Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films

Stoo

MDew said:
...so now I'm wondering if it was something that was shot & cut from an episode or part of an unreleased episode. Does this scene sound familiar to anyone? I'm still trying to figure out some more details from him, but in any case it seems like an interesting tidbit to look into!
MDew, this is an amazing discovery and I have a theory about what it might be. Since it's not really related to the topic of this thread, I recommend starting a new one or post your scoop in either of these:

Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films
Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy

(Could one of the mods possibly transplant MDew's posts?:confused:)

MDew

Oops, I put it in the wrong place! I was going to put it in the first topic there but must've clicked on the wrong page when I went back...

MDew

Thought I'd relocate this discussion, since I accidentally posted it in the wrong place:

I received an email contact from my YIJ Film Locations site from a gentleman who claims he was an usher extra in a "wedding scene" in the show, that was apparently filmed outside a church on a plantation near Wilmington, NC (where most of the Princeton scenes were shot). I could not for the life of me think of a scene in the show that fits this description, so now I'm wondering if it was something that was shot & cut from an episode or part of an unreleased episode. Does this scene sound familiar to anyone? I'm still trying to figure out some more details from him, but in any case it seems like an interesting tidbit to look into!

After some research based on the clues he gave me, we think the filming location for the wedding scene was a chapel at the Orton Plantation in Winnabow, NC. Perhaps this looks familiar to someone out there?
243386.jpg

Stoo

MDew said:
Thought I'd relocate this discussion, since I accidentally posted it in the wrong place:
Thanks for doing that, MDew.:hat: As I said in the other thread: This is an amazing discovery!(y)

Since Wilmington was also used as the location for several of the Old Indy bookends, the mystery scene *might* be from either:

- An unused bookend.
- Henry Sr. & Anna's wedding (filmed for the new, opening footage in "My First Adventure").

Those are the only scenarios I can think of. Maybe you've already asked him but the 2 most important questions for your contact are:
1) When (What year) was the shoot?
2) Was he & the extras wearing period costumes or were they in modern dress?

(Through my YouTube channel, I've been contacted by 3 people who appeared in bookends. One of them played the mailwoman from the "Austria" episode and she is definitely from Wilmington.)

MDew

Cool, thanks for the info Stoo. I asked him those very questions and: He knows he was in high school at the time and thinks it must've been between 1988-1990, likely 1989. He's sure he was wearing more modern clothing, not period wear. Hmmm....

Stoo

Hmmm...is right, MDew. Modern clothes would mean an unused bookend but the dates are problematic. Filming of the series only began in May of '91.

MDew

Yeah that is weird. It's just understandably hard for him to remember the specific details as it was so long ago. Were the bookends shot around the same time as the episodes or filmed & tacked on right before airing on TV?

Stoo

Peronally, I find it weird that he can't remember the year (but I guess not everyone's memory is the same.) Do you have any idea how old this guy is?:confused:

As for when the bookends were filmed: I don't know. The only thing I have to judge with are the ones for "Scandal of 1920". A certain, background detail confirms that they were shot about roughly 1 month before it aired.

P.S. I see you subscribed to my YouTube channel.:)

MDew

Yeah it's a shame, seems like we've kinda reached a dead-end on this one. Wish we could get a hold of a source from the film crew who might have more knowledge of the deleted scenes (and why that kind of content was left off the DVDs is beyond me).

Still, you've renewed my interest in the bookends - and your Youtube channel is great. Is that all of them or are there more coming? (Yet another thing mysteriously left off the DVD set) Hope you don't mind me putting this together (I gave you credit of course).

Love the site MDew, somewhere on here a while back I found pinpointed quite a few locations in Dublin and nearby Bray, have these slipped through the net? Or have I missed them somehow

Edit: Oh there it is. Cool site

Last edited:

MDew

Thanks Jeremiah - you were a big help with the Ireland locations. Still looking for more help on there, there's lots more to find! Soon I'd like to update with location guides for each episode, but I'll probably wait until I get a bit further along - there's still a lot of gaps.

Stoo

MDew said:
Yeah it's a shame, seems like we've kinda reached a dead-end on this one. Wish we could get a hold of a source from the film crew who might have more knowledge of the deleted scenes (and why that kind of content was left off the DVDs is beyond me).
Taking a wild guess, this mystery scene might have been unused bookends for "Istanbul" because of the marriage theme. (We have a Young Indy sound editor on here but no film crew.)

Episodes without bookends:
---
Phantom Train of Doom
Attack of the Hawkmen (Ravenelle, Early February 1917 + Ahlhorn, Late February 1917)
Prague, August 1917
Palestine, October 1917
Istanbul, September 1918
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye (New Guinea, March 1919)
Paris, May 1919
Hollywood Follies (Hollywood, Early August 1920 + Newhall, Late August 1920)
MDew said:
Still, you've renewed my interest in the bookends - and your Youtube channel is great. Is that all of them or are there more coming? (Yet another thing mysteriously left off the DVD set) Hope you don't mind me putting this together (I gave you credit of course).
Thanks, MDew. There are 2 more to go. Have you seen this thread? The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Your site is EXCELLENT and have more to add but let's take the conversation over to the proper place: Filming Locations

Stoo

Hollywood Follies

I haven't gone over the whole thing but I did notice an omission in the closing credits. In the original Family Channel broadcast, the closing shot of the car driving away had the following text superimposed just before the end credits began:

"Lucasfilm Ltd. would like to thank the people of Fillmore, California for the invaluable assistance druing the 1994 Northridge Earthquake which occurred on the first day of shooting HOLLYWOOD FOLLIES. Their support during the difficult time following the earthquake was truly inspirational and greatly appreciated."

Which means the 1st day of shooting was 17 January, 1994.

Stoo

Alternate Shot in "Travels With Father"

Just noticed an ALTERNATE shot in "Travels With Father"!:) In the TV show, Indy peruses through Tolstoy's personal Bible and later receives it (in a trade for baseball cards).

The DVD version shows a NEW close-up shot of Tolstoy's bible which replaces the shot in the TV version. I assume this was done so it could MATCH the Bible which was later seen in Indy's bedroom at home in Princeton (which would've been left untouched between 1916-1919).

BibleComparison_01.jpg

The prop designers must have created a new, thicker book because the interior pages are the same:

BibleComparison_02.jpg

Last edited:
Stoo said:
The DVD version shows a NEW close-up shot of Tolstoy's bible which replaces the shot in the TV version.

"Inspired" find...what do you think of the edit?

Anyone keeping an ordered index of the changes?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
"Inspired" find...

Indeed.

Rocket Surgeon said:

I was thinking the very same thing.

Stoo said:
The DVD version shows a NEW close-up shot of Tolstoy's bible which replaces the shot in the TV version. I assume this was done so it could MATCH the Bible which was later seen in Indy's bedroom at home in Princeton (which would've been left untouched between 1916-1919).

That's quite a drastic change, and yet so subtle that I hadn't noticed it. I wonder, then, why they felt it so necessary to explain Henry's posession of a Russian Orthodox Bible?

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
"Inspired" find...what do you think of the edit?
Montana Smith said:
Indeed, indeed. 'Twas 'inspired' by the current discussion of the Cruciform Sword symbol.;)

Quite frankly, I don't know what to think of the edit. While it's cool think that Indy kept Tolstoy's bible on his desk in his room, the new shot doesn't match the main prop. That said, the inconsistency in the DVD version is something I can live with but it does change matters a tiny fraction...Ultimately, the alteration is probably a good thing.
Rocket Surgeon said:
I am. Rest assured, Rocket, because this thread is essentially my baby.;) (The cut scenes from "Princeton, February 1916" will be the focus of my planned IndyCast segment.)
Montana Smith said:
That's quite a drastic change, and yet so subtle that I hadn't noticed it. I wonder, then, why they felt it so necessary to explain Henry's posession of a Russian Orthodox Bible?
Maybe it's because:

A) Indy's desk also has a photo of Teddy Roosevelt's African safari and someone felt it would be a good idea to connect the bible to Tolstoy.
or
B) Perhaps it was a continuity mistake which was begging to be fixed.

There are quite a few changes in "Travels With Father" and this bible shot is just one more example (which passed by without notice until yesterday)! Who knows how many cuts/modifications exist in "The Adventures of..." VHS & DVDs? The hunt is constant and ongoing...:)

phantom train

I just re-read these posts; First of all, I wanted to thank everyone for their invaluable contributions here - there is a lot of info. re: the edits that were made to the YIJC for the VHS/DVD releases that I would have been unaware of if not for this thread. It's truly amazing that there were so many edits made; I understand much of this was because Lflm. modified the shows from one-hour (roughly) episodes into the 2-hour TV movies so they felt they needed to cut the GH bookends, etc., however there were a lot of scenes that could easily have been kept in the tele-films and/or shouldn't have been changed. It almost seems that some/most of these changes were made for the sole purpose of making changes :( As has been mentioned, the additional scenes filmed to "link" the two episodes for the tele-films were, in most cases, quite awful & awkward -The "linking" sequence between the London 1916 and the Ireland 1916 episode was especially terrible, i.e. Remy & Indy's hair length & Remy's mustache in this sequence were obviously different from the "London" episode, even though the sequence was chronologically supposed to take place right after "London"; very sloppy. While this didn't ruin the whole tele-film for me, it was most definitely jarring & unecessary. And, that's just one example.

So, now that the 20th anniversay of the show is almost here (Spring 2012), I would really like to see another release of the YIJC on DVD, with the unedited individual episodes as they originally appeared on TV in the early-mid '90's, i.e. with the George Hall bookends, etc. Though I have the 2007-2008 DVD sets and enjoy them, it would be great to have the originals both for nostalgic reasons (since I saw them on TV back in the day), and also because a lot of the edits made took away from the impact of these original shows.

Wishful thinking, I know, since Lflm. is notorious for ignoring previous versions of their material that they don't like (i.e., the original 1977, 1980, and 1983 SW films are still not available in acceptable DVD releases). So, I seriously doubt this will ever happen, unless?! there is a 5th IJ film....(and maybe not even then)....

Last edited:

Stoo

PhantomTrain, stay tuned because I will soon be uploading all the cut & modified shots/scenes. The 1st one on deck is the original bookends to "Travels With Father".

Demitasse

Stoo said:
PhantomTrain, stay tuned because I will soon be uploading all the cut & modified shots/scenes. The 1st one on deck is the original bookends to "Travels With Father".

Stoo, you friggin RULE, bro! Stoo TV 4ever!!!!