Soundtracks?

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Actually, for a near-complete rundown of CDs with Young Indy music, one should just check the listing for the series on that site here you go. There are a few CDs listed there I was previously unaware of; I'm really curious to know about both the Korean (!) CD The Best Of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (does anyone have a tracklist for this? It's from Varèse Sarabande, so I assume it has tracks from the four volumes, but I don't know)
I don't have the CD but here's the track listing (which, I believe, is all previously released material):

The Best of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
----
01. Main Title (Album Version) (2:08)
02. Indy And The Princess (6:10)
03. Meto (3:05)
04. An American Thanksgiving - A Chinese Adventure (5:56)
05. My Handy Man (3:02)
06. Welcome To Ireland (5:12)
07. Visiting Remy (4:10)
08. Requiem (3:26)
09. Lover's Farewell (2:05)
10. Oxford (0:24)
11. Celtic Love (2:55)
12. Desert Storm (4:15)
13. Albert Schweitzer, Prisoner Of War (2:25)
14. Lead For Breakfast (4:39)
15. I'm A Little Blackbird (3:21)
16. The Bridal Gown (1:49)
17. Arrividerci Indy (3:39)
18. A Poem For Indy (1:51)
19. Swanee (1:38)
20. Blue Horizon (3:00)
21. Welcome to Africa (1:04)
22. The Wrong Way Train (2:05)
23. Main Title (Alternate Version) (0:38)
----
Total running time (69:11)
Crack that whip said:
and the "Young Indy Satellite 1" maxi-single, which appears to be a set of dance remixes of the theme (!!!):
That is crazy about the dance mix!:D This is first piece of merchandise I've ever seen that is actually labelled "Young Indy" instead of using the official title.
Thanks for the other link with that comprehensive list of all the CDs.:hat:

Trennas

Psst!

If anyone is still looking for the Young Indy soundtracks: I actually have all four of them, BUT they are not exactly legal, if you catch my drift :eek: I can most likely upload them, if there are enough people to actually want them :)

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
I don't have the CD but here's the track listing (which, I believe, is all previously released material):

The Best of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
----
01. Main Title (Album Version) (2:08)
02. Indy And The Princess (6:10)
03. Meto (3:05)
04. An American Thanksgiving - A Chinese Adventure (5:56)
05. My Handy Man (3:02)
06. Welcome To Ireland (5:12)
07. Visiting Remy (4:10)
08. Requiem (3:26)
09. Lover's Farewell (2:05)
10. Oxford (0:24)
11. Celtic Love (2:55)
12. Desert Storm (4:15)
13. Albert Schweitzer, Prisoner Of War (2:25)
14. Lead For Breakfast (4:39)
15. I'm A Little Blackbird (3:21)
16. The Bridal Gown (1:49)
17. Arrividerci Indy (3:39)
18. A Poem For Indy (1:51)
19. Swanee (1:38)
20. Blue Horizon (3:00)
21. Welcome to Africa (1:04)
22. The Wrong Way Train (2:05)
23. Main Title (Alternate Version) (0:38)
----
Total running time (69:11)
That is crazy about the dance mix!:D This is first piece of merchandise I've ever seen that is actually labelled "Young Indy" instead of using the official title.
Thanks for the other link with that comprehensive list of all the CDs.:hat:

And thanks right back at you for that track listing. :hat: That does indeed appear to be entirely stuff already available on the four main volumes (which stands to reason, given the "Best of" title).

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
The other three tracks are all of music available on CD only here, though, and present sweet if brief selections from: the "Russia" portion of Young Indiana Jones: Travels With Father; "Prague, August 1917" (or Espionage Escapades; and Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies. None of these episodes are represented at all on any of the commercial releases, so having even the single cues from them here is wonderful, if one's into the show and its music, as I am.
Boy, do I feel like a doofus today? I was going to ask a question about some rare tracks and discovered that I HAVE the ones from "Music For Television"!:eek:

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (02:07)
Ireland 1916: The Fight In The Bakery/The Voice Of Ireland (03:10)
Peking 1910: The Long Night Of Dr. Wen-Chu (07:08)
Prague 1917: The Amazing Flight Of The Filing Cabinet (02:16)
Travels With Father: Tolstoy Among The People (03:06)
The Hollywood Follies: Broadway To Hollywood (02:22)

Anyway, back to my original question. What is the source of these "Peacock's Eye" tracks? fommes, would you know?:confused:
(The alternate, main theme is interesting since it was never, ever used.)

Main Title (Alternate Version) (00:42)
Faraway (0:32)
Finding the Treasure (Part 1) (00:30)
Finding the Treasure (Part 2) (00:33)
The Letter (00:40)

fommes

Yup, I even think you got those from me :)

The Peacock tracks come from the composer's Steve Bramson's website:
http://www.stevebramson.com/
They're just excerpts unfortunately, in low bitrate.

But where's that alternate main title from?
Is that from the Volume 2 CD, or is it something else?

InexorableTash

FYI, here is an excerpt of the liner notes from Music for Television:

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

George Lucas?s television series deals with Indy?s boyhood, at the ages of 10 and 18, or thereabout. His father?s world-wide lecture tour affords the boy the opportunity to travel everywhere with his parents, encountering along the way many of the most famous figures in early 20th-century history, artists, philosophers, statesmen, men of action. Each episode has its own theme, its own concept. And though full of adventure, the stories focus rather on the coming-of-age of a young man and thus may also move into a thoughtful or lyrical mode, or a decidedly comic one. Included here is a small sampling from the many episodes.

19. YOUNG INDY. His theme of youthful adventure

IRELAND 1916 (The Irish Revolution)

20. The Fight in the Bakery / The Voice of Ireland. A nasty fist-fight (to an Irish jig) turns humorous and good-natured. However, Ireland is in a revolt. The emotions of the revolution are reflected in a old folk tune, associated in the film with playwright Sean O?Casey.

PEKING 1910 (Eastern vs. Western Medicine)

21. The Long Night of Dr. Wen-Chu. Indy, 10 years old, is near death of typhoid in a remote, poverty-stricken Chinese farmhouse. Against the fearful protestations of Indy?s mother, the extraordinary Chinese doctor has treated the boy with acupuncture, then quite unknown in the West. The all-night vigil now begins, with fears, hopes, and the prayers of the poor Chinese family.

PRAGUE 1917 (The Madness of Bureaucracy)

22. The Amazing Flight of the Filing Cabinet. Indy?s maniacal descent, down the staircase of a Czech government building, riding a runaway filing cabinet. In this satiric episode, his sympathetic fellow passenger on the hair-raising tip is Franz Kafka.

TRAVELS WITH FATHER (Philosophical Adventures in Russia and Greece)

23. Tolstoy among the People. Indy has been on the road with Tolstoy, tramping across the Russian countryside with the great writer, now an old man and living, by his own choice, the life of a wandering mendicant. Arriving at a Russian village, Tolstoy is greeted jubilantly by the peasants, who regard him as their patron saint.

THE HOLLYWOOD FOLLIES (Fabled Days of the Silent Film)

24. Broadway to Hollywood. Indy leaves Gershwin?s Great White Way on a transcontinental luxury train for an ill-fated venture in the sunny, never-never land of palm trees and white convertibles, where he blunders into one of Tinseltown?s incredibly glamorous movie studios.

Stoo

fommes said:
Yup, I even think you got those from me :)
Indeed, I did but wasn't sure if you wanted me to publicly acknowledge that fact.;)
fommes said:
The Peacock tracks come from the composer's Steve Bramson's website:
http://www.stevebramson.com/
They're just excerpts unfortunately, in low bitrate.

But where's that alternate main title from?
Is that from the Volume 2 CD, or is it something else?
I don't know, I got it from you!:D Unfortunately, I don't have Volume 2 to compare but it is 4 secs. longer than that one.
Is the "ragtime" section of the Volume 2 track different from the original? (There is a thread around here someplace where
this was discussed before but I can't find it.) Thanks for the link to Steve Bramson website.:hat:

Inexorable Tash said:
FYI, here is an excerpt of the liner notes from Music for Television:
Thanks for posting that, Tash. Looks like the 2 people I thought would most appreciate the news about the "Music For Television" CD already have it!
On the DVD sets, the Interactive Timeline on the bonus discs has some music, too. Does anyone know if this is previously released stuff?

InexorableTash

FYI, I've ordered a used copy of the "Young Indy - Satellite 1" CD from the UK. I'll share the juicy details if and when it arrives.

indyclone25

awesome stuff - i would love to get a hold of that music ? i have all four of the young indy soundtracks ---

InexorableTash

I tracked down one more track source: http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=7538

Best Of The West
Edel EDL 26572
Disc 1, Track 15
YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES: MEXICO 1916 (Pancho Villa's Camp) (03:23)
Laurence Rosenthal

I believe this is what the reference on this page is trying to refer to: http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Young_Indiana_Jones_media
(I wasn't able to find that anywhere on teh interwebs, but "Laurence Rosenthal" + "Mexico 1916" FTW)

I'm not seeing that 15-year old German 2-CD release of music from Western movies on ebay.co.uk or amazon.co.uk - surprise! - anyone else have better luck? Be warned - "Best of the West" has been used for other CD releases.

Crack that whip

Yowza! :eek: Thanks for the tip! :D (y)

That's a new recording done for this compilation (or perhaps a previous one, and repurposed here) and not the original track recorded for the show, but it's great that it's available in any performance at all. I see that it's available from the iTunes Store, at least (with track titling in German), and perhaps from other download services.

Last edited:

InexorableTash

InexorableTash said:
FYI, I've ordered a used copy of the "Young Indy - Satellite 1" CD from the UK. I'll share the juicy details if and when it arrives.

I checked my mailbox at work as I was walking out the door and the Satellite 1 - Young Indy CD had arrived. I went back to my desk, ripped it, and plopped it on my mp3 player for the walk home.

O... M... F... G....

I spent the next 20 minutes walking the streets of San Francisco with a sh*t eating grin on my face, barely containing giggles, trying not to burst into laughter. (Not that anyone would notice and/or care - it is SF...)

Satellite 1 is a TV station in Germany - I'm going to speculate that the CD was released as a promotional item when they were airing Young Indy in 1993.

All four tracks are basically the same. The "Radio Edit" is the basic version - a techno dance version of Laurence Rosenthal's Young Indy theme with some "rap" vocals (lyrics below) and looped vocal samples overlayed. The "Dance Version" is just an extended... uh... dance mix. Saxy Edit replaces one of the synthed instruments with a synthed saxophone. The instrumental version just deletes the "rap" vocals but leaves the looped samples.

It's... hillarious. Delightful. Bat-sh*t insane. Terrible. Awesome. A sign that the Star Are Right and Great Cthulhu will soon appear. I can not stop grinning when listening to this.

PM me if you have any questions.

Listen...

We bring you the unbelievable chronicle
Of the one and only: Indiana Jones

Dance the Indy Beat!

Dance with me, what you waitin' for?
Move your body, scream for more
And see: Young Indy
In a race with the rhythm so start the hype

Dance groove, smooth atmosphere
Touch your soul, delight your ear
There's many many many ways
To get with the cool Young Indy craze

It's slamin', with the zone style
Hypnotic it moves and grooves around
It brings moves to your feet
Dance moves to the smooth Young Indy beat

Dance the Indy Beat!

This is all about stoppin' sadness
Cause gruntin' only brings madness
Grab yourself, open your eyes
Get wise to the exercise

Key to the rap hazard trap
Is your body and soul will adapt
To the speed, and special treat
Of what you feel - the Young Indy beat

I'll rip up the mike, tear it in two
Throw it down and pass it back to you
The funky rhymes I'm showin'
Feel the hot dance with my Doctor Jones

Dance the Indy Beat!

We all know what he's been through
And the things that he had to do
So relate 'cause fate makes him great
And his courage is never second rate

Always ready for a scary surprise
And soon everyone will realize
He's in a world of his own
No-one can hang with Indiana Jones

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
I checked my mailbox at work as I was walking out the door and the Satellite 1 - Young Indy CD had arrived. I went back to my desk, ripped it, and plopped it on my mp3 player for the walk home.

O... M... F... G....

I spent the next 20 minutes walking the streets of San Francisco with a sh*t eating grin on my face, barely containing giggles, trying not to burst into laughter. (Not that anyone would notice and/or care - it is SF...)
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D :D :eek: InexorableTash, thanks for your HYSTERICAL post!!! Not only for transcribing the lyrics but your gut-bustingly, funny review!:D
You have me in stiches right now! (I can imagine you on the street 'cause I was in SF recently and can create a pretty vivid picture of your Satellite 1 experience.)
InexorableTash said:
Satellite 1 is a TV station in Germany - I'm going to speculate that the CD was released as a promotional item when they were airing Young Indy in 1993.
Judging by the photos on the CD cover, it looks like maybe early/mid '92. They are all "Curse of the Jackal" images.
InexorableTash said:
It's... hillarious. Delightful. Bat-sh*t insane. Terrible. Awesome. A sign that the Star Are Right and Great Cthulhu will soon appear.
It must have been delivered unto this earth by the Saucermen from Mars.:eek: Again, thanks for posting the lyrics & details.
My favourite belly-achers are:

"This is all about stoppin' sadness
Cause gruntin' only brings madness
Grab yourself, open your eyes
Get wise to the exercise

Key to the rap hazard trap
Is your body and soul will adapt
To the speed, and special treat
Of what you feel - the Young Indy beat

I'll rip up the mike, tear it in two
Throw it down and pass it back to you
The funky rhymes I'm showin'
Feel the hot dance with my Doctor Jones":eek:

phantom train

I've got two of the four YIJC soundtracks, but at one time had them all. They're some of the best TV/movie-related soundtracks I've ever heard - very comprehensive and expertly put together. Not only do they remind you of the show, but they also give an excellent picture of 19th century/early
20th century music, both classical and popular.

Here's hoping they will re-release/re-master all four YIJC soundtrack CD's in a boxed set (similar to the recent boxed set of the soundtracks to all four IJ films). If such a boxed set were to come out, it would be great if it were to include a fifth CD with all sorts of extra tracks (again, similar to the boxed set of the recent soundtracks for the IJ films).

I'd also like to see more YIJC soundtrack albums released, since the four CD's out there are just scratching the surface of the music that was composed for the shows.

Last edited:
A Young Indy rap??!! Wowsers.. gotta get a hold of that..
Young Indy naysayers take note:

Theres many many many ways
to get with the cool young Indy craze

So It must be good...

Man I just wish they made a music video, like the one for the friends theme song... Sean, Corey, Remy, Ford, speilburg and Lucas dancing to the hip young funky indy groove

InexorableTash and Stoo, thank ye so so much for the crazy pleasure of Satallite one... Its still on in the backround. The craziest rap thing I've ever heard. Listening to the Saxy beat right now, which is pretty similar to other one really.

fommes

Wow, I'm just listening to this for the first time - what a (cultural) shock! Thanks for this - this is just unbelievable.

Stoo

Hey, Jeremiah and fommes, isn't it just INSANE?!:D Got to make a video for this one day. "Dance moves to the smooth Young Indy beat!":eek:

Just realized there is an untapped resource for some more Young Indy tracks!(y) The 3 games included on the DVDs have music throughout and also during the game credits. Tash, do you feel up to doing some more extracts?

InexorableTash

Huh, didn't think of those.

It doesn't take any mad skillz to get the tracks, though - the installer on the DVDs is in the "common" directory, and (assuming you have a Windows box) you just install the EXE and look in C:\Program Files\Young Indy Adventures\Revolution\Audio (for example). They're just MP3s.

Okay, here's my (novice analysis) - I'd break the Revolutions track down into four groups:

Stock Music - anything that sounds too "clean" - recorded entirely on sync, probably from a stock music source or MIDI conversions. Not necessarily, bad, but almost certainly not used in the series:

* travel.mp3 - sounds like a medley of stock adventure music
* shooting_gallery.mp3
* ending_music.mp3
* train_switch.mp3
* choose_path.mp3
* bomb_game.mp3
* store_house.mp3
* guerrero.mp3
* border_town.mp3
* saloon.mp3/franks_house.mp3/card_mini_game.mp3/cafe_.mp3/BlackJack.mp3
* general_store.mp3

From Barcelona 1916 on OST#1

* Store.mp3 - "The Dressing Room"
* Gambling.mp3/Epilogue.mp3
* Ponchos_camp.mp3
* extra4.mp3
* BorderTown.mp3

From John Williams:

* opening_theme.mp3 is the closing credits to Temple of Doom

Tracks I can't place:

* Extra3.mp3 - sounds like something from Phantom Train, honestly; this is definitely my favorite track of the lot. McNeely?
* AudioTrack 1 (encounters.mp3) - could be stock but it doesn't have that "clean" sound
* AudioTrack 05 (hearst_hacienda.mp3) - sounds Rosenthalish
* extra2.mp3
* Combat.mp3
* panchos_camp.mp3
* Extra.mp3
* Map1.mp3 - definitely from Barcelona 1916 but *****NOT on the OST*****
* Store2.mp3/Cafe.mp3 - may be stock music, but worth checking

Stoo, I'd put your focus on those.

I'll tackle the rest tomorrow.