Indy 5 news 2017

Udvarnoky

The question remains: will he direct something before both of them? He's keeping his schedule suspiciously open for that possibility.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

indytim said:
From Empire (magazine) Online today: Spielberg Will Direct Indiana Jones 5 Before West Side Story https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/spielberg-will-direct-indiana-jones-5-west-side-story/
This Is from The Hollywood Reporter so It Is pretty accurate they are a good Hollywood Trade Paper that my dad used to read in college in the 1970's!

As for who would be a Good Indiana In an Indy reboot I like Chris Pratt I don't think he has much more muscle then Harrison used to have they just put him in tighter clothes to accentuate his muscles for the women watching:whip:

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Udvarnoky said:
The question remains: will he direct something before both of them? He's keeping his schedule suspiciously open for that possibility.
The way I read It was Indy 5 Is His next film he Is directing...

Last edited by a moderator:

seasider

I'd be surprised if Spielberg takes on another project between now and Indy 5. He likes to take long breaks after he has been working on multiple movies. He'll probably use 2018 to recharge his batteries and do pre-production work on Indy 5 and West Side Story.

FordFan

Udvarnoky said:

No. That suspicious opening, in my eyes, would be to make sure "Indy 5" has as strong a script as possible. No reason to make this, other than to apologize for "Indy 4".

Henry Jones VII

seasider said:
I'd be surprised if Spielberg takes on another project between now and Indy 5. He likes to take long breaks after he has been working on multiple movies. He'll probably use 2018 to recharge his batteries and do pre-production work on Indy 5 and West Side Story.
This seems quise plausible to me. These will be two big movie events in need of tremendous pre-production work.

Face_Melt

FordFan said:
No. That suspicious opening, in my eyes, would be to make sure "Indy 5" has as strong a script as possible. No reason to make this, other than to apologize for "Indy 4".

Yeah! Like Rocky Balboa after Rocky V.

Dr.Jonesy

I really, really don't want a fifth film.

As I've probably said here - a fifth film should've been made by 2012-2013 at the very latest and even that was pushing it.

I recall how Spielberg and Lucas say how fun and easy these films are to make but given how much they've dragged their feet with every film past 1984 and especially since 1989 would suggest otherwise.

Harrison is too old - the film is already going to be handicapped at an action-level from the very start due to Harrison's age and the believability factor being something they'll have to watch out for. As much as I love the fourth film, it's evident that with some - the suspension of disbelief was a bit much at times. They have to tone down a fifth film to keep things even for an already potentially skeptical audience.

Plus, I think setting it in the '60s is just too far ahead. It just doesn't feel right.

I think what they should do is maybe do a prequel to Kingdom - de-age Harrison via makeup and digital effects and set it in 1954. The reason for this is simply because it'd be easier to swallow the action set-pieces with Indy not being in his 70s in the canon. Not only that, but Mutt and Marion don't have to be addressed.

A prequel to Kingdom would be ideal for the factor of believable-Indy kicking butt and Harrison does look good for his age, so aging him back 10 years shouldn't be too far a stretch.

I don't know, guys. I think this whole fifth film is a bad idea.

Udvarnoky

The action needs to be dialed down to an extent, but I think people sometimes overstate how physical Indy is in the earlier movies' action sequences, and how critical his physical abilities are in the context of those sequences. If you look at the most iconic action scenes in the series, Indy isn't generally doing things that are that athletic, and the defeat of his foes almost never has to do with physical skill.

The beautiful thing about Indy is that the majority of the scrapes he gets into are resolved by dumb luck or by him resorting to some crazy gambit. Even in the first three movies where Indy is physically capable, that physicality doesn't really help him, as he tends to be outmatched by bigger or more equipped foes. Indy isn't actually capable of beating the German mechanic, so he tricks him into a propeller. Indy doesn't have time to fight the swordsman, so he just shoots him. Indy is outnumbered at the end of Temple, so he cuts the bridge.

Not only would it be really entertaining to watch an old Indy having to find creative or desperate solutions to jams, it would also be completely in-character - and more appropriate than ever.

I am against digitally de-aging Ford. Didn't we get enough digital manipulation in the last movie? The photography in Crystal Skull has this weird digital smear throughout that makes it more reminiscent of Sky Captain than the series it actually belongs to. We need to go in the other direction, not take the artificial look further by giving actors a CGI facial scrub on top of everything else. I don't care how wrinkled Ford is - mortality is far less ugly than whatever Kaminski was doing with his filters in the last movie. Give me something that looks sharp and filmic...you know, like the original films.

JasonMa

Udvarnoky said:
Indy doesn't have time to fight the swordsman, so he just shoots him. Indy is outnumbered at the end of Temple, so he cuts the bridge.
You don't think surviving that move required physicality?

Udvarnoky

Of course, but the point is Indy tends to be put in situations where a direct or fair fight has to be avoided. And I think with good writing you can definitely come up with scenarios for an older Indy that are a lot of fun.

Sure, you can't be having an Indy who is in his 70s jumping from a horse to a moving tank, but that kind of thing was never really the essence of the older movies. I don't think Indy will ever be too old to solve booby traps or outwit opponents. They just need to write a movie that emphasizes that stuff, while leveraging the physicality that Ford can still pull off so it doesn't feel like they're eschewing action altogether. I think with the right creative attitude, a lot of handicaps can become opportunities.

Nosirrah

I've looked at those "Making of..." clips on YouTube, and I notice that both Lucas and Spielberg say that they wanted the films to reflect the cinematic genre that was popular when the action is set. So Raiders emulates those Republic serial cliffhangers, Temple of Doom owes a lot to Gunga Din, and Crystal Skull harks back to the sci-fi B-movies of the '60s.
If that's so, the question is, what would be the '70s genre that they'd take their cue from for IJ5? The mind reels.

Last edited:

Lambonius

Nosirrah said:
what would be the '70s genre that they'd take their cue from for IJ5? The mind reels.

Grindhouse? Blacksploitation? How can we lose? ;)

In all seriousness though, maybe being a fan of the Indy adventure games helps, but I'd be totally fine with professor Indy thinking his way through the adventure with minimal action scenes, or taking on a mentor role to a younger sidekick (just please not another one-note walking parody like Mutt.)

Nosirrah

I can't find the source for this, but I recollect hearing that when somebody once asked the legendary Jack Warner for the secret to making hit movies, he replied, "the first thing you have to realize is that nobody around here knows anything."

If anybody can confirm, deny, or clean that up, I'd appreciate it.

Randy_Flagg

Udvarnoky said:
Sure, you can't be having an Indy who is in his 70s jumping from a horse to a moving tank, but that kind of thing was never really the essence of the older movies.
Wasn't it, though? I mean, the truck chase sequence in Raiders is one of the most iconic scenes in the series, especially Indy falling under the truck, and then being dragged behind it. And yet, it's something that would look absolutely ridiculous if they tried to convince us an 80 year old man was doing.

In TOD, the rope bridge sequence is perhaps the most iconic scene. It's a scene that required a LOT of physical exertion, and even when Indy was a much younger man, he was completely exhausted by the end of it. So there's no way an audience will be convinced that an 80 year man could do it.

The tank chase sequence in LC was the central action scene of that film, but again, it was something that left Indy completely exhausted even when he was much younger, so it would look silly having an 80 year old in a scene like that.

If they make an Indy movie that's devoid of anything resembling these classic Indy scenes, is there really a point to making it at all? Sure, Indy is known for some less physical stuff, too, but I'm just don't think audiences would really get excited about an Indiana Jones movie that doesn't have Indy solidly involved in any major physical action scenes.

I guess they'll rely mainly on vehicle chases for the action scenes, so Indy can just be sitting in a truck, or whatever, ramming bad guys off the road. And, sure, that can be fun, but they pretty much already took that approach with the jungle chase in KOTCS.

Z dweller

Randy_Flagg said:
If they make an Indy movie that's devoid of anything resembling these classic Indy scenes, is there really a point to making it at all?
No, there isn't. And Disney know that only too well.
Look what they did with Star Wars: it was back to the roots all the way, and they knocked it out of the park.

Why should it be any different with Indy?
My bet is that they are going to go back to all action movies, just like the first three were.
And I don't think that car chases and shootouts can fully replace pivotal physical action scenes like those you described, no way.
That's why I believe there is a strong chance in the next movie we may get flashback scenes with a younger actor playing Indy in his prime.

The Ford-led section of the movie will inevitably have to rely on a sidekick to provide support for this type of action, just like we saw in KOTCS. My bet is, this time it'll be a young lady in place of Mutt, some kind of Rey-like character.

Future prequels will feature a younger Indy only, so going back to the roots will be much easier.

curmudgeon

The Last Crusade really did a great job at tricking you into thinking Indy did more physical stuff than he actually did.

The boat chase and tank chase were both mostly Indy having relatively stationary fights (ie. not a lot of running or jumping around), that were made more "exciting" by being set on moving vehicles.

Silvor

As I've said before Indy means different things to different people.
Some enjoy the action and high risk stunts very much.
I want to see what the character of Indy (which I have loved ever since I was a kid) is up to at the tail end of his life. What's happened to him, how he's doing. Sure I want to see him to some cool stuff to prove he's still got it but that's not the draw of the series for me, the character is.

And that is probably why I don't want a recasting, since Ford is the character to me. I can see why people who are more into it for the action and set pieces don't care as much about who's playing Indy though, but for me it would be as if somebody took my friends clothes and just pretended to be my friend.

I would be more than happy with a more dramatic movie dealing with getting older and still having a purpose or something like that.
Though I'm pretty sure that's not what we're going to get as Ford and Spielberg seem to focus on the fun adventure and family movie part whenever Indy is brought up.

Finn

Staff member
To me, it's always been about the character. That's why I think it'd be down right asinine to let it die with the actor.

Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, but Indiana Jones is not Harrison Ford.

Ford gave the character its best known face, but dozens of talented authors over the years have contributed to making the character what it is today - not just actors, but writers, directors, producers, artists, etc etc. And they've done it across multiple mediums. To give credit of all that to just one man is pretty gosh darn insulting to the rest of them.

And there are plenty more waiting to keep the character alive.