Volume Three, The Years of Change

metalinvader

Just came home with my copy.Word of caution to everyone,Every copy that my Best Buy had there were disks that were loose in the box.So,Give your copy the 'shake test' before buying it.

Now I'm off.'Tales of innocence' is in the DVD player!:gun:

Stoo

metalinvader said:
So,Give your copy the 'shake test' before buying it.
Maybe that's why the others were loose? Too many "shake tests"!:D Thanks for the heads-up.
Congratulations, metalin. Enjoy!:cool:

Avilos

Shaking is not a good idea. I mean heavy shaking! Just move the box around slightly back and forth. I always do when I buy DVDs. Thats enough to tell if DVDs are loose.

metalinvader

Avilos said:
Shaking is not a good idea. I mean heavy shaking! Just move the box around slightly back and forth. I always do when I buy DVDs. Thats enough to tell if DVDs are loose.

Heh,That's what I mean.Yes.....Heavy,Violent shaking is not a good thing!:eek:

TalonCard

tupogirl said:
They aired Winds of Change not too long ago. It's still in my DVR, and I'm slowly getting through it. I love Indy in the rocket lab!

Yes, for awhile we had almost all of the movies recorded...but then the machine deleted them before I got a chance to watch. Grrr. I'm quick to his "Protect" now, but we'd lost Winds, Attack of the Hawkmen, Adventures in the Secret Service, and Passion for Life before I realized what was going on. :mad:

TC

tupogirl

TalonCard said:
Yes, for awhile we had almost all of the movies recorded...but then the machine deleted them before I got a chance to watch. Grrr. I'm quick to his "Protect" now, but we'd lost Winds, Attack of the Hawkmen, Adventures in the Secret Service, and Passion for Life before I realized what was going on. :mad:

TC

Yes, I was doing well too until we went away on vacation at Christmas (to Iowa, big excitement!)

TalonCard

It was the vacation that put me off schedule too, and then school coming right after that. We got to go to Disney World, though, so it was all good. (And besides, they have the Indy stunt show there!)

TC

Ltdefense

Flannery10 said:
Definetly some great episodes on there. Hollywood Follies is the one I'm least looking forward to. As for MoE, TotPE and MotB, those are certainly the highlights of the box. I'm looking forward to see Scandal of 1920 again.:D. I haven't seen Tales of Innocence or Winds of Change, but they ought to be quite good, too, especially Winds of Change.

Then you've read the best ones already. As for Genesis Deluge, probably the best of the 5 you mentioned, so make that a priority. Besides, it would be better if you'd actually read them in the order you listed them. You'll see why, then.

Well, I'm still about halfway through Seven Veils. Digging it so far, I feel like Lamont Cranston should be looking for the secret city too... :)

I wasn't crazy about the Max McCoy books, but I know everyone else really likes them. Indy was too much of a softie, I feel like closer to Temple of Doom he should be a bit more of a jerk, and too many coincidences drove the stories.

The Martin Caiden books get a bad rap, but I've never disliked anything with Sky Pirates in them! :)

phantom train

I got Volume 3 yesterday - it's cool to now have the complete series on DVD.

Anyway, I've seen the "Tales of Innocence" film so far and was very impressed. I have some comments and one question for those who have seen this on VHS (Spoilers below to those who haven't seen this yet):

* The first thing I noticed was the picture quality, which was stunning, just like the tele-films on the other two volumes. The picture is exponentially better than the TV broadcast and the VHS tape. Amazing - especially incredible were the scenes of the mountains in the Italian sequence.

* The Italian sequence was very amusing - it was nice to see something like this after the previous episodes depicting the horrors of war. This sequence did have a war element to it, of course, but the comedy was very strong. The scenes when Hemingway first advised Indy on what to do against his competitor for Guilliana's (sp?) affections was hilarious, especially when you knew he was the competitor!
One of the funniest lines in this episode was when Hemingway shushed up the other rowdy bar patrons when Indy was trying to write something to G., saying something like "Keep it down - this guy over here is trying to create!"
The scenes when Hemingway and Indy were competing against each other at Guilliana's house by trying to out-eat each other, out-play each other, etc. was hilarious - especially funny was when Hemingway's violin strings broke because he was playing so intently.

* It was nice to see a pre-TPM Pernilla August play the mother of Guilliana - yet another Indy/SW connection.

* The North Africa sequence with Edith Wharton was fantastic. Not only was the scenery great, but the story was good as well. The conversations they had about love not working out in many cases were very true, and felt very real.

* I had one question about this North Africa sequence for anyone who's seen the VHS tape of this tele-film: Back in the early 2000's, I did see this on VHS, but it's been over 6 years and my memory may be hazy - however, I seem to remember a scene when Indy was doing some investigating at the palace undercover and he was later confronted about this (possibly by the news reporter) - he didn't have a good explanation for his dissapearance, but Edith Wharton covered for him by falsely saying that he was with her, which would have been scandalous at the time considering she was so much older than him.
Was this scene on the VHS tape, or am I confusing this with something else? This scene was definitely not on the DVD, and I think I'm remembering this correctly. I don't know why Lucas would have cut this scene for the DVD release, since I thought the DVD releases were identical to the VHS releases of these tele-films.
Thanks in advance for any info. on this.

Last edited:

tupogirl

Disney World sounds like more fun than Iowa:). We went to Disney Land a few years ago, and I LOVED the Indiana Jones ride there. We are hoping to make a San Diego trip this year (family) and I'm hoping maybe we can sneak in a day at DL.

* The Italian sequence was very amusing - it was nice to see something like this after the previous episodes depicting the horrors of war. This sequence did have a war element to it, of course, but the comedy was very strong. The scenes when Hemingway first advised Indy on what to do against his competitor for Guilliana's (sp?) affections was hilarious, especially when you knew he was the competitor!
One of the funniest lines in this episode was when Hemingway shushed up the other rowdy bar patrons when Indy was trying to write something to G., saying something like "Keep it down - this guy over here is trying to create!"
The scenes when Hemingway and Indy were competing against each other at Guilliana's house by trying to out-eat each other, out-play each other, etc. was hilarious - especially funny was when Hemingway's violin strings broke because he was playing so intently.

This is one of my all time favorite episodes. I love Jay Underwood (Hemingway). Back in the 80's, he was in a series of movies called Not Quite Human in which he played an android. He had some funny movements in it and everytime I see him, I just see him as that character. Makes the Italy episode even funnier;).

I seem to remember that scene with Edith Wharton. I may have it on VHS somewhere. This is one of the creepier episodes to me, lol!!!!!

TalonCard

tupogirl said:
Disney World sounds like more fun than Iowa:). We went to Disney Land a few years ago, and I LOVED the Indiana Jones ride there. We are hoping to make a San Diego trip this year (family) and I'm hoping maybe we can sneak in a day at DL.

I've never been to Disneyland, unfortunately--there are a few things that are better in California, one of which is the Indy ride, which Florida doesn't have. I'll make it over there one day...

tupogirl said:
This is one of my all time favorite episodes. I love Jay Underwood (Hemingway). Back in the 80's, he was in a series of movies called Not Quite Human in which he played an android. He had some funny movements in it and everytime I see him, I just see him as that character. Makes the Italy episode even funnier;).

Ah ha! I knew I'd seen him before! It always seemed odd to me that Earnest Hemmingway, of all people, was used for so many funny sequences (here and in Mystery of the Blues. Odd choice...but Tales of Innocence is hysterical nevertheless...

TC

tupogirl

TalonCard said:
I've never been to Disneyland, unfortunately--there are a few things that are better in California, one of which is the Indy ride, which Florida doesn't have. I'll make it over there one day...

Ah ha! I knew I'd seen him before! It always seemed odd to me that Earnest Hemmingway, of all people, was used for so many funny sequences (here and in Mystery of the Blues. Odd choice...but Tales of Innocence is hysterical nevertheless...

TC

I really enjoyed going to Disneyland. We went in February 02, with the grandparents and our son was only a year and a half. Haha. He was happy as long as he was fed and got to see people dressed up as non humans!

I always thought funny Hemingway was strange as well, lol. Robyn Lively (Indy's Princeton's Becky) played Underwood's sister in two of the movies, Alan Thicke was their dad. But she was a real girl. :) She was also in a Mickey Mouse Club movie before SPF was in one.

Underwood was also in The Boy Who Could Fly.

NoCamels

phantom train said:
* It was nice to see a pre-TPM Pernilla August play the mother of Guilliana - yet another Indy/SW connection.

I thought she looked familiar! I just couldn't place it. That missing scene you mentioned sounded familiar, but it's been a long time since I saw the VHS too. Honestly, I remembered very little about the North Africa part.

The only time I was in Disneyland was right before they built the Indiana Jones ride. As much as I enjoyed the stunt show, I always wondered why there wasn't a ride in Disney World.

TalonCard

NoCamels said:
The only time I was in Disneyland was right before they built the Indiana Jones ride. As much as I enjoyed the stunt show, I always wondered why there wasn't a ride in Disney World.

The Animal Kingdom park got the Dinosaur ride, which uses similar vehicles and the exact same track from the Indiana Jones ride...so we got the ride; they just changed the theme. Plus it's a reason to go to California...that and the better Pirates ride...

TC

tupogirl

It's a bit strange to me that the two parks are so different. But they did seem to do more filming of shows in Florida.

Ltdefense

Mask of Evil was great!

It reminded me of a Call of Cthulu session. A group of adventurers with diffrent skills lost in a haunted castle, totally cool!

TalonCard

tupogirl said:
It's a bit strange to me that the two parks are so different. But they did seem to do more filming of shows in Florida.

Part of the reason is that they cater to different groups. Disneyland gets a lot of visitors from in and around California, and many of them come several times a year. Disney World is more of an national/internation destination, so going there is a big event. Disneyland is also older than Disney World, so the Disney World park designers had learned a lot from Disneyland's construction and years of operation. And of course, Disney World is bigger, and has more parks. :)

TC

tupogirl

TalonCard said:
Part of the reason is that they cater to different groups. Disneyland gets a lot of visitors from in and around California, and many of them come several times a year. Disney World is more of an national/internation destination, so going there is a big event. Disneyland is also older than Disney World, so the Disney World park designers had learned a lot from Disneyland's construction and years of operation. And of course, Disney World is bigger, and has more parks. :)

TC

Good points.

The Tingler

I haven't started Vol 3 yet (still ploughing through Vol 1, but Vol 2 I did first at least), although I'm looking forward to it!

Must admit though, I'm disappointed at the lack of a feature on the unmade Young Indy episodes, which would've been really interesting. And more disappointingly, the total absence of George Hall's segments! Surely they could've stuck them on here somewhere?

phantom train

I'm slowly making my way through Volume 3 - awesome set; even though I've seen most of these before, the enhanced picture quality on all of these tele-films really makes this viewing experience incredible

My comments/observations on "Masks of Evil" and "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye" (spoilers below):

* "Masks of Evil" was incredibly good - I had seen the first sequence already (Turkey 1918), and even though I knew what was going to happen in the end, it was still quite sad.

* The second half of "Masks of Evil" (Transylvania 1918) really blew me away -I had never seen this before, since this episode had never been broadcast in the U.S. This episode was a lot gorier than would have been allowed on network U.S. TV in the '90's, so I can see why it was never shown here. The quality was right up there with most big-budget horror flicks, and it was a very disturbing, creepy, atmospheric episode.
One of the best scenes was when Indy and the young woman Sophia? were running from Vlad the Imp. (Dracula), and they ending up fighting on the catwalk above the castle courtyard - The sky above them was filled with reddish clouds, and that really added to the creepiness of the scene. Very cool...

"Treasure of the Peacock's Eye" was extremely good as well:

* To start with, it was unfortunate that Mrs. Seymour had passed on before Indy could see her in London, since she was one of the only links that Indy had to his younger years (when his mother was alive).

* It was very interesting how the single-minded pursuit of the diamond that may or may not have existed affected both Remy and Indy differently. Remy was obsessed with finding this, and Indy seemed like he was just along for the ride. The conversation that Indy had with Bronislaw (sp?) at the end about Indy's goals in life was very significant, and I like how Indy realized that he didn't need the diamond to be happy.

* It was sad to see Indy and Remy part ways at the end, since they had been such good friends and had been through he** together. You wonder if Remy continued searching for the diamond, or if he gave up because Indy didn't want to continue looking for it with him. Since we never see Remy again in the series, we never find out what happens.

Last edited: