Volume Three, The Years of Change

phantom train

Hi everyone. Since I hadn't seen a thread for this, I wanted to create something to post info. on the forthcoming DVD set "Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" Volume 3, tentatively scheduled for Spring 2008. I have made my way through most of Volume 2, and am really looking forward to Volume 3, even more than I'm looking forward to the new IJ film (hard to believe, I know).

Anyway, by my count this volume should include six YIJC films - the four below were originally aired as TV films in the US:

"YIJ and the Treasure of the Peacock's Eye"
"YIJ and the Scandal of 1920"
"YIJ and the Hollywood Follies"
"YIJ and the Mystery of the Blues" (hopefully this will include the H. Ford bookends)

Also, two more films that should be included on this are:

* A film edited together from the episodes "Italy 1918" (where IJ and Ernest Hemingway compete for the affections of an Italian woman) and "Istanbul 1918".

* A film edited together from the 1919 Treaty episode (where Indy meets Lawrence of Arabia again), and also another episode taking place in the US, after Indy goes back there after the war (this second episode was unaired in the US, as far as I know).

Anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this info. Thanks.

Adamwankenobi

phantom train said:
"YIJ and the Mystery of the Blues" (hopefully this will include the H. Ford bookends)

The VHS "episodes" included the HF bookend, and since the DVD "episodes" are (so far) identical to the VHS "episodes". So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Last edited:

Matinee Idyll

Two different actors played Ned Lawrence... one in Curse of the Jackal, and a different one in Palestine, 1917...

Which of the two plays the character in Paris, 1919?

metalinvader

Adamwankenobi said:
The VHS "episodes" included the HF bookend, and since the DVD "episodes" are (so far) identical to the VHS "episodes". So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Well,History International aired the episode with Harrison.Pretty safe bet he will be on the dvd.

Avilos

Matinee Idyll said:
Two different actors played Ned Lawrence... one in Curse of the Jackal, and a different one in Palestine, 1917...

Which of the two plays the character in Paris, 1919?
The same one as in Palestine, 1917.

I have been curious about this change of actor. Presumably it is because Lawrence was older and they wanted an older actor. But he was in the general range of age that the actor who originated the part in Jackal could have returned and not seemed to be too young.

phantom train

I wanted to make a correction to my original post - Volume 3 should include 7 films, not 6. And though the first four films I listed are correct, the last three will be:

* "Masks of Evil" - edited from the Transylvania episode (never aired in the US, as far as I know) and the Istanbul episode.

* "Tales of Innocence" - edited from the Italy 1918 episode and another episode about Morocco (this second episode was also unaired in the US).

The above two films were released on VHS in the late 1990's.

* "Winds of Change" - edited from the 1919 Treaty episode, and the episode where Indy comes back to the US. As far as I know, this episode has not been released on VHS.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
According to the media kit these are the episodes and extras Vol 3 is going to include:

Tales of Innocence
  • Unhealed Wounds ? The Life of Ernest Hemingway
  • The Secret Life of Edith Wharton
  • Lowell Thomas ? American Storyteller
  • The French Foreign Legion ? The World's Most Legendary Fighting Force
Masks of Evil
  • For the People Despite the People ? The Ataturk Revolution
  • The Greedy Heart of Halide Edib
  • Dracula ? Fact and Fiction
  • The Ottoman Empire ? A World of Difference
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
  • Bronislaw Malinowski ? God Professor
  • Anthropology ? Looking at the Human Condition
  • New Guinea ? Paradise in Peril
Winds of Change
  • Woodrow Wilson ? American Idealist
  • Gertrude Bell ? Iraq's Uncrowned Queen
  • Ho Chi Minh ? The Price of Freedom
  • Paul Robeson ? Scandalize My Name
  • Robert Goddard ? Mr. Rocket Science
  • The Best Intentions ? The Paris Peace Conference and the Treaty of Versailles
Mystery of the Blues
  • Al "Scarface" Capone ? The Original Gangster
  • Ben Hecht ? Shakespeare of Hollywood
  • On the Trail of Eliot Ness
  • Louis Armstrong ? Ambassador of Jazz
  • Jazz ? Rhythms of Freedom
  • Prohibition ? America on the Rocks
  • Hellfighters ? Harlem's Heroes of World War One
The Scandal of 1920
  • Tin Pan Alley ? Soundtrack of America
  • Broadway ? America Center Stage
  • Wonderful Nonsense ? The Algonquin Roundtable
The Hollywood Follies
  • Erich von Stroheim ? The Profligate Genius
  • The World of John Ford
  • Irving Thalberg ? Hollywood's Boy Wonder
  • The Rise of the Moguls ? The Men Who Built Hollywood

So it's going to have these original episodes:

• Northern Italy 1918
  • Marocco 1917
  • Istanbul 1918
  • Transylvania 1918
  • Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
  • Paris 1919
  • Princeton 1919
  • Mystery of the Blues
  • Scandal of 1920
  • Hollywood Follies

Avilos

Thanks!

This is earlier than I thought it would be. I was expecting it right before the movie. But sooner the better!

I like that cover art a lot, featuring him in the Hat very predominately. If you think about it these episodes have the greatest connection to the movies.

1 "Treasure of the Peacock Eye" of course the plot is the most like the movies
2 "Mystery of the Blues" Harrison himself appears! But also Indy is attending the University of Chicago. Which was mentioned in RAIDERS
3 "Masks of Evil" Indy encounters the supernatural for the first time
4 "Winds of Change" Foreshadowing that in another 20 years or so there is going to be another war with Germany. Also this is the last time Indy sees his father before "The Last Crusade"
5 "Hollywood Follies" Indy does the same stunt, riding up to a wagon and then crawling under and then later pulled behind, that he does in RAIDERS but with a truck

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
This is earlier than I thought it would be. I was expecting it right before the movie. But sooner the better!

I kind of expected it, since Lucas always began the heavy marketing for the prequels in April, about a month before the films were released.

Avilos said:
5 "Hollywood Follies" Indy does the same stunt, riding up to a wagon and then crawling under and then later pulled behind, that he does in RAIDERS but with a truck

I always thought it would have been funny if, in that episode, Indy says something along the lines of "I... think I'll stick with archaeology. I don't see myself ever being in the movies."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There will be 7 discs with episodes...
plus how many $15 drink coasters this time?

IndyJr.

Adamwankenobi said:
I kind of expected it, since Lucas always began the heavy marketing for the prequels in April, about a month before the films were released.

I always thought it would have been funny if, in that episode, Indy says something along the lines of "I... think I'll stick with archaeology. I don't see myself ever being in the movies."

LOL. That or "I... think I'll stick with archeology. I don't see myself sliding under trucks anymore." :whip:

phantom train

I'm really looking forward to this third set. Though I don't think the tele-films on this set are as good as the ones on Volume 2, they're still excellent, and I like how the focus is on Young Indy's adventures in the U.S. after the end of WW I. It gives the viewer another perspective on events that occured during this time period, while still being interesting.

Also, it's nice that four of the tele-films on this set are being shown the way they were originally broadcast on TV: "Treasure of the Peackock's Eye", "Mystery of the Blues", "Scandal of 1920", and "Hollywood Follies".

Flannery10

phantom train said:
Also, it's nice that four of the tele-films on this set are being shown the way they were originally broadcast on TV: "Treasure of the Peackock's Eye", "Mystery of the Blues", "Scandal of 1920", and "Hollywood Follies".

No, I'm pretty sure "Scandal" used to have George Hall bookends, but I could be wrong. And yeah, all the others you wrote down really are unchanged. (y)

phantom train

Quote:

"No, I'm pretty sure "Scandal" used to have George Hall bookends, but I could be wrong. And yeah, all the others you wrote down really are unchanged."

You could be right. I haven't seen "Scandal of 1920" since it aired on US TV wwaayyy back in early 1993. I remember it was a two-hour movie (like "Mystery of the Blues", "Phantom Train of Doom", etc.) and don't really recall the George Hall bookends, but they may have been there.

Ltdefense

So, these DVDs are my first time getting to see this show. Really enjoying it so far!

I want to make sure I end in a high note, though, any recommendations on which one I should watch last?