Sean Connery in Indy 5?

Darth Vile

Henry W Jones said:
They need to let poor Henry go. I love his character but they made it pretty clear he died. Connery was great in LC but I want them to avoid going back to the old films. Leave the dead dead. I wouldn't mind Sallahs return or even Marion if its not all jokey dialogue between her and Indy but leave Mutt in school and let Sr R.I.P.
No more nods to the previous films. Let's do something fresh this time. And bringing back Sr will take away from a serious adventure and lead to a movie full of two older guys bantering. You might as well make a movie about those two guys in the balcony on the Muppets.

It's a pity really because I thought they killed off Henry Jones Senior too cheaply i.e. without any dramatic effect/consequence in KOTCS - other than Indy feeling a bit isolated and down. Better if they'd kept him alive, and off screen, or have some significant on-screen ramification of his death that drove Indy through the quest. Besides... we all know that Henry Jones Senior should have lived into his 100's after drinking from the Grail. ;)

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
It's a pity really because I thought they killed off Henry Jones Senior too cheaply i.e. without any dramatic effect/consequence in KOTCS - other than Indy feeling a bit isolated and down. Better if they'd kept him alive, and off screen, or have some significant on-screen ramification of his death that drove Indy through the quest. Besides... we all know that Henry Jones Senior should have lived into his 100's after drinking from the Grail. ;)

I can see why they did it, apart from Connery not wanting to be involved: Indy having reconciled his relationship with his father in 1938, we might expect that to be reiinforced in 1957. They gave us that with the photo on the desk, while at the same time making a clean break: there's no going back.

It wasn't an ideal situation, as the relationship of the father and older son (Indy) was more compelling than that of the father and the younger son (Mutt).

KOTCS was creating a climate of isolation for Indy, readying him for marriage and family. That wasn't ideal either.

EvilEmperorZoRG

Henry W Jones said:
They need to let poor Henry go. I love his character but they made it pretty clear he died. Connery was great in LC but I want them to avoid going back to the old films. Leave the dead dead. I wouldn't mind Sallahs return or even Marion if its not all jokey dialogue between her and Indy but leave Mutt in school and let Sr R.I.P.
No more nods to the previous films. Let's do something fresh this time. And bringing back Sr will take away from a serious adventure and lead to a movie full of two older guys bantering. You might as well make a movie about those two guys in the balcony on the Muppets.

Oh yes, the greatest issue of KotcS for me was that Sallah was missing. If Indy 5 has Sallah in it it's already gonna be a much better movie than the 4th one !

Stoo

EvilEmperorZoRG said:
It would be nice if Indy finds his old father now after thinking he was killed in the war or something like that. He was actually captured for something {can't think a reason now}and he was on the run hidding somewhere....and the story goes on ;)
Seems nice to me, what you guys think ?
About Connery's retirement, I think he can make an exeption for Indiana Jones. It's not a new movie, it's a special movie for us and for him too IMO. It will be nice to end his acting career on an ending scene like the one from Last Crusade !
If you pay attention to the dialogue in "Skull", Henry Sr. died well after WW2 was over. Plus, Connery is now in his 80s and his health is failing. Don't expect to see him in a new Indy movie.
moon_tan said:
Going off topic for a few seconds, I was hoping Sean Connery would have been able to make an appearance in the new James Bond movie, SKYFALL (2012), since they are going to be filming scenes in Scotland and it is the 50th Anniversary movie.
Perhaps you aren't aware but Connery lives comfortably in the Bahamas* and won't go back to Scotland until it seperates from the U.K.

*(My best friend goes to the Bahamas once a year and has met him numerous times. He has even been to Connery's house. No joke.:))
Henry W Jones said:
Connery was great in LC but I want them to avoid going back to the old films. Leave the dead dead.
A sentiment we both share. Henry Sr. is dead.:dead:

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
*(My best friend goes to the Bahamas once a year and has met him numerous times. He has even been to Connery's house. No joke.:))

That sir is impressive. I don't think I'll ever get that chance considering he's 80.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
I believe he now spends his time on roses, Tanagra figurines, and Debussy.
He also likes to golf.
Darth Vile said:
It's a pity really because I thought they killed off Henry Jones Senior too cheaply i.e. without any dramatic effect/consequence in KOTCS - other than Indy feeling a bit isolated and down. Better if they'd kept him alive, and off screen, or have some significant on-screen ramification of his death that drove Indy through the quest.
I, somewhat, agree with this, Darth. According to expanded-universe-Indy-lore, Henry Sr. would've been 85 in 1957. Had he still been alive at that point:

"I've jusht resheived thish shtrange letter from Harold Oxshley...but I'm a dying man, Junior. Thish is a tashk deshtined for you, boy."
Dr. Gonzo said:
That sir is impressive. I don't think I'll ever get that chance considering he's 80.
Yes, I'm very jealous of my buddy since his sister is friends with Connery & lives in the same neighbourhood (this is the very 1st time I've ever mentioned it here at The Raven). He has some fun stories, that's for sure!:)

emtiem

Oddly enough I also know someone who's been to his house there quite a few times! And yeah... stories... :)

I don't think I want him to bother doing any films or anything: enjoy your retirement Sir Sean.

I think this was the last time I saw him on telly and he sounded a bit frail then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtgAuy1rmA

Dr. Gonzo

emtiem said:
I don't think I want him to bother doing any films or anything: enjoy your retirement Sir Sean.

I think this was the last time I saw him on telly and he sounded a bit frail then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtgAuy1rmA

He does sound frail, but if you think about it, its not bad for 80-something years old. I will definitely shed some tears when Connery passes.
Dr. Gonzo thinks a moment
Wow that was morbid. Sorry I brought the conversation down that road :dead:

moon_tan

Well, all of us men will have to face Old Father Time. We have used our body so much, that eventually our hips and legs have had it. Michael Caine said himself, his friend Sean Connery was not moving around much.
I would love to see Sean Connery make an appearance in SKYFALL (2012), even if they have to use a green screen.
They are allowing Connery to have his dignity. Traveling in your 80's, can be embarrassing. It's important to stay home where you can be safe and near your medication and loved ones.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
I can see why they did it, apart from Connery not wanting to be involved: Indy having reconciled his relationship with his father in 1938, we might expect that to be reiinforced in 1957. They gave us that with the photo on the desk, while at the same time making a clean break: there's no going back.

It wasn't an ideal situation, as the relationship of the father and older son (Indy) was more compelling than that of the father and the younger son (Mutt).

KOTCS was creating a climate of isolation for Indy, readying him for marriage and family. That wasn't ideal either.

I agree - I see why they did it... I just thought the net result wasn't worth it. I also agree that they tried to recreate a dynamic in KOTCS that, unfortunately, could not match the one in TLC (as we've discussed in other threads).

Stoo said:
"I've jusht resheived thish shtrange letter from Harold Oxshley...but I'm a dying man, Junior. Thish is a tashk deshtined for you, boy."
LOL - I can just imagine it... :)

Toht's Arm

Connery in Indy 5 would never happen, and I seriously hope they don't go down the route of having Indy looking for a missing person AGAIN. Enough of that. I can deal with another family outing (we're never really going to have Indy on his own again, are we?) but at least make it that he isn't simply following in someone else's footsteps.

IndyForever

Close the thread Connery is retired & very frail anyway last time he was on TV in the UK on a news item about Scotland he really sounded quite unwell & does not even have the Jones Snr voice anymore he looked shockingly unwell. So I can understand why he is no longer acting as he has aged a lot in the past 5 years alone he now looks a lot older than he is so I hope he has a very happy retirement.

The chance for Connery to have 1 last Indy adventure ended when KOTCS took 19 years to make I'm affraid.

Dr. Gonzo

Nurhachi1991 said:
Wait... theres an Indy 5?
z221404212.gif

Professor Henry Jones: Junior?
Indiana Jones: Dad? You still alive?
Professor Henry Jones: It *is* you, Junior.
Indiana Jones: Don't call me that. *Please*. I'm 72.

Randy_Flagg

Instead of getting Sean back, they should have had Daniel Craig play Indy's son in KOTCS. Then Indy's father and son would both be James Bonds.