Soundtracks?

InexorableTash

huh, well, the next two games disappoint on the audio front:

* Both have the Temple of Doom credits as the opening_theme.mp3
* Both have a ton of numeric files which are spoken snippets from the game
* Both have only *one* (!) other audio track

Special Delivery's bgmusic1.mp3 sounds like it's from Congo 1917; which makes sense (there's a trill which sounds like part of "Schweitzer Says Goodbye" from OST#2).

Hunting For Treasure's bgmusic2.mp3 is indistinct. It's almost certainly original music, presumably from the show, but it's very quiet and I can't place it. There's two parts - "native drumbing" and "wistful", which I suppose could easily be from TOTPE, given how little of that music is published.

Bummer, I was hoping for more.

InexorableTash

Um, cancel that... it's possible to extract audio from the SWFs and there's some newish sounding stuff in there, albeit lower quality.

InexorableTash

NOTE: To extract MP3s from SWF, I recommend "Fortop SWF Resource Extract".

Here are the bits that I'm 80% certain are from YIJC:

Revolution:
Combat.mp3 from Revolution is almost certainly from Trenches of Hell. 1:50 at
Extra.mp3 (0:23@128kbps), extra2.mp3 (2:12@128kbps), extra3.mp3 (3:40@128kbps) - no idea what these are from, but they're good!

Special Delivery:
belgiumcamp-3.swf contains 1:58@16kbps (bleah) from "Attack of the Hawkmen" (matches the final credits)
Combat_005.swf (2:55@16kbps) and Combat_047.swf (2:36@16kbps) contain something from YIJC I just can't place. There's a musical trill that's distinctive, but I'm not finding a match. Also "Attack of the Hawkmen" perhaps?
IndyCredits.swf - (2:15@112kbps) - can't place it, but probably from YIJC
frenchport.swf (1:48@16kbps) - can't place it, but probably from YIJC
mainvillage.swf (1:35@16kbps and 1:39@16kbps) - possibly Attack of the Hawkmen as well.
Map1.mp3 (1:19@128kbps) - alternate recording of the music from "The Contessa" Barcelona 1917; I don't know if that's original to YIJC or not tho.

Hunting for Treasure:
IndyCredits.swf - (2:28@128kps) - awesome segment, same music trill as above ("Hawkmen" ?)
026_blackjack.swf (1:37@16kbps) - sounds like TOTPE, but I can't swear to it
040_BarScene.swf (3:01@16kbps) - as above... definitely YIJC, but TOTPE?
062_OnShip_rotating.swf (3:51@16kps) - as above; great action music!
097_hieroglyphics.swf (2:39@128kbps) - mellow, very nice. TOTPE?

C'mon, Stoo, help me out here! Fommes? Anyone?

Stoo

Good going, Tash. Unfortunatley, I'm having some major computer trouble (typing this from my girlfriend's lapttop) so I'll be out of it for awhile.:(

InexorableTash

Hunting For Treasure / 097_hieroglyphics.swf (2:39@128kbps) - confirmed from TOTPE - it's a longer segment that contains the 30 second sample of "The Letter" from Steve Bramson's web site.

Hunting For Treasure / 040_BarScene.swf (3:01@16kbps) - confirmed from TOTPE - it's a longer segment that contains the 30 second sample of "Faraway" from Steve Bramson's web site.

InexorableTash

Hunting for Treasure - IndyCredits.swf - (2:28@128kps) - confirmed, I dub it "Dogfight with the Red Baron" from Attack of the Hawkmen (35 minutes into the DVD)

Special Delivery - Combat_005.swf (2:55@16kbps) - same bits of Attack of the Hawkmen as LC_ESCAPE_D_ACT from the LEGO Indy soundtrack; longer (less cut up) but lower quality. I dub it "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape"

Special Delivery - Combat_047.swf (2:36@16kbps) - Attack of the Hawkmen (47 minutes into the DVD) - end of the first half. It could be either "Any landing you can walk away from" or "More Ghosts" but i think I'll dub it "Out Of Danger" since it ends on a happy note.

Last edited:

fommes

Wow, splendid work! Thanks very much for all the trouble. I look forward to looking into this as well, but I'm afraid I just got too much work in May - hopefully in June I'll have some time left...

A small question about that opening_theme: I suppose that's music from the TOD soundtrack, and not the 20-second segment that we're missing? (I guess we're not that lucky...)

All this Young Indy music will also be rather hard to compile. There seems to be much more 'source'-oriented music that we'll have a hard time tracking, and I myself am not familiar enough with the series to recognize the source music - especially seeing as how it's all rather alike... I'm really hoping there's an official expanded soundtrack box release soon, although my hopes aren't high I must say. Still, it's a project worth pursuing and I look forward to working on it a bit more intensively.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Special Delivery - Combat_005.swf (2:55@16kbps) - same bits of Attack of the Hawkmen as LC_ESCAPE_D_ACT from the LEGO Indy soundtrack; longer (less cut up) but lower quality. I dub it "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape"
This is one of my favourite pieces from the entire series. It just screams Indy action! Anyway, excellent work, Tash. Here are my notes for "Revolution":

Combat.mp3
Definitely from YIJC but I watched parts of "Trenches of Hell" yesterday and couldn't find it. Needs more investigation...
AudioTrack 1.mp3/encounters.mp3
This is the Overture from ?Lawrence of Arabia? by Maurice Jarre!:eek:
Extra.mp3 (0:23@128kbps)
Sounds like something from Barcelona 1917
extra2.mp3 (2:12@128kbps)
I recognize this from the series but can't place it! Really bugging me.
Extra3.mp3 (3:40@128kbps)
I recognize this from the series but can't place it! You think "Phantom Train", eh? Hmmm...this one is bugging me.
extra4.mp3
Barcelona 1917. Opening ?Old Indy? bookend & narration. Followed immediately by ?Store2/Cafe?.
Gambling.mp3/Epilogue.mp3
From Barcelona 1917 on OST#1 (Re: Tash)
AudioTrack 05.mp3/hearst_hacienda.mp3
Another track from ?Lawrence of Arabia? by Maurice Jarre!:eek:
Map1.mp3
Barcelona 1917. Longer edit of closing credits
panchos_camp.mp3
99.99% certain this is NOT from the series
Ponchos_camp.mp3
Store.mp3
"The Dressing Room" From Barcelona 1917 on OST#1 (Re: Tash)
Store2.mp3/Cafe.mp3
Barcelona 1917. This is the RAW track of the guitar that accompanies the dancing senorita in the bistro at the start of the episode but much longer! This is F%#&ING AWESOME! I have to learn this on guitar... (immediately follows extra4.mp3)
trainswitch5-1.mp3
Must be Barcelona. Same notes & same instrumentation.
BorderTown.mp3

fommes said:
All this Young Indy music will also be rather hard to compile.
We may need another spreadsheet like the LEGO one. List by episode and fill in the blanks...

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Combat.mp3
Definitely from YIJC but I watched parts of "Trenches of Hell" yesterday and couldn't find it. Needs more investigation...

I base my claim on a distinctive theme it shares present in the Trenches of Hell credit music from the DVD. Similarly, "belgiumcamp-3.swf" has music from the Hawkmen DVD credits that isn't in the episode itself. (FWIW, I'm calling that track "Into the Sunset").

Stoo said:
Extra3.mp3 (3:40@128kbps)
I recognize this from the series but can't place it! You think "Phantom Train", eh? Hmmm...this one is bugging me.

I wouldn't place money on Phantom Train. It just sounds like there are pesky Germans sneaking around. Perhaps second half of Hawkmen?

Excellent work on the rest, Stoo! I wish I had an ear for music - I can listen two tracks in a row that bear distinctive themes and still not be sure if they were the same. :p

Stoo said:
We may need another spreadsheet like the LEGO one. List by episode and fill in the blanks...

Heh, they're cheap:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=rQGOfeCiIk2g5kn74Y8lyWg

(That's not quite what was being asked for. What we really need is a complete track list for the entire series and list sources for each track. Um, but that terrifies me.)

In any case, I'm ecstatic, though, that we effectively have 10 minutes of music from each of Hawkmen and Peacock's Eye, including some high quality stuff!

InexorableTash

InexorableTash said:
"belgiumcamp-3.swf" has music from the Hawkmen DVD credits that isn't in the episode itself. (FWIW, I'm calling that track "Into the Sunset").

I lied, it's in the episode at 13:40 or so, w00t! I dub it ("Photographic Session") One more nailed down.

InexorableTash

I did a pass through TOTPE last night and found source times for several of the tracks, including the samples from Bramson's web site. Alas, my main network is glitchy so some edits are stuck in-flight to Google Docs. Will try and fix it tonight. Two tracks are definitely from the TOTPE score but not in the episode - possible credits? Did it air as a two-parter anywhere Stoo?

Stoo

Before, I forget again, Tash, I love the names for track titles you're coming up with. Nice touch!(y)

InexorableTash re: Combat from "Revolution" said:
I base my claim on a distinctive theme it shares present in the Trenches of Hell credit music from the DVD.
I only scanned "Trenches" quickly and so must have missed it. There are some similar parts but I'm wondering if this could be a mixed track like some of the LEGO ones? Have to check this out again.

re: Extra3 from "Revolution" said:
I wouldn't place money on Phantom Train. It just sounds like there are pesky Germans sneaking around. Perhaps second half of Hawkmen?
Me neither. I know "Phantom Train" very well and don't recoginze it from there.

Excellent work on the rest, Stoo! I wish I had an ear for music - I can listen two tracks in a row that bear distinctive themes and still not be sure if they were the same. :p
You're not doing badly at all, Tash! The LEGO tracks were/are hard to go through because of the sheer amount of stuff and similarities. It basically becomes a process of elimination but without your groundwork it would've been an overwhelming task. Another tricky thing in identifying the source is that some pieces are used in more than 1 episode. Like fommes (I think?) suggested in the LEGO soundtrack thread, the key is locating the themes in the earliest (aired) episodes.

(That's not quite what was being asked for. What we really need is a complete track list for the entire series and list sources for each track. Um, but that terrifies me.)

In any case, I'm ecstatic, though, that we effectively have 10 minutes of music from each of Hawkmen and Peacock's Eye, including some high quality stuff!
I agree. "Hawkmen" has some of my favourite music so unearthing all this stuff is a treasure hunt in it's truest form. Thanks for making the spreadsheet but I see you've categorized it by track duration (rather than by title) making it a tad difficult to go through. I can always rearrange the info in my own files but it does give a clean picture. (The reason I suggested listing by epsiode is that it will be easy to see which episodes have a little or no music available.) I'll go through "Special Delivery" next.:hat:

Two tracks are definitely from the TOTPE score but not in the episode - possible credits? Did it air as a two-parter anywhere Stoo?
Wow. No, since it was one of the Family Channel movies that came after the regular season was cancelled, it was not shown as a 2-part. Very interesting about the your discovery...

When I get my new system up to full-speed, remind me to make an .mp3 of the original beginning of the "Travels With Father" bookends. It was dropped/replaced on the "Winds of Change" DVD, lost for all time but it is GREAT!:whip:

InexorableTash

Stoo: Feel free to re-sort the spreadsheet - I had it sorted by time when I copied/pasted from iTunes.

New findings:

Hunting For Treasure / 062_OnShip_rotating-1
This is from Peacock's Eye, "All We Need Is A Boat" @ 0:48:18

Revolutions / Extra3
Trenches of Hell, "Let's Bury Some Stiffs" @ 1:27:06

Revolutions / Combat
Trenches of Hell "Now's Our Chance" @ 0:46:55

Revolutions / extra2
Trenches of Hell "Painful Lessons" @ 1:15:32

Last edited:

InexorableTash

A few more:

Special Delivery / bgmusic1
Congo 1917/Oganga "My Name Is Albert" @ 0:54:47

Special Delivery / mainvillage-2
German East Africa 1916/Oganga "500 Miles Down River" @ 0:36:14

I suspect several of the remaining tracks are also from Oganga.

Also, I tracked down timestamps for some of the DVD credits:

Trenches of Hell - "Run!" @ 0:57:29
Hawkmen (Second Half) "Off to Paris" @ 0:32:03
Winds of Change "The Future Is Here" @ 1:22:54

Thorpe

Any music from Travels with Father? There's one track titled Travels With Father: Tolstoy Among The People - see here. I really want this.

Look at this scene on YouTube. You would really think this score should be released. Travels with Father got an award for music but yet no release?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXXMnR_XnI0

fommes

Wow, guys, this is great. You've identified most of it already! I wish I had more time right now and could be of more help...
I just took a quick listen to the remaining cues, and some of them should be pretty easy to identify when watching the episode. In frenchport2, that's the theme from the Africa episodes, no? And the opening theme of IndyCredits1 is also very familiar but I can't tell the episode right now. It's pretty late over here :)
But keep up the good work!

InexorableTash

fommes said:
In frenchport2, that's the theme from the Africa episodes, no?

The very start of frenchport2 is when Indy and Remy head into the French officer's office (0:46:14 on the DVD). But the rest doesn't match. Checking StooTV, it doesn't appear to be a DVD-specific edit. So possibly it was used in another episode - so far, all of the game tracks have been complete and uncut matches to the episodes.

I identified these as well:

Hunting For Treasure / bgmusic2
Congo 1917/Oganga "The Chief's Son Is Dying" 1:06:38

Special Delivery / belgiumcamp-1
Congo 1917/Oganga "Waving Goodbye" 1:14:24

... but the rest are eluding me for now.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
What we really need is a complete track list for the entire series and list sources for each track. Um, but that terrifies me.)
I started one and it's looooong. Excellent work on the indentifications, Tash (and you said you didn't have an ear for music)! I figured out another one (and another LEGO track):

Special Delivery/mainvillage-1
Congo 1917, Title Card & Opening Bookend (fades just as Old Indy’s “flashback” begins)

In Hunting for Treasure/062_OnShip_rotating-1, you can hear a voice at the end saying, "Very good"!

Thorpe said:
Are you just providing tracklistings then? So there is no material?
You can extract the tracks from the games that are on the DVDs.

InexorableTash

Excellent!

026_blackjack must be from "Oganga" as well since it shares similar musical themes - it's not the intro to German East Africa 1916 is it? I'll check when I get home...

Stoo, do you have an index page for your Old Indy episodes?