Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
This is definitely in my Top 5 episodes. However, having subsequently learned about the retcon done between this and Temple, it's not something I'm especially fond of. I liked that it was just some diamond, and not connected to Alexander the Great. (The actual idea of such tenuous at best.)
Upon first hearing about it, I liked the connection but am not so crazy about it now. Something which deserves repeating is that the original TV version did NOT contain the shot of the curator showing the replica of the diamond!:eek: A facsimile wasn't seen until the VHS release. (Something I've always wanted to know: Is this a case of fan wish-dom being turned into fact?)
Le Saboteur said:
For me, the interesting part was when the curator says that the peacock statue was destroyed after Alexander's death in 322. Well, why was it destroyed? Was it with Alexander when he died in Babylon? And if so, what happened to the rest of the gold; how did the diamond end up in India? Considering that Alexander never really made it into the sub-continent, there's lots to explore here. Another thirty minutes in Alexandria/Cairo/whatever would have been great as Remy & Indy delve more into the history of the diamond.
The peacock would have been probably melted down just as one of the diamond eyes was cut into smaller stones. The one Indy & Remy were after had 1600 years to switch hands! (As said above, I could go crazy inventing a back story for this thing.:eek:)

To me, the Eye of the Peacock is a mixture of the legends surrounding two of the most famous gems: the Hope Diamond and the famous Koh-i-Noor, both from India and each with a fascinating history. The Hope was cut from the larger French Blue, which had (false) legends of it being an eye of a statue.
Le Saboteur said:
Yes! It was really cool, but I still don't know why Indy and Remy didn't cut across from Cairo to Suez. It's practically a straight shot. And I believe the rail line was up and running by 1918.
I was wondering about something like that but, personally, I like the fact that they go on a mad train dash and the way the red line eases into the final straight to Port Said is so nicely done.

dr.jones1986

Le Saboteur said:
I just watched this again over the weekend. And while they could be M1's, I thought they were M-1903 Springfield's. Both are highly similar weapons. In fact, I think the only significant cosmetic difference was a heavier/thicker stock on the M1; the "en bloc" ammunition system was used in both weapon systems.

Lucas likes to fudge dates, but after reviewing the scene it does appear that some of them are indeed M1's. You can clearly see the stubby over-under barrel that clearly distinguishes the two. In the end, it's a fairly innocuous inaccuracy.

Some of those are clearly M1 Garands not Mausers. I mean most people would never notice but there is a big difference between the two weapons. One is a bolt action rifle while the other is a much faster firing semi automatic rifle, which is a great advantage. I bet alot of the prop guys and people working on the show never even realized the mistake.

There are of course weapons mistakes in the films, such as Kubelwagen's in '38 (crusade) and MP40's in both raiders and crusade. There were MP 36 and 38's, so perhaps they were these earlier prototype models. There also were Kubelwagen prototypes in 38, so I like to think Indy gave the Germans a chance to test out their new weapons.

dr.jones1986

Stoo, where was this episode filmed? I was wondering if they actually shot in Java or Papua New Guinea. I know Papua New Guinea and the Trobrian Islands are pretty remote, would have been a tough shoot.

Stoo

dr.jones1986 said:
I bet alot of the prop guys and people working on the show never even realized the mistake.
Or maybe they did and didn't give a toss or figured no one would notice.:eek: The mistake on the weapons doesn't bother me at all but it is interesting to know!:hat:
dr.jones1986 said:
Stoo, where was this episode filmed? I was wondering if they actually shot in Java or Papua New Guinea. I know Papua New Guinea and the Trobrian Islands are pretty remote, would have been a tough shoot.
Not exactly sure about the exotic locations but it looks like they were filmed in & around Thailand. (It would be nice to know so that they can be added to the Filming Locations thread.)

Location Manager - Pairoj Rojlert Janya (AKA Pairoj Rojlertjanya who is a Thai production manager)
Production Supervisor (Thailand) - Santa Pestonji
Electrical Equipment - VS Service, Bangkok

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Or maybe they did and didn't give a toss or figured no one would notice.:eek: The mistake on the weapons doesn't bother me at all but it is interesting to know!:hat:
Not exactly sure about the exotic locations but it looks like they were filmed in & around Thailand. (It would be nice to know so that they can be added to the Filming Locations thread.)

Location Manager - Pairoj Rojlert Janya (AKA Pairoj Rojlertjanya who is a Thai production manager)
Production Supervisor (Thailand) - Santa Pestonji
Electrical Equipment - VS Service, Bangkok

That was my guess, Thailand can easily fill in for both Indoensia and Papua New Guinea/ The Trobriand Islands. It has the beaches and rainforests necassary. Those tribesmen were very convincing and looked authentic though and they were certainly not Thai. I wonder how they worked that out.

As far as I recall, the exterior of the temple where they found the box is at Sukothai in Thailand, I was there years ago. I'd seen Peacock's eye yet despite clambering over and inside the thing I didn't recognise it til years later when I was going back over old photos

Lao_Che

Stoo said:
The one Indy & Remy were after had 1600 years to switch hands! (As said above, I could go crazy inventing a back story for this thing.:eek:)

For what it's worth:

Temple of Doom Sourcebook said:
For this service, Mr. Che has agreed to pay the finder a sizeable reward in gold, along with a diamond he recently acquired. The gold would enable our [Chinese Historical Preservation] Society to acquire many other notable pieces, while the diamond once belonged to an Emperor of the T'ang Dyansty, and is very valuable in its own right.

Though "this adventure is written assuming that the player characters rather than Indy are hired by Lao Che to perform this task[...]" The task being Nurhachi.

And:

Weyn's Temple of Doom novel said:
We are in possession of the Eye of the Peacock, which we offer to you as payment, though you must promise not to inquire how we came to possess such a prize.

dr.jones1986

One another thing I noticed in this episode was when Indy is in the temple and reaches for the box, I believe there is a snake in the crevice and he shows no fear as it slithers past his hand. Did anyone else notice this?

Lao_Che

dr.jones1986 said:
One another thing I noticed in this episode was when Indy is in the temple and reaches for the box, I believe there is a snake in the crevice and he shows no fear as it slithers past his hand. Did anyone else notice this?

He doesn't know the snake is there because he can't see anything in the hole. :p

AnnieJones

dr.jones1986 said:
I thought it makes a hissing sound which would have alerted him it was there.
I posted a possibility about this situation on page 2 of the Snake Surprise? No reaction from Dr. Jones? Thread.
AnnieJones said:
He was in the temple getting "the box" from the hole in the wall and there was a snake in the hole.As an audience member I can honestly say I was expecting a yelp,scream,or some other sound to come out of Indy.Apparently,I wasn't the only audience member for this to happen to because the same thing happened when I let my uncles borrow it and we watched it together as a family.I could tell they were expecting the same reaction in that scene because I could see and hear(one uncle made a comment,something like "oh?!")their reaction.
My explanation for this scene was Indy didn't see or hear the snake or he wanted to be so careful getting the box that he ignored the snake.
Other things I've noticed about this episode was on the DVD itself it has the year 1919 on it.That can't be correct because the war ended on November 11,1918 and shortly after Indy went to Miss Seymour's house and then went on to look for the Peacock's Eye.So that's one thing the Lost Journal got right.In the Peacock's Eye section of the Lost Journal,it has the dates of Nov.22,and 29,1918.I'm thinking that what it shows on the DVD itself and The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
a Titles & Air Dates Guide
is wrong(The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles a Titles & Air Dates Guide shows November 1919).At the least they would have been looking for the Peacock's Eye in Nov.1918 to early 1919,but I personally think it was just in November 1918 that they were searching for it.

Last edited:

AnnieJones

The Ultimate Guide has:
November, 1918 Indy and Remy go in search of the Eye of the Peacock diamond.

November 4, 1918 Helen Seymour dies of influenza.

November 11, 1918 Armistice Day.

That is one thing that is so annoying about The Ultimate Guide,it's mostly wrong.It has it backwards.
I should be this way:
November 4, 1918 Helen Seymour dies of influenza.

November 11, 1918 Armistice Day.

November, 1918 Indy and Remy go in search of the Eye of the Peacock diamond.

Something that surprised me when I watched this episode was when Indy went to Miss Seymour's house.The very first thing he says is "Ruth." He actually said the name of Ruth the maid.I couldn't make out what he was saying because it was so low and muffled.So,I rewound the DVD,turned the volume up,and I still couldn't make out what he was saying.Then I closed captioned it and it showed that he said "Ruth."
I didn't think,or know,he said anyone's name until I closed captioned it.Usually characters like that are only mentioned in the end credits and not in the show,but she was both and I was happy to find out he actually said her name.

Last edited:

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
At the least they would have been looking for the Peacock's Eye in Nov.1918 to early 1919,but I personally think it was just in November 1918 that they were searching for it.
I've always imagined it to be sometime later than November 1919, simply because Remy would've probably wanted to spend time with his wife (and her kids) before leaving again. Otherwise, Suzette was a very patient (or promiscuous:eek:) wife!

Remy: "Mon chéri. I am back from ze war hafter more zan 2 years...halmost tree (3). Now, I am hoff hagain for 'oo knows 'ow long..."
AnnieJones said:
Something that surprised me when I watched this episode was when Indy went to Miss Seymour's house.The very first thing he says is "Ruth." He actually said the name of Ruth the maid.I couldn't make out what he was saying because it was so low and muffled.So,I rewound the DVD,turned the volume up,and I still couldn't make out what he was saying.Then I closed captioned it and it showed that he said "Ruth."
I didn't think,or know,he said anyone's name until I closed captioned it.Usually characters like that are only mentioned in the end credits and not in the show,but she was both and I was happy to find out he actually said her name.
Nice catch, Annie! I never noticed the maid's name. Funny how Indy would know since I can't remember if Ms. Seymour even has a maid in the "London" episode. Maybe she was there but just never seen?:confused:

AnnieJones

I always wanted to make a list of all the places Indy and Remy went to in Treasure of the Peacock's Eye as far as making stops are concerned(with the exception of the China Sea).I finally got around to it.I could have used Indy Wiki or some other place to get my information,but I've learned from many past experiences with the Indiana Jones canon,always do your own research even if at times it can be time consuming,because the easy way(going to other sources instead of straight to the main source)usually gives wrong information.So,I did this the old fashioned way.I watched the DVD,listened to the DVD,and wrote down anything and everything that had to do with the places they went to.Indiana Jones Wiki - Young Indiana Jones and the Treasure of the Peacock's Eye lists too many places and most of them aren't in that episode.I apologize if this is too long.

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye Locations

1.The trenches in Africa(I think it was Africa they were in,based on what Remy said later when they arrived in Alexandria,Egypt.
Remy:Alexandria,here we are,back in Africa.Let's just hope we have better luck than we did last time.)
2.London Waterloo Train Station,London,England(Saw the name "Waterloo" on a sign in the train station.)
3.Oxford,England(Indy went to Helen Seymour's house,which is in Oxford.)
4.London,England(Remy's home,based this on the fact that Remy met his wife in London,England,and his family was there to meet him at the train station.)
5.Liverpool,England(Map)
6.Lisbon,Portugal(Map)
7.Algiers,Algeria,Africa(Map)
8.Alexandria,Egypt,Africa(Map)
9.Kafr El Dawar(or Kafr el-Dawwar),Egypt,Africa(Map)
10.Damanhoui,Egypt,Africa(Might be the same place as Damanhui or Damanhur,Egypt.)(Map)
11.Kafr El-Za'iat(or Kafr el Zayat ),Egypt,Africa(Mentioned and on the map.)
12.Tanta,Egypt,Africa(Map)
13.Kafr Sakr,Egypt,Africa(Map)
14.Fakous,Egypt,Africa(Map)
15.El Salhieh(or Al Salhieh),Egypt,Africa(Map)
16.Port Said,Egypt,Africa(Map)
17.Batavia(now Jakarta ),Java,Indonesia(Map)
18.China Sea( South China Sea.Even though the map showed just China Sea,judging by it's location it was the South China Sea.)(Map)
19.Trobriand Islands(now Kiriwina Islands),Pacific Ocean(Mention only)
20.Singapore (Mention only)
21.London,England(Mention only)
22.America(Mention only)

Last edited:

MDew

Nice work, I was always confused by all the jumping around in that episode - they really got around! I never really got why there was a "Waterloo" sign at the London train station - thanks for the clarification.(y)

I think when Remy was referring to the last time they were in Africa it was in reference to the events of Oganga. Without a doubt they're in France at the beginning of the episode, there was no extensive trench warfare in Africa during the first world war. Also, at the end of the episode he doesn't go to America, hes on his way but the next time we see him hes in Paris at the peace conference, having not returned home since the wars end.

AnnieJones

Jeremiah Jones said:
I think when Remy was referring to the last time they were in Africa it was in reference to the events of Oganga. Without a doubt they're in France at the beginning of the episode, there was no extensive trench warfare in Africa during the first world war. Also, at the end of the episode he doesn't go to America, hes on his way but the next time we see him hes in Paris at the peace conference, having not returned home since the wars end.
Thank you for your information Jeremiah Jones.:hat:
Now I can update.(y) Where exactly were the trenches in France?

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye Locations Updated 3/17/2011
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye Locations

1.The trenches in France.
2.London Waterloo Train Station,London,England(Saw the name "Waterloo" on a sign in the train station.)
3.Oxford,England(Indy went to Helen Seymour's house,which is in Oxford.)
4.London,England(Remy's home,based this on the fact that Remy met his wife in London,England,and his family was there to meet him at the train station.)
5.Liverpool,England(Map)
6.Lisbon,Portugal(Map)
7.Algiers,Algeria,Africa(Map)
8.Alexandria,Egypt,Africa(Map)
9.Kafr El Dawar(or Kafr el-Dawwar),Egypt,Africa(Map)
10.Damanhoui,Egypt,Africa(Might be the same place as Damanhui or Damanhur,Egypt.)(Map)
11.Kafr El-Za'iat(or Kafr el Zayat ),Egypt,Africa(Mentioned and on the map.)
12.Tanta,Egypt,Africa(Map)
13.Kafr Sakr,Egypt,Africa(Map)
14.Fakous,Egypt,Africa(Map)
15.El Salhieh(or Al Salhieh),Egypt,Africa(Map)
16.Port Said,Egypt,Africa(Map)
17.Batavia(now Jakarta ),Java,Indonesia(Map)
18.China Sea( South China Sea.Even though the map showed just China Sea,judging by it's location it was the South China Sea.)(Map)
19.Trobriand Islands(now Kiriwina Islands),Pacific Ocean(Mention only)
20.Singapore (Mention only)
21.London,England(Mention only)
22.At the end of this episode,Indy said he was going home to America.He ended up not going home to America,because we see him in the next episode in Paris,France,at the Paris Peace Conference.

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
I always wanted to make a list of all the places Indy and Remy went to in Treasure of the Peacock's Eye as far as making stops are concerned(with the exception of the China Sea).I finally got around to it.I could have used Indy Wiki or some other place to get my information,but I've learned from many past experiences with the Indiana Jones canon,always do your own research even if at times it can be time consuming,because the easy way(going to other sources instead of straight to the main source)usually gives wrong information
Annie, I did the SAME thing back in the pre-internet days of the early '90s, listing every place Indy went throughout the ENTIRE series!:eek:
Jeremiah Jones said:
Without a doubt they're in France at the beginning of the episode, there was no extensive trench warfare in Africa during the first world war.
Jeremiah is absolutely right about this sequence being in France. The trench warfare is a big clue, not to mention that none of the men are wearing a tropical kit and there is a complete absence of African askaris (soldiers). It's also not in the Middle East because there are no Turkish enemy troops so it MUST be somewhere in France.

After leaving Port Said they pass through Suez but the red line doesn't show them stopping there, which is rather odd.

Re. South China Sea: I've never understood why the red line on the map is shown going into the South China Sea. The ship leaves Java bound for Singapore but passes right by its destination!

Before Indy & Remy reach the Trobriands, they stop at the island where all the pirates get killed. Considering the natives are supposedly headhunters, I'm assuming it's somewhere off the coast of New Guinea.

Technically, the Trobriand Islands are NOW part of New Guinea. They are situated right next to the Solomon Sea (a small corner of the Pacific Ocean).

It's hard to believe that Indy & Remy travelled from the Karimata Strait all the way to the Trobriand Islands in just a rowboat. Incredulous!:eek:

AnnieJones

Yay,I found more "Peacock's Eye" videos! (y)

The Adventures Of Young Indiana Jones - Treasure Of The Peacock's Eye - Part 1
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_iSj2AG1MZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Young Indiana Jones - Treasure of the Peacocks eye - Part 2
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KO037qHQC2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>