TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #26
Rocket Surgeon

George Lucas

Here's a piece from the Wall Street Journal. Take it for what you will

Ben Mankiewicz (co-host of “At the Movies”) sat down with George Lucas, famed director of such blockbusters as the “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” series who has his own company, San Francisco, Calif.-based Lucasfilm Ltd.

Much of the panel was devoted to Mr. Lucas’s past – how the son of a shop owner got his start in film (“by accident” when he discovered cinema in college) and became a box-office sensation, despite railing against the “used-car salesmen” in Hollywood over the years.

(Mr. Lucas’s response: “Yoda would say ‘be careful what you hate, for you may become it’,” he said, drawing laughs.)

But this exchange caught our attention, given Hollywood’s struggles amid the recession and the long-term revenue shift from ticket sales to DVD sales to…iPhone sales?

Ben Mankiewicz: Now…some of these people are gonna watch movies on their iPhone – I worry…that loses part of the shared experience, but it’s also a delivery system that will enable people to see a lot more of your movies.

George Lucas: I make movies, I don’t care where they are shown

BM: You don’t care if somebody watches your movie on an iPhone?

GL: I design my films to be shown in one place…it used to be that it was the movie theater…in those days there was no other alternative. […] Now, I make films primarily for DVD.

BM: So five, two years from now, you might produce something where the primary delivery system could be the iPhone?

GL: Yeah…it does come to be like Michelangelo, who loved sculpture but had to paint too – and who’s to say what’s better? …you work within the constraints you’re given.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #27
emtiem
IndyFan

It's a point of view. Makes sense as that's where they'll be seen the most. And there are less differences between a cinema and the home now anyway.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #28
Stoo
IndyFan

Well, I remember a time (pre-1980) when George said that "Star Wars" would NEVER, EVER be shown on TV or released to home video! Oh my, how things have changed...
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #29
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Ben Mankiewicz (co-host of “At the Movies”) sat down with George Lucas, famed director of such blockbusters as the “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” series who has his own company, San Francisco, Calif.-based Lucasfilm Ltd.
Hard to take it for much, since the first paragraph already reveals that the writer did not do his homework.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #30
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Hard to take it for much, since the first paragraph already reveals that the writer did not do his homework.
Regardless of the reporters understanding, a quote from Lucas is a quote from Lucas.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #31
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Here's a piece from the Wall Street Journal. Take it for what you will

GL: Yeah…it does come to be like Michelangelo, who loved sculpture but had to paint too – and who’s to say what’s better? …you work within the constraints you’re given.

Did he just compare himself to Michelangelo? I'm not a Lucas-hater, but... wow.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #32
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones

I bet you a majority of the general public could name more movies Lucas was involved in rather than any works by Michaelangelo.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #33
Attila the Professor

Quote:

Would you rather he compare his artistic dilemma to that of the muralist who only does restaurant walls when he'd rather do public works projects? Michelangelo is probably the most compelling example of an artist forced to work in a medium he'd rather not. So why not use that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
I bet you a majority of the general public could name more movies Lucas was involved in rather than any works by Michaelangelo.

I've read a book on the Sistine Chapel, know about the project for Pope Julius II's tomb, have had to compare Michelangelo's David to those done by other sculptors, and consider myself at least moderately well-versed in art...and I can still name far more films Lucas was involved in (15 are coming to mind). And I'd say that most of the general public can probably come up with either 10 or 11, depending on whether they remember American Graffiti or not.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #34
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
We'll have to wait and see if people still marvel at them in 500 years. That's the true test. My guess is probably not (and we'll all be dead so we'll never know, unfortunately).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attlia the Professor
And I'd say that most of the general public can probably come up with either 10 or 11, depending on whether they remember American Graffiti or not.
...or "More American Graffiti", "Howard the Duck", "Tucker", "Radioland Murders", "Kagemusha", etc.

I went to Rome for the 1st time last summer and Michelangelo's scupltures put everyone else's to shame. Never mind the Sistine Chapel.

P.S. Silver screen or iPhone, he's still working with the same medium (motion picture) so the comparison is rather silly (although I do understand his point).

Last edited by Stoo : 10-07-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #35
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Lucas is right. As someone in the working class, especially in this recession, families rent and buy DVD's because going to the movies is way too expensive. The family and I went to the cinema a couple of mouths back and it was 50 bucks for all of us.

Now, if you buy the DVD you have better value for money- $25 bucks when it first comes out and it goes down in price as it continues to get sold (usually to about 15 bucks or even 12 bucks, the same as an adult ticket at the BO).

So in which case, you buy a nice HD TV and you buy the DVD's and 80c worth of pop corn and there's your basic home cinema.

The fact is the studios get their majority of returns from DVD sales NOT the cinema. If you want to see the true popularity of a film in terms of sales, you go by rental sales and DVD sales. Of course, now you would probably also go by downloads.

There's change in the air, and the industry has to change their focus and go with it because as usual, there's money to be made from it!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #36
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Still, it would be nice to see someone take a stand against the erosion of the immersive, often mind-blowing experience you get when watching a film on a huge screen with great surround sound for the sake of convenience and increased profits. Sometimes art needs a grand presentation to be truly appreciated.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #37
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Of course, now you would probably also go by downloads.

There's change in the air, and the industry has to change their focus and go with it because as usual, there's money to be made from it!
The two things that are in fact negating each other.

Nowadays, you can get a DVD-quality file delivered into your hard drive in a matter of mere minutes, without paying a dime for it. Yes, this is illegal in most parts of the world, but the effect is kind of dampened in people's moral compass because you're simply making an identical copy without retratcing from the number of the originals. This, and the fact it's technically impossible to get caught.

For the time being, people still buy DVDs, but the habit described above is getting more and more common since the technology turning people into thieves by opportunity is spreading further and further. So to say money can be made from this now doesn't mean it can be made from it in the future.

In fact, if I was a movie maker, I'd take the complete opposite route. Enchance the theater experience, since this is something most people can't fit into their flats any time soon... if ever.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #38
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:

Neither am I, but it sounds like he's been drinking his own Kool-Aid! He's obviously got some sack!

I think originally he was motivated by art and expressing himself that way...but change is inevitable. He became a mogul and found other things he enjoyed and other ways of expressing himself.

Unfortunately I don't appreciate his focus on DVD sales. I still enjoy the cinema experience and think his "artistic" shift is a symptom of the problems with SW I-III, Crystal Skull...ect.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #39
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
I think originally he was motivated by art and expressing himself that way...but change is inevitable. He became a mogul and found other things he enjoyed and other ways of expressing himself.
During the build-up to "Phantom Menace", 60 Minutes did a segment on him. It featured an interview with Coppola where he said, "I feel Star Wars has robbed America of one of it's greatest directors." I'm pretty sure it was in the same segment that Lucas said that after Episode III was done, he would finish with Star Wars and move on to make "more arty-type" films. Hasn't happened yet...(For the record, I'm not a Lucas hater either.)

Has anyone here ever seen his *student* version of "THX-1138"? It F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G ROCKS!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #40
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I'm not a Lucas hater either

"Ye shall know them by their fruits" Matthew 7:16.

If if walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it must be a duck.

If the shoe fits, wear it.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #41
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild

If if walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it must be a duck.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

Unless it's made of wood, and floats...then its:
Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #42
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
In fact, if I was a movie maker, I'd take the complete opposite route. Enchance the theater experience, since this is something most people can't fit into their flats any time soon... if ever.
Agreed. Bring back the SENSE-A-ROUND experience like "Earthquake" and "Midway"! Also, when the film "Polyester" was in theatres, in was presented with ODORAMA where each audience member had a scratch & sniff card to be used at certain moments indicated by a number on-screen.
Quote:
Give it a rest, will ya please?
Quote:
Unless it's made of wood, and floats...then its:
"...a WITCH!!!" (another great flick)
Old 10-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #43
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Agreed. Bring back the SENSE-A-ROUND experience like "Earthquake" and "Midway"! Also, when the film "Polyester" was in theatres, in was presented with ODORAMA where each audience member had a scratch & sniff card to be used at certain moments indicated by a number on-screen.
Give it a rest, will ya please?
"...a WITCH!!!" (another great flick)

Nah, I'm sick and tired of Anti-Star Wars people. I'm sick and tired of the Prequel Trilogy Hatred. Sneez! People act worst than children at times. I'm tired of the George Lucas haters!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #44
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Stop the Star Wars hatred people.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/10...ounty-hunters/

This show is preparing the way for yet another great Star Wars experience next year.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #45
Rocket Surgeon

Old 10-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #46
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Star Wars owns!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #47
Rocket Surgeon

Old 10-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #48
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Wow, I'd not noticed Aurra Sing in Episode I before.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #49
Rocket Surgeon

Last edited by Rocket Surgeon : 10-09-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #50
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Nah, I'm sick and tired of Anti-Star Wars people. I'm sick and tired of the Prequel Trilogy Hatred. Sneez! People act worst than children at times. I'm tired of the George Lucas haters!
Well, "that ain't me, babe". I love "Star Wars". All of it (except the "Ewoks" cartoon) and that includes the "Holiday Special" (which Lucas had NO control over). I was just bringing up appopriate quotes from an interview and I'd like to see him work on something NEW. Have you ever seen his student version of "THX-1138"?

When I said "Give it a rest", I meant your endless, tiresome bible thumping. Speaking of "children", two of the loudest ones on this board live in the same RV! (Hint: You know both of them, Redeemed CHILD).
Quote:
Wow, I'd not noticed Aurra Sing in Episode I before.
(facepalm)