How the DVDs should have been...

Flannery10

I have been reported? Sorry, wouldn't know about that. Explain yourself, Indianna, instead of just putting something down.

Indiana I'm afraid I don't know what you mean if you say I insulted you, perhaps my words read harshly when replying to certain things said to me. However, Finn, if I came across as being insulting then I apologise. I felt I reacted only in defence. And I certainly never 'ganged up' on anybody. If offense was taken, then apologies.

However, I do not retract any defense I might have offered to the verbal slights I recieved.

I think thats fair.

Finn

Staff member
Jeremiah... fair indeed. Now, if just all of you had gone down the same road.
Flannery10 said:
I have been reported? Sorry, wouldn't know about that. Explain yourself, Indianna, instead of just putting something down.
You'll have to wait awhile for that... with yesterday's antics our friend won himself a month's luxury vacation in the Banana Islands.

It's not in my habits to talk about these things, but I guess that this warrants an exception, so that perhaps at least somebody would learn something about all this.

Our story starts when a discussion heats up just a little too much in one secluded corner of the table, and a moderator is dispatched to the scene what seems like a standard call.

So... the mod does what he usually does, sternly and no-nonsensically tells the participants of the quarrel to sort their differences. He does his best to avoid calling any names or directing the message to anybody in particular. What he expects is all participants of the heated discussion to cool down and get it back on track so he can go back to minding his own business and just forget about this unhappy ordeal.

Along comes a member who for some odd reason figures that he's above the board rules and their enforcers. He practically tells the mod to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and technically calls him a windbag who can do nothing to stop him from throwing tantrums.

On top of that, he tries to threaten the moderator to back off by claiming he's filed a report about him. Well, he did file one, by using a feature called report bad post. Now, here comes the absurd part. First of all, our little friend says that the mod who's trying to sort out the mess can do nothing about it and he's not one to be scared. In the next sentence, however, he himself tries to scare off the mod by saying he's reported him. This he does by using a feature that notifies the moderators.

Okay, I think you can all see logical infallacy that's in the play here. But there's just one little more bit and certainly the best part... now, all of these reports our friend so enthusiastically made were naturally forwarded to a moderator.

I'm giving you one chance to guess who the mod in question was. And if he was smiling or not.

Today's lesson: It might be true that it's the Brave who shall inherit the world. Luckily however, there's natural selection that will sort out the Stupid in the process.

ReggieSnake

Finn said:
Today's lesson: It might be true that it's the Brave who shall inherit the world. Luckily however, there's natural selection that will sort out the Stupid in the process.
Funny and fortunate, at least in the world of forums.;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I finally have got my VOLUME ONE boxset!!! I must say though, First Adventure was disappointing. That Carrier voice-over is so crap! That episode really needs Old Indy. Everything else in the episode was fine. Just the voice-over bugged me. I have yet to watch the rest so I can't wait to see what else has done to the other episodes. Also to see the originally deleted Baby Indy scenes was quite funny. It was so cute with baby Indy the dog!

Adamwankenobi

Violet Indy said:
I finally have got my VOLUME ONE boxset!!! I must say though, First Adventure was disappointing. That Carrier voice-over is so crap!

As I've said before, while listening to Carrier's narration, you almost expect his voice to crack at any moment. :p Although each of its two stories are very good, "My First Adventure" is a mess when looked at as one piece.

Violet Indy said:
That episode really needs Old Indy. Everything else in the episode was fine. Just the voice-over bugged me. I have yet to watch the rest so I can't wait to see what else has done to the other episodes. Also to see the originally deleted Baby Indy scenes was quite funny. It was so cute with baby Indy the dog!

Yep. The "Egypt 1908"/"Mexico 1916" segments need Old Indy perhaps more than any of the episodes. But yeah, I thought that was a nice touch, putting the baby Indy footage at the beginning of MFA.

Flannery10

Adamwankenobi said:
Yep. The "Egypt 1908"/"Mexico 1916" segments need Old Indy perhaps more than any of the episodes. But yeah, I thought that was a nice touch, putting the baby Indy footage at the beginning of MFA.

Exactly what I think.

ReggieSnake

O.K. so I watched my first Young Indy episode last night. I taped "Masks of Evil" from the history channel. Just a little freaky; I suppose it didn't help that I watched it at 2 am!:rolleyes:

Adamwankenobi

ReggieSnake said:
O.K. so I watched my first Young Indy episode last night. I taped "Masks of Evil" from the history channel. Just a little freaky; I suppose it didn't help that I watched it at 2 am!:rolleyes:

At least you didn't start with "Espionage Escapades". :eek:

ReggieSnake

Do you happen to know when they started re-airing them on the History Channel? I'm planning on taping them as they're aired (at least till I can get a hold of the Dvds) Are they airing them in order? And if so, have I missed the better part of the episodes already?

Just in case you know; however freaky, I did enjoy the episode last night.;)

metalinvader

ReggieSnake said:
Do you happen to know when they started re-airing them on the History Channel? I'm planning on taping them as they're aired (at least till I can get a hold of the Dvds) Are they airing them in order? And if so, have I missed the better part of the episodes already?

Just in case you know; however freaky, I did enjoy the episode last night.;)

History doesn't air them in any order I believe.Your better off with the DVDs for the simple reason that History plays WAYYYYYYYY to many comercials...It makes me want to pull my hair out!:p

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the episode you saw,It's one hell of a series!

ReggieSnake

metalinvader said:
History doesn't air them in any order I believe.Your better off with the DVDs for the simple reason that History plays WAYYYYYYYY to many comercials...It makes me want to pull my hair out!:p

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the episode you saw,It's one hell of a series!
That's why I taped it: so I wouldn't have to watch the commercials!;)

I'm holding out on the Dvds because I'm trying to get my local library to buy a set, so I don't have to buy them. (No, I'm not going to pirate them, though it would be sooo easy; CP is so rediculous.)

But if that doesn't work out I'll probably just cash in and buy them, or look for some used copies.

Oh man, its months later, the dvds have been released for a long time now, KOTCS has come and gone in an air of controversy, but this thread, this thread, its a gripping read, I'd forgotten how hilariously bizarre it all was. Brilliant.(y)

vf wing

Flannery10 said:
the Young Indy Chronicles were a completely different character approach, and you saw Young Indy when he wasn't looking for artifacts, or fighting Nazis, no, he was growing up in an almost perfect world until his mother died and then found out what life really is about. Those are the events that made Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones and that's why the bookends were so perfect. We found out what the Older and wiser Indy thought about the events he took part in and if he's still proud or ashamed, of the things he did. It gave every single episode depth, and that's why in my opinion, 90 minute films of Young Indy without an older Indy just don't work.

While I am so far happy with the structure of things on the dvds, the point you make here is very valid and makes me interested in seeing the original versions. Having an adult look back on his childhood and either own up to or disown his actions is a very telling look into his development as a human being.

It is clunky seeing two episodes lumped together this way, but since I don't have a strong attachment to or memory of the original airings, I am still happy to view them this way.

It all makes me wonder why Lucas chose to re-cut them. But if they were getting some play as recently as early this year on TV, maybe that's the answer: perhaps more interest was shown in broadcasting them if they fit into the standard two-hour made-for-TV format?

Crack that whip

I do know the episodes were always conceived as being part of one huge timeline that could be fit together into chronological order, to show how the character grows and evolves over the course of his life; I think the main issue is simply that it was cancelled before all the material Lucas hoped to do could be shot. I think that had it lasted longer, there'd be more episodes that would fill in the gaps between ones that were produced, and some of the pairings for the movies would be different - episodes would be joined that were always supposed to be closer together than some of the joined episodes we got. I imagine some of the "movies" that were made paired episodes not because they were originally intended to go together but because the episodes they would ideally have been paired with weren't made.

As I understand it, the reason for dropping the bookends is that a lot of viewers of the original show just didn't care for them, either because they didn't like the idea of an old Indy in contemporary times in general, or because they didn't like George Hall's portrayal, or both. I personally think the added context the bookends provide is so valuable that it's worth having the bookends even if one doesn't like them in and of themselves, but then I do also in fact like the bookends, which might slant my judgment a bit. At any rate, I do remember seeing an interview with Rick McCallum back in the day in which he talks about the then-new Harrison Ford alternate bookends for "Mystery of the Blues," and says something to the effect of them having wanted to do something different with the bookends because (this probably isn't an exact quote, but it's as close as I can come from memory - I haven't read the interview in about a decade and a half, after all) "we realized the Old Indy segments were not working." :( Oh, well.