Marion's letter to Mutt

kongisking

I don’t know if anyone has picked this up yet, but just in case, I thought I’d share this with all you fellow obsessive-compulsives out there. While admiring the DVD menu for the second disc of the KOTCS special edition pack, at one point I saw cursive writing flash across the screen during the clip of Spalko unsheathing her sword. Curious, I paused the screen on my computer, and was able to make out a bit. To my delight, it was Marion’s letter to Mutt, telling him to find Indy!

Now, I don’t know if this was actually the intended contents of the letter, or if the text was just invented for O-C geeks like me to stumble upon, but I basically grabbed a pencil and paper, and proceeded to re-watch this section of the menu over and over. I had to pause constantly, in an attempt to catch all of the words. What follows below is what I was able to discern before the text disappears off the screen. Everything in parenthesis is comments that I have made, and in cursive is the actual letter. Hope you all get a kick out of this.

Dear Son,

Please read this letter carefully. I don’t have time to fully explain right now, but I need you to do something for me that is terribly urgent. Ox has stumbled into a very bad situation down here and I’m afraid he won’t get out of it without the help of an old friend of ours. He goes by Indiana Jones but his real name is Dr. Henry Jones. He is a professor at Marshall College in Connecticut.

(The next paragraph is located on the closer left of screen, and appears to be a continuation of the one above.)
It is imperative that you search him out and give him the enclosed page written by Ox just before he was kidnapped. Ox had made some discoveries about the skull that Indiana will have some knowledge of.

(This is the paragraph directly below the first and most prominent one, and continues off the second.)
The effect of these discoveries has taken a huge toll on him and I’m afraid that his behavior makes it appear that he has lost his mind. His captors have threatened to kill him if he doesn’t (at this point the words cannot be made out. I presume it ends with “cooperate” or something like that.)

There was another paragraph on the far left side, but the words were too small for me to make out. Though I think the ending was, “It could be a matter of life and death, but I have all the faith in you. Much love, Mom.”

Stoo

Nice going, Kong.:hat: Is it my imagination or is there somewhere else where a facsimile of the complete letter can be seen?:confused: (I don't have my books with me to check.) Would be interesting to compare the two.

BrodyIsDead

DVD / Blu-Ray menu background text

Apologies if this has already been discussed here (I did some searches but they came back empty!) but I've just noticed on the menu of my Blu-Ray copy of KOTS there's a point where some paragraphs of hand-written text flash towards the screen... The disc is blocked from pausing at this point so I'm just wondering if anyone's ever been able to read what the text is? Is it possibly Marion's letter to Indy? :confused:

Stoo

kongisking said:
(This is the paragraph directly below the first and most prominent one, and continues off the second.)
The effect of these discoveries has taken a huge toll on him and I?m afraid that his behavior makes it appear that he has lost his mind. His captors have threatened to kill him if he doesn?t (at this point the words cannot be made out. I presume it ends with ?cooperate? or something like that.)

There was another paragraph on the far left side, but the words were too small for me to make out. Though I think the ending was, ?It could be a matter of life and death, but I have all the faith in you. Much love, Mom.?
Kong, Marion's letter was one of the props at National Geographic's Indy exhibit. I had a look at my photo to see if the missing parts could be transribed but, unfortunately, the bottom half of the page is covered by Ox's coded letter. However, I did notice one tiny extra detail. (Addition in bold):

"He is a professor at Marshall College in Bedford, Connecticut."

I can post the photo if anyone wants to see it.:)

kongisking

Stoo said:
Kong, Marion's letter was one of the props at National Geographic's Indy exhibit. I had a look at my photo to see if the missing parts could be transribed but, unfortunately, the bottom half of the page is covered by Ox's coded letter. However, I did notice one tiny extra detail. (Addition in bold):

"He is a professor at Marshall College in Bedford, Connecticut."

I can post the photo if anyone wants to see it.:)

I must have missed the word Bedford. That's cool that you got to see the actual letter, Stoo. And, yes, I'd love to have a gander at that pic. :hat:

BrodyIsDead

photo

kongisking said:
I must have missed the word Bedford. That's cool that you got to see the actual letter, Stoo. And, yes, I'd love to have a gander at that pic. :hat:

Stoo, that'd be great to see a copy of that photo - can't wait! (y)

Stoo

@Kong and BrodyIsDead: Here is my photo of Marion's letter to Mutt (from the 2011 presentation of National Geographic's "Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology" exhibition in Montreal, Canada).

Photos were forbidden but I ignored that rule. There were guards walking around so apologies for the poor image quality!:eek:

Exhibit_MarionLetter_02.jpg

kongisking

Stoo said:
@Kong and BrodyIsDead: Here is my photo of Marion's letter to Mutt (from the 2011 presentation of National Geographic's "Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology" exhibition in Montreal, Canada).

Photos were forbidden but I ignored that rule. There were guards walking around so apologies for the poor image quality!:eek:

Exhibit_MarionLetter_02.jpg

That's some cool stuff right there. High-five, Stoo.

P.S. Taking illegal photos? I didn't take you for the breaking-rules type, heh heh...

Stoo

kongisking said:
That's some cool stuff right there. High-five, Stoo.

P.S. Taking illegal photos? I didn't take you for the breaking-rules type, heh heh...
In regards to the rule-breaking: Lucasfilm's Exhibit Manager, Kyra Bowling, said that it was O.K. to take photos. (After being 'caught in the act', I told Montreal's security guards about this but they didn't care because, according to them, it was against the Science Centre's policy.(n))

In any case, I was cleaning up my computer's hard drive and found a full image of Marion's letter. KongIsKing, you were almost spot-on with your original transcription!:hat: I've added the missing parts in bold:

---
Dear Son,

Please read this letter carefully. I don’t have time to fully explain right now, but I need you to do something for me that is terribly urgent. Ox has stumbled into a very bad situation down here and I’m afraid he won’t get out of it without the help of an old friend of ours.

He goes by Indiana Jones but his real name is Dr. Henry Jones. He is a professor of Archaeology at Marshall College in Bedford, Connecticut.

It is imperative that you search him out and give him the enclosed page written by Ox just before he was kidnapped. Ox had made some discoveries about the skull that Indiana will have some knowledge of.

The effect of these discoveries has taken a huge toll on him and I’m afraid that his behavior makes it appear that he has lost his mind. His captors have threatened to kill him if he doesn’t reveal its whereabouts.

You need to explain all of this to Henry Jones, he needs to come here as soon as possible. It could be a matter of life and death.

I have all the faith in you.

Much love,
Mom

MarionLetter.jpg

Last edited: