Shia: We botched the last Indiana Jones film

Indy's brother

Rocket Surgeon said:
Hey Raiders did it, it looked stupid, but it worked.

It's all about execution.:hat:

True that.

Udvarnoky said:
Shia is just using the general perception that Indy4 was a disappointment to play the martyr and pimp his latest movie. "Yes, I'm going to be honest and say that Indy4 blew - now you know you can believe when I say BUY 150 TICKETS TO WALL STREET 2!"

Udvarnoky said:
Good Lord, give me a break. He's using self-deprecation as a cynical, disingenuous way to raise some credibility with Wall Street fans. Can no one else see that?

I think you are absolutely right, and my opinion of his comments have changed a bit since this was first posted. The biggest shock to me is Shia saying,

"I'll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. And believe me, I talk to him often enough to know that I'm not out of line. And I would never disrespect the man. I think he's a genius, and he's given me my whole life. He's done so much great work that there's no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball."

See what he did there? He starts off in the interview taking the blame, then dumps it all over onto Spielberg in the end. Really, this kid's got a pair on him.

Dr.Sartorius

Indy's brother said:
My good Doctor, should any of us have had the good fortune to be in an Indiana Jones movie, would we have refused? Honestly. And what if you were actually a working actor? Who was in good with Spielberg? Seriously now. How can you blame anyone for taking this gig. (let it be known that I am not a Shia fan, just a fan of the voice of reason)

Of course it was a great opportunity for him. And I'm not surprised he took the job. I'm not blaming him for that. I'm just sorry to see him bad mouth a movie he was so enthusiastic about two years ago.

You don't see Daniel Craig badmouthing Pierce Brosnan's Bond films. Certain actors have class and Shia's not one of them.

Having said that, I liked his performance in Indy 4. I thought it was very natural. And he seemed to have good chemistry with Harrison.

Indy's brother

Dr.Sartorius said:
I'm just sorry to see him bad mouth a movie he was so enthusiastic about two years ago............Certain actors have class and Shia's not one of them.

You got that right. At first when I read this interview, I actually fell for it. Now I have less respect for him.

Indy's brother

Dr.Sartorius said:
Is that sarcasm?

Not at all, I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.......until I actually thought about what he was saying, and how he was saying it, and why he was saying it. If taken in context to his career, it's worse than classless, it's sleazy.

Exulted Unicron

Ya know, looking back n that article and seeing that. I think he may have just signed his own death warrant and be written out of Indy V. He did the honourable thing to start with and say it was his fault, then he had the cojones to switch and blame Lucas and Spielberg for the movie.

StoneTriple

First he opens with how it was him dropping the ball, then over the course of the interview he starts to shift the blame to Spielberg, and even manages to drag Ford into his mess while he's at it. Lame and not terribly surprising coming from a kid trying to generate buzz about his next film. Two years ago he was praising the very people he has now turned on. Weak.

AlivePoet

He's made some bad films, but from what I've seen, Indy IV was one of the better ones. The film may be flawed, and yes, he recognizes this... but he's taking it too far, I think. The fanbase was/is largely split over the film's merits, while the general public regarded it as a decent popcorn flick (thanks partially to the big names involved and the character's film legacy, to be sure). By no means was it a flop at the box office. And the majority of critics approved the film.

So...what's in it for him to be apologizing for it now? Some have mentioned his promotional efforts for his upcoming film; quite possibly that's part of it. But remember that Shia said many times before, during and after filming IV that he is a massive Indy fan. So perhaps he is personally dissatisfied with it as a canonical entry in the franchise? If that's the case, you can't fault him for expressing his views as such. If he is really a martyr, perhaps Exulted Unicron isn't far off target when he suggested that Shia may have written out his role in Indy V--if Shia thinks Mutt was part of the problem, here's to a portion of the problem excised. (y)

Though to be honest, I don't think Mutt was a big part of the problem... and I'm quite dubious about Shia's remarks. :sleep:

Lego Indy

arkfinder said:
One (or at least I) get the feeling that he's saying yes there is going to be an Indy 5 & yes I will do better.:gun:

I agree. Indy 5 will have to live up to the high expectations we all have. Part 4 was a showcase to the new generation of Indy fans, but 5 will bring all generations together, new and old. I hope. (y)

oki9Sedo

I think he's being quite hard on himself and the film. Its arguably the weakest film in the series, but still close to the standard.

WeAreGoingToDie

Looks like Shia signed his death certificate for "Indy 5"! Expect Mutt to be off somewhere off-screen on military service or stuck back home while Indy is abroad on an adventure. :whip:

I think Indy 4 had some problems, but overall it was a great summer flick and was on an even level with (if not better than) Temple of Doom. I liked Mutt, but from the sound of this article I now dislike Shia. :dead:

Peru1936

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Looks like Shia signed his death certificate for "Indy 5"! Expect Mutt to be off somewhere off-screen on military service or stuck back home while Indy is abroad on an adventure. :whip:

Sweet. I hope Karen Allen makes some priggish remarks then, too.;)

indyclone25

after reading the article -- i have to say , shia isnt as bad as i thought either , sure the script had flaws but the diector has to step up and say we did what we thought was good work, or not , i thought that kotcs did have its flaws, but i also took it as a popcorn summer flick that you sit back and enjoy the ride ,can any movie match raiders , no. but hoping that the next installment will be better who's to say, we would love to see a much better film but also not a copy of raiders in any respect.so i for one am glad that he a harrison ford thought it could have been better . lets just hope that the next movie doesnt take another 10-15 years to make it to the screen.

Deckard

Good for him and good for Harrison.

Lucas and Speilberg are all washed up.

arkfinder said:
One can only hope he will pour everything he has in Indy 5 :whip: .

This just further proves that 5 will and should never happen. Thank god Harrison isn't an idiot.

kongisking

Jeeze, I did NOT expect this. Wow. I don't know what to say, actually. So does that mean this post is totally pointless?

UIMJ

I'm sure that he and Spielberg are friends, but I have to wonder if he just committed career suicide by saying that. He should be able to critique a piece of work, but a lot of these Hollywood guys are super-prima-donnas who feel entitled to being worshipped a bit.

I could see egos being very easily bruised by Shia's comments. However, I give him credit for speaking up and doing it firmly yet politically.

Indy1970

Load of baloney

Greetings,

My two cents:

Shia - is pandering to sell a new movie.
If you thought the movie stunk and you are such a brave guy - why did you promote it with such vigor.
Saying this a year or more later while selling another movie is pretty classless.

What happens if and when Wall Street 2 is not met with overhwhelming consesus on its greatness and or positive reviews?

Will you say Oliver Stone dropped the ball and that you and Michael Douglas has discussed this?
Please...next time you write the script and direct the movie.