How the DVDs should have been...

IndyJr.

Post you're opinions on how the DVDs should have been here...

I personally feel that they should have had a chapter menu for each disk (2 or 3 episodes per disk) that had a menu like this:

VOLUME 1

Disk One:
Egypt, 1908
Tangier, 1908
Florence, 1908
Paris, 1908

Disk Two:
Paris, 1908
Vienna, 1908
British East Africa, 1909

Disk Three:
Benares, 1910
Peking, 1910
Russia, 1910

Disk Four:
Greece, 1910
Princeton, 1916
Mexico, 1916

Disk Five:
Ireland, 1916
England, 1916

Disk Six:
Bonus Material
Bookends
Unfilmed Episodes Commentaries
Interactive Timeline

etc...

That way you could choose to watch the bookends separately, and the the episodes would be separate as well as chronological.

IndyJr.

I don't completely agree with Adamwankeni's set too much... for one... not everyone has a Blu-ray player... secondly, it clumps ALL the episodes on one disk... something that's highly impossible...

Here's another version...

VOLUME 1

Disk One: The First Adventures
The Curse of the Jackal
Tangier, 1908
Florence, 1908

Disk Two: The Perils of Love
Paris, 1908
Vienna, 1908

Disk Three: The Great Adventures
Benares, 1910
Peking, 1910
Travels With Father

Disk Four: The Spring Break Adventures
Princeton, 1916
Ireland, 1916
England, 1916

Disk Five:
Bonus Material
Bookends
Unfilmed Episodes Commentaries:
Princeton, 1905
Russia, 1909
Geneva, 1909
Jerusalem, 1909
Stockholm, 1909
Melbourne, 1910
Tokyo, 1910

Interactive Timeline

VOLUME 2

Disk One: The Trenches of Hell
The Great Escape
Verdun, 1916
Paris, 1916

Disk Two: The African Front
The Phantom Train of Doom
German East Africa, 1916
Congo, 1916

Disk Three: The Adventures of the Secret Service
The Attack of the Hawkmen
Austria, 1917
Barcelona, 1917

Disk Four: The Espionage Escapades
Petrograd, 1917
Prague, 1917
The Daredevils of the Desert

Disk Five:
Bonus Material
Bookends
LeHavre, 1916
Flanders, 1916
Berlin, 1916

Interactive Timeline

VOLUME 3

Disk One: The Spy Years
Transylvania, 1918
Northern Italy, 1918
Istanbul, 1918

Disk Two: The High Adventure Years
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Paris, 1919

Disk Three: The Road Home
Princeton, 1919
The Mystery of the Blues

Disk Four: The Roaring Twenties
Scandal of the 1920's
Hollywood Follies

Disk Five:
Bonus Material
Bookends
Moscow, 1918
Bombay, 1919
Buneos Aires, 1919
Princeton, 1919
Havana, 1919
Honduras, 1920
Alaska, 1921
Brazil, 1921

Interactive Timeline
Connecting Young Indy to the Movies

IndyJr.

Then of course one could go by seasons...

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Season One​

Disk One:
Curse of the Jackal
London, 1916
Verdun, 1916
German East Africa, 1916
Congo, 1917

Disk Two:
Bonus Material

Season Two​

Disk One:
Austria, 1917
Somme, 1916
Germany, 1916
Barcelona, 1917
Mystery of the Blues

Disk Two:
Princeton, 1916
Petrograd, 1917
The Scandal of 1920
Vienna, 1908
Northern Italy, 1918

Disk Three:
The Phantom Train of Doom
Ireland, 1916
Paris, 1908
Peking, 1910

Disk Four:
Benares, 1910
Paris, 1916
Istanbul, 1918
Paris, 1919

Disk Five:
Bonus Material

Season Three​

Disk One:
Hollywood Follies
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Attack of the Hawkmen
Travels With Father

Disk Two:
Bonus Material

of course, this version would be more... hectic... I wish they continued the series... :(

Michael24

For me, the perfect DVD set for YOUNG INDY would have been to just release the series as it had originally aired, as individual episodes. Not in these reedited feature-length forms that combine two episodes together, resulting in (from what I hear) many awkward moments where a "movie's" plot will just suddenly change halfway through.

Also, bonus features about the actual show would have been as well, such as some commentaries and behind-the-scenes documentaries.

Flannery10

The problem with your set Indy Jr. is the following: You are just gonna split the re-edits, instead of putting them back in the original form (bookends). That's why I don't like the new versions, because the episodes are out of context. Now, if you're just spiltting them, it's even worse, bcause as bad as the linking segments usually are, they make at least some sense, and your versions are completely out of context then.

Ok, not everyone has a blu-ray player, agreed, and in that case your versions are somewhat better even though your hectic suggestion doesn't have to be that bad and you could start box 2 with vienna your favorite;) , then at least the first two boxes would be equally stuffed!

Adamwankenobi

IndyJr. said:
I don't completely agree with Adamwankeni's set too much... for one... not everyone has a Blu-ray player... secondly, it clumps ALL the episodes on one disk... something that's highly impossible...

The reason I would choose Blu-ray as the format for the series is because it takes up way less physical space than DVDs (once all three volumes of the current YIJ DVDs are released, there will be a total of 28 discs per complete collection!).

However, you're right about one disc not holding the enitre series. I was in error about that. Upon further reasearch, I see that one side of a duel-layer BR disc can hold approx. 23 hours of audio and video. So, each version of the series (each approx. 33 hours) would have to to be spread over two separate BR discs (because I hate "flipper" discs, I would only use one side for each disc, with the other side to each being properly labeled).

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Flannery10 said:
but I will pick up Adam's set at BestBuy including the blu-ray disc player :D

Thanks. :hat: After completing the YIJC box set, I would then do a definitive box set of the IJ films... and then attempt to tackle Star Wars. :eek:

IndyJr.

They needed to use George Hall to do some bookends for Raiders, Temple and Crusade not to add to the films, but to say they at least did some... for bonus material reasons... help connect the series to the movies better...

it all sounds all well and good, if slightly the stuff of dreams, but as someone above mentioned it sort of destroys any of the good (admittedly rare) linking material, i would argue that the spring break adventure linking material, with the only mention of anna jones fate and its effect (outside of last crusade) along with the hilarious 'back by sunday" goodbye to dad is vital, plus for one princeton 1919 simply wouldn't work without linking material as it is in fact all one episode from leaving paris on. i don't know really

Adamwankenobi

Jeremiah Jones said:
it all sounds all well and good, if slightly the stuff of dreams, but as someone above mentioned it sort of destroys any of the good (admittedly rare) linking material, i would argue that the spring break adventure linking material, with the only mention of anna jones fate and its effect (outside of last crusade) along with the hilarious 'back by sunday" goodbye to dad is vital, plus for one princeton 1919 simply wouldn't work without linking material as it is in fact all one episode from leaving paris on. i don't know really

That's why my ideal set would include both versions of the series, because, in addition to the fact that the original version needs to be preserved for fan and historical sake (just like Star Wars), each of the two versions has its own pros and cons as well.

Adamwankenobi

IndyJr. said:
They needed to use George Hall to do some bookends for Raiders, Temple and Crusade not to add to the films, but to say they at least did some... for bonus material reasons... help connect the series to the movies better...

That would have been awesome! It would have been a nice way to close the series, rather than the abrupt ending we got.

I always thought it would have been neat if, at the end of one of the war episodes, someone asks Old Indy "Did you ever have to deal with the German's again after the war?", and Indy says something like "Ohhhhh, ha ha. That's another story for another day."

(BTW, sorry for the double post.)

Lambonius

I recently came across several old VHS tapes of the show that I had made back when it was on, and I gotta say, the bookends really are hit and miss, in my opinion. In some episodes, like Curse of the Jackal, for example, they are almost invaluable, but in others, I actually found them to be pretty awkward. I DO like George Hall's narration as voice-over in nearly all cases, but some of the "present-day" bookends had utterly terrible acting, and often marred otherwise great episodes. Until I had recently stumbled upon these and re-watched them, I had thought that the bookends were an integral part of the series, and the fact that they were missing has kept me from buying the DVD sets, but now, I'm not so sure their absence will really hurt the stories that much. The much more pressing issue, I think, will probably be any awkward connecting footage...

Adamwankenobi

Lambonius said:
I recently came across several old VHS tapes of the show that I had made back when it was on, and I gotta say, the bookends really are hit and miss, in my opinion. In some episodes, like Curse of the Jackal, for example, they are almost invaluable, but in others, I actually found them to be pretty awkward. I DO like George Hall's narration as voice-over in nearly all cases, but some of the "present-day" bookends had utterly terrible acting, and often marred otherwise great episodes. Until I had recently stumbled upon these and re-watched them, I had thought that the bookends were an integral part of the series, and the fact that they were missing has kept me from buying the DVD sets, but now, I'm not so sure their absence will really hurt the stories that much. The much more pressing issue, I think, will probably be any awkward connecting footage...

Like I said above, the DVDs should have included both versions of the series since each has its pros and cons.