The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Whipper

Indy Smith said:
I found these bookens by Youtubing George hall. So then I find this thread. I got goosebumps on the last one where he's talking about Gathering pebbles. I remember that speech a lot and the Albert Schwiezer episode was one of my favourite episodes and not because it was filled with action, but i think because of the moral and sentimental value.
And a large part of it is in the bookends tying a big encompassing bow on it all. I love how "Mike" ends up volunteering his blood. It was good to see one of Old Indy's stories make an important difference in the present. Also, hearing that the little boy grew up to be the father of his country...that's an enormous little detail to lose.

And quoting that Schweitzer speech and letting us know that he went back to Africa and began again.

Heheh, And the last exchange with Mike:

Mike: "I hate needles. I'm sorry I ever met you."
Indy: "I have that affect on people." :)

Fun.

I want the Chronicles back, dammit... I dig the Chronicle format so much more. German East Africa, December 1916. Congo, January 1917. That's how I remember these episodes.

Beyond losing that, I also dislike some of the re-edits that went on beyond the bookends, in this same two-parter. Like in the opening battle in German East African, the original slo-mo shot of Indy reviving and jumping up to lead the charge was changed for no particular reason I can see.

I also really missed the original actor voices of Major Boucher and Sgt. Barthelmy. Boucher, especially. The new guy just lacks the intensity in the key scenes and that makes 'em just a tad flat.

(Which isn't too surprising, considering how different it must be for an actor to be standing in a studio at a microphone, compared to being outside, in the scene, in costume, all worked up and frothing at the mouth.)

Back in the day, the original performance sent chills thru me, when Boucher's got 'em all lined up and they're refusing to leave without the child:

"Do you think you can Test me?? Do you think I can't shoot All of you?? By God, I will! I'll shoot Every last man! Starting with You!" Okaaayy, time for Indy to step in...!

Adamwankenobi

One thing I always found strange about the bookends is that a lot of times, the credits would zoom by, with each lasting about a second, and sometimes half a second! You can barely read the title before it fades to another credit, etc. One of the few positive aspects of the re-edits is that they give each credit at least two seconds on screen.

Another plus of the re-edits is the fading from color to black and white at the end. I guess it compensates (HA!) for the removal of the bookends, in that it gives you the feeling that this has all already happened.

Whipper said:
I want the Chronicles back, dammit... I dig the Chronicle format so much more. German East Africa, December 1916. Congo, January 1917. That's how I remember these episodes.

I second that. :hat: Us Young Indy fans and the Star Wars original trilogy fans should storm the gates of Skywalker Ranch, South Park style. :p

davros72

Flannery10 said:
How many bookends are you gonna include in Part 4, Stoo? Already looking forward to them.
As for Shia, I think he meant Freaks and Geeks and not Young Indy.
Thanks, Flannery10, that is indeed what I meant. Just haven't been able to post in a bit.

Stoo

Jeremiah Jones said:
I too cannot wait for part 4, how many parts will we get in total?
Don't know. I'm making it up as I go. Ha ha. No, seriously, there will be about 12-14 parts.
We're not even half-way there!
Matinee Idyll said:
Indy beating up the punk donut kid? Great stuff. What was the Austria bookend? Ahh yes, the mailbox.
Correct-a-mundo on both counts! Unfortunately, the TV signal got screwy during Austria
so I'm missing about 5-10 seconds of the fade-in to the story.:(

P.S. Whipper, you are so right about the "Do you think you can test me?" scene.
I cannot watch the re-dubbed version.

Matinee Idyll

Stoo said:
P.S. Whipper, you are so right about the "Do you think you can test me?" scene.
I cannot watch the re-dubbed version.

Could you up the original scene to youtube for me mate? I haven't seen it in years... Or, if you have the inclination, could you do a before and after comparison with both videos?

I have to ask, with regard redubbing Barthelmey and Bouttcher - WHY!?!

Stoo

Part 4

Old Indy Goes to Jail!

While puttering around New Jersey, old Professor Jones gets hungry.
He makes a stop at Bessie?s Burgers before continuing on to dish out
his life experiences on the younger generation. Still hungry, he pops
into Donut Delite but for a treat but, this time, his outburst goes a
little too far and he ends up behind bars.

The best of the "Chronicles" bookends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQRbrFHu55E

metalinvader

Haha,I love it.Really takes me back.I love how Indy hits on the mail lady after his story,Proves he he hadn't lost any of his moves,Even in old age!

Great, I guess you're gonna pick a Young Indy avatar, eh?

Ha! Yeah, probably, though I dunno... I go in and out of being excited about the next box set, and then instead, about all this Indy 4 Fantasmagoria...(y)

Part 4 is definetly the best part yet though, poor Indy, wonder what happened to him? I mean, he's hardly still going in that Parallell fictional Indyverse, I mean he'd be 108. And he seems far too doddery to go out in a blaze of Glory.

Does anyone else think, 'if only they knew' about those fellow prisoners, I mean we're talking about Indiana Jones here, its sorta tragic that they hiss him outta the cell. In his prime he woulda shown them a thing or two..

Flannery10

Stoo said:
The best of the "Chronicles" bookends.

Well, Stoo, once again you made me happy, just by posting bookends. Great job, man and keep em coming.

Too bad your signal got screwd up and those 5 seconds are missing, but hey you're putting them up and I'm certainly quiet happy to finally see them after all. In my opinion those bookends are quiet funny, and pretty well made, but not the best. I loved the German East Africa and Congo ones and they are my favorite so far.

Indy Smith

In case nobody looked at the link I posted:

HFB019_John_Ford_600.jpg

Flannery10

It is not a secret, Lucas modeled Old Indy after John Ford, who also appears in Hollywood Follies, but I didn't know the two looked that similar. Great pic, Indy Smith.

Indy Smith

Flannery10 said:
It is not a secret, Lucas modeled Old Indy after John Ford, who also appears in Hollywood Follies, but I didn't know the two looked that similar. Great pic, Indy Smith.

I hadn't heard that he modelled him after John Ford. Well I guess it couldn't be coincidence :p

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy Smith said:
When I sent the Old Indiana Jones Chronicles videos to my friend who does not watch the series he sent me back this link:

http://www.kinokunst.de/FBooks_d/HFB/HFB019_John_Ford_600.jpg

I also learned that a scene from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, The Young Indy Scene was shot at Monumnet Valley at John Ford Point. A location he used for his westerns.

That was the intent, but they ended up being at Arches National Park instead. If they'd have been in Monument Valley, you could tell.

Stoo

Matinee Idyll said:
Could you up the original scene to youtube for me mate? I haven't seen it in years... Or, if you have the inclination, could you do a before and after comparison with both videos?

I have to ask, with regard redubbing Barthelmey and Bouttcher - WHY!?!
Yeah, I would love to do that but don't think I'll have the time. My plan was to upload
all the bookends (and a bunch of other stuff) before Indy 4 but it doesn't look like it's
going to happen.:(

As for the re-dubs? Let's take it over to the "Scenes Cut from VHS/DVDs" thread.
On top of the new voices, there are a lot of differences and deleted shots.

metalinvader said:
Haha,I love it.Really takes me back.I love how Indy hits on the mail lady after his story,Proves he he hadn't lost any of his moves,Even in old age!
Too right! I thought that was a great touch and she digs it, too.
Jeremiah Jones said:
Part 4 is definetly the best part yet though, poor Indy, wonder what happened to him? I mean, he's hardly still going in that Parallell fictional Indyverse, I mean he'd be 108. And he seems far too doddery to go out in a blaze of Glory.
Did you mean this one?

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=283409#post283409

This was a joke post where I used the bookends as the basis for his fate.
(Imagine if that were the case, though. H.Ford couldn't emulate Indy's real
accent which created a jarring difference between the film trilogy and the
bookends. Now, there's a backwards way of looking at things!):eek:

Jeremiah Jones said:
Does anyone else think, 'if only they knew' about those fellow prisoners, I mean we're talking about Indiana Jones here, its sorta tragic that they hiss him outta the cell. In his prime he woulda shown them a thing or two..
This is precisely why I like the bookends now. It's the irony! I think it's interesting
to see him become an old, babbling fool since it creates a mystique around his past.
He did great things but now...
Flannery10 said:
I loved the German East Africa and Congo ones and they are my favorite so far.
Then, my friend, you are going to loooooooove the "Petrograd" ones...
"Ireland" has some touching narration in the closer, too!
Indy Smith said:
In case nobody looked at the link I posted:
I did and thanks for the photo.