Your favorite continuity error in the trilogy?

UltimateManGod

Nurhachi1991 said:
how did Satipo die anyway? wasnt forrestals body with the spikes already out? where there more than one light trap

I believe spikes came out from both walls, not just one. But there was just one light trap. I'm not 100% sure though.

Nurhachi1991

oh i always thought there was just one light trap. wouldnt the other spike trap that killed Satipo affect Indy and Satipos trip into the temple in the first place because it was prety narrow in there

Michael24

I bet it's destined to be some ill-fated Russian who utters the Wilhelm in KOTCS. :D

Ben Burtt even does a Wilhelm impersonation himself during his cameo in Return of the Jedi, as the Imperial officer who gets knocked over the railing by Han in the shield generator bunker. :D

Burke

Michael24 said:
I bet it's destined to be some ill-fated Russian who utters the Wilhelm in KOTCS. :D

Ben Burtt even does a Wilhelm impersonation himself during his cameo in Return of the Jedi, as the Imperial officer who gets knocked over the railing by Han in the shield generator bunker. :D

The giant flying sawblades would make for a good use of the Wilhelm, or more likely, a Russian jeep flying off a 1,000 foot cliff.

NoCamels

Michael24 said:
Indy's wearing spurs? You mean, you can actually see spurs on his feet at one point? At what moment during the chase?

But how the heck can you tell the different between an American saddle and a non-American saddle?

Indy's spurs in Raiders are thin English spurs, not big cowboy spurs, so they are hard to see, but it's right when Indy is riding across the ridge, just before he rides downhill to jump on the truck. There is a shot looking down past the horse at the truck and if you look closely he is wearing short silver spurs. My computer isn't letting me play DVDs right now, otherwise I'd give you a screen capture.

I meant a regular western saddle when I said American saddle. You might be surprised at the variety in saddles between countries, as often they were designed for that country's specific types of horses and specific kinds of work. Example: American cowboys (chunky Quarter horses and Western saddles for roping cows) versus Olympic show jumpers (usually lean European horses and English saddles for jumping fences). Saddles 101:
Saddles.jpg

Left to right: Western (American) saddle, Australian stock saddle, English saddle. All three types are available at my local American tack shop, the styles just originated in different countries. These photos are of miniature saddles I own.
Arabiansaddles.jpg

Fancy Arabian saddles- the red one is similar to (but much fancier than) the one Indy's white horse has in Raiders. The other two are Arabian/Bedouin show saddles. If you'd like to see more pictures of saddles from other countries, I suggest taking a look at http://www.aeon-systems.net/narrawin/gearcollect.html

And, back on topic. Here's a screen capture of the stunt saddle from Last Crusade. I've circled the foothold in white, because it's hard to see. It's that dark blob in the center of the oval. When he's riding, it's at knee level.
Indyjump.jpg

Michael24

Interested. I don't think I've ever noticed any difference in saddles before, even when watching foreign films with them. Thanks for the info. :)

Indy"Ale" Jones

Another thing that has always bothered me, thats not really a continuity error but more of a law of physics thing is the water in ToD. There are vast chasms with flowing lava and all kinds of nooks and crannies that the water would have ended up filling. So unless they were heading straight down at an unbelieveable incline I don't think that much water would have made it to them when they ran out of the tunnel and on to the side of the cliff. Anyone else agree with this?

Indy_Chic

I love how in Temple of Doom where Indy is hanging onto the collapsed rope bridge and the badies are firing arrows at him you can actually see some of the arrows bounce off Indy's back. LOL! Indy is so tough I tell ya!! ;)

Nurhachi1991

Indy_Chic said:
I love how in Temple of Doom where Indy is hanging onto the collapsed rope bridge and the badies are firing arrows at him you can actually see some of the arrows bounce off Indy's back. LOL! Indy is so tough I tell ya!! ;)

lol yeah i noticed that as well

Stoo

NoCamels said:
If you wanted to be really nitpicky, when Indy jumps from the horse to the tank, you can just barely tell he's got a stunt saddle with some kind of foothold to jump from and that the horse he's riding in Petra is not the horse he's riding in the tank chase. But I can't tell you how many times I've watched the tank chase in slow motion and zoomed in to figure that out! (I'm making Indy's saddle in miniature.)
Good Stuff, NoCamels! I enjoyed your detailed post on the saddles & spurs and thanks for pin-pointing
the foothold. Nitty-gritty details. Gotta love it!:whip:

What is the tell-tale clue that distinguishes the two horses? I am curious since the tank-chase horse,
Hurricane, is apparently the same one that S.P.Flanery rode in "Curse of the Jackal" during the pursuit
across the Mexican border. (You probably know this already...)

Another terrible continuity problem is the motorboat/propellor scene from "Crusade".
The cliffhanger supsense suffers from the editing. I guess they didn't have much to work with!

Not a continuity error but how about the ejected telephone pole sticking out during the Cairo truck crash?

Indy"Ale" Jones

Actually my favorite continuity error in the trilogy is the circus train scene at the beginning of LC. Watch the landscape and how often it changes, especially when Indy goes into the magic car and they are in the mountains and then moments later when he escapes and runs home it is absolutely flat with no mountains in sight anywhere.

ReggieSnake

Nurhachi1991 said:
and why in the heck would Lao Che have a real antidote???? he could of killed indy by putting anti freeze or something in the vial or not tell him he was posioned and let hime die
Lao Che probably enjoyed the irony of having Indy die with the real antidote right under his nose. His son seemed to be enjoying it too, until he got the shish-kabob through the chest of course...:dead:

Michael24

Indy_Chic said:

I've never been able to see that. At best, just some arrows hitting the rock cliffside and bouncing off, but I've never been able to see whether or not any of them actually bounce off of Indy.

Though it wouldn't surprise me. Indy has survived being dragged behind a speeding truck, outrunning a giant boulder, dodging giant steel blades, and surviving the evilfying affects of the Blood of Kali, so I would think he'd be tough enough that arrows could just bounce off of him like Superman. :D

Burke

Indy"Ale" Jones said:
Another thing that has always bothered me, thats not really a continuity error but more of a law of physics thing is the water in ToD. There are vast chasms with flowing lava and all kinds of nooks and crannies that the water would have ended up filling. So unless they were heading straight down at an unbelieveable incline I don't think that much water would have made it to them when they ran out of the tunnel and on to the side of the cliff. Anyone else agree with this?

Hah, yeah. I watched ToD the other day and thought of that right away.

Indy_Chic

Michael24 said:
Though it wouldn't surprise me. Indy has survived being dragged behind a speeding truck, outrunning a giant boulder, dodging giant steel blades, and surviving the evilfying affects of the Blood of Kali, so I would think he'd be tough enough that arrows could just bounce off of him like Superman. :D

Yeah! This must mean the arrows bouncing off him is not a mistake after all! :whip: