Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films

Stoo

Congo, January 1917 - Holy Grail of YIJC Cut Scenes!

There is a scene in "Congo, January 1917" that was FILMED but not shown on TV and was NOT included on the VHS/DVDs!:mad: The series of comic adaptations have a few extra bits'n'bobs and some alternate/extended bookends but there is proof that at least one of these scenes was actually shot. (Would any Europeans or Australians who still have their originals check to see if this is on their copies?)

Here's how it plays out in the comic, occurring between Remy's complaint to Indy about the jiggers in his toes and the part where their boat floats by Schweitzer's hospital camp (NOTE: "Salauds!" is French for "Bastards!"):

Oganga_Cut_Comic1.jpg

Oganga_Cut_Comic2.jpg

Here's the evidence that it was filmed...

From the Young Indy cards - ProSet #82.
"The crates of weapons and ammunition are secured on the boat. Remy, in a rage of madness, suddenly opens fire into the surrounding jungle. Indy is nearly unconscious at the helm."

Oganga_Cut_Card.jpg

...and from the series' preview commercial on ABC. Scared Indy firing off a couple of wild shots. Approx. 2 seconds of footage:

Congo_Cut_Teaser.jpg

I wonder why this was cut?:confused:

Matinee Idyll

It could be the potentially racist insinuation of the 'monkeys' laughing at us, after all, we are talking colonial Africa here. It could be pretty badly misinterpreted by a modern viewing audience.

Stoo

More From Cut Scene!

I found another image from this never-before-seen scene. Again, it's from the Pro-Set Young Indy cards, #83 which immediately follows #82 posted above.

The reason why I think it might have been cut is because we would've seen Indy scramble to wire the detonator box twice in a row. You can tell this is form the cut part because the handle is up whereas in front of Schwietzer's camp, it's down. Look at how closely the image resembles the panel in the comic. For comparison's sake:

Cut scene.

Oganga_Cut_Card2.jpg

In front of Schwietzer's camp.

Congo_Detonator.jpg

fommes

Interesting, I think you're right about that the reason why it was cut - it seems logical not having Indy do the same thing twice.

The image from the comic is indeed practically the same as the photo. What would be used for its adaptation then - a longer cut of the episode? Or the screenplay together with these publicity stills?

Stoo

Ireland, April 1916 / Love's Sweet Song - Part 1

Recently noticed this for the very 1st time. Look at all the things that were changed in this shot. (The compositors really did a brilliant job!(y))

TheatreComparison.jpg

- "Theatre Tivoli" changed to "Theatre Royal"
- "Theatre Royal" added to awning above door
- Top portion of building painted blue
- Building on right was replaced
- Car removed
- Street blocked off w/barrier & sidewalk
- Newspaper stand moved slightly farther back

Traces of the name change are on the DVD, because Maggie still says "Tivoli Theatre" and you can see the the name on the programs and playbills there (and at the pub). I'm guessing the changes were made to be more accurate (because something similar was done with "Travels With Father"). Any Dubliners out there know some history about this place?

P.S. To the mods: I'd like to post comparison shots of the differences in the Mata Hari episode but they contain NAKEDNESS & NUDITY!:eek: Could an exception be made here?:confused:

Typically these things are changed as not to owe royalties or licencing fees. This occurs with Saturday Night Live quite a bit. Satire and Live performance gives them the right, but don't extend to rebroadcast, syndication and/or sale for private viewing.

A timely catch, as the Adam Sandler/Chris Farley Schmidt's Gay Beer commercial originally featured Van Halen's Beautiful Girls, but was altered either willingly or at their behest as it appeared on the E network and the Best of DVDs with an SNL Band knock-off.

Curiously, prior to the Superbowl, NBC ran a Sports Sketch Greatest Hits Show which had Beautiful Girls back in place...

There is a Tivoli Theater in Dublin...

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Curiously, prior to the Superbowl, NBC ran a Sports Sketch Greatest Hits Show which had Beautiful Girls back in place...

There is a Tivoli Theater in Dublin...
I'm curious to know how long the Tivoli Theatre in Dublin has gone by that name? I don't think it's a royalty issue and can't see any other reason other than the TV shot was historically inaccurate. My guess is *someone* might have found a c.1916 photograh or picked out improper, period details after the show was produced. If the Tivoli was indeed there at that time then it's very strange change.

The DVD of "Travels With Father" changed one of the maps to read "Constantinople" instead of "Istanbul" and a building/temple in another shot was erased. Not sure about the building but the difference in the map was obviously done to be accurate. (There might even be more examples but I haven't spotted them yet!)

Aah, "Beautiful Girls" from Van Halen II. Killer album. What a freaking great band they were. "Got a drink in my hand, got my toes in the sand and all I need is a..."
Wow, it's been too long since I watched the episode as aired on television. I hadn't noticed all that!:eek:
Yeah, I just saw it last week! There's a lot of EXTRA stuff sprinkled throughout "Love's Sweet Song" but this is the 1st modified shot that I've noticed. Wonder if there are more...:confused:

vf wing

Curious find! Strangely enough for a latter day fan, I strongly prefer the original broadcast version. It seems a little more real. The grain feels appropriate due to its being a period piece. I also find the color palette more believable, despite whatever history might have to say.

The real reason the DVD version jumps out as being more fakey is the building replacement, as it allows us a much less inhibited view of the theatre building. From the angle we're looking, it comes off strongly as just a flat... we should be able to see two sides of it, and one just simply isn't there. It isn't in the original shot either, but being obscured by the later replaced building helped sell the illusion more effectively.

I agree that it's fantastic compositing. But really scratchin' my head as to why they went to all the trouble cleaning up the shot and didn't fix what strikes me as a glaring error. Unless the theatre is three-sided or something! :hat:

Montana Smith

Since I didn't pay much attention to this series when it was on TV, I didn't realize that so much had been edited for the DVD release. Now I'm going to have to read this thread more carefully, from the beginning. :)

Stoo

Austria, March 1917 / Adventures in the Secret Service -Part 1

When the DVDs first came out, I noticed this part was missing but forgot to mention it here.

Near the beginning, when the 2 princes in the car drive away at 03:32 on the DVD, a shot has been dropped. Indy is getting up from the ground and looking a tad dejected as he watches them drive off. The new version has the car driving in away in one, continuous shot. This might have been cut to make Indy look like less of a push-over (literally).

1917_Austria_Cut_01.jpg

In “Secret Service”, Indy is shown trying to catch up to them and entering the building in a hurry. This sequence is a replacement for a cut scene which takes place right after the above mentioned shot of the car. It lasts up until the point where Indy enters the room to be first introduced to Xavier and Sixtus. Even though the new footage is the same length of time as the cut scene (approx. 45 secs), the music has been changed, too. Until I upload all these missing bits to YouTube, here's a look at the scene.

Sixtus: Colonel, if you would be sure to thank the President and the Prime Minister for us.

1917_Austria_Cut_02.jpg

An officer hands glasses of wine to the Colonel and Sixtus before he and Xavier each take one from the table.

Colonel Belmond: Gentleman...God’s speed to you in your efforts.
Major Delon: Hear. Hear.

They raise their glasses and drink. Sixtus downs his wine in one, quick gulp and puts his glass on the table.

Sixtus: When do we leave?

1917_Austria_Cut_03.jpg

Colonel Belmond: Immediately. You will be supplied wiz false papers and, of course, an agent.
Sixtus: You mean...a spy?
Colonel Belmond: Precisely that. Major...show in Captain Defense.

1917_Austria_Cut_04.jpg

Xavier: (chuckles, whispering) Imagine, Sixtus, our very own spy.
Sixtus: I’ll bet he’s a right ruffian.
Xavier: Oh. Ye- (laughs nervously)
Sixtus: Great, coarse fellow with knives in his boots and a scar across his throat.
Xavier: Probably missing an ear. (Whispering excitedly) I can’t wait to meet him.

The last line is a voice-over as Indy is walking through the door at 04:28 on the DVD.

1917_Austria_Cut_05.jpg

The shot of the 2 princes laughing and then looking surprised/embarrassed upon seeing Indy has been replaced by a new one. In the TV version, when Sixtus says the “trick cyclist” line he is off-screen as Indy walks forward into the room.

1917_Austria_Cut_06.jpg

Exulted Unicron

DVD/VHS differences

I recently bought the Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones vesions of Phantom Train of Doom, Attack of the Hawkmen and Treasure of the Peacock's Eye.

Do these have the George Hall book ends or are they removed like on the DVD? and if possible, any other version differences

GiantThuggee

Unfortunately, the VHS versions don't have the Old Indy bookends either.

In fact if memory serves, the only Old Indy footage officially released was on a 6-volume VHS set released in the UK. And this set was released shortly after the show originally aired.

I'm not aware of any other differences on the "movies" you mentioned. But I'm no expert! ;)

indyclone25

by time they were released on video in the usa , they were made into the movies as seen on the dvds, i have most of the series in the original airings on vhs, i just have to find the time to transfer them to dvd myself .

Junior Jones

Exulted Unicron said:
I recently bought the Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones vesions of Phantom Train of Doom, Attack of the Hawkmen and Treasure of the Peacock's Eye.

Do these have the George Hall book ends or are they removed like on the DVD? and if possible, any other version differences

Actually, these three movies never had George Hall bookends to begin with, so it's likely that they're the same as other releases.

Phil

Stoo

You guys are right but, Unicorn, are you buying the PAL versions? The only difference that's been reported (by Jeremiah Jones) is in the UK version of the DVD for "Daredevils of the Desert" but it's not one you've purchased. A brief shot* did not make it past the 21st century, UK censors.(n)

(*Not as drastic as the U.K. cutting the heart-ripping scene from "Temple of Doom"!:eek:)

Exulted Unicron

yeah, they are the UK versions on VHS. I'm looking forward to them, but I was wondering if they were any different to the DVD versions

Crack that whip

GiantThuggee said:
Unfortunately, the VHS versions don't have the Old Indy bookends either.

In fact if memory serves, the only Old Indy footage officially released was on a 6-volume VHS set released in the UK. And this set was released shortly after the show originally aired.

There was also a Japanese laserdisc boxed set containing a bunch of the earlier episodes. AFAIK, it does have the full original versions of the episodes in it, complete with the Old Indy bookends (possibly the majority of all the Old Indy segments ever made, though I'm not sure). It goes without saying this set is long out of print, of course.

MDew

Deleted scene?

I received an email contact from my YIJ Film Locations site from a gentleman who claims he was an usher extra in a "wedding scene" in the show, that was apparently filmed outside a church on a plantation near Wilmington, NC (where most of the Princeton scenes were shot). I could not for the life of me think of a scene in the show that fits this description, so now I'm wondering if it was something that was shot & cut from an episode or part of an unreleased episode. Does this scene sound familiar to anyone? I'm still trying to figure out some more details from him, but in any case it seems like an interesting tidbit to look into!

MDew

After some research based on the clues he gave me, we think the filming location for the wedding scene was a chapel at the Orton Plantation in Winnabow, NC. Perhaps this looks familiar to someone out there?
243386.jpg