Young Indy Reference in KOTCS?

TalonCard

Adamwankenobi said:
Or maybe his love of baseball:

Mutt: "I uh, noticed that basebal trophy on your desk. I didn't know squares like you had time for that kind of stuff."

Indy: "Yeah, when I was young I was on my high school baseballl team... look kid, I once traded some cards to Leo Tolstoy."

Mutt: "Who's that?"

Indy: "Didn't you ever go to English class?"

Mutt: "Well yeah, but-"

Indy: "History class?"

Mutt: "Yeah. Now about those crystal skulls..."

;)

Mutt would know about Tolstoy. C'mon, people, give Mutt a chance...

TC

tupogirl

TalonCard said:
Mutt would know about Tolstoy. C'mon, people, give Mutt a chance...

TC

The more I find out about Mutt, the more I like him! Having said that, I was a good student, a hard core reader and I have only really heard about Tolstoy on my own, post high school. I still haven't seen the episode with him either, but that was a big reason why I *had* to get Volume 1. TOLSTOY!

There is also a new book out now about his wife, Sophia. She was a photographer and this book has many of her photos and journal writings. Can't think of the name of it though. She really struggled with his belief systems and all of the peasants he brought home! Fascinating story. And she was a very good photographer and very ahead of her times with her art.

Avilos

Poster drwynn has confirmed that the line in the novelization IS IN THE MOVIE! (y)

This is fantastic! I imagine this was George's doing!

metalinvader

Avilos said:
Poster drwynn has confirmed that the line in the novelization IS IN THE MOVIE! (y)

HA! HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!:D

This sure puts a the nail in coffin of the "canon'' debate!

Looks like we won today,Kids!(y)

Avilos

SPOILERS!!!!!!

The reference they choose was perfect. "Curse of the Jackal" was the Pilot. Its the moment he mets Remy and leads to them fighting in WWI. Its a pivotal moment in his life. Its legitimizes(not that it needed it! ;) ) the whole series!!!!! With Indy and Mutt's journey starting in Mexico it was a natural for Indy to mention his first trip to the country.

It sets up that "Old Indy" likes to tell people about his youth. Also that he likes to name drop about famous people he has met!!! LOL! Which is funny because Indy meeting famous people is one of the things the show was most criticized for. Yet here the new movie references him meeting a famous person as kid!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:

(y) (y) (y) (y) This has made me a happy man! I had hoped for something like this for soooooo long. It's the ultimate gift to us die hard YIJC fans. Thank you George Lucas! :hat:

metalinvader said:
This sure puts a the nail in coffin of the "canon'' debate!

Yes it does! :)

Last edited:

NoCamels

Yay! (y) (y)

Although, personally I was expecting a reference to one of the Russian episodes. By the way, one of Indy's friends (the girlfriend of the revolutionary who dies) in Petrograd is named Irina. (coincidence? probably :) )

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
SPOILERS!!!!!!

The reference they choose was perfect. "Curse of the Jackal" was the Pilot. Its the moment he mets Remy and leads to them fighting in WWI. Its a pivotal moment in his life. Its legitimizes(not that it needed it! ;) ) the whole series!!!!! With Indy and Mutt's journey starting in Mexico it was a natural for Indy to mention his first trip to the country.

It sets up that "Old Indy" likes to tell people about his youth. Also that he likes to name drop about famous people he has met!!! LOL! Which is funny because Indy meeting famous people is one of the things the show was most criticized for. Yet here the new movie references him meeting a famous person as kid!!!!!!!

It also shows that he isn't like the old woman from Titanic; instead he tells his stories to multiple people throughout his life.

Avilos

Which fits with Daredevils of the Desert where he tells the Lighthorsemen
that he flew with Houdini in Australia. And they look at him like "Yeah, right...." :D

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
Which fits with Daredevils of the Desert where he tells the Lighthorsemen
that he flew with Houdini in Australia. And they look at him like "Yeah, right...." :D

That goes well with the "Germany, Mid-Auguest 1916" bookends, where Old Indy is being put in jail, and before the bars close says "I knew Houdini!".

Also, since there were Old Indy bookends filmed for the "Mystery of the Blues" story in addition to Ford's bookends, I guess that counts too.

Stoo

Coup de Grace

Avilos said:
The reference they choose was perfect. "Curse of the Jackal" was the Pilot. Its the moment he mets Remy and leads to them fighting in WWI. Its a pivotal moment in his life. Its legitimizes(not that it needed it! ;) ) the whole series!!!!!
GREAT NEWS!!! I can't word it any better than you have so won't even bother!(y)
Avilos said:
Which is funny because Indy meeting famous people is one of the things the show was most criticized for. Yet here the new movie references him meeting a famous person as kid!!!!!!!
It's the beginning of the Ford 2 Hall transition...
(y) (y) (y) (y) This has made me a happy man! I had hoped for something like this for soooooo long. It's the ultimate gift to us die hard YIJC fans. Thank you George Lucas! :hat:
YOUNG INDY FANS REJOICE!!!!!! At long last...TRIUMPH!:cool:

Avilos

I won't say more than what is already here. But the reference IS SO SPECIFIC!!! Actually describing what happened in the episode! It's amazing! I was always certain there would a reference to Young Indy over all these years. But never one as big as this!

Of course cynical types will say its a big advertisement for the DVDs! LOL! :D

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
I won't say more than what is already here. But the reference IS SO SPECIFIC!!! Actually describing what happened in the episode! It amazing! I was always certain there would a reference to Young Indy over all these years. But never one as big as this!

Of course cynical types will say its a big advertisement for the DVDs! LOL! :D

I finally saw it! I was pleasantly surprised at
how long Indy goes on about it! And Mutt's initial reaction is priceless: "Bull****!".
(y)

tupogirl

Adamwankenobi said:
how long Indy goes on about it! And Mutt's initial reaction is priceless: "Bull****!".
(y)

Bwahaha! I thought there were a ton of references. I loved it. Loved it!!! Want to see it again RIGHT NOW!

Crack that whip

Adamwankenobi said:
(y)

I loved that as well. Just imagine if
Indy had gone on to tell him about all those other adventures from the show...

(of course, for that matter, Mutt's probably going to react the same way when Indy tells him about the Sankara stones, the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail - well, he might if not for their having done this Crystal Skull thing together, anyway...)

IndyAJA77

I hope those of you who were looking for Young Indy references in KoTCS were satisfied. I just happened to read this thread before seeing it last night and I'm glad I did, because it made me more in tune with those types of references. As I'm sure some people may real this before they get to see the movie, I won't say any more.