Volume Two, The War Years

Flannery10

Jeremiah Jones said:
oh yes of course, just waxing lyrical . one has to wonder what it would have been like if every episode was like the films though.
I imagine something like relic hunter, trying to come up with a new artefact every week would definitely have cheapened the character i think. But i understand why a lot of people dislike prague, just casting my two cents

Sure it's your opinion, and I'm not trying to change it in any way.

Crack that whip

Generally speaking, a weekly TV series with dozens or hundreds of episodes can easily have a greater variety of tones and styles from one episode to another than a movie series can; the movies are far fewer and farther between, and need to actually entice people to come see them, and cost a lot more money and time to make per installment, and generally will tend to have narrower constraints as to what they can or should be. With several episodes, a TV show has a lot more freedom to have different episodes strike or explore different tones, styles, etc. while still maintaining an overall style.

Consider, say, Star Trek. Within any of the several Star Trek TV series, there have been episodes with wildly varying tones and approaches and styles. There's also considerable variation among the movies, but not so much as there is between episodes in almost any one of the shows, let alone all episodes from all the shows combined.

Oh yes of course flannery10 i didn't think you were, i'm just typing away randomly. Yeah crack the whip star trek is a good example, especially deep space nine which had a ferengi episode every year that varied in tone crazily, but usually in a good way

Adamwankenobi

Jeremiah Jones said:
Oh yes of course flannery10 i didn't think you were, i'm just typing away randomly. Yeah crack the whip star trek is a good example, especially deep space nine which had a ferengi episode every year that varied in tone crazily, but usually in a good way

"Trials and Tribble-ations", anyone? :D

ReggieSnake

Bad

Demons of Deception was the last one I watched, and while Verdun was a great episode, Paris was just.....plain bad. It made me ill.:sick: I fast-forwarded through several scenes. The point of learning a little more about the wiles of love could have been made without being so graphic. I think it really brought down Indy's character and was completely unnecessary.

Why George, why?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Is that the Mata Hari episode you're posting about? I still haven't seen it fully. Too graphic, eh? It was necessary to show that Indy isn't always a complete wimp in the series. :p Brave enough to get bed with Mata Hari. She would have been full of er, disease? About much as malaria in the Amazon. no doubt. :rolleyes:

Avilos

The Mata Hari episode is not that graphic at all! The show aired in Prime Time on a major network during the early 90s. Back then they could not get away with showing anything graphic! The episode just suggests the sex, it does not show it!

Last edited:

Stoo

Actually, "Demons of Deception" has some additional footage of the sex scene that
was not shown during the original. It's a bit more "steamy" than the prime-time version.

The most irratating thing about Indy in Paris 1916 is watching him being played like a fool.
Get out of there, Indy!:whip:

phantom train

I actually thought all of the tele-films/episodes that make up "YIJC Volume
2: The War Years" are the most exciting/compelling out of the whole series, since they really show the journey Indy makes from innocent, in some ways naive high-schooler to seasoned soldier/spy. When I was originally watching YIJC in the '90's, these episodes were my favorite of the series.
I also liked how the episodes varied from very serious (The horrors of trench warfare in France) to humorous (the Barcelona sequence directed by T. Jones).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all of the YIJC episodes - I reallly enjoy the Corey Carrier ones and the post WW-I episodes ("Mystery of the Blues", "Scandal of 1920", etc.), but these war episodes really resonate.

TalonCard

Stoo said:
Actually, "Demons of Deception" has some additional footage of the sex scene that
was not shown during the original. It's a bit more "steamy" than the prime-time version.

The most irratating thing about Indy in Paris 1916 is watching him being played like a fool.
Get out of there, Indy!:whip:

Interesting... C'mon, though, guys, Indy had to start somewhere. How awesome is it that it was with Mata Hari? :cool:

Another interesting thing about the series is that you can see how Indy goes from a boy raised in a semi-traditional turn-of-the-century family to the girl-a-week in the films. This is picked up on in the Scandal of 1920 movie with hilarious results. :D

TC

tupogirl

Demons of Deception was the last one I watched, and while Verdun was a great episode, Paris was just.....plain bad. It made me ill. I fast-forwarded through several scenes. The point of learning a little more about the wiles of love could have been made without being so graphic. I think it really brought down Indy's character and was completely unnecessary.

I was incredibly sneaky to get this on tape back then!! I had a huge elaborate plan that worked, lol.

I'd much rather read the novel of it then watch the episode. I did think they needed SPF shirtless more. :) I think it's an important one though for the discussion on why men want to 'control' beautiful women (men want to own beautiful things) and how she is using him for his youth.

It pisses me off how fast he wanted a commitment from her. Although he is a pretty fast mover I guess, falls in love fast and hard. Probably because of losing his mama so young and having a cold father. It happens.

Stoo

tupogirl said:
It pisses me off how fast he wanted a commitment from her. Although he is a pretty fast mover I guess, falls in love fast and hard. Probably because of losing his mama so young and having a cold father. It happens.
Whoa! In Indy's defense, she said him, "Tell me. Tell me you love me." first
(the next day!) "O.K., I love you." he replies because she wanted to hear it.
She gets all giddy after having her vanity satifisfied. Indy seems to mean it,
but he was prompted to say the words. His behaviour is justifiable although
he should have just split the scene entirely. Indy's a real sucker in this one!

As far as him being a fast mover, I've been meaning to start on thread
regarding a major influence on that very subject.

Ltdefense

He'd been having such a rough time in the trenches, it's hard to blame him! Glad he got to have a little warmth and fun there.

Do you think he slept with Elizabeth Hurley in London, or Mata Hari was his first?

tupogirl

Stoo said:

No, no I agree. And Remy has been urging him to get it on for quite a few episodes now. He's 17, he's in a war, I do not blame him. And it was probably better for Indy to be with her then with the gals Remy found for them!

She definitely went after him, yes. I don't blame him, no. I just feel bad for him that he ended up thinking it was more real than it was. The boy had absolutely no problems with commitment!!!!! Definitely had terrible luck in that area of his life.

TalonCard

tupogirl said:
She definitely went after him, yes. I don't blame him, no. I just feel bad for him that he ended up thinking it was more real than it was. The boy had absolutely no problems with commitment!!!!! Definitely had terrible luck in that area of his life.

I don't think he really had a grasp of the concept of commitment at that point. We hear him say "I love you" to all of his girlfriends in the show--even up through Hollywood Follies. I think that's really important. He has, in his mind's eye somewhere, an idealized version of his parents' semi-normal turn-of-the-century relationship. I don't think he understands completely what it means--it's just a combination of him thinking it's something he should say, hoping it'll please the girl in question, and hoping it'll get him closer to what he wants.

I was gonna make a point here about how Indy messed things up with Kate in Scandal of 1920 (she'd've been the best pick by far out of the three women in that movie) by interpreting their relationship in Mata Hari's terms...but the next thing you know I'd be writing syrupy fan-fic and drawing a bubble bath.

*takes a moment to remember what Indiana Jones is all about* :whip: :gun: :hat: Ok. I think I'm much better now.

;)

TC

tupogirl

TalonCard said:
I don't think he really had a grasp of the concept of commitment at that point. We hear him say "I love you" to all of his girlfriends in the show--even up through Hollywood Follies. I think that's really important. He has, in his mind's eye somewhere, an idealized version of his parents' semi-normal turn-of-the-century relationship. I don't think he understands completely what it means--it's just a combination of him thinking it's something he should say, hoping it'll please the girl in question, and hoping it'll get him closer to what he wants.

I was gonna make a point here about how Indy messed things up with Kate in Scandal of 1920 (she'd've been the best pick by far out of the three women in that movie) by interpreting their relationship in Mata Hari's terms...but the next thing you know I'd be writing syrupy fan-fic and drawing a bubble bath.

*takes a moment to remember what Indiana Jones is all about* :whip: :gun: :hat: Ok. I think I'm much better now.

;)

TC

LOL!! I haven't seen Scandal enough to remember it. He was ready to marry Vicky. He proposed when he was Swedish (can't remember the episode or the girl's name). He had Becky.

But I think he mistakes companionship and flirting/dating for love to fill that void in his life.Maybe there's a good reason Freud was in an episode, LOL!!!!!

Also if he had come out of the trenches, he may be thinking 'this is it, I could die next week, let's make what we can out of life'.

Stoo

Flannery10 said:
But, that episode, if it would have been aired, would have been the ultimate death of the series.

and if Prague would have aired then and I would have seen it, I would have kept watching the series.
My version is from the Austrian channel, ORF, so it did air in (at least) that country.
Incidentally, it was one of the last episodes to be shown so the series was almost dead, anyway.:(

Lao_Che

Stoo said:

He does point out it's not the same as with Prentiss, mind.

SterankoII

My favorite parts of the Vol 2., heck the whole series were the two movies(or four episodes) with Indy in Africa during WWI. First his adventure with the old commandoes, then the trek through the Congo and meeting Albert Schweitzer were great. Frank Darabont did a great job writing both. I also like the one with Catherine Zeta Jones. I love when Indy tells her "You are so beautiful." and she replies "I know."