TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #101
pitt_norton
IndyFan

What a great book... though I'm disappointed with a large percentage of quotes taken from the 2003 DVD doco. I would have loved to have read quotes from cast and crew taken from the set at the time they were filming.

Was it me or was the Last Crusade portion of the book heavily glossed over? It's like the filming really went through the motions with no major stresses.

The Crystal Skull portion was great. Lucas proved he understood what Indy was all about. A love letter to pulp. His angle for a Indy in the 50's with aliens was perfect! Spielberg and Ford missed the boat, so here we are now with a film that is dividing opinion because it tried to cater for a 'traditional' Indy film. A brushed up saucermen from mars script would have been a strong statement.

I just wished they released this book a few months from now to take in accounts from Jan 2008 to May 2008! Because as it stands it is 'incomplete'
pitt_norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #102
Montana_Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_norton
What a great book... though I'm disappointed with a large percentage of quotes taken from the 2003 DVD doco. I would have loved to have read quotes from cast and crew taken from the set at the time they were filming.

Was it me or was the Last Crusade portion of the book heavily glossed over? It's like the filming really went through the motions with no major stresses.

The Crystal Skull portion was great. Lucas proved he understood what Indy was all about. A love letter to pulp. His angle for a Indy in the 50's with aliens was perfect! Spielberg and Ford missed the boat, so here we are now with a film that is dividing opinion because it tried to cater for a 'traditional' Indy film. A brushed up saucermen from mars script would have been a strong statement.

I just wished they released this book a few months from now to take in accounts from Jan 2008 to May 2008! Because as it stands it is 'incomplete'
I'm guessing the January 2008 to May 2008 is reserved for the eventual hardcover release?
Frankly I'm glad YIJC was glossed over in passing in this book. This Oversized/Coffee Table book is about the Making of the FILMS.
Montana_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #103
Zoetrope
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana_Jones
I'm guessing the January 2008 to May 2008 is reserved for the eventual hardcover release?
Frankly I'm glad YIJC was glossed over in passing in this book. This Oversized/Coffee Table book is about the Making of the FILMS.

Well, the hardcover edition was already released in the UK. I ordered it from amazon.co.uk. Received it a couple of days ago. It has the same content as the paperback edition. Still, great book!
Zoetrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #104
Michael24
IndyFan

Perhaps there should a separate "The Complete Making of Young Indiana Jones" book. That would be pretty sweet.
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #105
Montana_Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24
Perhaps there should a separate "The Complete Making of Young Indiana Jones" book. That would be pretty sweet.
Oh, like that would sell well!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:55 AM   #106
Michael24
IndyFan

Maybe not huge, but I think it would do decent. Regardless of what Young Indy haters want to think, there are fans of the show out there.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:01 AM   #107
FILMKRUSC
IndyFan

I picked this book up. If you are a fan of the Indiana Jones films then it's a definite must have. Lots of great behind the scenes pics.

After seeing this one, I'll probably pick up the Star Wars one they did a couple of years ago.
FILMKRUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:12 AM   #108
Michael24
IndyFan

Actually "The Making of Star Wars" by J.W. Rinzler just came out last year, for the film's 30th(!) anniversary. It's very good, though.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #109
Montana_Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24
Maybe not huge, but I think it would do decent. Regardless of what Young Indy haters want to think, there are fans of the show out there.
Never said I'm a hater. One of those fans are also on my ignore list. Said deviant is "Adamwankenobi" of which I won't go into detail.
It wouldn't sell very well though. Even I'm very hesitant with purchasing all three volumes of the Young Adventures of Indiana Jones. It's why I'm Netflixing the episodes only.
This is a great book and I'm glad it only focused upon the films.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #110
Ignatius Stone
IndyFan

Quote:
Actually "The Making of Star Wars" by J.W. Rinzler just came out last year, for the film's 30th(!) anniversary. It's very good, though.

Allegedly they're also going to do Making of Empire and Jedi books in this format, too.
For the most part they'll reprint the contents of the old Del Rey "Making Of" paperbacks from 1980 and 1983, but with a bunch of archival photos and updated content, etc.
Ignatius Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #111
Michael24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana_Jones
Never said I'm a hater. One of those fans are also on my ignore list. Said deviant is "Adamwankenobi" of which I won't go into detail.
It wouldn't sell very well though. Even I'm very hesitant with purchasing all three volumes of the Young Adventures of Indiana Jones. It's why I'm Netflixing the episodes only.
I wasn't sure if you were a hater or not, but I was just talking in general. Haven't noticed anything bad about Adamwankenobi," but I still think they should give Young Indy its own book. I hadn't seen the series since it first aired, but I picked up Volume 1 about a month ago and I loved it; watched the whole thing in about three days. Can't wait to pick up Volume 2 and 3. After seeing it, I definitely don't understand the hate towards it some people have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius Stone
Allegedly they're also going to do Making of Empire and Jedi books in this format, too.
For the most part they'll reprint the contents of the old Del Rey "Making Of" paperbacks from 1980 and 1983, but with a bunch of archival photos and updated content, etc.
Yeah, I'd also heard there were supposed to be subsequent volumes for Empire and Jedi, but I can't find any info on them other than a story that hinted at them prior to the Star Wars book's release. I would hope it's more than just reprinting stuff, although the original book Once Upon A Galaxy: A Journal of the Making of The Empire Strikes Back by Alan Arnold is quite awesome and comprehensive.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #112
bergstrom
IndyFan

Are the transcripts from the Lucas/Spielberg/Kasdan story conferences in this book? If not, anyone have them??

berg
bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #113
agentsands77
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergstrom
Are the transcripts from the Lucas/Spielberg/Kasdan story conferences in this book? If not, anyone have them??

berg
I believe there's a brief excerpt from them.
agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #114
SterankoII
IndyFan

Quote:

That's my favorite part of the book! It's a two page section with the transcripts of them coming up with the different bits of the opening sequence. It's fun reading Lucas and Spielberg pitching ideas like the spike boobytrap and the boulder for the first time.
SterankoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #115
Shark_Blade
IndyFan

I have the book, it's great and very informative.

I'm wondering, is The Making of Star Wars cover episode 4-6 only?
I'd like to see episode 1-3 as well but don't think the book is anywhere to be found.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #116
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade
I have the book, it's great and very informative.

I'm wondering, is The Making of Star Wars cover episode 4-6 only?
I'd like to see episode 1-3 as well but don't think the book is anywhere to be found.
no actually the making of star wars is only for a new hope.
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #117
Shark_Blade
IndyFan

What? Only one? Lucky I didn't bought it then. Indy got all 4 movies squeezed into one giant book.

Anyway thanks for the heads up salussolia.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #118
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

Thumbs up

Quote:
What? Only one? Lucky I didn't bought it then. Indy got all 4 movies squeezed into one giant book.

Anyway thanks for the heads up salussolia.
youre welcome,, but its a superb book though!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #119
Shark_Blade
IndyFan

Yeah, but I really love Episode 1 and Episode 6 the most.

Maybe I'll consider to buy it anyway.

About the book title, they should made it pretty clear, it's pretty confusing for us customers.

Crytal clear like this should be convenient:

The Making Of
STAR WARS
A New Hope
Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #120
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, but I really love Episode 1 and Episode 6 the most.

Maybe I'll consider to buy it anyway.

About the book title, they should made it pretty clear, it's pretty confusing for us customers.

Crytal clear like this should be convenient:

The Making Of
STAR WARS
A New Hope
Im not a big fan of star wars but i bought it because i love seeing how they made it. Specifically george lucass righting. Which is different form indiana jones becasue i love indiana jones and ,love seeing how they made it.
Yeah i see what you mean
i think thye say star wars because i think it was the original title. But i see what you mean, That would counfuse me too.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #121
SterankoII
IndyFan

On page 283 there's a small picture of Stan Winston talking to Spielberg on the set of Indy IV. His studio made the Roswell alien corpse stolen by the Russians, the python in the quicksand scene and the Crystal skull itself.
SterankoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #122
DarthMickey
IndyFan

If you don't have this book get it. It's great.
DarthMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #123
jason10mm
IndyFan

Finished it yesterday. Alas, the latter films get increasingly superficial overviews, but it is still a great read!

I am AMAZED that the movies came out as good as they did. Some of those plot ideas seem terrible. The whole talking monkey king thing seems ridiculous, as does a haunted castle and Indy doing crime solving. I can understand now the contributions of Spielberg and Ford in reigning in Lucas' stronger impulses :P

I'm beginning to think that Indy as I know him is a product of rushed schedules, on-set impromptu ad-libs, and poor special effects :P
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #124
JTKenobi
IndyFan

I thought this was a great release even though, like many here, I would have liked to have a bit more on TOD & TLC. I also don't like it when they call things like this 'complete'. If there is ever another movie (crossing fingers) it won't be complete. Kind of like the SW Encyclopedia. Anyway, great book and worth it for the pictures alone.

If anyone still needs this book, I have an extra copy of the HARDCOVER version which I had to get from overseas (I am in the US). It's brand new. Feel free to PM me if interested.
JTKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:01 AM   #125
welshslider
IndyFan

review of "the complete making of Indiana Jones"

Just finished reading the superb book
The Complete Making Of Indiana Jones. I have reviewed it here. Hope you like it.
http://retrofinds.blogspot.com/2009/...es-by-j-w.html
welshslider is offline   Reply With Quote