Masks of Evil (Transylvania)

robweiner8

Does anyone else feel that the Vlad episode of Young Indy is REALLY out of place? I don't feel that it fits the series. I didn't like it. I'm fine with magic coming out of the Ark, the stuff in ToD and the idea of aliens in the new movie, but vampires that can't die and evil Romanian rulers that have survied for 600 years doesn't seem to fit in Young Indy.
What do you all think?

Indyologist

Yes, I agree. When I saw the Masks episode, it did seem out of place in the series and I certainly did NOT think it was appropriate for children, in spite of what Lucas said about the series making history "fun" for youngsters. This episode wasn't about history and it wasn't about "fun"-- I found it horrifying and totally out of character for the show.

TalonCard

I liked it--I thought it was a nice change of pace from the regular Indy episodes, and they had a nice interpretation of Dracula. It's hard to be menacing when you're wearing authentic Vlad-era foppery and speaking in what I presume to be something resembling an actual Transyvanian accent, but they pulled it off. It's very much like in the vein of the horrorific supernatural elements of the Indiana Jones trilogy--the final Ark and false Grail and, well, much of the second half of Temple of Doom.

Much of this show was definitely not made for children...there's the more realistic horrors of trench warfare, the prostitutes, underage sex...but since the Indy movies are really retroactively PG-13, I don't see the problem.

TC

IndySeven

Yes, it's totally out of place! Evil spirits, floating orbs and Dracula! This is so out of place for anything Indy!(y)

Avilos

The tone and feel of Transylvania reminds me of Temple of Doom. I love that movie so that is a great compliment coming from me!

tupogirl

I love it. My mom was a bit obsessed with vampires (she died 10 years ago today) and so this episode strangely enough, makes me think of her. Plus I think perhaps our relatives may have been gone up against him. Fascinating history.

I've always enjoyed that episode. Granted, the Dracula thing was a little hard to swallow, but with Temple of Doom it is a lot easier for me to beleive in than crystal alien skulls...

TalonCard

Indy fans can be so picky sometimes. Unexplained phantoms arising from the holy Ark of the Covenent are ok, but floating orbs and vampire spirits aren't?

TC

robweiner8

Adamwankenobi said:
@robweiner8
Let us hope and pray that Sankara doesn't see this thread! *LOL*

;)
Whoops hope i didn't make some kind of mistake. :eek:

TalonCard said:
Indy fans can be so picky sometimes. Unexplained phantoms arising from the holy Ark of the Covenent are ok, but floating orbs and vampire spirits aren't?

TC
Its not that I am upset that there are supernatural elements in this episode, it's just that I feel this type of supernaturalism doesn't work for Indy, specifically Young Indy. The scenes where people are shot/ have knives thrown into them and then resurrect just don't seem in the right tone, imho. Usually after watching YIJC, I felt like I learned something about history or the development of Indy or just had a good time watching the show, but after this I was left wondering "what the hell?:confused: It almost seems like this episode has too much supernatural stuff for Indiana Jones. ToD had its share, but for some reason this felt way different.

TalonCard

robweiner8 said:
Its not that I am upset that there are supernatural elements in this episode, it's just that I feel this type of supernaturalism doesn't work for Indy, specifically Young Indy...Usually after watching YIJC, I felt like I learned something about history or the development of Indy or just had a good time watching the show, but after this I was left wondering "what the hell?:confused: It almost seems like this episode has too much supernatural stuff for Indiana Jones.

Well, ok, I can dig that. Since it's the only episode with supernatural elements, and they are piled on pretty thick, it does stand out. I liked the show for the reasons you dislike it; so it comes down to a matter of taste.

TC

metalinvader

Adamwankenobi said:
LOL, no. :p Read through this thread and you'll understand.

*shrudders* Good times! :p

I always loved the Transylvania episode.It has some great humor mixed in with it such as when Indy climbs that really high wall while everyone else uses the door.

I also love the concept of Indy's group.A group of people,Each with different abilities working as a team.Good stuff.

Man,I'm itching to watch this episode again..Maybe tomorrow!

Last edited:

tupogirl

metalinvader said:
*shrudders* Good times! :p

I always loved the Transylvania episode.It has some great humor mixed in with it such as when Indy climbs that really high wall while everyone else uses the door.

I forgot about that, lol.

I'm glad that the series at least touches on the supernatural. Since I came to be an Indy fan through Young Indy and didn't even see this episode until about 2001, I was *so* excited to find out how much of Indy was related to the supernatural. Outside of the Angels on the Front that people purported to see, I don't think they could have done it any other way on the series. Well... maybe the Jersey Devil. :p

Stoo

robweiner8 said:
Does anyone else feel that the Vlad episode of Young Indy is REALLY out of place? I don't feel that it fits the series. I didn't like it. I'm fine with magic coming out of the Ark, the stuff in ToD and the idea of aliens in the new movie, but vampires that can't die and evil Romanian rulers that have survied for 600 years doesn't seem to fit in Young Indy.
What do you all think?
"Transylvania" doesn't fit with the rest of the series but it does fit with the movies which is what makes it so damned cool!
I LOVE this episode. Too bad you can't get into it.
Avilos said:
The tone and feel of Transylvania reminds me of Temple of Doom.
When they reach the chamber in the tower, some serious "Doom" atmosphere is evoked!:dead:
metalinvader said:
I also love the concept of Indy's group.A group of people,Each with different abilities working as a team.Good stuff.
The team is excellent. Waters is a really, interesting character and the fact that he gets snuffed out so quickly makes the suspense all the more chilling!
The wall part is really funny and it's that strain of humour throughout the series that helps make it so great. Also cool to see Indy with a grappling hook!

tupogirl said:
I'm glad that the series at least touches on the supernatural.
Same here. I've always been fascinated by ball lightning phenomena and was glad to see some included.(y)
I also dig the ending of the new version which has been beefed up by adding the giant face to the explosion.

fommes

This is also one of my favourite episodes. I like how many of the 'spy' 'adventures' are each so different in tone in the series.

phantom train

The Transylvania segment of "Masks of Evil" was fantastic, and did really fit into the Young Indy mythos. I saw this for the first time recently (on the DVD), and was very impressed. It was both scary and suspenseful, with a lot of great visuals.