How the DVDs should have been...

Indianna1880 said:
no actually he says it directly to his father. here it is straight from the script itself.

INDY
Do you remember the last time we
had a quiet drink? I had a milk
shake.

HENRY
Hmmm... What did we talk about?

INDY
We didn't talk. We never talked.

HENRY
And do I detect a rebuke?

INDY
A regret. It was just the two of
us, Dad. It was a lonely way to
grow up. For you, too. If you
had been an ordinary, average
father like the other guys' dads,
you'd have understood that.
When?

HENRY looks up from his Diary.

HENRY
Did I ever tell you to eat up?
Go to bed? Wash your ears? Do
your homework? No. I respected
your privacy and I taught you self-
reliance.

CONTINUED: (2)

INDY
What you taught me was that I was
less important to you than people
who had been dead for five hundred
years in another country. And I
learned it so well that we've
hardly spoken for twenty years.

HENRY
You left just when you were
becoming interesting.

INDY
Dad, how can you --?

HENRY
(interrupting)
Very well. I'm here now.

so yes indy did express his "unhappiness with his childhood" and wasn't comfortable talking about it.

I don't know what you're reading.

All he stated in that exchange was a regret for his poor relationship with his father. He didn't out-right express regret for his childhood.

metalinvader

The unhappiness he felt during his childhood was after his mother died and the distance that followed with his father soon after.Note the "It was just the two of us" line.In the Corey Carrier episodes,Indy seems VERY happy.Ok,Travels with father,The whole "I hate you" thing..But growing up what kid hasn't felt that way about when fighting with their parents.Anywho...

One thing I do love,Is in the 'Curse of the Jackyl" naration..Indy says about his father,"He was a very smart man..My mother adored him."It just plays off so well with the respect and forgiveness he found for his father in LC.

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:
if something is aired out of order, intentionally or not, it's still a continuity problem/error. when people watch something they expect it to be in order atleast the first time around. so yes those are automatically continuity errors

Ever see Citizen Kane? Or Pulp Fiction? Or Memento? Or a David Lynch film? Or... *cringe*... a Lifetime movie?

Indianna1880 said:
also remember in the films indy never came across as loving to talk about his childhood so this was kind of contradicting "93 yr old indy" with "movie indy".

And also remember that the Indy of the films is in his mid-to-late 30s, and the Old Indy of the series is in his early 90s. A person tends to change over a time period of about... fifty years or so. ;)

Indianna1880 said:
the only continuity problem people complain about are "this segment would have gone betteer with that segment" and once more....that is their opinion, not a fact based "continuity error" thus if you don't share their opinion, you don't have the continuity error since the error is opinion based.

I'd say most fans of YIJC prefer the original versions. A lot of us pretty mcuh feel the same way about Lucas' YIJC re-edits as Star Wars fans do about Lucas' re-edits to the original Star Wars trilogy.

Indianna1880 said:
also i would like to add that in The Last Crusade Indy told his father how he didn't enjoy his child and how he was always moving from place to place, so it made little sense for old indy to "looooove talking about his childhood since he didn't enjoy it or have many, if any at all, fond memories of it or his father.

Note though, that in Last Crusade, Indy is refering to the time after his mother had died. His childhood adventures take place before this, and his teenage/young adult years clearly show Indy having a big falling out with his father. And of course World War I doesn't exactly make a person cheerful.

Indianna1880 said:
i think it's best to consider them 2 different canon versions of the same story. i.e. some people prefer the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles(original release) some prefer the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones (DVDs). To say 1 is better than the other...will only cause problems though.

They each have their pros and cons. And retroactively changing a work just because you've changed your mind is OK as long as you release the original version alongside (and in the same quality as) the re-edits. But Lucas hasn't done this. :(

metalinvader

Originally Posted by Indianna1880
if something is aired out of order, intentionally or not, it's still a continuity problem/error. when people watch something they expect it to be in order atleast the first time around. so yes those are automatically continuity errors

Ahem..*coughTempleofdoomcough*:p

Indianna1880

Adamwankenobi said:
Ever see Citizen Kane? Or Pulp Fiction? Or Memento? Or a David Lynch film? Or... *cringe*... a Lifetime movie?

And also remember that the Indy of the films is in his mid-to-late 30s, and the Old Indy of the series is in his early 90s. A person tends to change over a time period of about... fifty years or so. ;)

I'd say most fans of YIJC prefer the original versions. A lot of us pretty mcuh feel the same way about Lucas' YIJC re-edits as Star Wars fans do about Lucas' re-edits to the original Star Wars trilogy.

Note though, that in Last Crusade, Indy is refering to the time after his mother had died. His childhood adventures take place before this, and his teenage/young adult years clearly show Indy having a big falling out with his father. And of course World War I doesn't exactly make a person cheerful.

They each have their pros and cons. And retroactively changing a work just because you've changed your mind is OK as long as you release the original version alongside (and in the same quality as) the re-edits. But Lucas hasn't done this. :(

i've seen memento yes and i find it sad your trying to use a movie that uses flashibacks to support your opinion. the flashbacks are part of the chronology.

Indy is 36 in ToD, 37 in RoTLA, 39 in TLC. and 13 in the Flashback. the flash back shows us what happened with Indy in 1912 after his mother died. Corey Carrier's last year film as indy was in YIJC was 1910. Anna Jones died in April 1912 under the timeline it reads "April 1912. "Tragedy Strikes when Anna Jones Contracts Scarlet fever and dies" so indy only had half dozen adventures according to AYIJ and TLC before his mother died his real adventures didn't start til he was 16 or 17 and join WWI as Henri DeFense soon after. people can change but theres nothing to suggest Indy did, and the bookends are no longer Canon. so you can't support that claim that he changed.

you can prefer what you want, thats fine but you can't claim that there are plot holes that exist..based purely on your opinion. also i don't think you should try speakin for everyone but thats my opinion.

as i said before indy only had maybe half dozen adventures before his mother died in 1912 and they were all him going out on adventures. some were him just getting lost and meeting famous people. so most his adventures prior to his mothers death were him just meeting people and getting lost, they were him searching for anything or trying to accomplish anythin in particular.

Umm, how is the original presentation of Curse of the jackel with Corey Indy losing the jackel's head, followed by Sean's Indy finding it any less consistant then River's Indy losing the cross of coronado, followed by Ford's Indy finding it in Last Crusade?

I for one don't really mind too much about the bookends, I'm just happy to get the show in some form I can watch, but alot of people here really loved YIJC the way they were. Indiana1880, you obviously never watched the show when it was originally aired, but alot of people here have very fond memories of the way the show was, surely that should be allowed.

Also, surely you must admit the linking material is a bit sloppy, I mean take 'Love's Sweet Song' for instance, Indy experiences the Easter Rising, is almost killed, and all he takes from it is that Sean Lemass' sister is an idiot, wait til you see Masks of Evil, one of the most unintentially hilarious linking sequences filmed.

I know its Chronologically arranged now, but the original episodes had their own dates, I really don't understand how it can be taken as a continuity error when nothing has been changed in the episodes themselves bar certain dubbing issues.

Indianna1880

Adamwankenobi said:
That's... what you're doing.
no i'm going by what lucas explained he was doing with them back in 2002 when started this project. if you say i'm wrong then your saying lucas is wrong about his own project.

try to show me a continuity error...WITHOUT using the original show or the vhs copies. show me something that when you watch the DVDs for the first time...you can say..."that contradicts what was said/happened earlier in the series.

you cant.

metalinvader

Indianna1880 said:
no i'm going by what lucas explained he was doing with them back in 2002 when started this project. if you say i'm wrong then your saying lucas is wrong about his own project.

try to show me a continuity error...WITHOUT using the original show or the vhs copies. show me something that when you watch the DVDs for the first time...you can say..."that contradicts what was said/happened earlier in the series.

you cant.

I don't know how many times I've got to say this but the VHS and DVD versions are exactaly the same!

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:

you cant.

In Chapter 2 (I hate calling them that), Indy and family travel to Paris, where he meets Pablo Picasso. However, near the end of Chapter 3, Anna says that their next destination is Paris. And of course they are never seen traveling there after that (although Indy does later return there during World War I, but that's irrelevant).

Indianna1880

Jeremiah Jones said:
Umm, how is the original presentation of Curse of the jackel with Corey Indy losing the jackel's head, followed by Sean's Indy finding it any less consistant then River's Indy losing the cross of coronado, followed by Ford's Indy finding it in Last Crusade?

I for one don't really mind too much about the bookends, I'm just happy to get the show in some form I can watch, but alot of people here really loved YIJC the way they were. Indiana1880, you obviously never watched the show when it was originally aired, but alot of people here have very fond memories of the way the show was, surely that should be allowed.

Also, surely you must admit the linking material is a bit sloppy, I mean take 'Love's Sweet Song' for instance, Indy experiences the Easter Rising, is almost killed, and all he takes from it is that Sean Lemass' sister is an idiot, wait til you see Masks of Evil, one of the most unintentially hilarious linking sequences filmed.

I know its Chronologically arranged now, but the original episodes had their own dates, I really don't understand how it can be taken as a continuity error when nothing has been changed in the episodes themselves bar certain dubbing issues.

i will answer your questions in order.

-to your first question. Because Indy had other adventures (that were filmed) between losing and regainning the jackel. if your going to put something in order your going to put it in order of when it happens. i.e. his early adventures, the first one losing the jackel, then the rest of his early adventures take place, then the one where he regains the jackel. this is done to show us what happened inbetween losing and regainning the jackel.

-actually i watched the show every week, if i recall correctly it was on right before...or right after "Brisco County JR" i think right before Brisco but i'm not 100% sure on that they were back to back though i'm sure of that.

-the bridging segment is FAR from "perfect" but to call it sloppy is a bit harsh i think. remember anytime bridging scenes are added in it's going to be somewhat obvisious esp if your expecting it and it's linking 2 TV episodes. i think you guys were expecting like 1 episode in a parter as opposed to making 2 episodes into a 1 part episode. i won't claim it's perfect but..if your not looking for it and just enjoying the show you won't notice most of them.

-masks of evil is one i look forward to seeing. and never have seen.

-so you admit that now they are chronological in order? that's what i've been pressing. the DVD are in chronological order. i dont find any "time frame/continuity errors in the DVDs except chapter 2 but i've come to over look that one and understand why it was done.

cheers! :hat:

Adamwankenobi said:
In Chapter 2 (I hate calling them that), Indy and family travel to Paris, where he meets Pablo Picasso. However, near the end of Chapter 3, Anna says that their next destination is Paris. And of course they are never seen traveling there after that (although Indy does later return there during World War I, but that's irrelevant).
so outside of that there's no continuity errors 1 error in the DVDs vs a few continuity errors in the originial show is still less errors.

besides if you just assume chapter 2 and 3 were misdated and 3 is supposed to be 2 and 2 is supposed to be 3everything else is back on track. it 1 error vs a few.

Adamwankenobi said:
adam would you mind telling me exactly where that quote is in chapter about anna telling them there next destination is paris?? i looked and looked and can't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:
so outside of that there's no continuity errors 1 error in the DVDs vs a few continuity errors in the originial show is still less errors.

besides if you just assume chapter 2 and 3 were misdated and 3 is supposed to be 2 and 2 is supposed to be 3everything else is back on track. it 1 error vs a few.

It's clear to me that (and I say this is the nicest way possible) you are familiar with the show, but that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to specifics.

Indianna1880

Adamwankenobi said:
It's clear to me that (and I say this is the nicest way possible) you are familiar with the show, but that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to specifics.
i will ask again...where is the scene where anna says "our next destination is paris" because the only one i could find was at the beginning of the paris episode on the train.

perhap it's not that i don't know what i'm talking about, but just that i'm not looking for problems that don't exist except in opinion alone.

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:
i will ask again...where is the scene where anna says "our next destination is paris" because the only one i could find was at the beginning of the paris episode on the train.

It's either her or Miss Seymour (I haven't watched that episode in a while) who says that during the scene where Anna returns home late at night after going out with Pccini. Anna and Miss Seymour enchange a few glances indicating that they know each other knows the situation with Puccini, and then they talk about when they will be leaving.

Indianna1880

Adamwankenobi said:
It's either her or Miss Seymour (I haven't watched that episode in a while) who says that during the scene where Anna returns home late at night after going out with Pccini. Anna and Miss Seymour enchange a few glances indicating that they know each other knows the situation with Puccini, and then they talk about when they will be leaving.
well in chapter 3 at 43mins in miss seymour mentions they are on their way to Florence, at 45 mins Anna mentions "italy" but there is no mention of in chapter 3 of them going to paris. i'm not saying your wrong, i'm just saying i'vr yet to find it.

Indy Smith

I had no idea the DVDs were out yet. I see it is only in the US so far and it's not come to Region 2 yet. This is probably why I did not notice.

Stoo

Indy Smith said:
I had no idea the DVDs were out yet. I see it is only in the US so far and it's not come to Region 2 yet. This is probably why I did not notice.
Yes, I feel bad for you, Indy Smith (and everybody else). I was lucky enough
to grab them while at home in Canada over Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed!

Indianna1880, for some strange reason, you were offended by finding out that Barcelona
originally took place between Austria and Petrograd, so please don't take offense to this.
People are only trying to help you by clarifying the facts.

Indianna1880 said:
i will ask again...where is the scene where anna says "our next destination is paris"
Adam has already specified which scene it's in. Why don't you just watch that part?
Both Anna and Miss Seymour talk about going to Paris. It's at the 1 hr 20 mins mark.
(Anyway, they could have easily gone back to Paris and we don't see it.)

Last edited by a moderator: