Volume Two, The War Years

Avilos

Alexandria said:
The only episode I was like of like :confused: was the one where Indy has to get a phone installed in his room. That was so trippy and fustrating to watch!

I just watched this today myself. But its is supposed to be trippy and frustrating! That is what Franz Kafka's writing was all about. He was the man who helped Indy get the phone. The story is a tribute to Kafka's view of the world.

Alexandria

Avilos said:
I just watched this today myself. But its is supposed to be trippy and frustrating! That is what Franz Kafka's writing was all about. He was the man who helped Indy get the phone. The story is a tribute to Kafka's view of the world.
Ooooh! So that's what it was about. I knew it had to be something strange. LOL! Thanks for the info. I would have wondered about that for years. I admired Indy for not :gun: someone. It reminded me of experinces I've had with federal government run businesses. I know they have to do things a certain way, but sometimes it's :mad: so difficult.

Stoo

UK Release

If I recall correctly, Volume 2 should have been released in the U.K. 2 days ago (24th).
Just a heads-up for those who may not have known/forgot.

Blue Jay

i just got vol 2 from amazon.co.uk. i wondered how different the boxset looks compared to the RC1 version, because i have the RC1 Version of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 is slimmer than vol. 1, almost half the size.
is that a difference only from RC2 to RC1 or is the Vol. 2 box slimmer in general than the vol. 1 boxset?
maybe someone can take pictures? i will upload mine soon.

Blue Jay

i just got vol 2 from amazon.co.uk. i wondered how different the boxset looks compared to the RC1 version, because i have the RC1 Version of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 is slimmer than vol. 1, almost half the size.
is that a difference only from RC2 to RC1 or is the Vol. 2 box slimmer in general than the vol. 1 boxset?

here the pics, just to compare:

P4030004.jpg

P4030003.jpg

P4030002-1.jpg

P4030001.jpg

P4030002.jpg

I love the indy font colored and not dark like it is on the back of the box sets. sadly this is the only side of the back that looks good together. What do you prefer?

Adamwankenobi

Those loose papers on the back are annoying! Why do studios insist on making them loose and not actually make them a part of the box? :confused:

Dr Jones

Good And Bad On 'War Years'

This may be a pointless thread, many apologies, but I've never seen 'Espionage Escapdes' before...

...and just want to voice how dissapointed I was! I thought it would be something like 'Adventures In The Secret Service', but gawd, I never thought I'd see so much silly acting and dumb slapstick in an episode of Young Indy!

Does anyone know why this was such a dramatic change of flow for the series? It really shocked me as I wasn't expecting that, and such a British 'sitcom' cast like Harry Enfield and Python Terry Jones.

BUT on the other side of the golden coin, how great is 'Daredevils Of The Desert' to compensate?!

I've not seen that one since VHS days, but it's an amazing episode!

Wonderful cinematograpgy, a fantastic story arc, some great action sequences and stuntwork and of course seeing Daniel Craig and Catherine Zeta-Jones along side Flanery as Germans was amazing!

Anyone into the Indy-lore, and new to Young Indy, defo check out 'Daredevils' (avoid 'Espionage'!)

:hat:

Flannery10

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles were always aired unchronologically, meaning, that one week we could have London, May 1916 and the week after that British East Africa, September 1909. Each episode had a different style, because Lucas brought in about 10 directors, and they all had a different picture of Young Indy in their head. Carl Schultz and Simon Wincer made the action episodes, Deepa Mehta 2 philosophical ones and then of course Terry Jones, who directed the Barcelona one. It's true, that Barcelona may not be everyone's understanding of Indiana Jones, but I thought it was a great episode. It was funny, and silly, yeah, but in my opinion, still realistic, while the second half of "Espionage Escapades", Prague, August 1917, is way to surreal for a Young Indy adventure.

As for Daredevils of the Desert, the extended version of the Palestine episode, I agree. Great casting choices, excellent cinematography etc.

Dr Jones

I see your point, thanks! (y)

Saying that, the first half that Teery Jones was better than the last half of 'Espionage', except the ritual prat-falls down stairs!

(But Indy on stage doing that dance to attract the attention of his allies was pretty funny!)

:)

Adamwankenobi

Yeah, "Barcelona" is pretty cool, but "Prague" just freaks me out everytime I try to watch it.

I remember the first time I saw "Prague", it was nausiating. :sick:

aw, thats one of my favourite episodes, ESPECIALLY the prague part, which is so fantasticly kafkaesque. i'd much rather watch that then daredevils, which is a bit overly long and mostly archive footage. different strokes for different folks i suppose

Jeremiah Jones said:
aw, thats one of my favourite episodes, ESPECIALLY the prague part, which is so fantasticly kafkaesque.

I thought that was the point to, it was supposed to be Kafkaesque and odd. I actually enjoyed that one a lot.

Flannery10

Edward The Head said:
I thought that was the point to, it was supposed to be Kafkaesque and odd. I actually enjoyed that one a lot.

It's true that the point of the story was certainly to be Kafkaesque, since Kafka even appears in that episode. But, that episode, if it would have been aired, would have been the ultimate death of the series. I know that sounds harsh, but I mean, Lucas couldn't make the fans happy, by making episodes like Curse of the Jackal (ok, that one good pretty good ratings, actually), London, British East Africa, German East Africa, Congo, Phantom Train of Doom...! Most of the episodes caught the atmosphere of the films better, than Prague, and even those made fans say, that they couldn't see the elements that make Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones. Barcelona was certainly too much for many fans, too, but like I said, it was filled with slapstick but to a certain extent, was still realistic. I like Prague as a comedic episode, and it certainly made me laugh, but in my opinion, it's too surreal for a Young Indy adventure.

Avilos

One of the reoccurring themes of the films is that Indy finds himself involved in things that are out of his control. Dealing with strange people and events that he can't fully understand. So he has to use his wits to survive the best he can. But also he has to endure the foolish actions of others. In RAIDERS he had to suffer Government bureaucracy. After everything he did to find the Ark of the Covenant and keep it from the Nazis, what happens to it? It was stuck in a warehouse presumably to never be seen again. That was Kafkaesque!

tupogirl

I didn't care much for Daredevils of the Desert, but I'm not a big fan of hers. I love the Escapade episode though.

I posted on another thread that I actually thought the Kafka one was very much like the movies they were starting to make back then and I thought it was a clever nod on Lucas' part.

but the great thing about young indy is that it goes beyond apeing the films and becomes something truly unique, most of the episodes you mentioned, congo particularly, are nothing like the films, young indiana is so varied cos thats what life is like, in my own experience, i've had frustratingly slap stick days that almost surpass prague, i've had days and week of high adventure like peacocks eye, i've had life changing days like congo,
for me anyway, the variety of styles in young indy make it seem somehow more real, and almost makes me feel he is a real person. often while trawling through some history text i almost subliminally ask myself where indy was at that moment, before laughing at my minds silliness.
i suppose that makes me quite forgiving of a lot of things in young indy.

tupogirl

Jeremiah, I agree with you. He's klutzy, awkward with women, and stays alive in some strange, accidental way! He also stands up for what he believes in and for others who can't stand up for themselves.

Flannery10

Jeremiah Jones said:
but the great thing about young indy is that it goes beyond apeing the films and becomes something truly unique, most of the episodes you mentioned, congo particularly, are nothing like the films, young indiana is so varied cos thats what life is like, in my own experience, i've had frustratingly slap stick days that almost surpass prague, i've had days and week of high adventure like peacocks eye, i've had life changing days like congo,
for me anyway, the variety of styles in young indy make it seem somehow more real, and almost makes me feel he is a real person. often while trawling through some history text i almost subliminally ask myself where indy was at that moment, before laughing at my minds silliness.
i suppose that makes me quite forgiving of a lot of things in young indy.

Don't get me wrong here, Jeremiah. I certainly appreciate the diversity and different styles of the episodes, and if Prague would have aired then and I would have seen it, I would have kept watching the series. Personally, I apreciate Prague as a comedic episode full of slapstick, but you have to admit, that fans were complaining, that Young Indy was nothing like the Indy they knew from the films. You certainly remember Sankara and the "Young Indy, canon or not" thread. Those people just didn't see the Indiana Jones they had hoped to see, not even in Curse of the Jackal or Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, so how would they have reacted if they had seen or even had been introduced to the series via Prague. Personally, I always liked the series, because of its diversity and the way it managed to combine education and entertainment, but certainly not because it was like the Indiana Jones movies. It had its own style, not necessarily better or worse than the movies, but completely different.

oh yes of course, just waxing lyrical . one has to wonder what it would have been like if every episode was like the films though.
I imagine something like relic hunter, trying to come up with a new artefact every week would definitely have cheapened the character i think. But i understand why a lot of people dislike prague, just casting my two cents