American tourist snaps Italian statue?s finger off

WilliamBoyd8

Aug. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM ET

A Missouri man traveling in Italy accidentally broke the finger off of an early 15th century sculpture when he attempted to compare hand sizes with the Virgin Mary.

Violating the first rule of visiting a museum, an American tourist in Italy has generated shock and outrage by snapping the finger off a 600-year-old statue at a museum in Florence.

Whether he was comparing hand spans or giving the statue a high five is unclear but the end result was that the pinky finger of the statue?s right hand was broken off.

Despite apologizing for his action, the tourist could be liable for a large fine, according to The (UK) Independent.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/look-...urist-snaps-italian-statues-finger-6C10861796

"Indiana Jones and the Lost Pinkie"?

:)

Montana Smith

"It?s part of the process of traveling and gaining experience,? she said. "The best way to learn is to make mistakes..."

h28B0E226

Finn

Staff member
Those Americans... always flipping a finger to the Grand European culture.

Sea Monarch

WilliamBoyd8 said:
Aug. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM ET

A Missouri man traveling in Italy accidentally broke the finger off of an early 15th century sculpture when he attempted to compare hand sizes with the Virgin Mary.

Violating the first rule of visiting a museum, an American tourist in Italy has generated shock and outrage by snapping the finger off a 600-year-old statue at a museum in Florence.

Whether he was comparing hand spans or giving the statue a high five is unclear but the end result was that the pinky finger of the statue’s right hand was broken off.

Despite apologizing for his action, the tourist could be liable for a large fine, according to The (UK) Independent.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/look-...urist-snaps-italian-statues-finger-6C10861796

"Indiana Jones and the Lost Pinkie"?

:)

Lol!!! The very instant I read the words "A Missouri man travelling in Italy....." I thought to myself, "Ohhh man, this can't be good!" :eek: Yeah, they're a different (in)breed out there. Cue the dueling Banjos! Bwaahahaha!!! I keed! I keeed! :gun: (y)

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
Those Americans... always flipping a finger to the Grand European culture.

The-Mummy-Movies-Fan-Art-the-mummy-movies-33401414-500-213.gif

'nuff said.

I was tossed from the Smithsonian at the tender age of ten(?) for taking a painting off the wall and walking across the gallery with it. In my defense I really wanted my dad to see the painting, but he wasn't paying attention. I've never been able to remember the actual painting, but it was from the Revolutionary War Gallery. My dad flipped. Security was more understanding, but I spent the rest of the day in the parking garage.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
I was tossed from the Smithsonian at the tender age of ten(?) for taking a painting off the wall and walking across the gallery with it...

This is about the best thing ever I've ever read on the Raven. You Thomas Crown you.

Finn

Staff member
Indeed. One for the books for sure. Your dad should have been proud of the artistic genius he managed to sire, though. In one fell swoop, you proved that "moving arts" is not just a modern trend.