Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge

MaverickKing

IndianaJonesAndTheGenesisDeluge.jpg

London, 1927. Since losing his beloved Deirdre in the Amazon a year ago, Indiana Jones has settled down with his Ph.D. and taught Celtic archaeology, thinking he left adventure behind. Yet Indy is rather tempted when a wild-eyed Russian doctor, Vladimir Zobolotsky, tries to recruit him for an expedition to search for Noah's Ark...and then finally takes the dangerous quest after meeting Vladimir's alluring daughter, Katrina.

They set out for Istanbul and Mount Ararat, fabled location of Noah's Ark, when trouble erupts. Kremlin agents, Sicilian "enforcers," and Turkish bandits all attempt to bar Vladimir, Katrina, and Indiana Jones from the archaeological find of the century...and a certain 950-year-old boat-builder...

I've just ordered this book. Should be coming in in the next few days, and I plan on reviewing it here.

Until then - what are your thoughts on Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge? Discuss!

The Drifter

MaverickKing I've just ordered this book. Should be coming in in the next few days said:
Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge[/i]? Discuss!

Been awhile since I read this, but it was an okay book. It was a little light on the action IMO, and sometimes the story flowed too fast. But, overall it was pretty decent.

dr.jones1986

It was a pretty good book, although my favorite MacGregor book was probably Dance of the Giants. Seven Veils was probably my favorite for the first half, but got to over the top in the second half. Genesis Deluge was pretty good, but the story of Noah's ark is a little to fantastic, even more so than KotCS.

indyclone25

it has been awhile since i read it. i read it back when it was first released it was a good story as i remember --- i will have to take time and reread it again ,

Saber79

Been awhile for me also, but I remember enjoying it a lot. Like Indyclone, I'll have to go back and re-read it. Enjoy!

AnnieJones

I read this book and the one thing that stuck out for me,as far as historically goes(because I'm a history geek),is the Blackstone Hotel that Indiana Jones stayed at.Indiana Jones described it in detail and after I read that,I thought that I should go and look it up to see if it was real.And of course it is.That's one thing I always like about Indiana Jones stories.They always put a little bit of real in the stories.Such as historic people,places,and artifacts.Indy described the hotel as being "famous,luxurious,and expensive."
Anyway,here is a picture of the hotel in 1912.
Blackstone1a-1912.gif

And here is what it looked like in 2008.So,that's probably what it looks like now.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/20080409_Blackstone_Hotel_Exterior2.JPG

Indy also described what the lobby looked like in detail."Massive,intricate chandeliers glistened from the ceiling.The walls were covered with rich woodwork,and there were delicate marble statues everywhere."
He moved to the registration desk and asked for a room.

Here are two pictures of the lobby as Indy described it.The pictures show the lobby and the registration desk that is in the lobby.Even though the lobby is renovated in these pictures,I still thinks it looks like the way Indy described it.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/20080409_Blackstone_Hotel_Lobby.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/20080409_Blackstone_Hotel_Lobby2.JPG

Last edited:

Morning Bell

It's a great book and in my opinion one of the best Indy novels. It feels a lot like the films and has some great action sequences and interesting locations thrown in. You'll enjoy it.(y)

Tennessee Smith

It's a pretty good read. Like it was said earlier a lot of historical places were put into it, from Chicago in the 20's to giving a great history of Turkey's transition from Ottoman rule to it's move to a more European style of government.

It was the first of the books I read in this series as I found it interesting to watch Indy go after the "other" lost Ark
oddly enough, the discovery of either Ark is supposed to herald "Armageddon":eek:

Joosse

Read this a while ago, and really enjoyed it.

I'm quite a big fan of the Rob MacGregor novels and this one ranks as one of the best in my opinion. I love the attention to historical detail.

And thanks Annie for the info about the Blackstone. (y)

Saber79

reread this a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. My only gripe about it was that it seemed like after that whole search, it just ended a little too quickly. Would make a great comic book series though.

Annie, thanks for providing the info on the hotel, definitely added a sense of realism and kind of broke down the 4th wall. I was able to vividly imagine the hotel after you provided those pictures...thanks a lot!

reading sky pirates now. why did I do it? I have to finish it, since I'm halfway through, but seriously it reads like a flight manual.

AnnieJones

Saber79 said:
reread this a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. My only gripe about it was that it seemed like after that whole search, it just ended a little too quickly. Would make a great comic book series though.

Annie, thanks for providing the info on the hotel, definitely added a sense of realism and kind of broke down the 4th wall. I was able to vividly imagine the hotel after you provided those pictures...thanks a lot!
You're quite welcome!:hat:
I can't help but love Indy and the real history that is in with the stories.(y)
Saber79 said:
reading sky pirates now. why did I do it? I have to finish it, since I'm halfway through, but seriously it reads like a flight manual.
Really! I didn't read that one.A flight manual huh,that's a funny way to describe it.Sounds like a confusing book to read.

Joosse

AnnieJones said:
You're quite welcome!:hat:

And if you don't mind,I'm going to put you on my Buddy List.(y)

Sure, go ahead. I would be honored. :D

(Does his very best to pretend that he actually knows what a buddy list is... :confused: )

Joosse

Saber79 said:

Yes, I also had the feeling that it was suddenly over too quickly. But then again, it was also over before it became boring.

I do feel that a lot of MacGregor's books do have a tendancy to suddenly end in a way that leaves you wondering WTF? :confused:

Saber79 said:

One of the few I haven't read either. And I am dreading it. :dead:

I have already finished White Witch a while ago, and it was certainly not my favorite Indy novel. Possibly my least favorite. But I have to admit that the one I am reading now, Army of the dead, is becoming a serious contender for that title as well, the way Perry keeps annoying me with getting his languages wrong! :mad:

Martin Caidin was apparently a very good pilot and very interested in planes. Too bad he wasn't also a very good writer and aware that his readers were interested in Indiana Jones...

Saber79

yeah the first half is actually very technical and very long to read. Seems like the action is starting to pick up a little now that I'm well into the book.

Joosse

That's good to hear, because even though I tend to gripe about it, White Witch had some amazing action scenes as well, that almost leapt off the page... :whip:

fieromx

Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge - long hard slog

Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge
nnnnn.....Not the greatest of novels. I read it but very slow.
usually I absorb those paperbacks. This novel I read at a slow pace and was glad to end it.
I didn't mind Indiana having problems at his College Institution but the end of the book doesn't say whether or not he ever got his job back. He is just mentioned chatting with Marcus Brody about his Ark adventure.

The Ark should have been a much more exciting endeavor. It was just slow and painful. Indiana's friend Jack Shannon & his involvement with gangsters in Chicago was interesting to a point then got monotonous.

I liked Vladimir Zobolotsky and his daughter trying to get support to form an expedition to Mount Ararat. I got tired of the 2 bald headed Russian thugs that followed them around the world. I was glad to see their fate. The story seemed rushed at the end when they find the Ark.

I disagree with the poor rating of Martin Caiden stories about Indiana Jones.
The man is a veteran pilot and knows his technical details. He makes his stories feel very believable. The Sky Pirates and White Witch were much more exciting reads to me than this Genesis Deluge.