Crystal Skull prop replica?

ddschneider1972 said:
thepropshopsite has theirs up again....$199 starting bid "Last Summer it was selling for $500" they fail to mention this winter\spring I saw a few close at $75-$100. It's not SA (has a nose hole) but still pretty cool. I'll stick to my sub-$15 version, though. lol.

$200 Crystal Skull

I have one of these -- and it's also about 40% if the size it should be. I was VERY disappointed in what I got for my money (and they didn't mention in their auction back then what the size dimensions were)... I'd pass and look elsewhere... :(

Hans

Wow i was getting ready to buy one! But does anyone know where you can find the cyrstal skull alien? I have looked at amazon and ebay and getting weird results(y)

Indy's brother

Well, I just came across this one:

skoll.jpg

While not exact, it's serviceable. I have no idea where he got it from, though. I asked him in the comments, hopefully, he'll reply.....

(sorry, I don't know how to resize this pic)

Indy's brother

Well, I came across this one for $200 U.S.:

cs10.jpg

cs7.jpg

There are more pics of it here

It's not bad, the glittery effect might look good if it was uplighted correctly, but it's another 9" X 7" sculpt. That makes me think that it was probably also based off a cast of the slide projector.

Indy's brother

Well, I got info on the hollow one I posted on the 18th.
dsc_78561.jpg

dsc_78571.jpg

dsc_78581.jpg

IT'S ONLY 50 BUCKS AND IT'S LIFE-SIZE! Here's the link to purchase it. I may have to abandon my project to convert the projector into a working replica and fill one of these babies with casting resin and a light......

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Well, I got info on the hollow one I posted on the 18th.
IT'S ONLY 50 BUCKS AND IT'S LIFE-SIZE! Here's the link to purchase it. I may have to abandon my project to convert the projector into a working replica and fill one of these babies with casting resin and a light......

This one has a big advantage over the projector: it doesn't have the blue tinge to it.

fenris

Hey, Indy's Brother... are you a member of COW? Maybe you should post this info there as well (except for the big picture of the skull). I think people there would be interested as well.

Indy's brother

fenris said:
Hey, Indy's Brother... are you a member of COW? Maybe you should post this info there as well (except for the big picture of the skull). I think people there would be interested as well.

No Club Obi Wan for me, I spend too much time here as it is! :p

Indy's brother

Sorry for the double post. I timed out....

Well, I ordered the hollow full-sized one, which will undoubtedly be modified and internally lit once I get it. WARNING: Their international shipping cost to the states is a whopping $95.00!!! That hurt a little.

Indy's brother said:
Well, I came across this one for $200 U.S.:

cs10.jpg

cs7.jpg

There are more pics of it here

It's not bad, the glittery effect might look good if it was uplighted correctly, but it's another 9" X 7" sculpt. That makes me think that it was probably also based off a cast of the slide projector.

Not worth the money - we bought one for the museum and should have saved the money for something else. I agree that it looks like it was cast off the projector and is nowhere near life size.

fenris

Indy's brother said:
Sorry for the double post. I timed out....

Well, I ordered the hollow full-sized one, which will undoubtedly be modified and internally lit once I get it. WARNING: Their international shipping cost to the states is a whopping $95.00!!! That hurt a little.

Don't forget to post pics of it when you get it... preferably with a ruler or CD so we could estimate the actual size of it.

...but... $95??? Ouch! That hurts!!!

Indy's brother

fenris said:
Don't forget to post pics of it when you get it... preferably with a ruler or CD so we could estimate the actual size of it.

Gladly! It's gonna be a while, though. They contacted me after I made my order and told me that they are out of stock, and that it would take 6-8 weeks to have one ready to ship. The paypal buyer's protection only lasts 45 days (or something like that) so I cancelled the order and told them to contact me when they are ready so I could re-order it. Oh well, gives me more time to figure out how to fill and light the thing I guess....

JayDee

Indy's brother said:
The paypal buyer's protection only lasts 45 days..

Just a quick question throwing in, but: Where did you find out that you can pay with PayPal? I checked their site, but couldn´t find this information. If this is possible, I am going to buy me one, too (in the future...) :)

Indy's brother

JayDee said:
Just a quick question throwing in, but: Where did you find out that you can pay with PayPal? I checked their site, but couldn´t find this information. If this is possible, I am going to buy me one, too (in the future...) :)

I think while I was checking out, paypal came up as an option ;)

Indy's brother

While waiting semi-patiently for my skull to be ready, I came across this:
Rock-Clear-Quartz-Crystal-Skull.jpg

A REAL crystal skull would of course be the best! I have no doubt that the company that produces these skulls has the capability to carve a screen accurate version as a one-off. I also have no doubt it would cost a small fortune. Nonetheless, I have sent them an inquiry about exactly that. I'm interested in what their response will be.

Indy's brother

Holy Crap

This genuine quartz carving just about nails it for the tune of $539.95 (US)

Quartz-Rock-Crystal-Crystal-Alien-Skull-03.jpg

Quartz-Rock-Crystal-Crystal-Alien-Skull-09.jpg

Quartz-Rock-Crystal-Crystal-Alien-Skull-15.jpg

Jesus, if I knew it was life-sized, and I had that kind of cash laying around I'd buy it right now. Though I'm not sure what to make of it's dimensions:
4.2"x1.8"x2.0" (106x45x50 mm)

10.4OZ (296g)
Quartz Rock Crystal

edit: Ahh, those are cm.....this thing is dinky. (sorry, I'm american, so I don't understand measurements that end in "meter" or "gram")

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Indy's brother said:
While waiting semi-patiently for my skull to be ready, I came across this:
Rock-Clear-Quartz-Crystal-Skull.jpg

A REAL crystal skull would of course be the best! I have no doubt that the company that produces these skulls has the capability to carve a screen accurate version as a one-off. I also have no doubt it would cost a small fortune. Nonetheless, I have sent them an inquiry about exactly that. I'm interested in what their response will be.

And they didn't disappoint:

Before polishing
P1150864.jpg

P1150851.jpg

P1150852.jpg

Obviously, this thing is the size of a coffee table, but it proves that it can be done....for the right price:

The price is around like this :
100grams around 20USD/pc
500grams is around 50USD/pc
1000grams is around 70USD/pc
5kgs is around 60USD/pc
50kgs is around 50USD/pc
100kgs is around 40USD/pc
It is a rough caculated ,please let me know what is your idea ,thanks .
Best Regards
Nicholas

Now I have never done any actual business with them, so I cannot give any kind of endorsement, neither do I know if they do anything in clear quartz, but if you've got the cash would like to ask, the email is sales@crystalcarving.com

For the money, I am going to go with my Global Gear skull and modify it towards screen accuracy, and lighting it will take a back seat to that. Global Gear is supposed to have them in stock again in the next few days.:hat:

Indy's brother

My clear resin Skull from Global Gear arrived today, and I took some shots of it. I did some side-by-side shots of it next to a gutted projector to give you all an idea of it's size.

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

So. What's the story? The projector skull is 9" and the Global Gear one is 11". The outside of the GG skull was scratched a bit during the shipping, but since it took 2 months to actually get my hands on it, and I'm still limping from the 95$ shipping fee, I'm going to deal with it. I plan to buff out the scratches when I buff out the inside, which isn't polished. So yes, it is hollow, but that's going to be remedied by yours truly with some clear resin ;) Now I know it looks kinda brown/tan, but that's just a refection off of that basket in some of those shots. It's actually very clear and shiny, I plan on polishing it later today per these instructions, but I wanted to show it here as it's sold. It's pretty sturdy, ranging from 1/2" to 1&1/2" in thickness, depending on where you look. It's hefty too, weighing in at 6 lbs. It's a fairly faithful sculpt, and I'm happy with it. Of course, I bought it fully with the understanding that I will be working on it more. For some of you, this is probably not worth it, but who who am I to say?

Oh yeah, and the "stand" in comes with is nothing more than a black wooden platform with a metal post and a rubber stopper on it for the skull to balance on. The post is what scratched the thing in transit, I believe. If you order one, you should probably ask for them not to send the stand. It's not worth it. I tossed the post, and kept the wood, I might use it for something else....

Dr.Jonesy said:
Does anyone know if there are any prop-makers that have attempted to replicate the Crystal Skull prop? I haven't found any online and I understand it would be a difficult piece to make, but I was wondering if anyone here or anywhere else online has replicated one yet?
-Thanks! :hat:

Here's a nice one I stumbled over...

skull1.jpg