How the DVDs should have been...

Indianna1880

let's just be grateful

i think we should just be grateful we got them all in chronological order with the exception of chapter 2 1908-1909 and chapter 3 1908. they were all in non-contradicting order to say the least. if they had just put chapter 2 in 1908 and then during the second half saying "1yr later" that would havew solved everything and all "timeline problems" i hope we get the "old indy bookends" on the 3rd interactive disc. or as a bonus disc but if we don't i'm not too upset about it.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I just wanted the bookends as a bonus in the special features menu on each disc. That would have been enough for me.

Indianna1880

IndyJr. said:
Then of course one could go by seasons...

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Season One​

Disk One:
Curse of the Jackal
London, 1916
British East Africa, 1909
Verdun, 1916
German East Africa, 1916
Congo, 1917

Disk Two:
Bonus Material

Season Two​

Disk One:
Austria, 1917
Somme, 1916
Germany, 1916
Barcelona, 1917
Mystery of the Blues

Disk Two:
Princeton, 1916
Petrograd, 1917
The Scandal of 1920
Vienna, 1908
Northern Italy, 1918

Disk Three:
The Phantom Train of Doom
Ireland, 1916
Paris, 1908
Peking, 1910

Disk Four:
Benares, 1910
Paris, 1916
Istanbul, 1918
Paris, 1919

Disk Five:
Bonus Material

Season Three​

Disk One:
Hollywood Follies
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Attack of the Hawkmen
Travels With Father

Disk Two:
Bonus Material

of course, this version would be more... hectic... I wish they continued the series... :(

i wish they would just make a 3 volume set. with 22 movies, each one equaling 1 chapter. and then do 2-4 historical documentaries for each chapter on eeach famous person Indy ending up meeting. between 1908 and 1925ish. and put them all in chronological order during indy's travels by year. that would rule. maybe include an interactive bonus disc with a timeline, a game, and some biographies of each famous to be person and events.;) :cool:

Stoo

Indianna1880 said:
i think we should just be grateful we got them all in chronological order with the exception of chapter 2 1908-1909 and chapter 3 1908.
Barcelona is in the wrong place as it originally took place between Austria and Petrograd.
The 1918 episodes on Volume 3 will are mixed up as well.

Indianna1880

it's NOT OUT of order

Stoo said:
Barcelona is in the wrong place as it originally took place between Austria and Petrograd.
The 1918 episodes on Volume 3 will are mixed up as well.

so "Barcelona" aka Chapter 14 Spain-Prague 1917 is in the wrong place because according indy's timeline in his journel on the bonus disc it comes 2 chapters AFTER Attack of The Hawkmen aka Chapter 12 Austria 1917????

according to the disc labels it goes

Chapter 12 Austria 1917
Attack of The Hawkmen

Chapter 13 Austria-Petrograd 1917
Adventures In The Secret Service

Chapter 14 Spain-Prague 1917
Espionage Escapades

THEN he goes to...

Chapter 15 Palestine 1917
Daredevils In The Desert

so...by your logic how does the spain (barcelona) episode fit better in the dead middle of chapter 13???

you don't seem to understand this show was never aired IN CHRONOLOGICAL order. It was aired as 1 week was 2 lesson about 2 things. 1 week you might lern about indy in 1908 at age 9 meeting T.E. Lawerence and about indy in 1916 meeting Marti Hari. it was 2 lessons in 1. after the show was canceled direct to video via VHS movies were made to "air" the remaing unaired segments as movies. in 2007. everything was reedited into the chronological order by year. the only 1 thats really messed up noticibly is chapter 2

it goes from
chapter 1 Egypt 1908
My First Adventure

to
Chapter 2 Paris-Kenya 1908-1909
Passion For Life

to
Chapter 3 Florence-Vienna 1908
Perils of Cupid

the reason this was done was because
in Paris 1908 and Kenya 1909 was when Indy first learned about the value of life and these two fit best (not perfectly mind you, BEST) together in theme and year. what lucas could have done to make the difference more subtle was date it 1908 and during the Kenya segment during the show have it say "1 yr later" or "1909". 1yr later would have worked better cause according to the timeline in the interactive journel 1 is "september 1908" and the other is "september 1909" on the next page. over all thats really the only "timeline problem" chronologically speaking.

so when they originally aired...they WEREN'T in chronological order. they weren't in chronological order til they hit DVD format. this is one rare case where "air date", the date the episodes aired, contradicts "chronological date", the date the episodes actually take place in Indy's life.

:cool:

Flannery10

First of all, welcome to the Raven!

To say Stoo doesn't understand something about Young Indy is probably not such a good idea, since he has proven more than once, that he deserves the title "Young Indy expert". Maybe you should check out his uploads on YouTube, which include a rare Mystery of the Blues interview with Harrison Ford and Co. And the Old Indiana Jones Chronicles, of which Part 2 is to come soon, rigggggght???????;)

Besides, he's totally correct. The original title of Chapter 13, part 1 was Austria, March 1917, the original title of Chapter 14, part 1, Barcelona, May 1917 and the original title of chapter 13, part 2 was, Petrograd, July 1917. So yeah, they are out of chronological order. Masks of Evil is out of order too, if I remember correctly.

They were re-edited a long time before the DVD release, in 1998 or 1999 I think it was, for the first release on VHS. Shame, that we couldn't have the originals on DVD.

Indianna1880

Flannery10 said:

To say Stoo doesn't understand something about Young Indy is probably not such a good idea, since he has proven more than once, that he deserves the title "Young Indy expert". Maybe you should check out his uploads on YouTube, which include a rare Mystery of the Blues interview with Harrison Ford and Co. And the Old Indiana Jones Chronicles, of which Part 2 is to come soon, rigggggght???????;)

Besides, he's totally correct. The original title of Chapter 13, part 1 was Austria, March 1917, the original title of Chapter 14, part 1, Barcelona, May 1917 and the original title of chapter 13, part 2 was, Petrograd, July 1917. So yeah, they are out of chronological order. Masks of Evil is out of order too, if I remember correctly.

They were re-edited a long time before the DVD release, in 1998 or 1999 I think it was, for the first release on VHS. Shame, that we couldn't have the originals on DVD.
first off stoo sample hasn't proven anything to me any number of times. secondly the episodes have been re-edited into chronological order to be better connected with the movies so both the tv show and the 4 movies will be a complete life of indiana jones and finally, the key word is re-edited it's a big word for you two i'm sure but edited and re-edited have 2 different meanings, the official canon continuity according to lucas are the DVDs like it or not. so the original title of this and that is irrelevant (that means it doesn't matter, despite what you or stoo sample says or likes) because Lucas has re-edited them into the current DVDs which he says are the CANON storylines.

so no...he's not correct, Lucas is correct and i'm just repeating what confirms. so don't tell me the creator of a show is wrong about it.

Indianna1880

Flannery10 said:

why is it a shame we couldn't get half-junked versions on dvd?? your problem is your comparing complete DVDs to edited incomplete VHS copies which you just happen to like better. if we did it your way... we would have mismatching episodes and years edited together all of which running different running times and the only ones making sense would be the direct to video ones. you'd rather have that?? then you should have bought them all in 98 on VHS, junk released on junk format.

Flannery10

Indianna1880 said:
why is it a shame we couldn't get half-junked versions on dvd?? your problem is your comparing complete DVDs to edited incomplete VHS copies which you just happen to like better. if we did it your way... we would have mismatching episodes and years edited together all of which running different running times and the only ones making sense would be the direct to video ones. you'd rather have that?? then you should have bought them all in 98 on VHS, junk released on junk format.

Half-junked. Ha! The "half-junked" ones are the originals, it's exactly like the Star Wars re-edited versions. And why are they mismatching? Sorry, but I really don't get your point at all.

Stoo

Indianna1880 said:
so...by your logic how does the spain (barcelona) episode fit better in the dead middle of chapter 13???

you don't seem to understand this show was never aired IN CHRONOLOGICAL order. It was aired as 1 week was 2 lesson about 2 things. 1 week you might lern about indy in 1908 at age 9 meeting T.E. Lawerence and about indy in 1916 meeting Marti Hari. it was 2 lessons in 1. after the show was canceled direct to video via VHS movies were made to "air" the remaing unaired segments as movies. in 2007. everything was reedited into the chronological order by year. the only 1 thats really messed up noticibly is chapter 2
"The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" was *mainly* a 1 hour/episode format.
The title for each of these 1hr. shows was the place & date of the story.
So, when placed in order:

Austria - March 1917
Barcelona - May 1917 <<<<<<<
Petrograd - July 1917

"The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones" on VHS changed the chronological
order of several episodes when they sandwiched the 1 hr shows together.

"The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" DVDs have the "new" order intact
except for "Tales of Innocence" which was has been moved to take place
after "Daredevils of the Desert", instead of just before. This is a GOOD thing
since it will put them closer to the original timeline. ("Daredevils" cannot be
changed from Oct. '17 because of the historical events within.) Let's see
where "Innocence" falls on Volume 3...

I agree that the DVDs could have been done differently but am not going
to complain since I taped all the shows from TV and have the entire series.
Been watching it chronologically for a long time!

Anyway, it's great to see more people interested in Young Indy.
'Twas a lonely place here for fans of the series when I first joined!

Welcome to The Raven, Indianna1880.:hat:

Indianna1880

Stoo said:
"The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" was *mainly* a 1 hour/episode format.
The title for each of these 1hr. shows was the place & date of the story.
So, when placed in order:

Austria - March 1917
Barcelona - May 1917 <<<<<<<
Petrograd - July 1917

"The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones" on VHS changed the chronological
order of several episodes when they sandwiched the 1 hr shows together.

"The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" DVDs have the "new" order intact
except for "Tales of Innocence" which was has been moved to take place
after "Daredevils of the Desert", instead of just before. This is a GOOD thing
since it will put them closer to the original timeline. ("Daredevils" cannot be
changed from Oct. '17 because of the historical events within.) Let's see
where "Innocence" falls on Volume 3...

I agree that the DVDs could have been done differently but am not going
to complain since I taped all the shows from TV and have the entire series.
Been watching it chronologically for a long time!

Anyway, it's great to see more people interested in Young Indy.
'Twas a lonely place here for fans of the series when I first joined!

Welcome to The Raven, Indianna1880.:hat:
the original ones airing on TV were more or a less a Lesson of the week.
the VHS editions were a sloppy done way of making movies out of them, a way of making an easy buck as it were, or a "first draft" if you will (or if you won't)
the DVDs are the final canon continuity

lucas has habbit of doing this....

1977-83
Star wars episodes 4 thru 6
20yrs later
the 20th anniv. editions
10yr later
DVD editions

everytime a little more changing until the DVD version are declared final cuts

young indiana jones

TV versions serve as just a lesson of the week according to lucas as he refers to it....."a method to teach young people about history and get them interested in it." is how he put it

VHS editions
taking those lessons of the week and making movies of them. the direct to video movies were just unaired footage for the most part.

DVD editions
the final cut, re-edited, some dates changed slightly and lucas said that was going to happen so...we can't really complain about that being a surprise to us after we bought them because he DID announce that whether we read it or not so in all fairness it's not like he tried pull fast one on us.

what he gave us was the unaired episodes edited into the already existing continuity and RE-EDITED what already existed to make the unaired episodes fit in better with aired episodes. what we got was vol 1 2 and 3 DVD sets.

i wouldn't be surprised if when KOTCS comes out on DVD if we at some point get re-edited (like the DVD editions of SW) versions of the ToD, RoTLA, TLC giving us added footage and maybe even documentaries on the ark, the grail, and those 3 rocks he went after in ToD. maybe getting both version orginial and new versions of the Indy movies.

my 2 favorite lines so far in the young indiana jones movies are this. 1 is in Oganga: the giver and taker of life:
man: "you boys look like you just crawled thru hell on your bellies"
Indy: "We DIDN'T crawl!"

the other i cant recall what episode it is but it's the "bond tribute" he says....

"the names Jones! INDIANA Jones!" if anyone can recall what episode that was i'd appreciate being told

PS please excuse some of my typing, my hand is broken. ty. :cool:

Stoo

Indianna1880 said:
first off stoo sample hasn't proven anything to me any number of times.
What are talking about? You just joined a couple of days ago and
I?ve never spoken to you before.

"stoo sample". You're funny. (stool sample = sh*t sample)(n)
I welcomed you here before reading this so...I now take it back.

Indianna1880 said:
because Lucas has re-edited them into the current DVDs which he says are the CANON storylines.

so no...he's not correct, Lucas is correct and i'm just repeating what confirms. so don't tell me the creator of a show is wrong about it.
This one is a beauty. Especially since you wrote it AFTER saying this:

Indianna1880 said:
we got them all in chronological order with the exception of chapter 2 1908-1909 and chapter 3 1908. they were all in non-contradicting order to say the least. if they had just put chapter 2 in 1908 and then during the second half saying "1yr later" that would havew solved everything and all "timeline problems".
You mention contradiction and ?all the *timeline problems*? but yet you trash
Flannery10 and myself for simply stating what the original timeline was?
Makes no sense?Try and stay on track, there, Indianna1880...

Indianna1880

Stoo said:
What are talking about? You just joined a couple of days ago and
I?ve never spoken to you before.

"stoo sample". You're funny. (stool sample = sh*t sample)(n)
I welcomed you here before reading this so...I now take it back.

This one is a beauty. Especially since you wrote it AFTER saying this:

You mention contradiction and ?all the *timeline problems*? but yet you trash
Flannery10 and myself for simply stating what the original timeline was?
Makes no sense?Try and stay on track, there, Indianna1880...

frankly i don't care WHAT you take back ok? now when you get on my case? be prepared to be treated the same way. i'm not trashing Flannery at all, he says you've proven yourself as some indy expert, not to me you haven't. now as far as saying "all the timeline problems" i'm sure there are some but they are so minor it's just nit-picking. the only major timeline problem is the chapter 2 1908-1909 and chapter 3 1908 again. if lucas gave you a disc withe identical chapter only labeled as only 1908 you wouldn't know the difference.

you seem to be under the impression that because he visits the area in the same year those 2 episodes should be linked. what if the theme and story are totally unrelated yet the location is the only thing in common? you don't think that would look horrible???

Flannery says you've proven yourself time again as some indy expert, ok maybe to him you have, you haven't to me though and your not off to a good start thus far either. as far as i'm concerned as of now everyone here is just an average board member, you are the first to start going down hill. you want to prove yourself to me? then i suggest you find a better way, right now i'm putting you in the "Troll" category though. you want that to change then show me your not a troll.

your opinion of me doesn't matter to me so take back what you like. :cool:

Indianna1880

fixer79 said:
I'll tell you what the Young Indy DVD's should have been...

Available in Europe!

:(

i'm surprised they weren't available in Europe, ususally you guys get stuff BEFORE us in the states. since it's a "world tour" indy goes on with his mom and dad...it would make sense for Europe to get YIJ either before us or atleast at the same time if nothing else. well i hope you get them sooner or later. good luck.(y)

metalinvader

Indianna1880 said:
right now i'm putting you in the "Troll" category though. you want that to change then show me your not a troll.

Then you clearly have no idea what 'Trolling' actually is..
I think calling Stoo "Stoo sample" would fall into the 'Troll' category.:rolleyes:

Indianna1880

metalinvader said:
Then you clearly have no idea what 'Trolling' actually is..
I think calling Stoo "Stoo sample" would fall into the 'Troll' category.:rolleyes:

when stoo gets on my case he's trolling. you're entitled to your opinion but i don't have any problem with anyone til they jump on my case, when they do that...then they are trolls and will be treated and addressed as such. pure and simple. stool had nothing to prove to me til now. now if he wants my respect he'll have to earn it instead of me coming here having nothing against nobody and us all getting along.

if he doesn't want my respect he can just continue being a troll to me. it's his choice either way, but his opinion of me doesn't make any difference to me or take any toll on me. i'm not going to just worship him as "the boards indy expert" because a few of his followers says thats what he is. this is a public board if stoo wants to be in charge tell him to make his own website and run it.

fixer79

Indianna1880 said:
i hope you get them sooner or later. good luck.(y)

Thanks, Indianna :)
Anyway, if it seems I'll have to wait too long for the DVD's to appear in Europe I'll order them from the States on Ebay or something... Luckily, I have a region free DVD player...

I'd prefer to buy them in a shop, but it seems like LucasFilm doesn't leave us Europeans any choice...

Oh well, at least KotCS comes out here first ;)

Indianna1880

fixer79 said:
Thanks, Indianna :)
Anyway, if it seems I'll have to wait too long for the DVD's to appear in Europe I'll order them from the States on Ebay or something... Luckily, I have a region free DVD player...

I'd prefer to buy them in a shop, but it seems like LucasFilm doesn't leave us Europeans any choice...

Oh well, at least KotCS comes out here first ;)

i'm not really worried about Kingdom of The Crystal Skull being good or not, but i really wanted them to do "Spear of Destiny" to show the the story of indy going after the spear that pierced Christs skin. i think what they are trying to do is show Indy continue going after VARIOUS things instead of doing mainly Christian related artifacts i.e. the Ark, the Holy Grail, etc the only no christian item was that stone in temple of doom. i think the message they want is "hey Indy doesn't JUST do christian items with other stuff on the side! he goes after alot of different things!"

remember...Henry Jones SENIOR was the one who was obsessed with being strictly a God fearing Christian...i.e. he slaps JR "thats for blasphemy!", the search for the grail, professor of medevil science (connected to Christianity) etc.

i always laugh at the "thats for blasphemy scenes lol!

I'm sorry Indiana1880, but, you started off this attack by calling stoo 'stoo sample' I really don't think it makes any sense at all to suddenly start acting like the wounded party after shooting the opening volley. Also, why the hell should anyone have to, or even want to prove themselves to you? You've been here long enough to make a flurry of offensive comments and suddenly you seem to think you're king of the forum. Yet we've all been posting here for months, you can't just wander in and start offending people who have been here for the long haul.

Stoo was trying to be helpful. And actually, yes, he is a young Indy expert. Professors really don't need to prove themselves to first year students.