How the DVDs should have been...

Indianna1880

Stoo said:
Indianna1880, for some strange reason, you were offended by finding out that Barcelona
originally took place between Austria and Petrograd, so please don't take offense to this.
People are only trying to help you by clarifying the facts.

Adam has already specified which scene it's in. Why don't you just watch that part?
Both Anna and Miss Seymour talk about going to Paris. It's at the 1 hr 20 mins mark.
(Anyway, they could have easily gone back to Paris and we don't see it.)
i did finally find it. and i just assume that like you said they A) had gone back to paris and we didn't see it. B) Anna was so emotionally confused she said paris by "mistake" and it was ment to show her emotional distress. or C) Paris (being the city of love) is the first thing that came to her mind in her state of confusion. after all... Miss seymour DOES say "Paris?" as if she ment it like "weren't we just there???" so any of these are plausable i prefer to think it was intended to show her emotional distess and confusion since miss seymour does repeat it "questioningly"

i wasn't offended by where barcelona originally took place. i was simply saying it the continuity has been re-edited and the quote "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" are out dated and not longer canon, they have been re-edited into the "Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" chapters 1-22 which according to lucas is the canon time line.

if something is out-dated and re-edited into a timeline...then you can't claim it's "out of continuity" since the previous/original version is out dated and no longer Canon. you might prefer the original...but it's still non-canon and out dated.

it's like trying to connect the prequels trilogy of star wars with the original trilogy version from 77, 81, 83. many people may prefer those version, perhaps the vast majority even, but according to it's creator...they are out dated and non-canon. the canon versions are the 2004 editions that were re-released again in 2006 with the original "un-re-edited ones.

these are new re-edited versions of young indiana jones that have become the canon continuity. so you can't say this segment is supposed to be here that segment is supposed to be there, because in the re-edited canon continuity everything is where it's supposed to be. for example...in the new continuity...indy goes to Kenya BEFORE Florence. these kind of things in AYIJ are only contradicting the old YIJC continuity...which is no longer canon.

i'm sorry if you don't like the new versions of YIJ...but like them or not...THEY are what is canon and in proper order. I myself didn't like the Phantom Menace in SW Prequels but i accept it as part of the proper canon continuity despite my dislike for it...i even own it. i know you won't like this explaination much less ACCEPT it, but it's whats true. the continuity goes AYIJ, ToD, RoTLA, TLC, KoTCS. YIJC is no longer canon and it's no longer guranteed Indy lives to be 93 since George Hall was removed.

if you want to see a messed up continuity?? look at the Highlander Continiuty! now THATS messed up.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Indiana1880 said:
i was simply saying it the continuity has been re-edited and the quote "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" are out dated and not longer canon, they have been re-edited into the "Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" chapters 1-22 which according to lucas is the canon time line.

Of course, given that the series was always conceived as it was presented on TV and not in its "feature-length" form, the original TV versions show Lucas' true original intentions. What he specializes in is re-writing history. Thankfully he didn't try to use his god-like control to try to alter people's perceptions of the real events presented in the show. If he did, he would have probably had Picasso having an affair with Mata Hari, who turns out to be his long-lost sister. :sick:

Indiana1880 said:
if something is out-dated and re-edited into a timeline...then you can't claim it's "out of continuity" since the previous/original version is out dated and no longer Canon. you might prefer the original...but it's still non-canon and out dated.

Imagine for a second if Lucas one day (God forbid) decided to take Raiders of the Lost Ark and edit it and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull together as a new "movie" called "The Quest for the Covenant". And let's say he removes Indy's South American adventure from Raiders "so that the film will flow better", and shoots new "bridging" footage years later with a 70-year-old Harrison Ford. Now pretend that within the context of "The Quest for the Covenant", all of this footage is supposed to take place within a just a few days time, with Indy at the same age. Would that make sense to fans? How would Lucas expect fans to react? :sick: :sick:

Matinee Idyll

Adamwankenobi said:
Imagine for a second if Lucas one day (God forbid) decided to take Raiders of the Lost Ark and edit it and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull together as a new "movie" called "The Quest for the Covenant". And let's say he removes Indy's South American adventure from Raiders "so that the film will flow better", and shoots new "bridging" footage years later with a 70-year-old Harrison Ford. Now pretend that within the context of "The Quest for the Covenant", all of this footage is supposed to take place within a just a few days time, with Indy at the same age. Would that make sense to fans? How would Lucas expect fans to react? :sick: :sick:

That's precisely my view - perfectly expressed Adam, onya.

Indianna1880

Adamwankenobi said:
Of course, given that the series was always conceived as it was presented on TV and not in its "feature-length" form, the original TV versions show Lucas' true original intentions. What he specializes in is re-writing history. Thankfully he didn't try to use his god-like control to try to alter people's perceptions of the real events presented in the show. If he did, he would have probably had Picasso having an affair with Mata Hari, who turns out to be his long-lost sister. :sick:

Lucas created the series not to re-write history, but for it to be used as a teaching tool ABOUT history. what you are doing now...is just find excuses to hate the DVDs. Lucas has a reputation for re-editing things, but it's not nearly as extreme as your making it out to be. if these shows were aired EXACTLY as they are on DVDs...you would be sitting here defending them to your dying breath, you hate them and criticize them because they didn't air this way. if you had no knowledge of the original versions you wouldn't sit her complaining about all these continuity error that you can only find by comparing the DVDs to the un-edited versions.

all you do is complain and attack the DVDs for attention...like some little kid. i won't give it to you.

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:
Lucas created the series not to re-write history, but for it to be used as a teaching tool ABOUT history.

And what a vision it was. Too bad the DVD presentations of the series are going to frustrate students and teachers: The students will say something like "I thought this episode is about Theordore Roosevelt?!? Why are they suddenly going to Paris?" And the teachers will say something like "Oh, I'm sorry about that. You're right class. Maybe we have a faulty DVD."

Indianna1880 said:
what you are doing now...is just find excuses to hate the DVDs.

There are no excuses to find. It's all layed out there in the open. Lucas opened himself up to criticism by not releasing both versions of the series on DVD. It's the same situation as with the 2004 Star Wars Trilogy DVDs.

Indianna1880 said:
if these shows were aired EXACTLY as they are on DVDs...you would be sitting here defending them to your dying breath, you hate them and criticize them because they didn't air this way. if you had no knowledge of the original versions you wouldn't sit her complaining about all these continuity error that you can only find by comparing the DVDs to the un-edited versions.

Had they originally been conceived the way they are presented on the DVDs, I wouldn't have very many gripes at all. What irks me the most is that Lucas can't leave well enough alone and move on. If he had wanted the series to be the way it is on the DVDs, then he would have originally conceived of and created the series that way. Once a work of art is out in the public, people tend to accept it for what it is. Except in the cases where there is studio interference with the creative team or individual and their work (which tends to cause the work to not live up to the creator's vision), I have no problem accepting the final product because I realize that the creators made exactly what they wanted to make. Every filmmaker second guesses themselves and wishes they could change something. But most of them know when to step back and say "OK, it's the best I could do it under the circumstances. It's done". And those who do go back and change things don't pretend like their new version is the "only" version. They release both the original and new versions of their work so that audiences can make up their own mind. Lucas is the only exception. He seems to have very little respect for his fanbase or film history.

Indianna1880 said:
all you do is complain and attack the DVDs for attention...like some little kid. i won't give it to you.

I'm defending my opinions on the series and its DVD release... just like you are. I am not attacking the DVDs. There are a lot of good things about them (the documentaries, the lectures, the timeline, the games, and the cover art). But there is one major bad thing: the original episodes are not included on the set. I don't have a problem with Lucas making new versions of his works as long as he respects fans and film history and releases both versions in equal quality on DVD.

This pretty much sums up how I (and many other fans) feel about Lucas' changes: http://www.southparkzone.com/episodes/609/Free-Hat.html

Last edited:
I think this argument is pushing everybody on both sides to the extremes.

Neither side dares slip up on the strength of their feelings regarding the presentation of these dvds. Well. Relax a bit I think. Personally, while I would like to have seen the original versions alongside the new, I never really thought it was going to happen. This isn't blade runner we're talking about here, or close encounters, or even Star Wars, this is the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, a show that didn't do very well on its first release, cost thousands to make, that few people have heard of, and is unpopular even amongst parts of the Indiana Jones fanbase. While I love the show to bits, I can understand George's reasoning here. Its not the sacrilage people seem to see it as. He was just trying to present the show in a fashion that he hoped would prove more popular, for when all is said and done I think its fair to say that Lucas LOVES young Indy, he really really loves the show, how else can you explain the thousands poured into releasing a little seen show on DVD.

I for one am overjoyed that its available on any format, in any form, because for quite a long time I thought it would never happen, and I am so so glad it did.

Adamwankenobi

Jeremiah Jones said:
This isn't blade runner we're talking about here, or close encounters, or even Star Wars, this is the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, a show that didn't do very well on its first release, cost thousands to make, that few people have heard of, and is unpopular even amongst parts of the Indiana Jones fanbase.

It's not about catering to popularity, it's about respect for fans and film history. The original show was loved by a small, but very strong group of people such as myself, and if it were any other filmmaker behind this show, they would have respected this alongside their own re-edits.

And it's interesting that you bring up Star Wars and Blade Runner. Star Wars hasn't been given the proper treatment either, it's just that its fanbase is able to scream louder about it, yet they're still not getting the respect they deserve. They're the ones who made Lucas the rich man he is today by going to see his films and buying all of his merchandise and being loyal to the franchise, yet all they get is one big middle finger from Lucas.

But with Blade Runner, I couldn't have more respect for Ridley Scott and Charles de Lauzirika for the respect they gave Blade Runner fans with the film's recent re-release. For a film that was neither critically nor financially successful when it was originally released (sound familiar?), they released all versions of the film so that the public could make up their own mind which to watch. Ridley Scott even talks about this in his letter in the briefcase version. He says he realizes how there are many fans who prefer the original version (with the voiceover and "happy ending"), and there are those who prefer the international version or the US version or the original Director's Cut. So he put those on there out of respect for his hard core fans.

Ridley Scott didn't have to do this. He could have been like Lucas and forced his version on everyone, but he didn't, because he respects his fans and film history.

And, as you also mentioned in your post, Lucas put a lot of money into the Young Indy DVDs when he didn't have to. It's the same situation with Ridley Scott, except... you know the rest.

Jeremiah Jones said:
He was just trying to present the show in a fashion that he hoped would prove more popular,

The thing is, he already tried releasing them this way back in '99, and they sold so poorly that Lucasfilm and Paramount didn't release the rest as they had originally planned. All that release did was **** off fans of the original series like myself, and confuse everyone else who had seen the series previously.

Jeremiah Jones said:
I for one am overjoyed that its available on any format, in any form, because for quite a long time I thought it would never happen, and I am so so glad it did.

That's what a lot of people said about the 2004 Star Wars Trilogy DVDs. But they were a huge slap in the face as well. And after all of the complaints and requests that Star Wars fans made to Lucasfilm wanting the original cuts, all they got were those lousy 1993 non-anamorphic laserdisc masters slapped onto DVD.

Indianna1880

Adamwankenobi said:
It's not about catering to popularity, it's about respect for fans and film history. The original show was loved by a small, but very strong group of people such as myself, and if it were any other filmmaker behind this show, they would have respected this alongside their own re-edits.

And it's interesting that you bring up Star Wars and Blade Runner. Star Wars hasn't been given the proper treatment either, it's just that its fanbase is able to scream louder about it, yet they're still not getting the respect they deserve. They're the ones who made Lucas the rich man he is today by going to see his films and buying all of his merchandise and being loyal to the franchise, yet all they get is one big middle finger from Lucas.

But with Blade Runner, I couldn't have more respect for Ridley Scott and Charles de Lauzirika for the respect they gave Blade Runner fans with the film's recent re-release. For a film that was neither critically nor financially successful when it was originally released (sound familiar?), they released all versions of the film so that the public could make up their own mind which to watch. Ridley Scott even talks about this in his letter in the briefcase version. He says he realizes how there are many fans who prefer the original version (with the voiceover and "happy ending"), and there are those who prefer the international version or the US version or the original Director's Cut. So he put those on there out of respect for his hard core fans.

Ridley Scott didn't have to do this. He could have been like Lucas and forced his version on everyone, but he didn't, because he respects his fans and film history.

And, as you also mentioned in your post, Lucas put a lot of money into the Young Indy DVDs when he didn't have to. It's the same situation with Ridley Scott, except... you know the rest.

The thing is, he already tried releasing them this way back in '99, and they sold so poorly that Lucasfilm and Paramount didn't release the rest as they had originally planned. All that release did was **** off fans of the original series like myself, and confuse everyone else who had seen the series previously.

That's what a lot of people said about the 2004 Star Wars Trilogy DVDs. But they were a huge slap in the face as well. And after all of the complaints and requests that Star Wars fans made to Lucasfilm wanting the original cuts, all they got were those lousy 1993 non-anamorphic laserdisc masters slapped onto DVD.

i'll make this short and to the point. the problem isn't how YIJC aired, or how it was re-edited into AYIJ, or about any director re-editing any film or show be it Indiana jones, Alien 3, or Star Wars.

the problem Adam is you and Jeremiah don't like George Lucas for changing HIS show and movies to better fit HIS vision. the only reason you don't hate the Indiana Jones movies is because Lucas didn't direct them. what you probably don't know....is Lucas WROTE the story of indiana jones and Spielberg just directed it.

i'm dont trying to explain the obvisious to you, all you're going to see is whatever you want to b*tch about and then make up excuses why the final vision doesn't work.

Flannery10

Ok, I have to admit, that there were some times I thought Young Indy was never gonna be released on DVD at all, and now it was and I could watch those episodes I haven't seen before (ok, except volume 3, of course). And since I have seen a couple, not many, original episodes I started to build up an opinion.

Young Indiana Jones just isn't Indiana Jones. Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mean it in a sense of canon, and all that stuff, but in it's style, moral and plots. While the 3 (soon 4) Indiana Jones movies were there to ENTERTAIN only, the Young Indy Chronicles were a completely different character approach, and you saw Young Indy when he wasn't looking for artifacts, or fighting Nazis, no, he was growing up in an almost perfect world until his mother died and then found out what life really is about. Those are the events that made Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones and that's why the bookends were so perfect. We found out what the Older and wiser Indy thought about the events he took part in and if he's still proud or ashamed, of the things he did. It gave every single episode depth, and that's why in my opinion, 90 minute films of Young Indy without an older Indy just don't work. Besides, they were not made to be that way, and as my fellow Raveners already brought to your attention, Indianna, you can do this in another way, like (the best example around), Blade Runner.

As for the Indiana Jones films, I know that George Lucas wrote them. And if he wouldn't have changed Star Wars I could even come up with a good reason why he changed Young Indy. He wanted to give the series another try in a different format so people, who have never heard about the series, could experience in a different way. But Star Wars, one of the most poplular trilogy of all the time, should have never been changed and Young Indy neither, for the record. Young Indy and Old Indy depend on each other and without Old Indy, the series is not what it was and how I (and obviously many other people) prefer it. So let's hope that maybe one day, one day...

Indianna1880

Flannery10 said:
Ok, I have to admit, that there were some times I thought Young Indy was never gonna be released on DVD at all, and now it was and I could watch those episodes I haven't seen before (ok, except volume 3, of course). And since I have seen a couple, not many, original episodes I started to build up an opinion.

Young Indiana Jones just isn't Indiana Jones. Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mean it in a sense of canon, and all that stuff, but in it's style, moral and plots. While the 3 (soon 4) Indiana Jones movies were there to ENTERTAIN only, the Young Indy Chronicles were a completely different character approach, and you saw Young Indy when he wasn't looking for artifacts, or fighting Nazis, no, he was growing up in an almost perfect world until his mother died and then found out what life really is about. Those are the events that made Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones and that's why the bookends were so perfect. We found out what the Older and wiser Indy thought about the events he took part in and if he's still proud or ashamed, of the things he did. It gave every single episode depth, and that's why in my opinion, 90 minute films of Young Indy without an older Indy just don't work. Besides, they were not made to be that way, and as my fellow Raveners already brought to your attention, Indianna, you can do this in another way, like (the best example around), Blade Runner.

As for the Indiana Jones films, I know that George Lucas wrote them. And if he wouldn't have changed Star Wars I could even come up with a good reason why he changed Young Indy. He wanted to give the series another try in a different format so people, who have never heard about the series, could experience in a different way. But Star Wars, one of the most poplular trilogy of all the time, should have never been changed and Young Indy neither, for the record. Young Indy and Old Indy depend on each other and without Old Indy, the series is not what it was and how I (and obviously many other people) prefer it. So let's hope that maybe one day, one day...

Flannery? Adam is just butt-hurt because the un-re-edited version didn't get released, and because lucas decided later to re-edit them in AYIJ to better make HIS show...fit HIS vision. as result...he LOOKS for minor things to complain about and if he fails, he makes them up. if people agree with him it's a bonus for him.

metalinvader

Indianna1880,I've noticed that when someone doesn't agree with you,You need to rely on personal attack and insults.Quite frankly it's childish.Just because someone doesn't agree with you on how the DVDs should have been doesn't give you any right to put them down.

and if anyone is making things up it's you.Now who is the one who kept on insisting that the VHS and DVD were different edits?Hmmm...

Flannery10

Indianna1880 said:
Flannery? Adam is just butt-hurt because the un-re-edited version didn't get released, and because lucas decided later to re-edit them in AYIJ to better make HIS show...fit HIS vision. as result...he LOOKS for minor things to complain about and if he fails, he makes them up. if people agree with him it's a bonus for him.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Indianna, but I'm not saying this because Adam says so, but because it's my OPINION, that the original versions should never have been altered and cut in any way, and you thinking something else is YOUR OPINION. So I have to intention of interfering with it, but please, leave my opinion to me, and I'll leave yours to you.

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:
the problem Adam is you and Jeremiah don't like George Lucas for changing HIS show and movies to better fit HIS vision.

I've made it quite clear to you that I'm not mad at him for changing his show. I'm upset that he hasn't released the original versions of the series. I'm talking about the version that was nominated for 23 and won 11 Emmy Awards because of the hard work of multiple writers, directors and other artists. I'm talking about the ones that Lucas originally envisioned.

Indianna1880 said:
the only reason you don't hate the Indiana Jones movies is because Lucas didn't direct them. what you probably don't know....is Lucas WROTE the story of indiana jones and Spielberg just directed it.

Again, you're jumping the gun and trying to claim that just because I don't like some of Lucas' decision means that I must not like Lucas in general. And you couldn't be more wrong. I love nearly everything he's had a hand in. He's just made some very poor and disrespectful decisions in hs later career that has caused me to lose a little respect for him as an artist.

Spielberg made a similar poor decision back in 2000 when he revisited his film ET and replaced the shotguns with walkie talkies. BUT, he released both the original version and his re-edited version on DVD in equal quality. That is the key difference between Lucas and Spielberg.

Indianna1880 said:
i'm dont trying to explain the obvisious to you, all you're going to see is whatever you want to

What an ironic statement.

Indianna1880 said:

I see that you're resulting to insults and making false accusations.

Indianna1880

metalinvader said:
Indianna1880,I've noticed that when someone doesn't agree with you,You need to rely on personal attack and insults.Quite frankly it's childish.Just because someone doesn't agree with you on how the DVDs should have been doesn't give you any right to put them down.

and if anyone is making things up it's you.Now who is the one who kept on insisting that the VHS and DVD were different edits?Hmmm...
since the DVDs include NEW BRIDGING FOOTAGE they ARE new editions.

Flannery10 said:
I'm sorry to disappoint you, Indianna, but I'm not saying this because Adam says so, but because it's my OPINION, that the original versions should never have been altered and cut in any way, and you thinking something else is YOUR OPINION. So I have to intention of interfering with it, but please, leave my opinion to me, and I'll leave yours to you.
flannery? i didn't say you were just saying that cause adam says so. i'm just saying, he's upset that lucas re-edited the show into this to better fit his vision, and anytime he gets someone who has the same opinion as his...he uses it to his advantage and its a bonus for him. nothing was said against you, i was simply replying to you is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

metalinvader

Indianna1880 said:
since the DVDs include NEW BRIDGING FOOTAGE they ARE new editions.

Nope.Nice try though.:hat:
If you can show me any change from the VHS to the DVD versions,I'll have to change my mind then.While I do own all the VHS copies I havn't seen them in YEARS.

Last edited:

Indianna1880

metalinvader said:
Nope.Nice try though.:hat:
If you can show me any change from the VHS to the DVD versions,I'll have to change my mind then.While I do own all the VHS copies I havn't seen them in YEARS.
it was either George Lucas or Rick Mallcum (however his name is spelt) that said they were shooting new bridging footage for some of the films. i.e. some (perhaps not all) of the DVD versions of the chapters, more than likely the "unaired" episodes like "attack of the hawkmen" were left alone i imagin, would not be the same as the VHS ones. 1 chapter might have the same beginning but different 2nd segment, the next chapter might have new first segment but different second segment. THAT'S why they appear out of order various segments were taken re-edited and re-titled. thats why the "barcelona" segment is just called "spain" now.

believe what you want but thats the truth.i want to say Lucas said this...but i think it was Rick Malcalum

PS someone tell me how Rick's last name is spelt if you know the guy i'm talkin about! thanks in advanced.

Adamwankenobi

Indianna1880 said:
he's upset that lucas re-edited the show into this to better fit his vision

No, he re-edited the show because he changed his "vision". The post-1996 Lucas likes to spread all this BS that, from the moment he hit film school, he had this "Grand Vision (TM)" for everything he's worked on. The sad thing is, a lot of people buy into that. Rick McCallum is Lucas' personal spokesperson on that issue. According to McCallum, every single idea and decision of Lucas' is "brilliant". :rolleyes:

Indianna1880 said:
and anytime he gets someone who has the same opinion as his...he uses it to his advantage and its a bonus for him.

Name once that I've relied on another poster's comments like that.

Indianna1880 said:
it was either George Lucas or Rick Mallcum (however his name is spelt) that said they were shooting new bridging footage for some of the films.

That was circa 1996.

metalinvader

Adamwankenobi said:
That was circa 1996.

Right,Adam.What you see on the DVD is what you see on the VHS.

Can someone explain to me why any good Young Indy thread turns into a thread about pointless bickering?

Stoo

metalinvader said:
Can someone explain to me why any good Young Indy thread turns into a thread about pointless bickering?
Well, in this case, I think it's because we are dealing with someone who is
clearly mixed-up concerning the basic facts (and doesn't want to listen).
Indianna1880 said:
"unaired" episodes like "attack of the hawkmen"
It aired in October '95. This is just *one* example of your misunderstandings.
There are many more...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
metalinvader said:

Obviously this occurs because:

1. The fans of the series are generally not happy with the editing and bridging of the episodes together into 2 hour movies and the cutting of Old Indy and the fact that none of the above is in the DVD sets, which one forks out a fortune for.

2. The anti-fans of the series coming over to this table to scream out, "YIJC IS NOT CANON!"

3. The newer fans of YIJC not agreeing with the fans who have seen the episodes on Old Indy needing to be there and whether he counts as canon and whether the episodes are better as the originally aired.

Then there are the few like myself, who just couldn't give a crap and enjoys Young Indy either way, original episodes and the 2 hour telemovies. The original episodes are like rare artifacts and I enjoy seeing people recovering them and posting them on Youtube. Especially Old Indy but still enjoy the YIJC movies the way they are too.