Indiana Jones Magazine!

tupogirl

Adamwankenobi said:
There was an official YIJC magazine in '92, which was canceled after one issue:

officialmagLG.jpg

I still have my copy! I reread it the other day, lol. I didn't realize it folded after one issue. I just knew I only *had* one issue.

Crack that whip

Was it actually ever intended to run more than one issue? It does seem to make sense for an ongoing project like a TV series, but I do know there are lots of souvenir movie magazines that were conceptualized from the outset as single-issue publications.

I'm afraid I don't have this one (not that I can remember, anyway). I wish I had it.

Avilos

The first 22 issues of Star Wars Insider was called The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine. This was from 1987 to 1994 so Young Indy was covered in it a lot. I have the issue for when the show started and its on the cover.

One of the things the new magazine will likely cover once the hype of the new movie trails off is Young Indy. There is only so much that can be said about 4 movies. I like to see interviews with the shows actors. Main cast but guest stars as well. Star Wars Insider has exclusive merchandise. This eventually maybe our source for Young Indy figures!

Indy fan 235

Avilos said:
The first 22 issues of Star Wars Insider was called The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine. This was from 1987 to 1994 so Young Indy was covered in it a lot. I have the issue for when the show started and its on the cover.

One of the things the new magazine will likely cover once the hype of the new movie trails off is Young Indy. There is only so much that can be said about 4 movies. I like to see interviews with the shows actors. Main cast but guest stars as well. Star Wars Insider has exclusive merchandise. This eventually maybe our source for Young Indy figures!

The Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine was great. They really gave great coverage of The Last Crusade as well as whatever new film Lucas had coming out.

I hope the new Indy magazine will cover collecting as well.

tupogirl

There is a full page ad for joining the LucasFilm Fan Club. For the life of me, I can't remember if I joined or not. And I'm going through it backwards here and there *is* a page for subscribing to the YIJC magazine. 4 issues for 7.50 and it was through Red Oak, IA, not Aurora, CO. I didn't subscribe to that either. Also under editor's notes, they ask for people to send in their adventure stories.

Don't know where I got this one either.

If I can get my act together, *and* get the scanner working again, I could scan it if anyone is interested. I had the pullout on my wall (you know, with my other SPF/Young Indy posters - he was in the teenie bopper magazines;) so I'm missing part of the comic.

Crack that whip

tupogirl said:
There is a full page ad for joining the LucasFilm Fan Club. For the life of me, I can't remember if I joined or not. And I'm going through it backwards here and there *is* a page for subscribing to the YIJC magazine. 4 issues for 7.50 and it was through Red Oak, IA, not Aurora, CO. I didn't subscribe to that either. Also under editor's notes, they ask for people to send in their adventure stories.

Well, how about that. Thanks for the info! (y) I'm even sorrier now that I missed out. :(

I was a member of the Lucasfilm Fan Club - a charter member, actually, and stayed with it up until a little while after it became the Star Wars Fan Club (and years ago, I was a member of the original Star Wars Fan Club). I do have all the issues of the Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine that identify it by that name, as well as the first x issues of the Star Wars Insider. I remember the various articles the earlier iteration carried about TYIJC (and IJatLC, various other Lucasfilm productions, etc.), and got a couple YIJC items that made up the membership kit for a year or two in the early '90s. It's not quite the same as an ongoing Indy-specific magazine, but for a while it was close enough.

I allowed my SWFC membership to lapse in the early '00s as I became a bit disenchanted with the direction of "current" SW, but I'm still a crazy SW fan at heart, and must confess I've been thinking about rejoining. I know that even now, they still find new things to cover about the '77 original and the rest of the OT, and I naturally feel compelled to keep up...

JimmyPSHayes

I just got the magazine-it came in with this week's shipment-WOW!!!! It is AWESOME!!! TONS of great articles, the only thing is it's VERY spoiler heavy. I'm going to wait to read it until after I see the movie. I'm going to be looking forward to getting this each month

tupogirl

Crack that whip said:
Well, how about that. Thanks for the info! (y) I'm even sorrier now that I missed out. :(

I was a member of the Lucasfilm Fan Club - a charter member, actually, and stayed with it up until a little while after it became the Star Wars Fan Club (and years ago, I was a member of the original Star Wars Fan Club). I do have all the issues of the Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine that identify it by that name, as well as the first x issues of the Star Wars Insider. I remember the various articles the earlier iteration carried about TYIJC (and IJatLC, various other Lucasfilm productions, etc.), and got a couple YIJC items that made up the membership kit for a year or two in the early '90s. It's not quite the same as an ongoing Indy-specific magazine, but for a while it was close enough.

I allowed my SWFC membership to lapse in the early '00s as I became a bit disenchanted with the direction of "current" SW, but I'm still a crazy SW fan at heart, and must confess I've been thinking about rejoining. I know that even now, they still find new things to cover about the '77 original and the rest of the OT, and I naturally feel compelled to keep up...

You're welcome! I usually remember everything about where I get things etc...and it's bothering me that I can't! LOL. I know I had the Pro Set catalog, which had some cool things in it. I would still love to get the YIJC binder for the cards (tied with a ribbon in a stack on my books). And I know I had some other catalog, don't know if I had the Lucasfilm magazine or not. I had the YIJC calendar that year...

I feel 'lucky' that I have the books, cards and the magazine that I do, they made it through a couple of moves.

Crack that whip

My Indy collection in general isn't nearly as substantial as I'd like - it's certainly outdone by those of at least a couple people here - though it's bigger than that of almost anyone else I know offline (though then again, I don't know that many other people offline I'd consider heavy fans anyway, though I know several light ones). For Young Indy specifically, I have fairly little - but then there's not that much to get to begin with (certainly not what there is with the movies, anyway).

I do have the three DVD volumes of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, the novelization The Mata Hari Affair, the four volumes of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles soundtrack CDs, the "making-of" book, the Lucasfilm Fan Club membership kit material (IIRC, a patch and a poster or two), the Dark Horse comics series (including a still-sealed "value pack"-type thing containing a couple issues in a clear plastic clamshell-type container), an unopened box of Dixie cups (!), the Viewmaster reels from "British East Africa, September 1909," and the Pro Set trading cards, complete with all base cards, 3-d cards and hidden treasure cards multiple times over, plus boxes and wrappers (including at least a full unopened box, maybe more), plus the binder, along with a handful of magazines that covered the show.

tupogirl

Crack that whip said:
My Indy collection in general isn't nearly as substantial as I'd like - it's certainly outdone by those of at least a couple people here - though it's bigger than that of almost anyone else I know offline (though then again, I don't know that many other people offline I'd consider heavy fans anyway, though I know several light ones). For Young Indy specifically, I have fairly little - but then there's not that much to get to begin with (certainly not what there is with the movies, anyway).

I do have the three DVD volumes of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, the novelization The Mata Hari Affair, the four volumes of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles soundtrack CDs, the "making-of" book, the Lucasfilm Fan Club membership kit material (IIRC, a patch and a poster or two), the Dark Horse comics series (including a still-sealed "value pack"-type thing containing a couple issues in a clear plastic clamshell-type container), an unopened box of Dixie cups (!), the Viewmaster reels from "British East Africa, September 1909," and the Pro Set trading cards, complete with all base cards, 3-d cards and hidden treasure cards multiple times over, plus boxes and wrappers (including at least a full unopened box, maybe more), plus the binder, along with a handful of magazines that covered the show.

You have a little bit more than I do. The Mata Hari book disappeared as well as all the other posters and magazines that I had. I still have my full set of cards that I bought as a full set, but not the ones that I had been working on pack by pack. I had at least one comic, but that disappeared as well. I have the 4 young adult series books, the ones with pictures in them. I found out there were 6...missing the last 2 and I can't remember if I had them. I lost Vol 2 soundtrack, had volume 1 up until a few years ago and that I can't find. I still have the making of book. I thought I saw the calendar within recent years, but not sure.

I am thinking of buying some more of the pro set cards on ebay, just to do some collage artwork with. I *love* the photo of the family together and I think it would be cool to alter.

tupogirl

You know, I was thinking about this after I posted. And I don't think that there was a whole lot more. I know the soundtracks went to #4, but I never saw 3 or 4 in the stores. There were a couple of kids' activity/sticker books, the knife...There just wasn't that much. I remember the catalog had a lot of regular Indy stuff.

Indy fan 235

tupogirl said:
I was thinking even if I can't scan it, I can always take pictures. See what I can do for you!

Thanks!

Speaking of Young Indy collectibles, does anyone remember when Pizza Hutt had YI stuff? I remember a cup and a few small toys.

I wonder if the movie does well if they will start a YI comic again?

tupogirl

Indy fan 235 said:
Thanks!

Speaking of Young Indy collectibles, does anyone remember when Pizza Hutt had YI stuff? I remember a cup and a few small toys.

I wonder if the movie does well if they will start a YI comic again?

No! I don't remember that! I used to remember everything about everything... But I did live out in the middle of nowhere at the time. It seemed like stuff was everywhere for a few months, until they realized the show wasn't doing so well.

Oh and there was the Sega game. But I didn't have a Sega...

Crack that whip

Oh, somehow I forgot to note I also have a large transparency blow-up of a publicity still (I got it through someone who worked on the entertainment section of the local paper for where I lived at the time) of the 50-year-old Indy with sax from Harrison's appearance on the show, plus a cane with the exact same style of eagle-shaped brass handle as the one carried by George Hall as Old Indy on the show (which I figure counts as a "prop / gear replica" item).

tupogirl

Crack that whip said:
Oh, somehow I forgot to note I also have a large transparency blow-up of a publicity still (I got it through someone who worked on the entertainment section of the local paper for where I lived at the time) of the 50-year-old Indy with sax from Harrison's appearance on the show, plus a cane with the exact same style of eagle-shaped brass handle as the one carried by George Hall as Old Indy on the show (which I figure counts as a "prop / gear replica" item).

Very nice! I used to also have Flanery's and Carrier's other films at that time on tape. I used to tape a lot of things:).

I'm glad I still have the few things left.

Crack that whip

Cool! As much as one might almost lament the embarrassment of riches for the Indy features (whether because one thinks some of the merchandise is tacky, or because one can't afford it all), it's pretty vexing how there's so comparatively little for Young Indy. There are people who love and adore the show, yet have so little loot to show for it that it practically doubles the size of their collection if they select a Young Indy avatar here...

tupogirl

ROTFLMBO!!!! Yep. And I remember back then that the same pictures showed up over...and over...and over...I got a bit tired of it. Corey on a camel, Sean in the Congo...

My 'collection' includes all the books I've bought that have something to do with the show. WWI books, Siegfried Sassoon, Edith Wharton, Jung, maps, infectious diseases:p.