Question: Was/Is Indy a geek/nerd?

Indyologist

Do you think Indy was considered a nerd/geek when he was a kid? How about when he was an adult? Share your opinions and give examples to support your idea/s.

Junior Jones

Indy wasn't exactly a nerd/geek, but he also wasn't one of the popular kids either.
The school bully picked on him, and Indy tried hard to show him up by driving a cool car to the prom. He worked as a soda jerk after school while the other kids got to hang out at the soda shop. But all the girls seemed to have a crush on him, even in high school.

Source: (Spring Break Adventure, Princeton, 1916)

Canyon

Indyologist, unusual thread. :)

I have to say that I certainly don't think that Indy was a geek, in his childhood, teenage years, or even as an adult.

Despite the fact that some people describe Indy as a 'nerdy' professor, I'm afraid I have to disagree. If anything, Indy is probably classed as the most popular professor on the campus, and not just because of his female admirers. :)

Stoo

"Curse of the Jackal" briefly shows the early stage of Henry Jr.'s life and
it suggests both "geek" (science experiments) and "rebel" (skipping class)
aspects of his character.

I'm inclined to see him as an *outsider*. Not because he was a nerd/geek
but because he was more intelligent and wordly than his peers. His *normal*
uprbringing ceases when he's almost 8-9 years old. After returning a few
years later from a trip around the world, I would imagine it would've been
difficult for him to fit back into his circle of friends. His experiences would
have created a seperation. :(

As a young teenager in "Princeton 1916", he was constantly harrassed
by the school jock and was friends with the nerdy, Clifford. (The kid with
the "milk moustache"). Plus, he wasn't getting much love from his dad
which must have made him feel awkward.

In the later teen years, Indy was very rarely in the company of people his
own age and was, at large, surrounded by adults. He starts fitting into
*their world*. However, by the time his university days roll around (as in
"Mystery of the Blues"), he's itching to party and is nowhere near a nerd
as Young Eliot Ness is!

Stoo

I forgot to mention...Welcome to The Raven, Junior-Jones! :whip:
Nice to have other fans here who are interested in Young Indy.

One more thing - in "Mystery of the Blues", Indy was thrown out of
a university party for playing too jazzy while onstage with the band.
The general audience didn't seem pleased by the whole affair and
Indy received many stares and sideways looks. In those days, it's
a good bet that this one incident probably alienated him from many
other students.

Indy is/was *different*...

Jay R. Zay

actually, these are just names given by people who search for excuses for the fact that they don't achieve anything and some others do. after 13-14 years of school, still just about 75% of the people in my age group at school realized why they are there: for THEIR marks, not to entertain the teachers. but every single one of those who realized actually is some kind of a victory. so they work, so they get good marks, so they get jobs where they can earn money and do with it whatever they like. how uncool. right?

and no, i'm not exactly what anybody would call a "nerd", but that's due to some kind of lazyness. i appreciate all the people who work hard for their marks and in fact they are the only ones who really deserve them. i'm just saying this to underline the fact that i'm NOT just defending my own position.

so i assume indy did work at school. in my view, anything else would be some kind of immature, wouldn't it? he knows about history and geography, that's what we can tell from the movie. he achieved his doctor title, he teaches at the university - you don't get this far by doing nothing. yes, he probably was a "geek" and for me this is a very good thing. he got where he is, he's having fun and all that stuff - what's wrong about this? nothing. at least that's what i think. :whip:

intergamer

Canyon said:
Indy is probably classed as the most popular professor on the campus, and not just because of his female admirers. :)

From the movies, Indy seems like a pretty bad prof (distracted, a bad speller, and his silly speeches ("archaeology is a search for fact, not truth") are not exactly what I'd call insightful. He might still be popular for other reasons

Stoo

TombReader said:
Being a nerd/geek is not always a bad thing,you know...

I don't think anyone has said that it is "bad thing".
If this was implied in my post, then I apologize to
all offended parties. The intention is to determine
whether Indy was (or was not) a geek, regardless
of any negative preconceptions the term evokes. :)

Stoo

Jay R. Zay said:
and no, i'm not exactly what anybody would call a "nerd", but that's due to some kind of lazyness. i appreciate all the people who work hard for their marks and in fact they are the only ones who really deserve them. i'm just saying this to underline the fact that i'm NOT just defending my own position.

I don't see the point in comparing your position in 2005 to Indy's
student years c.100 years ago. Different time, different place...
Furthermore, the term nerd/geek doesn't necessarily mean
someone who enjoys learning things. It can also apply to a
person who cannot handle his/herself well in social situations
and is *uncool*. (Ex. your replies to this forum, sometimes). ;)
In this respect, Indy does fine.

Jay R. Zay said:
so i assume indy did work at school. in my view, anything else would be some kind of immature, wouldn't it? he knows about history and geography, that's what we can tell from the movie. he achieved his doctor title, he teaches at the university - you don't get this far by doing nothing. yes, he probably was a "geek" and for me this is a very good thing. he got where he is, he's having fun and all that stuff - what's wrong about this? nothing.

No one said there is anything wrong with the desire to learn...

As per the narration in "Curse of the Jackal", Indy did not enjoy
going to school as a kid. Plus, "Princeton 1916" shows that he
was disliked by the math teacher and had been kept after class
on more than one occasion. This indicates that Indy was not
exactly a keen, delightful, student. If you were familiar with
the Young Indy Chronicles, you would have a much better
understanding of what he was like growing up.

TombReader

intergamer- Absolutely no offense taken.I just don't think being considered an outsider is a bad thing.Never have. :)

Indyologist

Stoo said:
"Curse of the Jackal" briefly shows the early stage of Henry Jr.'s life and
it suggests both "geek" (science experiments) and "rebel" (skipping class)
aspects of his character.

I'm inclined to see him as an *outsider*. Not because he was a nerd/geek
but because he was more intelligent and wordly than his peers. His *normal*
uprbringing ceases when he's almost 8-9 years old. After returning a few
years later from a trip around the world, I would imagine it would've been
difficult for him to fit back into his circle of friends. His experiences would
have created a seperation. :(

As a young teenager in "Princeton 1916", he was constantly harrassed
by the school jock and was friends with the nerdy, Clifford. (The kid with
the "milk moustache"). Plus, he wasn't getting much love from his dad
which must have made him feel awkward.

In the later teen years, Indy was very rarely in the company of people his
own age and was, at large, surrounded by adults. He starts fitting into
*their world*. However, by the time his university days roll around (as in
"Mystery of the Blues"), he's itching to party and is nowhere near a nerd
as Young Eliot Ness is!

Everyone's opinions about this are well thought out. It's great that you are all considerate of each other,too. Very, very good. Excellent thinking, here, Stoo. This is what I've always thought about Indy as well. I always thought that Indy was an outsider-- not because of anything negative, but because he was different than other kids his age. His experiences were different and his mature attitude was different. And as you may/may not know, being "different" often means rejection and redicule. I imagine too that returning to a stuffy classroom and being behind a cramped desk was probably difficult and maybe even boring for young Indy. But I also imagine that because he enjoyed learning that he put up with it. I know that he was also a rebel by skipping classes and pushing the envelope a little too far sometimes. But that's okay. All young people are rebellious at one time.

I also think Indy wasn't the "toast of the school." I don't think he was a bad young person, but that he was just quiet and kept to himself-- like many people who feel like they don't "fit in." Indy had a close circle of friends, but they were small in number. Birds of a feather do indeed flock together, so he probably either hung out with other kids that were as mature and intelligent as he was, or hung out with adults occaisionally. I think that because Indy was pretty much rejected by his dad, that there were adults in his life, teachers probably, that "parented" him. We tend to want to become like those who gave us the most support. Look at Abner Ravenwood, for example. There was a teacher who, as Marion said, loved Indy "like a son." Who wouldn't want to emulate someone who loved you like that? I think it was a couple of dear teachers, and later, professors, (among other people) that encouraged Indy to become what he was.

And being a geek, of course, isn't always a bad thing-- not at all. I am one myself. By "geek/nerd" I meant those intelligent types who are usually rejected and misunderstood by others because of either eccentric behavior and/or maturity.

Jay R. Zay

see there, i forgot about this one. :)

"I don't see the point in comparing your position in 2005 to Indy's
student years c.100 years ago. Different time, different place..."

yes? school is something entirely different today? 100 years ago people learned to get jobs and money and today they do the same thing. i can very well compare my situation to indy. i have other hobbies than learning and probably people 100 years ago had hobbies, too. learning wasn't funny then and it isn't funny today. would you mind explaining this great difference between indy's school time and my school time that makes a comparison so impossible?

"Furthermore, the term nerd/geek doesn't necessarily mean
someone who enjoys learning things. It can also apply to a
person who cannot handle his/herself well in social situations
and is *uncool*."

usually, among people who aren't interested in working, this is one and the same. people who like to learn or who at least are aware of the importance of learning are automatically regarded as "uncool". i've made this experience, too, although (as i've said) i'm in no way what you could call a "nerd". and even these simple preparations i made for tests and lessons were regarded as "uncool" when i was younger. as you could expect, none (!) of these "cool" ones is still at my school - the last one had to leave two years ago.

"No one said there is anything wrong with the desire to learn..."

the word "nerd" actually IS a rating. i don't call somebody a "faggot" and then say "no one said there is anything wrong with homosexuality".

"If you were familiar with
the Young Indy Chronicles, you would have a much better
understanding of what he was like growing up."

being disliked by teachers doesn't make you a bad student. i've been disliked by teachers for all my life and i don't have a reason complain about my marks. no, i am not familiar with the Young Indy Chronicles and i have my reasons for this. i don't pretend to know any particular details from his past - all i said was that Indy did get his Doctor title and he is lecturing at a university - and you can't get this far by refusing to learn and to make an effort. so i guess we can agree that indy had to be what some people could call a "nerd" - somebody who worked for his future and wasn't just cool and easy.

and vogel: could you perhaps stop sucking up to everybody who disagrees with my statements? i've noticed this behavior for a pretty long time now - if you have something to say about me or my replies, write an own one, don't wait until stoo does the job for you and then just agree with him. you always seem to be the one who is always interfering with everything but never take any responsibility. best example was when you tried instigating the mods and users against TommyJohnson and after it was clear that there was nothing true about this accusation, you pretended to have nothing to do with it.

i can't stand this cowardly behavior. if you want to do something, do it straight. i don't think here is anybody who likes to be stabbed in the back. and so, once again - stop writing "well said" under each post that contradicts me. write an own one, take a clear position, or shut up. this may not be very friendly said but i guess, unlike with you, people can be sure that i mean and i account for what i say.

roundshort

Look, as a Marine, anyone who handles himslef like Indy doesn't care what he is called, he is just driven, don't get in his way

Grimdiana Bones

I think of indy as almost a super hero with an alternate identity.

He has his nerdy(clark kent) professor side, and his cool(superman) adventure side.