Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

jeff2178

I just saw this one again, and think it is one (out of the many) that are the best. It was a true adventure tale, and you can finally see indy come into the Indiana we know. The other shows were great but this just seemed like one of the true adventures he would have. Also it connects to the Temple of Doom with the Diamond in the beginning that Indy wants, the Pecock's Eye. I just think it was a great one!(y)

Coincidentally I just watched it again myself Yesterday, and yes, I Love that episode, thank god it got made, it really goes a long way toward connecting the chronicles with the movies, you can really see where hes going with his life. Its also one of those episodes, like Ogana, where the narrative of Indys life is really moved along, that and Flannerys more like Ford then in any other episode. I adore the complete change in tone with the islands and Malinowski, really really great stuff.

Adamwankenobi

Jeremiah Jones said:
Coincidentally I just watched it again myself Yesterday, and yes, I Love that episode, thank god it got made, it really goes a long way toward connecting the chronicles with the movies, you can really see where hes going with his life. Its also one of those episodes, like Ogana, where the narrative of Indys life is really moved along, that and Flannerys more like Ford then in any other episode. I adore the complete change in tone with the islands and Malinowski, really really great stuff.

Agreed. My favorite episodes of the series tend to be those with heavy character developement and character moments.

Stoo

jeff2178 said:
Also it connects to the Temple of Doom with the Diamond in the beginning that Indy wants, the Pecock's Eye. I just think it was a great one!(y)
Unfortunately, this seems to be just fan speculation (but I like the idea).

Yes, it's definitely one of the best ones. Despite all the action, locations and atmosphere,
one of my favourite parts is when Indy & Remy are freshening up by the waterfall.
Such a neat little scene. I love the fact that they have one more adventure after
splitting up in "Attack of the Hawkmen". Ade Edmunson made a great villain, too!

However, I prefer the original because the VHS changed the voice of the lady pirate.

metalinvader

Well,The new Borders exclusive trilogy adaption states that it is infact the peacocks eye.So,It looks like the Indy "EU'' has made this official.Unfortunetly,THe book makes no mention of Remy but it does mention that Indy has been searching for the eye for a long time.

Matinee Idyll

Stoo said:
However, I prefer the original because the VHS changed the voice of the lady pirate.

I bloody knew it! I've only seen the video version, but her voice is just ridiculous - it's hardly ever in sync to begin with.

Ugh. :(

Stoo

metalinvader said:
Well,The new Borders exclusive trilogy adaption states that it is infact the peacocks eye.So,It looks like the Indy "EU'' has made this official.Unfortunetly,THe book makes no mention of Remy but it does mention that Indy has been searching for the eye for a long time.
What?!?!? COOL!!!!!!:cool:(y)
What exactly does it say? Is it new text in the "Doom" novel or is part of
some bio/timeline? Tell me more, dude!
Matinee Idyll said:
I bloody knew it! I've only seen the video version, but her voice is just ridiculous - it's hardly ever in sync to begin with.
Yes, it's really bad. She's not as fluent in English in the original which makes it more authentic.

metalinvader

Stoo said:
What?!?!? COOL!!!!!!:cool:(y)
What exactly does it say? Is it new text in the "Doom" novel or is part of
some bio/timeline? Tell me more, dude!

http://www.bordersstores.com/search...ms=indiana+jones&mediaType=1&srchType=Keyword

Here's a link to the book.The book contains the three junior adaptions of the movies.THe first chapter of TOD starts off with Indy going to meet his father at his office,Who was holding his mail for him.While,Indy is waiting for his father,Who is late btw,He opens his mail and finds a letter telling him to meet them somewhere in regards to the peacocks eye.The letter gives the time and meeting place for info regarding the eye's whereabouts,Which happens to be an hour after Indy reads the letter.So needless to say,Indy never met with his father and the rest is Indy history.

*edit*
I forgot to post a link to the original thread about the book.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12936

Last edited:

ReggieSnake

hmmm... just taped this episode from the History Channel yesterday morning.

I was going to continue with the second DVD on first set of the YIJC, but it looks like I might have to cut to the chase and watch Peacock...

Avilos

I think its HIGHLY likely that when TotPE was shot that Lucas intended the Peacock's Eye to be the Diamond in ToD. It may even be the very same prop! The other scenario - That both feature a similar Diamond and it was later retroactively made to be the same, seems unlikely.

Anyone think this story would have been better suited to be the final Young Indy story? Taking place while he was at the University of Chicago. Instead of happening right after the War, Remy visits Indy to enlist him on the quest. It works very well as it is. But considering there never was a last episode its not hard to imagine this as one. I like Hollywood Follies but it does not have much significance for Indy. Just his adventures in Hollywood during his summer break.

Sure, Malinowski's influence on Indy starting his studying would have been lost. But maybe in the version I purpose Malinowski would have encouraged him to continue with his education. Otherwise Indiana Jones would have been a mere treasure hunter/grave robber. But never a legitimate Archaeologist. Like I said I love the episode as is but I think this would have been a slight improvement.

Last edited:

metalinvader

Avilos said:
I think its HIGHLY likely that when TotPE was shot that Lucas intended the Peacock's Eye to be the Diamond in ToD. It may even be the very same prop!

It's not the same prop.The diamond in TOD came to a point,As seen here..

200px-032.jpg

While I cant find a picture of the diamond from the YI series I'm very sure that the diamond was round.

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:

Lucas can't leave anything alone. :(

Avilos said:
Anyone think this story would have been better suited to be the final Young Indy story?

Yeah, it ends on a high note: "I'm going home." After all he's experienced in the war and Malinowski's pep talk, that would have been the perfect way to end the series in terms of the re-edits. So I wouldn't want it to be set later during Indy's college years, because I think it would lose some of its impact.

Now that I think about it, we're pretty lucky it got made, as it was one of the four TV movies shot after ABC canceled the series.

Avilos

Honestly that screencap is way too small for me to tell.

Maybe the difference you are perceiving is the angle at which it was seen from in each.
http://www.indyprops.com/pp-diamond.htm

It maybe a different prop. My point was it could be the same. Due to the fact that Lucas saves and labels all the props from his films.

Avilos

Adamwankenobi said:
Now that I think about it, we're pretty lucky it got made, as it was one of the four TV movies shot after ABC canceled the series.
I imagine a movie showing these elements was a priority before production ended. Beyond the foreshadowing of his treasure hunting, they needed to resolve Remy's character. Of all those 4 movies its the one that covers the most ground. I bet Lucas would have shot TotPE even if Family channel never aired it. Maybe filmed along with the branching footage. Saving it for the future Video/DVD releases that were always planned.

Matinee Idyll

Adamwankenobi said:

Ugh, the dubbing is just so embarrassing. It makes me cringe if I'm watching it with anyone else in the room... What the hell is wrong with him!?

Matinee Idyll

Adamwankenobi said:
Yeah, it ends on a high note: "I'm going home." After all he's experienced in the war and Malinowski's pep talk, that would have been the perfect way to end the series in terms of the re-edits.

As it stands, the series finishes with Hollywood Follies, right? Talk about ending on a downer.

I haven't seen it in years, but I remember some terribly unconvincing bluescreen sunset as Indy sits in a car spouting horrific dialogue and trying to grope the girl beside him.

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
I imagine a movie showing these elements was a priority before production ended.

They should have ditched the Hollywood Follies idea and made the "Indy meets Abner" and/or the "Indy meets Belloq" episodes that were planned. (y)

Avilos said:
Of all those 4 movies its the one that covers the most ground.

Don't forget Travels with Father! :)

Matinee Idyll said:
As it stands, the series finishes with Hollywood Follies, right? Talk about ending on a downer.

Yep. The least Lucas could have done is switched it around to be before "Mystery of the Blues", because Ford's cameo, combined with our first glimpse of the University of Chicago, would have made for another satisfacory ending, given what was made. Maybe the real-world events of Hollywood Follies dictated where the movie could be plaed in the timeline. :confused:

ReggieSnake

Adamwankenobi said:
They should have ditched the Hollywood Follies idea and made the "Indy meets Abner" and/or the "Indy meets Belloq" episodes that were planned. (y)
It's really too bad those didn't get made! Then again, some of that info may be in KotCS...:rolleyes:

metlinvader said:
It's not the same prop.The diamond in TOD came to a point,As seen here..

While I cant find a picture of the diamond from the YI series I'm very sure that the diamond was round.
Having just watched it, the only time that I noticed that they show the diamond was when the museum curator is showing Indy and Remy the glass replica. The way he holds it, you can't tell whether it's pointed or not.

I like the idea that it is the same diamond Indy is after in Shanghai; it helps complete the episode.

Stoo said:
Was it the actress's original voice before? Wow, that VO was pretty bad...:sick:

Indy Smith

I'll jump in and agree that the ADR was terrible in that scene. There are a few other bad moments of ADR in the Yound Indy Series. The best of which seems to be Major Boucher. I didn't realise he was ADR'd.

I wonder what makes them put it out like this? I mean, surely they can see that it sucks and does not fix?

The main topic though, I like the idea that The Peacocks Eye is the Diamond that Indy was after in Temple of Doom. Even if it wasn't deliberate it still cool to say they are the same diamond.

timeline wise they couldn't really have switched around mystery of the blues with hollywood follies, as sydney buchet (or however one spells his name) is in scandal of 1920, which leads directly into hollywood. but yeah, it is a terrible way to end it-

as for the peacocks eye, we never see the actual diamond so it doesn't really matter if the doom diamond diverges slightly.