The Raven Awards?

AlivePoet

I was joking earlier with Forbidden Eye about receiving a Raven award, but that made me wonder, since I have far too little to do this month--has The Raven ever administered "awards" (i.e., recognition of a ravener's contributions to the community, most humorous contributions, most thoughtful, etc.)? I think it would be fun to have annual awards where Indyfans could receive nominations and then be voted as such (or chosen by judges/mods). Anyway, what do y'all think about this besides it being a completely delightful waste of time?

Edit: I used the search function and found a number of different threads, but they're all pretty old... nevertheless, mods, feel free to close this one if you see fit.

DocWhiskey

That's a pretty good idea, AlivePoet.

The other board I go to has a member award deal at the end of the year. It's actually quite fun and cool.

I say we organize and do it.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I dunno. Do we really have to award people? Only if you had some fun awards, though I would worry this would exclude a lot of people and could become quite political.

And if you get people to vote then it just becomes a popularity competition. :rolleyes:

AlivePoet

All in the name of democracy and Indy-themed bias, certainly. But I'm not going to kick this off... there have been members here for far longer than I who undoubtedly have a veteran Raven-feel and know how it should be done. Moedred seems like a fine candidate to get things underway. :hat:

Violet Indy said:
I dunno. Do we really have to award people? Only if you had some fun awards, though I would worry this would exclude a lot of people and could become quite political.

Oh the awards would definitely have to be fun. For example, scratch "most objective contributor" and replace it with "most representative avatar" to match a personality. I'll take the cake with that one, no doubt.
<----- :rolleyes:

Violet Indy said:
And if you get people to vote then it just becomes a popularity competition. :rolleyes:

Well, yes, but those who are most popular will no doubt be those who contribute the most, and therefore, will they not be the most worthy of these specific awards?

Last edited:

DocWhiskey

AlivePoet said:
]I'm not going to kick this off... there have been members here for far longer than I who undoubtedly have a veteran Raven-feel and know how it should be done.

Bah. It's an Indiana Jones message board, not a high society law firm.

If you got an idea that you think is good, run with it.

If somebody has more posts and years on you, that doesn't make them a "veteran". It means they have to get a job.

Like me:p

AlivePoet

DocWhiskey said:
Bah. It's an Indiana Jones message board, not a high society law firm.

If you got an idea that you think is good, run with it.

If somebody has more posts and years on you, that doesn't make them a "veteran". It means they have to get a job.

Like me:p

There's an idea: "Most Successful Unemployed Ravener."

Gear

AlivePoet said:
Well, yes, but those who are most popular will no doubt be those who contribute the most, and therefore, will they not be the most worthy of these specific awards?

No. Popularity does not equal one's worth. It's quality not quantity. You know how in high school it's all the popular kids who are labeled "most funny" or, my personal peeve, "most unique" (even though they wear shirts with corporate names like Aeropostal and Holister with $40 pre-torn jeans) yet they're typically the most cookie-cutter people you know?

In fact, there are a couple interesting folks I've encountered here who seem to rarely post, so...

AlivePoet

Gear said:
No. Popularity does not equal one's worth. It's quality not quantity. You know how in high school it's all the popular kids who are labeled "most funny" or, my personal peeve, "most unique" (even though they wear shirts with corporate names like Aeropostal and Holister with $40 pre-torn jeans) yet they're typically the most cookie-cutter people you know?

In fact, there are a couple interesting folks I've encountered here who seem to rarely post, so...

I think you misinterpreted my post, which was quasi-tongue-in-cheek. My point is that for an online-based forum, "awards" that really have no significance beyond a few lines of text and a cool little emoticon or "title" (whatever it may be) should not be taken seriously... let the couple interesting folks who you've encountered be awarded something outside The Raven, or an honorary mention, if you prefer, here. But The Raven awards as I see them are for the folks who make this site what it is, and you can't discount those who do post quantity over quality, for they contribute to the atmosphere, whether we like it or not. ;) But of course quality is also considered.

The thing is, we don't know each other in real life, and all we have to go on is what people post. That's why The Raven awards shouldn't be taken seriously; it's a tongue-in-cheek deal based on text. That's my general opinion of what The Raven awards are.

Webley

I got a "Raven Award" a long time ago I cant rember way but I gut one I think it was for being a new member back in 2003?

Sounds like a cool idea...you should take requests on some new categories and vote on those first. The more participation the better! Get on with it!

AlivePoet

Alright, here goes:

First new award:
Best Peacemaker: Including he or she whose brilliance at maintaining or inciting peace among forumers will be recognized and awarded.

Second:
Best Indy V Idea: Including best story idea, brilliant macguffin, and containing the most "Indy"ish vibe.

Third:
Most Poetic Poster: Including brilliance of textual personality, most fluent form of posting, strong and evocative language, love for adjectives.

Fourth:
Most Comedic Poster: Including brilliance of textual wit, use of pictures and video.

Fifth:
Most Successful Unemployed Ravener: Including brilliance of post-making and ideas, obtaining a coveted success spot within The Raven community while maintaining the status of "unemployed" in real life.

Sixth:
Best Kingdom Defender: Including brilliance* in defending the fourth film of the franchise, amidst the heaviest criticism.

And those are the new six I have so far. Tell me, what think you all?

*Relative to perspective

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I liked your "The Ravener with the Avatar that Suits Them". Make that seventh.

I guess you could have, "Most Flirtatous Ravener", "Which Raveners would make a great couple", "Ravener that has the Best arguments Against KOTCS", "Youngest Ravener", "Oldest Ravener", "Ravener that looks like Indy the most", "Ravener with the Most SA Gear" and "Ravener that is Most Consistent with Great Threads".

AlivePoet

Violet Indy said:
I liked your "The Ravener with the Avatar that Suits Them". Make that seventh.

I guess you could have, "Most Flirtatous Ravener", "Which Raveners would make a great couple", "Ravener that has the Best arguments Against KOTCS", "Youngest Ravener", "Oldest Ravener", "Ravener that looks like Indy the most", "Ravener with the Most SA Gear" and "Ravener that is Most Consistent with Great Threads".

And let's not forget "Most Ambiguous Ravener" and "Most Mysterious Ravener."

Finn

Staff member
How about "The Ravener who comes up with the most ridiculous suggestion for an Award category"? (Talk about self-fulfilling prophecy!)

Okay, I'm going to assume that I'm not the only one joking around here.

That last attempt still chronologued in our databanks never turned into a tradition because the parties behind it did a poor attempt to hide the fact that it was merely held so that select few could pat each other in the back.

Even the "winners" didn't find it that special in the end, mostly because the upkeep wasn't in on it. There was no special titles or cool avatars (well, I think no one had avatars back then) and those who did even a slightest attempt to act like they were special due to receiving an "award" were quickly put back in their place by the moderation team. (Well, most of them were smart enough not to do that in the first place.)

As a mod, I must now clarify that if you're seriously planning for a new "ceremony", this wasn't an attempt to talk you down. I can't speak for all the mods, but my stance on it is the same as it was six years ago. If you kids want to have some fun, I'm not going to stop you...

Le Saboteur

AlivePoet said:
And let's not forget "Most Ambiguous Ravener" and "Most Mysterious Ravener."

But "ambiguous" has so many connotations. ;)

How about: "It's not the years, it's the miles" Award. Given to The Ravenite (Ravener sounds like you're hungry.) who logs the most travel miles over the course of the year? Photographic evidence or some other form of proof would be required, of course.

Following that train of thought, "Most Indy-like Photo" Award. Or "Best Travel Photo", etc.

IAdventurer01

Another Raven Awards? I'd be fine with that! (y) I can't say I have many suggestions unless you want some help. If memory serves, I helped run the last one back in '05.

Finn

Staff member
IAdventurer01 said:
If memory serves, I helped run the last one back in '05.
If you'd read the whole thread, you'd noticed that the last one was in '03, actually.

AlivePoet

Finn said:
If you'd read the whole thread, you'd noticed that the last one was in '03, actually.

Guess memory doesn't serve quite as well. ;)

And Finn, these awards I definitely see as a joke. I don't understand how anyone could feel seriously special over receiving one... that's part of the reason that I also think that new "awards" should be developed for humour's sake, getting away from the more serious categories in '03!