Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films

Stoo

Demitasse, unless something minor slipped by, I'm pretty confident that the London episode is fully intact.

To compare the 2 versions of each chapter, one version is played on my TV and the other on my laptop and both are synched up perfectly. Extra or deleted scenes become instantly detectable due to the differences in the audio...

However, digitally modified visuals (such as those in, "Travels With Father", "Ireland" & "Paris 1916") cannot be discovered this way. Those differences are found by actually watching the A/B comparisons shot-for-shot and I can't remember if I did this for the London episode.

It's safe to say that no scenes were CUT from "London" but.......Is another VISUAL comparison in order?:)

Demitasse

I did a visual comparison of it last night and the London episode and the dvd version are virtually the same. Nothing new has been added digitally as far as I could make out. There is some new footage spliced into the movie in addition to the new bridging sequence:

At about 1:10:50 on the dvd it breaks off from the broadcast version and we get a new scene of Indy and Vicky on the train with Indy explaining the background on Miss Seymour. I assume this was part of the new footage filmed in 1999 and not the original:

amytqf.jpg

At about 1:22:25 on the dvd it breaks off from the broadcast again with ten extra seconds of exchanged glance bike-riding, this footage looks older than 1999. Could be that it was just not part of this youtube version of the episode which was probably a re-broadcast. Stoo you may want to check your originals:

1zgu82a.jpg

Other than that, this looks like one of the few episodes that is more or less intact from the original airing! Glad they didn?t mess with it, other than the travesty of removing those poignant Old Indy bookends!!!

Stoo

Demitasse said:
At about 1:10:50 on the dvd it breaks off from the broadcast version and we get a new scene of Indy and Vicky on the train with Indy explaining the background on Miss Seymour. I assume this was part of the new footage filmed in 1999 and not the original:
This scene isn't new because it was in the original, Canadian broadcast on CTV. The YouTube version you compared it with might be from the American broadcast on ABC. The reason why I say this is...

From personal experience, I know that *at least* 2 episodes on ABC in the States were shorter than the Canadian CTV versions because they were missing scenes/shots. If the YouTube video you watched is indeed from ABC, then you've just uncovered the 3rd example of how the U.S. didn't get the FULL Young Indy episodes.

Upon first joining The Raven in 2005, I reached out for other folks to help investigate these CTV/ABC differences but my short-lived thread quickly went on the Road To Nowhere.:( Here is a link to where I detailed the differences: Missing/Extra Young Indy Scenes
Demitasse said:
At about 1:22:25 on the dvd it breaks off from the broadcast again with ten extra seconds of exchanged glance bike-riding, this footage looks older than 1999. Could be that it was just not part of this youtube version of the episode which was probably a re-broadcast. Stoo you may want to check your originals:
WHOAH! I never noticed that those were additional shots (and agree that they are using original footage which was edited out of the broadcasts). Way to go, Demitasse!:hat:

reinthal

Where is Sir Peregrine Prentiss in Treasure of the Peacock's Eye?

I notice that actor Frederick Treves is credited in the DVD of Treasure of the Peacock's Eye for an appearance as Sir Peregrine Prentiss the father of Vicky Prentiss (Elizabeth Hurley) who starred in the episode London, May 1916 but I can't see him in it at all. Was his credit perhaps mistakenly included by the DVD production team or did his scene end up on the cutting room floor?

It makes sense that Indy would try and find Vicky after the war, though from the original "Old Indy" bookends we know*that he had not in fact seen her since the day he departed London for the war but perhaps he did find and speak with her father. If so it seems that that scene never made it to the final cut (of the DVD version at least).

I don't have access to the original broadcast version? Does anyone know if he was in that?

Stoo

reinthal said:
I don't have access to the original broadcast version? Does anyone know if he was in that?
I've always wondered about this, too, so thanks for mentioning it, Reinthal!:)

He is credited in the broadcast version, as well, but he doesn't seem to be in it anywhere. No scenes were cut for the VHS/DVD version so it's either a mistake or his part was completely dropped.

I'm guessing that his appearance would've come right after Indy goes to Miss Seymour's house since Vicky's parents lived nearby.

Maybe Laird Malamed has more insight into this mystery...

Demitasse

Stoo said:
PhantomTrain, stay tuned because I will soon be uploading all the cut & modified shots/scenes. The 1st one on deck is the original bookends to "Travels With Father".

Any chance of this in the near future Stoo?? Say one dull, rainy Swiss afternoon? (y)

Stoo

You must be psychic, HalfCup! It was indeed foggy & rainy here just last week so I started working on this but ran into corruption problems with my burned DVD. Were it not for that, the video would've been uploaded by now.:(

Michael Storm

Old Indy Bookends

I'm working on buying the official Lucasfilm dvds, or else the vhs tapes. I would like to own the Bookends especially the Spike one. I don't have anything to offer in return, but would like to have the Old Indy bookends in the show. Also I'd like to have them edited in the films.

Michael Storm said:
I'm working on buying the official Lucasfilm dvds, or else the vhs tapes. I would like to own the Bookends especially the Spike one. I don't have anything to offer in return, but would like to have the Old Indy bookends in the show. Also I'd like to have them edited in the films.
No problem.

I prefer cash.

PM me for the price.

Stoo

You must be the same person who, last week on my YouTube channel, asked me to give you .avi files of all the bookends.

Check out this entire thread and you'll see that much more stuff was cut than just the Old Indy bits.

P.S. If you wish to discuss the bookends themselves, the best place would be: The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Michael Storm

What about re-gaining the original episodes?

I'm not sure what to think of the chaptersl at first they sounded good like making even the movies 23,24,and 25. I love the two hour chapters, just didn't know that important more footage other than the bookends were cut. I heard it was a 45 minute show, and it took two episodes to equal a feature. Sure I know of the un-filmed episodes, due to loss of intrest and expenses, but that's an un-used concept, as far as I'm concered Sean Patrick Flannery is an old man now. He wouldn't look good as Indy anymore. That's been used,just like the main four films. I'm waiting for an un-edited cut of Young Indy spliced together into features with bookends, and I doubt that Disney will make another Indy film. Would be cool, but I heard they weren't going to do it. Still would be neat to do some Indy preqeuls, between the series, and films, with an all new actor, maybe in his twenties-to-early thirties. Thanks for the info. One day I'd like to do a restoration of the un-altered cut on blu ray without the CGI added.

Michael Storm

I've seen all of these.

Stoo said:
You must be the same person who, last week on my YouTube channel, asked me to give you .avi files of all the bookends.

Check out this entire thread and you'll see that much more stuff was cut than just the Old Indy bits.

P.S. If you wish to discuss the bookends themselves, the best place would be: The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles
I've seen these, and enjoy these several times. I just wanted to find out where or how I can piece together every little bit of missing artifact of the series together.

fommes

I'm completely drawing a blank here, so please help me out: wasn't there some sort of deleted scene with Indy and Nancy in a café somewhere in Princeton in 1919, using it as bookend? I remember reading about it here somewhere - or I could be completely mistaken :)

Stoo

Michael Storm said:
I've seen these, and enjoy these several times. I just wanted to find out where or how I can piece together every little bit of missing artifact of the series together.
Michael, I know that you've seen them because we talked recently on YouTube. I was pointing out a thread dedicated to conversation specifically about the bookends, just in case you case you ever felt like talking about them in more detail.

To have every, single, missing shred, you'll essentially need ALL of the TV broadcasts. Extracting all of the cut/altered scenes & titles into a neat, little package is a time-consuming tonne of work to ask for.

Anyway, your idea of compiling EVERYTHING into one linear collection can't be done 100% because there are 2 versions of the 'timeline'. They cannot be merged together without cutting certain parts.
Michael Storm said:
I'm waiting for an un-edited cut of Young Indy spliced together into features with bookends,
Dream the impossible dream but don't hold your breath for it to come true, dude!:)
Michael Storm said:
One day I'd like to do a restoration of the un-altered cut on blu ray without the CGI added.
:confused:
fommes said:
I'm completely drawing a blank here, so please help me out: wasn't there some sort of deleted scene with Indy and Nancy in a café somewhere in Princeton in 1919, using it as bookend? I remember reading about it here somewhere - or I could be completely mistaken :)
A café? You must be mistaken, Foams.:) Look a few posts up for a link to the bookends for "Travels With Father". Nancy is there but it's the same as the "Winds of Change" scene.

fommes

Apparently my memory is already faulty! I had this image in my head of a 'depressed' or older looking Flanery in a cafetaria reminiscing with Nancy and regretting that they didn't end up together or something like that - not even a picture of some filmed but unreleased scene? If you don't know it Stoo, it certainly doesn't exist, and I must have imagined it based on the prospect of Indy meeting up with Nancy again in Winds of Change before I ever saw the episode. Weird :)

NonStop

In relation to this thread; what would be the best way to get hold of all these series in their true glory?

I'm a UK resident, I can get hold of the UK DVD sets from 2008, but are there any VHS's for example that I should buy where certain episodes have been so badly butchered? Or should it all be VHS?

Thanks in advance!