KOTCS's relation to YIJC

Finn

Staff member
Sankara said:
The YIJC volume one has sold nearly 40 000 copies. This is not very much.
Yeah, but if we figure that it's only 0,01% of all Indyfans on this Earth, we figure there's like what, 40 billion fans in all.

Just for your information, the Earth population barely exceeds six billion.

Finn

Staff member
Sankara said:
Last week I bought a John Wayne-DVD-Box. But I'm not a John Wayne-Fan...
Yeah, I know who John Wayne is. But if you're right, practically NO ONE knows about Young Indy.

So now you're telling that somewhere out there there's a small town full of locos who buy stuff in completely random ordeal. "I don't know what the hell this is and it costs nearly ninety bucks... ah, what the hell, I'll take it anyway."

Scary thought.

Sankara

Yes, I'm right! "Young Indy" was a flop and if there is a reference to it in "Indy 4" - 99.99 percent of the audience wouldn't catch it.

Adamwankenobi

Sankara said:
Yes, I'm right! "Young Indy" was a flop and if there is a reference to it in "Indy 4" - 99.99 percent of the audience wouldn't catch it.

Lucas considers Young Indy to be the most enjoyable and rewarding experience he's evee had in filmmaking, so I ask you, WHY NOT? Die hard fans like myself will smile at the references, while the average filmgoer will just see it as another part of the film. Therefore, both audiences are served. Have you ever seen a Kevin Smith film? He makes his films for this very purpose. (y)

Flannery10

Sankara said:

Like Adam said already, who cares? Those, who watched Young Indy will recognize that reference and smile and those who didn't just won't and think: "Oh, another detail about Indy's past!", and forget about it quickly.

You know what I think Sankara? I think you're scared that it will include a reference, because if it does, then you'll have to accept Young Indy is cannon, and not a whole different world than the movies.

Sankara

Well, if Indy would say to Marion: "You know what? A long time ago I had sex with Mata Hari!" 99,99 percent of the audience would look like that :confused:

:D :D

oki9Sedo

Sankara said:
Please, Finn! We all know that Lucas and Co. expected more than this. So: It was a Flop!

It was not a massive hit, but it was not a flop by any means Sankara.

1. It won 10 Emmys, and was nominated for a further 13.
2. It lasted for three seasons.
3. Lucasfilm and Paramount have released two very lavish, very expensive DVD volumes with a third on the way.

Whatever your opinions of the show are, those are facts which support the fact that the show did well.

oki9Sedo

Sankara said:

99.99% of the audience didn't get the references to The Searchers in the Star Wars films, War of the Worlds and Raiders of the Lost Ark either, but they're there.

Alot of the time references are there to indulge the film-maker, not the audience.

Sankara, what the hell? The realise how embarrasing your whole line of argument, how old are you anyway? You're acting like a 4 year old.. why the hell do you post on young indy pages anyway? All you ever say is stuff like: THIS IS CRAP, I HATE THIS SHOW, ONLY IDIOTS AND NON-INDY FANS LIKE THIS SHOW, etc etc etc, really really childish. Man, its amazing anyone ever even responds. In cas you haven't noticed most of us here love Young Indy, to you that obviously means we are somehow sub human because we don't share the brain of Sankara. Of course it didn't do very well we all know that, but Lucas loves the show, he came up with indy 4s plot, there might very well be a reference, and if there is it will be a rather vague one, not as stupid as your above example.

Stop being such a child. Please. Its very embarassing.

metalinvader

Sankara said:
@metalinvader
Right, Why would they even put Young Indy locations on it? And why should they put a "Young Indy"-Refernce into "Indy 4"?

Well that's it,If you go to the first page I stated that I don't think there will be any reference to Young Indy at all.If there is any reference what so ever,It will be very small like the Jackal head piece on Indy's desk or him mentioning that he fought in WW1.Something small and subtle.

Sankara

@Jeremiah Jones
No, I don't use words like "Idiot". This is a forum and I have an opinon.

@oki9Sedo
We are talking about CLEAR references like the ark-Scene in Venice.

@Adamwankenobi
As you you know I'm a DIE HARD Indiana Jones-Fan since... oh many-many years before you were born. I wouldn't like it. So what? We will see... :)

Adamwankenobi

Sankara said:
Well, if Indy would say to Marion: "You know what? A long time ago I had sex with Mata Hari!" 99,99 percent of the audience would look like that :confused:

:D :D

It'd be as silly as Indy telling Shia LaBeouf's character "You know, I once drank from the holy grail."

What you've got to understand Sankara, is that the Indy films have never made huge references to one another, so why should we expect KOTCS to do any different with YIJC? When we talk about KOTCS referencing YIJC, it should be a given that any references would be small.

Adamwankenobi

Sankara said:
@Adamwankenobi
As you you know I'm a DIE HARD Indiana Jones-Fan since... oh many-many years before you were born. I wouldn't like it. So what? We will see... :)

*sigh* I think you know what I meant. I was refering to myself being a die hard fan in the context of YIJC. Just so you understand correctly, I'll rephrase it: All die hard fans of YIJC like myself would smile at the references, while general audiences, film-only fans, and/or those with no or very little knowledge of YIJC will just accept any YIJC references as another part of the film.

Adamwankenobi

oki9Sedo said:
Alot more people would get that, though.

My point is that it would still be silly and unnecessary. And like another poster pointed out, who ever got the idea that everyone is suppose to get references in films? Most people who watch the IJ films don't even realize that what they are watching is one giant homage.

oki9Sedo

Adamwankenobi said:
My point is that it would still be silly and unnecessary. And like another poster pointed out, who ever got the idea that everyone is suppose to get references in films? Most people who watch the IJ films don't even realize that what they are watching is one giant homage.

Thats absolutely true.

Avilos

I think Sankara has over stayed his welcome on The Raven! He is entitled to have different opinions than others and is free to express that. But is goes FAR beyond that. He has a condescending and dismissive attitude toward other poster. He adds nothing to discussions but his narrow mindedness. Distorting facts to suit his agenda.

Sankara, okay maybe you didn't use the word 'Idiot' but your disdain for anyone who likes Young Indy is pretty obvious. So we don't share your opinion, SO WHAT! I mean in your last post you said "This is a forum and I have an opinon". Sankara, all of us here are very very very well aware that you have an opinion, expressing that opinion has been your chief means of arguing any point regarding Young Indy for months now. We Know. alright? We'll just take it as read.

Its just I find it fairly disrespectful to everyone here in the Young Indiana Jones corner of the Raven that you keep lambasting us for being stupid enough to like a show which you're so fully convinced is the worst thing ever concieved. I just don't understand why you come here? are you just trying to stir things up? I mean we accept you don't like the show, and we're well past trying to persuade you otherwise, just stop telling us that its crap okay? WE . DO. NOT. AGREE. WITH. YOU. And anyway, thats not what this thread is about.