Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films

Stoo

Besides the missing bookends, overdubbing of certain characters? voices and various
differences in the musical score, there are indeed scenes cut from the VHSs & DVDs
So far, I've found 4 episodes where scenes were chopped. To start with:

"Princeton ? April 1916"

Due to the long bridging sequence in ?Spring Break Adventure? this episode
suffered the most. They only total about 3 ½ minutes but they were good
bits and are now gone?

- Indy & Nancy ride their bicycles up a road. She talks about her plans for their
lives together until Indy mentions his idea of leaving Princeton for Chicago.
They arrive at the train station and their bikes are loaded onto the baggage car
(en route to Edison?s factory).

- Nancy wants Indy to meet after class, skip work and go look for the submarine.
Immediately after Indy pounds his head on the classroom door in frustration,
the teacher walks up and gives Indy a very, disapproving look. While in class,
Nancy gets students to pass a note up to him. As he writes another note saying,
?Meet me after class?, the teacher catches Indy and tells him to meet ?ME?
after class! Nancy leaves school on her bike. Indy?s detention scene is brief
but perfect. When let go, he tears out and down the hall only to find Clifford
and another student by the bicycle rack. There is some dialogue between Indy
& Clifford about Nancy?s whereabouts and about Cliff taking over Indy?s shift
at the ice cream parlour, while Indy pedals away?

- A chunk of the car chase is missing! Indy & Nancy catch up to Thompson after
the ?shortcut? and end up driving on an road-side embankment slightly ahead
of him. They eventually get down onto the road right in front of the race car.
Thompson turns onto an unfinished/dead-end road which forces him to turn around.
(This is how, in ?Spring Break Adventure?, they end up driving towards each other.)

- During the final shots of the prom, Indy stops Nancy just before the entrance.
and says, ?I love you, Nancy Stratemeyer.? He then kisses her. She smiles.
They carry on?

Oh, the butchery!!

Adamwankenobi

The bridging segments of SBA are actually some of the few that I can stomach because they were actually (IMO) done well (or at least so that they're passable).

Flannery10

Stoo said:
A chunk of the car chase is missing! Indy & Nancy catch up to Thompson after the ?shortcut? and end up driving on an road-side embankment slightly ahead of him. They eventually get down onto the road right in front of the race car. Thompson turns onto an unfinished/dead-end road which forces him to turn around.
(This is how, in ?Spring Break Adventure?, they end up driving towards each other.)

I always wondered about that, but I'm not surprised to hear the episodes were changed beyond the bookends.

Actually the one minor change between videos and Dvds is in Daredevils of the desert, in my video version, when Daniel Craig is on that machine gun at the end shouting 'DIE YOU SVINE' and that horse sort falls over him, the actual fall of the horse was cut out, so what you got was a horse charging over, then it cut to Indy as you heard a falling sound effect, then cut back to seemingly dead horse with Craig running away. It always confused the heck out of me. Like Craig was some immovable object that killed the course that rammed him

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Just changed the thread title to avoid further confusion over the issue of whether there were changes between the VHS and DVD versions.

Adamwankenobi

Attila the Professor said:
Just changed the thread title to avoid further confusion over the issue of whether there were changes between the VHS and DVD versions.

Indiana1880 would have had a ball with the original thread title, lol.

metalinvader

Adamwankenobi said:
Indiana1880 would have had a ball with the original thread title, lol.

We'd never hear the end of it and this thread would turn into an Indiana1880 opinion based argument,That's for sure. lol :p

Last edited:

Matinee Idyll

A scene where Indy is reading a letter from Ned "This is a war that has to be fought..." was cut from Curse of the Jackal. It's probably for the best, sounds less like he's just Neds parrot when he's talking to Remy later.

Major West

Jeremiah Jones said:
Actually the one minor change between videos and Dvds is in Daredevils of the desert, in my video version, when Daniel Craig is on that machine gun at the end shouting 'DIE YOU SVINE' and that horse sort falls over him, the actual fall of the horse was cut out, so what you got was a horse charging over, then it cut to Indy as you heard a falling sound effect, then cut back to seemingly dead horse with Craig running away. It always confused the heck out of me. Like Craig was some immovable object that killed the course that rammed him

Sounds like a BBFC cut to me. They don't like cruelty to horses. It'll probably have the same cut on the UK DVD release.

Indy fan 235

I haven't bought the DVDs yet, but I see History Channel plays the episodes and I catch them sometimes when I am feeding my daughter her bottle.

Does anyone know if they cut out the bookends of the episode that Harrison Ford was in? I love how he looks with the beard in that episode.

Flannery10

Yeah, the bookends are included. There's a thread going on about that somewhere in the Young Indy section.

Since Stoo found a couple of changes in the Princeton episode, I'm curious to find out if there were really no changes made to the following movies: Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, Attack of the Hawkmen, Mystery of the Blues, Phantom Train of Doom and Hollywood Follies. Anyone know about those, cause I always thought they were never changed at all.

Whipper

A scene where Indy is reading a letter from Ned "This is a war that has to be fought..." was cut from Curse of the Jackal. It's probably for the best, sounds less like he's just Neds parrot when he's talking to Remy later.

I liked that. It's important. That's what it Should sound like, because he IS being influenced by Ned, he IS parroting and not thinking for himself, and it's funny to have this come back when Ned and Indy finally meet up again. (Ned doesn't even remember writing that line.) I don't think it should be downplayed. Indy enlisted in the great war to save civilization on a stupid impulse. He just didn't realize it at the time.

Flannery10

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12432

In this thread we recently talked about the removal of the Tea Plantation Scene in the British East Africa Episode and Stoo suggested to continue that discussion here. In my opinion, Lucas wanted to open up each of the 22 re-edted episodes with shots of the landscape that didn't involve the story to much and the opening with all the animals running around was certainly impressive. Some of the scenes just didn't work without George Hall's narration in them, so they were cut out, too. Shame, if you ask me!

Matinee Idyll

Whipper said:
I liked that. It's important. That's what it Should sound like, because he IS being influenced by Ned, he IS parroting and not thinking for himself, and it's funny to have this come back when Ned and Indy finally meet up again. (Ned doesn't even remember writing that line.) I don't think it should be downplayed. Indy enlisted in the great war to save civilization on a stupid impulse. He just didn't realize it at the time.

Well said, I quite agree.

Stoo

Flannery10 said:
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12432

In this thread we recently talked about the removal of the Tea Plantation Scene in the British East Africa Episode and Stoo suggested to continue that discussion here. In my opinion, Lucas wanted to open up each of the 22 re-edted episodes with shots of the landscape that didn't involve the story to much and the opening with all the animals running around was certainly impressive. Some of the scenes just didn't work without George Hall's narration in them, so they were cut out, too. Shame, if you ask me!
The thing is, apart from "Jackal", this is the only Carrier eipisode where the
narration carries on *deep* into the opening scenes. They could have added
another Carrier voice-over (like "Jackal") and saved this part.

The new beginning is very good with the boosted volume of the singing
(sounds like Ladysmith Black Mombazo to me) and the extended intro but
it's too bad the plantation scene was cut since the Oxford greeting is such
a nice tip o' the hat to the films.

P.S. It's *coffee* not *tea*.;)

Stoo

Whipper said:
Yes, I agree with this, too. (Indy also repeats the line to Sean Lemass in Ireland.)
I suppose that since the new, linking segment shows him reading/writing a letter
to Ned, it makes the original/cut scene a bit redundant. It's only 15 secs or so...
the scene would have been fine if it had been left untouched.

Flannery10

Stoo said:
The thing is, apart from "Jackal", this is the only Carrier eipisode where the
narration carries on *deep* into the opening scenes. They could have added
another Carrier voice-over (like "Jackal") and saved this part.

The new beginning is very good with the boosted volume of the singing
(sounds like Ladysmith Black Mombazo to me) and the extended intro but
it's too bad the plantation scene was cut since the Oxford greeting is such
a nice tip o' the hat to the films.

P.S. It's *coffee* not *tea*.;)

Thank good they did not include another Corey Carrier voice over, it really didn't sound too well in My First Adventure. He's a great actor, but his puberty voice really makes it ridicolous. But yeah, the coffee plantation scene is a big loss. Yeah, it is a coffee plantation but I ascociated the British people with Tea somehow. Sorry for that.