How soon after Indy 4 will Indy 5 rumours start?

James

I'm honestly surprised Ford is still saying he would do another one. After the legendary wait we had for Indy 4, I'm sure no one would be surprised to hear him say, "This is the last one."

I personally think they probably have plans in mind for at least one more adventure. And realistically, it could be done within the next three years. I'd still like to see an old, bearded Indy going on one last epic quest.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Considering I know the ending, I'm quite happy for the whole series to end that way. I don't really want a 5. This one's enough of a risk as it is. I don't think there's really anywhere to go after 4's ending unless you go with a, er.... spin-off, which very few people want. Even I'm not sure about a Mutt spinoff and I fancy Shia.

Shortie

I wouldn't mind a 5th, but that's it. For some reason I want these 80's action franchises to end at 5 since I also want a 5th Die Hard.

Possible ideas:
Atlantis (Based on the game except in the 50's with Mutt, Marion & maybe even adult Short Round!)

Fountain of Youth (Same cast as above)

Garden of Eden (Ditto)

That Lost Diary of Indiana Jones book makes me want to see adult treasure hunter Shortie. What was the Monkey king script about? It sounds interesting, Indy would have an adventure on all the major continents. Yeah sc*** Australia & Antartica, they more like islands anyway. :p No offense any Australians.

MovieLover152

Well, I've heard of the studios "Locking" Harrison and Shia In incase the movie does good and Steven and George decide to make more of them.
By the way, Hollywood usually does this.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Shortie said:
I wouldn't mind a 5th, but that's it. For some reason I want these 80's action franchises to end at 5 since I also want a 5th Die Hard.

Possible ideas:
Atlantis (Based on the game except in the 50's with Mutt, Marion & maybe even adult Short Round!)

Fountain of Youth (Same cast as above)

Garden of Eden (Ditto)

That Lost Diary of Indiana Jones book makes me want to see adult treasure hunter Shortie. What was the Monkey king script about? It sounds interesting, Indy would have an adventure on all the major continents. Yeah sc*** Australia & Antartica, they more like islands anyway. :p No offense any Australians.

*Was going to whack you with a frying pan for that remark, but figure it ain't worth it anyway coz a lot of Americans think that, and it most certainly isn't true, and obvious you've never come to Australia as Antartica is really a big block of ice melting and Australia is a different thing all together, having said that, Australia is pretty backward and I want to leave *

Besides, I wouldn't want to see an Indy movie in Australia. We don't have any cool MacGuffins.

Mickiana

Yeah, it's true we don't have any ancient treasures here, at least nothing religious, gold or shiny that anyone has heard of. Otherwise it's not a bad place. We've got a lot of ancient natural stuff but that won't make for a good plot device. Still, Indy could have a holiday here en route to somewhere. A shot of Ayers Rock in an Indy flick might look pretty spectacular...

pitt_norton

Shortie said:
What was the Monkey king script about?

Monkey King dealt with, from memory, the famous Chinese mythology story of Journey to The West - with of course an Indy spin on the proceedings.

The script by Chris Columbus also had an early version of Mac, who in the script appeared in the opening sequence as a scottish detective battling ghosts with Indy in a haunted castle. It's great to read Mac's physical description matching exactly Ray Windstone look in Crystal Skull!

Kingsley

Ford, Lucas and Spielberg seemed more definitive when they said there would be no other indy movie after LC back in those days than now... so, who knows?

I'm out of spoilers for a couple of weeks now, but it seems to me the return of Marion brings some kind of closure to the series
(Violet Indy's post gave that idea a push forward :rolleyes: please, try to be more ambiguous in these spoiler free threads);)

So, where to go from here?
Maybe while developing the 4th, they found some ideas here (Tree of Life) and thought they were great, but for a 5th movie...
maybe Pale Horse, Lornconner, Moedred and co. are responsable for one last indy movie after all (y)

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=4601&highlight=garden+life

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Kingsley said:
Ford, Lucas and Spielberg seemed more definitive when they said there would be no other indy movie after LC back in those days than now... so, who knows?

I'm out of spoilers for a couple of weeks now, but it seems to me the return of Marion brings some kind of closure to the series
(Violet Indy's post gave that idea a push forward :rolleyes: please, try to be more ambiguous in these spoiler free threads);)

So, where to go from here?
Maybe while developing the 4th, they found some ideas here (Tree of Life) and thought they were great, but for a 5th movie...
maybe Pale Horse, Moedred and co. are responsable for one last indy movie after all (y)

I didn't say a word about Marion and closure. I thought I was being ambiguous or is it my reputation as being a big Marion fan cause you to come to the conclusion that Marion is there for closure? Or is it just because I'm happy with the ending that you think that? I'm actually happy with the ending (not saying exactly what part of it) for a different reason and won't dismiss nor confirm that possible details of Marion's part in the ending because of where we are.

Mickiana

The Tree of Life will not be convincing. Only fundamentalists believe that the tree was anything real. The Adam and Eve story is metaphor and the tree is only symbolic of something deeper. It was made up to tell a certain story to pass on a certain lesson. Plus it doesn't sound exciting enough in terms of a B grade adventure movie. The object will have to be mystical as well as man-made for a perceived value to occur and it will have to be something we have heard of or at least can understand in terms of stretched credibility.

Wittmann

now that we are used to an old Indy, why not a fifth movie?

one or two years older wouldnt make a difference. but of course it all depends on the box office.

Kingsley

Violet Indy said:
I didn't say a word about Marion and closure. I thought I was being ambiguous or is it my reputation as being a big Marion fan cause you to come to the conclusion that Marion is there for closure?
You didn't say anythong spoilerish, and you are right, it has to do with your reputation as big Marion fan... my mind fastly puts pieces toghether, and that's my fault, so I asked for more ambiguity, but I know "more" would probably mean no possible concrete talk :rolleyes:
So, maybe it's time for me to take a ten days pause if I want to put my mind to rest before the premiere.

Mickiana said:
The Tree of Life will not be convincing. Only fundamentalists believe that the tree was anything real. The Adam and Eve story is metaphor and the tree is only symbolic of something deeper.
I agree, but it's the idea of dealing with the very origins of human life, and the mortality (Indys mortality included) that sounds appealing. There could be an archaeological object that refers to that.

By the way, maybe all this Crystal Skull stuff deals with humans life origin too, but if it comes to preferences, I like the religious approach better.

donufro

I remember hearding somewhere they originally wanted to do 5.

However, even if by some miracle they all agreed on a script - which took years to do for this movie - they all have schedules to keep, especially Spielberg, who I think has at least 2, if not 3 movies to direct after this one. Given this, it's at least 2 or 3 years before he'll be available, at which point Harrison will be 67/68. Lucas will have his new live action show to produce, etc. It's completely unrealistic. Indy, as we know him, will be put to bed with this one.

And those are the key words: Indy as we know him.

Assuming a huge success, I would not be surprised if they restarted the series with a whole new set of cast/crew. They did it with James Bond (even with people saying it was blasphemy to have Bond without Connery, which is what we are saying with IJ sans Ford) they did it with Batman, Superman, and Star Wars. Money does indeed talk. And of course, it will cheapen Indiana Jones, but the studios don't care. There's no reason to think they wouldn't go on without Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford.

But the consolation is: purists don't have to watch the new ones if we don't want to.

Last edited:

Shortie

Violet Indy said:
*Was going to whack you with a frying pan for that remark, but figure it ain't worth it anyway coz a lot of Americans think that, and it most certainly isn't true, and obvious you've never come to Australia as Antartica is really a big block of ice melting and Australia is a different thing all together, having said that, Australia is pretty backward and I want to leave *

Besides, I wouldn't want to see an Indy movie in Australia. We don't have any cool MacGuffins.

Well Australia is really just a huge island.

SW PT didn't really have an entirely new cast Anthony Daniels, Frank Oz, Kenny Baker & Peter Mayhew all returned.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Kingsley said:
please, try to be more ambiguous in these spoiler free threads
Oops, we didn't have the spoiler forum when this thread began. Moved.

There's an inorganic MacGuffin mention 66 times in that Tree of Life thread. Or you could just read Genesis. Didn't any of you guys ever go to Sunday school? :) And what's this assumption they don't have a script for Indy 5? Evidence, please.