Masks of Evil (Transylvania)

Stoo

Hey, Rocket. As far as I can tell, the "Istanbul" segment is completely intact and "Transylvania" has been expanded. So nothing is missing from either of them. I really don't know what you will think of "Masks" should you ever see it...Some people hate it.:( (Ex. "Indy with vampires? That is SO NOT INDY!":rolleyes: ) However, you would probably like the Istanbul segment! No funny business.

If you ever do manage to see more episodes, this thread might interest you: Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^ Vampires don't fit in with Indy? Who the heck said that?

For what it's worth, I love Masks of Evil. It's definitely one of my favourites. It's got a very ToD feel to the second half. (y) I also love the first half as well though probably not as much as the second half (I have relatives that come from that area between Hungary and Romania, best known as Transylvania, an area of land that's been fought over between the Hungarians and Romanians for a very long time, so for all we know, I could be part vampire, :p ).

Lance Quazar

I only recently watched this episode for the first time, somehow I missed it during its initial run.

Man, the first half of the episode (non-Transylvania) was deadly boring. Dreadful.

The "bridging" section was a joke. Are all of those sequences as awkward as this one (I have seen very few of the re-cut two-part "movies" they released to DVD.)

However, the Transylvania part was mildly entertaining, if not great. There were some serious production problems that hindered by enjoyment, including the laughable effects for the "ball lightning" and the TERRIBLE production design for the interior of the castle.

Hadn't anyone SEEN a Dracula movie before? What was with all the pristine white walls? It looked like a condo complex in those corridors, not a creepy, crumbling Gothic castle. Eeesh!

Still, I enjoyed the darker aspects of it, there were some genuinely creep moments and the story had a reasonably fresh take on the Dracula mythos, which was cool.

It was neat to see Young Indy get his first glimpse of the supernatural and they did a good job in integrating it into the WWI setting.

There were some nice comic touches like Indy's insistence in climbing up the grappling hook.

All in all, a decent episode, but definitely compromised (as, I'm afraid, the vast majority of YIJ product is in one respect or another.)

Stoo

Violet Indy said:
^ Vampires don't fit in with Indy? Who the heck said that?
Someone actually said that. I kid you not. It's TRUE!!!;)

Violet Indy said:
I have relatives that come from that area between Hungary and Romania, best known as Transylvania, an area of land that's been fought over between the Hungarians and Romanians for a very long time, so for all we know, I could be part vampire, :p ).
You could put frangipanis on your coffin.:p

Morning Bell said:
Like others have mentioned, I enjoyed the Temple of Doom feel of this one. Creepy stuff.:whip:
Yeah, it's the blood-letting scene in the tower that does it for me.

Lance Quazar said:
I only recently watched this episode for the first time, somehow I missed it during its initial run.
-snip-
However, the Transylvania part was mildly entertaining, if not great.
"Transylvania" was 1 of the 4 episodes that didn't air in the U.S. so that might be the reason you missed it? As for being "great", I think that's a big compliment from a discriminating, hard-sell fan such as yourself.;) Glad you enjoyed it, Lance! It gets better with each viewing.

Another part I really like is the delivered box of dismembered body parts and then, later, the 3 men are seen missing their respective pieces.:dead:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
Someone actually said that. I kid you not. It's TRUE!!!;)

You could put frangipanis on your coffin.:p

Already did. :p And taped the YIJC map to the coffin too.... :p

100_0245.jpg

Ok. Spill. WHO said it? Would I be right if it were a certain TRUE FAN? :rolleyes:

Also note that I do actually have the "Masks of Evil" sticker on the map. It marks out Istanbul.

Montana Smith

Just watched 'Masks of Evil' - as I've been watching the DVDs in order I knew this one was coming, but couldn't imagine how it was going to fit in.

In terms of Indiana Jones the supernatural elements are to be expected. However, in terms of Young Indy, the emphasis until this point has really been educational and historical. 'Masks of Evil' is a complete shock when taken in the context of all the preceding episodes. It appears quite suddenly, as if from nowhere, and is as absurd as the Kafka episode. In fact, 'Masks' could be described as Kafkaesque, with Indy trying to rationalize every strange occurence, and refusing to believe at first that he is experiencing the supernatural.

It was in places full-on horror, with impaled corpses, blood seeping through the ceiling, a pair of burnt lower legs complete with blackened broken bones, the body parts in the box, and so on. More graphic than 'Raiders', and even rivalling the uncensored version of Mola's Ram's method of heart extraction.

This episode is an anomaly, but a good anomaly at that.

Montana Smith said:
Just watched 'Masks of Evil' - as I've been watching the DVDs in order I knew this one was coming, but couldn't imagine how it was going to fit in.

This episode is an anomaly, but a good anomaly at that.

Laird discusses this very subject, and Curse of the Jackal/ My First Adventure in this weeks IndyCast (93). Some behind the scenes content too...

There's a lot of establishing shots, walking and such, bu the sets and locations were pretty nice. The music was great...

lairdo

Yep I do. Love to hear everyone's thoughts on the content so I can enhance future segments.

Montana, you'll find I completely agree with you and have a way to look at it.

Montana Smith

lairdo said:
Montana, you'll find I completely agree with you and have a way to look at it.

Laird, I just listened to your comments on Indy Cast 93, and they add another facet. I never watched the original Young Indy on TV, apart from bits here and there, as they didn't interest me at the time. So, when the DVDs came out I didn't have an opinion on the missing bookends - but seeing 'Masks/Transylvania' in its original context as a ghost story gave it the option of being one of Indy's tall stories, and therefore better placed within the Young Indy series.

The way this episode now plays there is no doubt as to whether this was actual Indy history or an Indy ghost story. In its new format it appears misplaced amid the educational/historical nature of the surrounding episodes. If it was an actual part of Indy chronology, killing Vlad would be a defining moment in his biography, a genuine supernatural experience, yet it doesn't seem to have any lingering effect on him. Which implies that maybe this was an event that did not actually occur, but was invented by the older Indy.

Taking it to the extreme, you could even argue that the whole of Indy's incredible life-story, including the events in the movies, could be the tall tales told by an old man inventing his own history - that at least would explain his miraculous escapes, including the fridge!

In effect this was what Lucas was really doing - telling impossible stories, inspired by the impossible events of the cliffhanger pulps. It's stylistic, rather than naturalistic - and that's what makes it a great playground for adventure.

lairdo

Thanks Montana for listening to the segment, and I'm glad you found the ideas interesting. I don't think I would go all the way to suggest that the entire series is meant to be seen in this light of tall tales. However, for the episodes that do have an Old Indy (or even 50 year old Indy in Chicago), it is perfectly valid to suggest that he has embellished them. The films don't have the wrappers, so I wouldn't put them in the same category. And as I mention on the Podcast but don't explain all that well, in London, Old Indy does see Vickie again. If you haven't seen that segment (I know Stoo has put them up on Youtube), Old Indy hears "Deeds Not Words" spoken from offscreen at the end of the show and that's exactly what Vickie has been saying all episode. And of course, it turns out to be her 70 years later. So, there we have a flashback that ends with a character appearing, and it actually validates the episode. Of course, Indy still could have embellished all the details.

But what I do think you hit upon is how George thinks about these stories. In many ways, he was most inspired by Joseph Campbell. There is a great documentary with Bill Moyer interviewing Campbell at Skywalker Ranch from the late 80's just before Campbell died. They talk about Star Wars and Indy a bit. I'll have to dig it up and do a review for the Indycast.

In fact, mythology was so important to George, that the whole Luke & Leia saga is tied to old myths. My film teacher in high school who was a great inspiration in my life guessed what happened in Jedi before he saw it. I asked how he knew Leia was Luke's sister, and he said it was because he knew mythology.

One last thing to think about - the Paris 1919 episode has a newsreel opening which could actually argue for that makes Indy really part of history.

Best,

Laird

Montana Smith

lairdo said:
Thanks Montana for listening to the segment, and I'm glad you found the ideas interesting. I don't think I would go all the way to suggest that the entire series is meant to be seen in this light of tall tales. However, for the episodes that do have an Old Indy (or even 50 year old Indy in Chicago), it is perfectly valid to suggest that he has embellished them. The films don't have the wrappers, so I wouldn't put them in the same category.

I agree that it's a big leap to suddenly view the movies, TV series, books, comics etc as all the result of an old man's active imagination! But the idea occurred to me as I was writing the post above a little while ago. I like the idea of Indy being part of a real chronology, and events falling neatly into place, and whilst the tall story element would explain a lot of inexplicable events and coincidences (the miraculous escapes, the chance meetings with so many important personalities etc) it does take away a layer of depth, leaving behind just hollow inventions.

lairdo said:
But what I do think you hit upon is how George thinks about these stories. In many ways, he was most inspired by Joseph Campbell. There is a great documentary with Bill Moyer interviewing Campbell at Skywalker Ranch from the late 80's just before Campbell died. They talk about Star Wars and Indy a bit. I'll have to dig it up and do a review for the Indycast.

Definitely do that, Laird. I, for one, am always interested in discovering the ideas that lie behind stories.

lairdo said:
In fact, mythology was so important to George, that the whole Luke & Leia saga is tied to old myths. My film teacher in high school who was a great inspiration in my life guessed what happened in Jedi before he saw it. I asked how he knew Leia was Luke's sister, and he said it was because he knew mythology.

Yes, it's the strength of the embedded myths that make Star Wars such a powerful and enduring story. I've forgotten much of what I read on the mythology, but remember something about the significance of losing hands.

Indy is a mythic character. His adventures are larger than life, and if they aren't merely tall tales, I view him as occupying a world that isn't our own, one in which history has taken a slightly different path, and where physics operate differently. A lost world of supernatural adventure that we can no longer attain, similar to the golden age that the ancient Greeks looked back on, in which gods, demi-gods and heroes walked the earth.

Montana Smith said:
- but seeing 'Masks/Transylvania' in its original context as a ghost story gave it the option of being one of Indy's tall stories, and therefore better placed within the Young Indy series.

I hadn't thought of it in this way because I never saw the bookends...

lairdo said:
I don't think I would go all the way to suggest that the entire series is meant to be seen in this light of tall tales...

Since listening to your stories, I'm getting the distinct impression that while it has that common narrative thread, they each seem to be unique stand alone adventures. I read about the writers conferences recently and though they collaborated somewhat, they were all driven, (and picked) to tell the stories with their own unique voices/backgrounds, (which I'm sure George pared down)

Campbell on Indy sounds interesting.
Montana Smith said:
I agree that it's a big leap to suddenly view the movies, TV series, books, comics etc as all the result of an old man's active imagination! But the idea occurred to me as I was writing the post above a little while ago. I like the idea of Indy being part of a real chronology, and events falling neatly into place, and whilst the tall story element would explain a lot of inexplicable events and coincidences (the miraculous escapes, the chance meetings with so many important personalities etc) it does take away a layer of depth, leaving behind just hollow inventions.

You could say they "tall tales" parts of the story could be embellished or simply honestly perceived, (who knows what you're really seeing when you're "scared out of your wits"). To understand he was one a teacher and maybe trying to recapture a little of the magic of his youth, (the great unknown) the bookends really ARE indispensible.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
You could say they "tall tales" parts of the story could be embellished or simply honestly perceived, (who knows what you're really seeing when you're "scared out of your wits"). To understand he was one a teacher and maybe trying to recapture a little of the magic of his youth, (the great unknown) the bookends really ARE indispensible.

I finished watching all the episodes of Young Indy (all three volumes) this morning, and the ones that stand out as different are 'Masks/Transylvania' and the slapstick/absurd Kafka episode. Without the benefit of the bookends the viewer doesn't get the chance to decide whether these ought to be seen as part of Indy's history, or whether they are lessons for the kids that Indy tries to educate.

The only bookend that remains is Harrison Ford in 'Mystery of the Blues', and that's kind of a special episode that can be slotted neatly into the chronology before KOTCS (assuming that Indy let his hair and beard grow longer in 1950 cos it was cold!)

lairdo

Regarding Indy's beard, I'm sure you know, but just in case, it's because he was filming the fugitive at the time. And the reason it's in Wyoming is because he was home from filming in Chicago and that was part of the deal for letting him be in the show.

As I recall, NY 1920 never had any bookends, so that on DVD is the same as it was aired. And of course anything after season 2 that aired on the Family Channel (like Travels with Father and the Attack of the Hawkman) also never had bookends.

I've looked at some of StooTV, but I am not sure if they are complete. I am going to go through my copies of the show made at the time we finished the broadcast versions to check. It's one of those things on my list...

I like your idea Montana of the parallel but slightly different reality. That's a neat place to fit in Indy. I would extend that to the books and comics to some extent too and that their realities aren't identical to the shows and movies. At least we don't have a lot of Retconning going on.

Joosse

I have only just seen the episode, and wasn't very happy with it originally. But having read about the bookends here, that does indeed place it in a very different light.

Makes me feel a whole lot better about the episode. :D

I agree with Montana as well, Indy takes place in a world of it's own. Didn't the West End Games roleplaying version mention something like that as well?

Junior Jones

lairdo said:
As I recall, NY 1920 never had any bookends, so that on DVD is the same as it was aired.

This is true in the US, but there were bookends that aired in Europe. It was broadcast there as two episodes. You can find the bookends in Chapter 7 of the Old Indy Chronicles on StooTV.

lairdo said:
I've looked at some of StooTV, but I am not sure if they are complete. I am going to go through my copies of the show made at the time we finished the broadcast versions to check. It's one of those things on my list...

StooTV is almost complete. I think there's only one (or two?) episodes left which Stoo hasn't gotten to yet. Note that it's not just a collection of bookends, but Stoo edited them together to made "episodes" of Old Indy's adventures. There's often more than one set of bookends in an "episode". So for example, Chapter 7 starts out with Indy's visit to a Manhattan museum where he recounts his adventure in Petrograd, then he continues on to a Broadway theather to take in a show. I'm sure Stoo can explain what he's aiming for better than I.

Phil Anderson
(I'm going to try to remember to start signing my posts so as not to be confused with the other JuniorJones with no space.)

Montana Smith

Joosse said:
I agree with Montana as well, Indy takes place in a world of it's own. Didn't the West End Games roleplaying version mention something like that as well?

West End Game's 'The World of Indiana Jones' refers to the movie serials of the 1930s as being "...all about escape...America and much of the rest of the world was in the grip of a Depression and people longed for an escape from their problems. They found them in the thrills of the movie serial..."

Escapist entertainment conjures up a world of opportunity, just as the Greeks longed for a lost golden age (that never really existed, of course).

IndyBr

I like it.
It's diferent from the other episodes, but it's good.
The first time I watched it I was surprised, I didn't expect a scary episode like that in the series.
I didn't find it out of place, Indy has encounters with a lot of supernatural creatures and artifacts, there are the zombies in the Army of the Dead, the ghosts in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Dragon in Emperor's Tomb (and the other Dragon in the marvel comic "Dragon by the Tail"), the blood of Kali that turned people in Thugge, and much more.
It was indeed over the top for a series that was aimed at children, but I like the episode.
And it's a interesting conception of a Vampire, as someone (don't remeber who) already said.