to make it work better if that's the route they choose to take.

So just to be clear: your take on why the cemetery scene in Crystal Skull wasn't so great was Harrison Ford's age? That was the x factor?

Finn

Staff member
The big question here is, who is Disney making this film for?

A. The cool new kids?
B. Us old fans and nostalgics?
C. E for Everybody?

We can already tell that it's not A. Otherwise, they would have just rebooted the franchise and not bothered to bring Ford back in the first place. And well, that would have been a terrible choice, given the positive response they got from TFA.

But given it's Disney we're talking about, something tells me they're not simply trusting the familiar faces to carry this vehicle... again, as evidenced by TFA. Yes, Star Wars films are ensemble pieces by nature, and thus not directly comparable, but the main screen time was still given to the new, young heroes.

So, how to approach the matter here? Well, they've got two ways to go. Either give the elderly Dr. Jones some younger sidekicks to connect with... or place an old Indy and a young Indy in the same piece.

Now, I don't claim to know or guess which route they choose to go here. But I know which one I prefer... for a very simple reason. If the old fans are happy seeing Ford one last time, and the new kids connect with some younger character adventuring alongside him, surely the multi-billion dollar entertainment behemoth we're talking about here is just going to pass up on this opportunity, in favor of just rebooting the series with its original hero?

Well, to be frank, they might just do both. Again, look at all those Star Wars spinoffs in the making. But if I know the clientele of this joint, and I think I know it well, most would be pretty fuming for Disney spinning off some bastard franchise and spending time and money on it, when they could, in your opinion, spend those resources better with the original hero.

And therefore, if you care about the character of Indiana Jones and he is more to you than merely Mr. Ford wearing a fedora, you better goddamn pray he won't be the only person donning it under the guise of Dr. Jones in this upcoming movie. Otherwise, well... caveat emptor.

Joe Brody

Finn,

What are you talking about, Andy Serkis?

Though, I note all the photos I saw in the articles annoucing 5 were of Raiders Indy (and maybe one old Han Solo).

Ford's Indy is the single most iconic movie character ever.

DocWhiskey

*Awakes from shady crypt*

Indiana Jones 5 officially announced, huh? That's pretty darn cool. Here's to some future discussing.

Hopefully the title is revealed within the next 18 months. Oh, and a script :p

Finn

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Ford's Indy is the single most iconic movie character ever.
I'd say there's this certain British Secret Agent who begs to disagree.

The thing I'm talking about is the world outside the fandom. And how studios like these are not only interested in the fans' money. Or, shall we say, the existing fans' money.

DoomsdayFAN

Wilhelm said:
The action teaser could be a mini-adventure set in 1937 with a CGI de-aged Ford (No new actor) against nazis.

Then we could jump to 1967 with Old Indy retired that must go after the definitive archaeological artifact.

The selling points for the audience:

- Last Indiana Jones / Harrison Ford movie with Spielberg.
- Biblical or religious Mcguffin (No aliens this time)
- New prestigious co-star (Like Sean Connery in LC)

No reboot this time, but maybe in the future with other actor/director.

I like that idea, but it'll be hard to outdo the Holy Grail. Can't really top that in terms of being "the ultimate" McGuffin.

But also, I have no problems with aliens. It's just KOTCS executed things HORRIBLY.

I guess my biggest concern at this point is that John Williams is still alive and well come time to score the film.

Thank God no George Lucas!

Joe Brody

Finn said:
I'd say there's this certain British Secret Agent who begs to disagree.

I'd counter that the number of Bond incarnations actually dilutes the overall character -- thus Ford's Indy bests any one Bond incarnation, whether it be Connery, Craig or Lazenby (or frankly all of them combined).

Finn said:
The thing I'm talking about is the world outside the fandom. And how studios like these are not only interested in the fans' money. Or, shall we say, the existing fans' money.

Understood, when I reference Andy Serkis, I was referring to this intriguing line:

Finn said:
... or place an old Indy and a young Indy in the same piece.

Which I took you to mean is the current day Ford/Indy teamed up with "younger" Indy portrayed by Andy Serkis and digital effects galore.

Toht's Arm

Super-excited about this.

(And seeing this board come alive again is only slightly less exciting!) (y)

It's a year and a bit too late - I started reading all the EU books/comics when i first joined this board with the hopes they would tide me over until Indy V came along - but I ain't complaining!

The idea of presenting this film as an apology for Crystal Skull - like Last Crusade was for Temple - makes sense except for that fact that I'm not sure if we've had any suggestions as to what Spielberg thinks went wrong with film number 4. He's certainly admitted that it was unpopular with some viewers, but can anyone point to specific instances of "we shouldn't have done X and Y"?

Finn

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Which I took you to mean is the current day Ford/Indy teamed up with "younger" Indy portrayed by Andy Serkis and digital effects galore.
No, what I simply meant is that while Ford's "old Indy" may well sate the diehards like us, the casual viewer he likely will not. To placate the newcomers and those just wanting to see a good action flick, there needs to be a younger protagonist/deuteragonist.

And they have two ways to go about that. Either have the entire story remain in the "present", whichever decade that is (60s/70s most likely), and give Indy a younger sidekick, an original character - or place some of the action in the "past", with a younger actor portraying the iconic Dr. Jones.

The rest of my post simply was an argument why even those figuring Ford as Indy is sacrosanct, should prefer the latter option over the former. And I don't think there really is a third option, since I don't see them making some quiet mystery movie, almost an art house piece by the franchise standards.

Best note though that this is, of course, something we can merely debate amongst ourselves while waiting for more news. Whichever road they choose to take, I doubt they're going to poll us on it.

Last edited:

NightWalker81

Wooohoooo! In the first place, I'm very happy by the announcement! :whip: :whip: In the second place: Wooohooo!

As for me, I think the important thing now is only a fact: Spielberg and Harrison are going to make another "Indiana Jones" movie. I don't think in problems by now, I only enjoy the big news about this epic hero. I can't hardly wait to see Indy on screen again. I will love meet one of my favorite heroes again, after many years... (y)

I understand the concerns about the movie, but we may have to relax! It's only a movie to enjoy and to see fun adventures and riddles. I think the action is important, but it's not everything (it's only my point of view). Why? Because yes, the action was very important in the other movies, but Indiana Jones it's not only action. Indy is not like another heroes. He is different, and his personality and acts make him special.

I don't believe that Indy can be reduced to a simply action hero. He is much more. And Harrison can be superb if the movie goes well. :hat:

By the way, I love this forum. I'm Spanish and I have been reading the topics since many years ago. Sorry for my bad English (I'm learning in these moments). I'll try come often by here and give my opinions about the Indy series. Greetings! Fortune and glory! :D

WilliamBoyd8

Is this website going to have a counter at the top?

"Days until Indiana Jones 5 - NNNN"

(Today March 18 2016 would be 1218, I believe)

:)

Walecs

Joe Brody said:
I'd counter that the number of Bond incarnations actually dilutes the overall character -- thus Ford's Indy bests any one Bond incarnation, whether it be Connery, Craig or Lazenby (or frankly all of them combined).

Even as a huge Bond fan I agree with this.

Pale Horse

Staff member
WilliamBoyd8 said:
Is this website going to have a counter at the top?

"Days until Indiana Jones 5 - NNNN"

(Today March 18 2016 would be 1218, I believe)

:)

We nominated the members to be accountable. They'll be more vocal about it daily; and we don't have to write any code.

FordFan

Finn said:
No, what I simply meant is that while Ford's "old Indy" may well sate the diehards like us, the casual viewer he likely will not. To placate the newcomers and those just wanting to see a good action flick, there needs to be a younger protagonist/deuteragonist.

And they have two ways to go about that. Either have the entire story remain in the "present", whichever decade that is (60s/70s most likely), and give Indy a younger sidekick, an original character - or place some of the action in the "past", with a younger actor portraying the iconic Dr. Jones.

The rest of my post simply was an argument why even those figuring Ford as Indy is sacrosanct, should prefer the latter option over the former. And I don't think there really is a third option, since I don't see them making some quiet mystery movie, almost an art house piece by the franchise standards.

Best note though that this is, of course, something we can merely debate amongst ourselves while waiting for more news. Whichever road they choose to take, I doubt they're going to poll us on it.

They're going to pair Indy up with a sidekick, just like in the last one and the one before that. It'll be someone younger, to draw in the younger audiences.

But an Indy movie that goes back and forth in time won't happen. There's a formula that they'll stick to. Spielberg used River Phoenix as a younger Indy, but he was never the focal point. Ford will be the focus, not a younger actor.

You can say I'm wrong and that's the way it's got to be, but up until four days ago, you didn't believe Ford and Spielberg would be teaming up again.

Finn

Staff member
FordFan said:
They're going to pair Indy up with a sidekick, just like in the last one and the one before that. It'll be someone younger, to draw in the younger audiences.
While Indy's had a variety of sidekicks over the years, they've never really been there to "draw in the younger audiences". The movies are called "Indiana Jones and the..." and the man in the hat himself has been the draw. Such was the case even with KotCS. While Mutt was there, he hardly featured in the marketing.

In fact, the only time they saw it fit to promote another character, was with Henry Sr in LC. And he's not exactly someone they used to draw in the younger lot.

Now, that even a very vehement Ford's fan admits that they may need someone to draw in the new blood... seems like the times have changed, and we both know that.

And since the times have changed, so may the formula.

DeepSixFix

NightWalker81 said:
Wooohoooo! In the first place, I'm very happy by the announcement! :whip: :whip: In the second place: Wooohooo!
As for me, I think the important thing now is only a fact: Spielberg and Harrison are going to make another "Indiana Jones" movie. I don't think in problems by now, I only enjoy the big news about this epic hero. I can't hardly wait to see Indy on screen again. I will love meet one of my favorite heroes again, after many years... (y)
Agreed!

NightWalker81 said:
I understand the concerns about the movie, but we may have to relax! It's only a movie to enjoy and to see fun adventures and riddles.
So true! It?s all about escapist fun.

NightWalker81 said:
By the way, I love this forum. I'm Spanish and I have been reading the topics since many years ago. Sorry for my bad English (I'm learning in these moments). I'll try come often by here and give my opinions about the Indy series. Greetings! Fortune and glory! :D
Your English is fantastic, thanks for participating! :whip:

Johnny Nys

Like so many, I've visited this site over the past years, though it's been a while since I actively joined a discussion, since there hasn't been much to work it. I hope to join in the speculation game now, like we did way back when KotCS was announced.

Right now, I don't know whether to be stoked about the news, or still find it unbelievable. I'm a big Indy fan, and I never thought KotCS was all that bad. I still watch it when I do an Indython of all four movies, and even put it on by itself occasionally since it's still the Indy movie I've seen the least times of all.

I do think Ford did a great Solo in Episode VII, but now I fear they might put Indy through the same experience and I'm not sure if that's such a good idea.

I'd like the new movie to be more gritty, more dangerous or perilous, a lot less "photoshopped smoothness" over it all. I liked how VII was so similar to the original trilogy; I hope Indy 5 will be similar to the original trilogy as well.

Dr.Sartorius

Johnny Nys said:
Like so many, I've visited this site over the past years, though it's been a while since I actively joined a discussion, since there hasn't been much to work it. I hope to join in the speculation game now, like we did way back when KotCS was announced.

Right now, I don't know whether to be stoked about the news, or still find it unbelievable. I'm a big Indy fan, and I never thought KotCS was all that bad. I still watch it when I do an Indython of all four movies, and even put it on by itself occasionally since it's still the Indy movie I've seen the least times of all.

I do think Ford did a great Solo in Episode VII, but now I fear they might put Indy through the same experience and I'm not sure if that's such a good idea.

I'd like the new movie to be more gritty, more dangerous or perilous, a lot less "photoshopped smoothness" over it all. I liked how VII was so similar to the original trilogy; I hope Indy 5 will be similar to the original trilogy as well.

If they kill Indy off so many people will be pissed. I doubt Ford will let that happen though.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Disney's pretty much confirmed they have more stories to tell. When and how are still up in the air, but killing off a character seems to directly contradict the 'more stories' mantra.

That means I get no Shane-esque ending to Indy V. (n)

AlivePoet

I dropped by for a quick note the other day but now I'll post for real.

Like most Raveners here, I greatly anticipated Indy 4 before it came out, and like most Raveners, I was let down. And I fear that this new one is going to be as bad or worse than the last.

Here's why: the old timers probably haven't changed since KOTCS. They've only gotten older and probably more family-friendly. Their emphasis on father-son dynamics, family affairs, etc. is probably going to heavily feature again.

And their decision to shoot domestically only will probably also not change this time around. That was a major disappointment for me in the 4th. Part of what made the first 3 so interesting and appealing was the adventurous aspect in seeing them around the world (Sri Lanka, Tunisia, Jordan, etc.)

The first 3 partially inspired me to travel the world. The 4th does not share this distinction of being filmed internationally (unless you count the Argentinian Iguazu Falls shots, but I don't since none of the cast filmed anything there).

Anyway, so long as Ford is heavily featuring again, I guess I'll see it opening weekend. And until then I'll lap up every tidbit of info and talk about it here. But I don't expect the final product to be very good, and I'm sad to say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.