KOTCS's relation to YIJC

The_Minority

I'm personally hoping for the teaser of Kingdom to have a sequence set in 1923! And have Young indy on a dig with Abner and a young belloq and it shows Belloq steal the first crystal skull and indy tries to get it back but it's to late! Then as we learn later on in the movie, Belloq sold it on the black market not realizing what he had, but since belloq is now dead it's kind of a moot point!

Avilos

The_Minority said:
I'm personally hoping for the teaser of Kingdom to have a sequence set in 1923! And have Young indy on a dig with Abner and a young belloq and it shows Belloq steal the first crystal skull and indy tries to get it back but it's to late! Then as we learn later on in the movie, Belloq sold it on the black market not realizing what he had, but since belloq is now dead it's kind of a moot point!

I long imagined something similar for the beginning of Indy IV. Without knowing the plot specifics of the Crystal Skulls. But a teaser of Young Indy (played by Sean of course) to setup the plot. I doubt it will happen though. It would take screen time from Harrison in his last adventure.

I suspect there will be a Young Indy reference of some kind. Even just a simple reference to him fighting in WW1. Or him mentioning being in Russia during the Revolution to one of the Soviets maybe to Cate Blanchett's character.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, apparently the episode featured Belloq. Indy and Belloq are friends and dig for the Crystal Skull. They find it, Belloq steals it and sells it on the black market, thus setting up the rivalry. Now, this should count as canon! :p It might be a reference to this, nice and simple, perhaps an exchange between Marion and Indy as she knows who Belloq was. It would be a nice little reference.

Flannery10

Sankara said:
Would you like to bet? There is no reference in "Indy IV" to "Young Indy".

I'm not surprised to hear you say that, Sankara! In my opinion, a reference would certainly be possible, not only too prove that Young Indy really is cannon, but also to encourage more people to watch it. If they hear about an adventure in World War I, some people might consider to buy the set after all.
But since Young Indy never reached the sucess of the movies, and many people don't like it, they probably didn't include a reference, but we'll se on May 22nd I guess

metalinvader

Personally,I don't think there will be any reference to Young Indy.It would be nice but I just don't see it happening.If there is any reference at all it will be like how the Ark of the Covenant was referenced in LC.Very small,Very subtle.Like Indy saying "Well,When I fought in WW1...", Something like that.

Last edited:

Avilos

Look at it this way. When they did the first 3 films Indiana Jones had no back story or history at all. Other than what was first glimpsed in "The Last Crusade". Now since then George Lucas has developed a very detailed back story for Indy.
So it WILL be used in this movie in some way. I guarantee that!

The original screenplay was written by Frank Darabont. One of the main writers of the TV series. Also as has been said the Crystal Skull plot line originated as a idea for Young Indy. Which is consistent with George Lucas past methods of story development. He never throws away an idea. Names and ideas in the Star Wars prequels came from his earliest drafts he wrote of Star Wars in the mid 70s. He even referenced the Droids cartoons more than once in the Prequels!

As I said in my first post, It won't be a heavy handed awkward reference. It will likely be something that most viewers don't catch. Assuming that its just a new detail about Indy's past. But fans of the Tv show will know better.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
As I said in my first post, It won't be a heavy handed awkward reference. It will likely be something that most viewers don't catch. Assuming that its just a new detail about Indy's past. But fans of the Tv show will know better.

That's how I've always felt about it. Like you said, the Droids references in the Star Wars prequels were like this as well. General audiences just accepted it as another part of the film, while de-hard fans smiled at the references. It serves both audiences.

IndyJr.

They need to start Crystal Skull like they did Last Crusade. Sean Patrick Flannery in 1920's digging with Belloq and finding the Crystal Skulls... like was said above. I don't think it would take too much screen time away... River Pheonix didn't do that for Indy 3... and besides... who cares? Just make the film 20 minutes longer! I doubt people will run out of the theater if it's 20 minutes longer... :p

metalinvader

IndyJr. said:
They need to start Crystal Skull like they did Last Crusade. Sean Patrick Flannery in 1920's digging with Belloq and finding the Crystal Skulls... like was said above. I don't think it would take too much screen time away... River Pheonix didn't do that for Indy 3... and besides... who cares? Just make the film 20 minutes longer! I doubt people will run out of the theater if it's 20 minutes longer... :p

Flanery is 42.Way to old to be playing Indy in that time period.I don't know,It worked in LC but it would just seem like a retread if they did another Young Indy sequence in KOTCS.I wouldn't mind if it was mentioned in conversation though.

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

I doubt there'll be any references to the TV show whatsoever. Any references will be to the previous films only I'd say.

Sankara

As you all know: "Young Indy" was a HUGE Flop (for many-many reasons) (y)

"Nobody" saw this stuff and 99,9 percent of the Indiana Jones-Fans hate it. Why should they put a reference into "Indy IV"? 99.99 percent of the audience wouldn't get the reference.

Checkt out the Display in the theaters. There is a Suitcase with Buttons of the locations of the Indy-Movies. There is no Button with a "Young Indy"-Location. (y) (y) (y)

@IndyJr
Oh my god! I'm so lucky that you are no screenwriter

So, who want's to bet? :)

metalinvader

99.9% of Indy fans hate Young Indy?!!?
Where do you come up with this stuff!?!Thankfully,Your personal bias is not universal fact!It seems to me that only a select few actually hate the show,Like you.Most it seems tolerate it or just simply feel it's not there,While other people accept it and love it.

In regards to the theater display.Why would they even put Young Indy locations on it?I would never expect them too,Nor would I hope any other Young Indy fan would.While it would be cool,The display pertains to the movies,Not the whole Indy univerese.

Finn

Staff member
Sankara said:
"Nobody" saw this stuff and 99,9 percent of the Indiana Jones-Fans hate it.
Fact: The show won ten Emmys.

Fact: Up to this date, the YIJC volume one has sold nearly 40 000 copies.

Fact: You hate this show.

Not a fact, put an interesting second opinion nevertheless: "A true fan loves the subject, warts and all."

Work of your fragile imagination: "Nobody saw this stuff and 99,9 percent of the Indiana Jones-Fans hate it."

Bottom line: We know you hate the show and okay, feel free. But please stop making yourself ridiculous in the process. It's embarassing for all of us.

Sankara

@Finn
Oooh! Wow! The show won ten emmys! Does this mean it's a good show? So many good movies never won an oscars. And so many bad movies got many oscars. This means nothing - I guess you would agree.

Fact is: It was a huge Flop!

@metalinvader
Right, Why would they even put Young Indy locations on it? And why should they put a "Young Indy"-Refernce into "Indy 4"?

Finn

Staff member
Sankara said:
Fact is: It was a huge Flop!
Wrong again. It wasn't a major success, let's admit that. But that doesn't mean it was a flop either.

By the way, I gave you five pointers, you impressingly managed to shoot down one of them. That's 20% success rate, the rest you obviously just ignored. Guess that tells us all what's your word's worth.

Sankara

Please, Finn! We all know that Lucas and Co. expected more than this. So: It was a Flop! Most of the Indy-Fans expected Indy-Feeling in this show - but there was no Indy-Feeling.

The YIJC volume one has sold nearly 40 000 copies. This is not very much.