The Young Indy Chronicles were really really bad...

tupogirl

Do they crackle with milk? If you have an extra bowl, I'll take one. Extra sugar, please!

Why yes, Mr Flanery, they DO! Rice Krispies with sugar is quite delicious. And I found your old skool milk commercial on you tube. Also, I am Margaret Tyzack and I had a commendable experience working on this show.

tupogirl

Traditional Cherry Pie

A Midwest favorite that always gets rave reviews.

4 cups frozen unsweetened tart cherries
1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca or
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Pastry for 2-crust, 9-inch pie
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Combine cherries, granulated sugar, tapioca (or flour) and almond extract in a large mixing bowl; mix well. (It is not necessary to thaw cherries before using.) Let cherry mixture stand 15 minutes.

Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; fill with cherry mixture. Dot with butter. Adjust top crust, cutting slits for steam to escape.

Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven 50 to 55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.

Makes 8 servings.

Note: 2 (16-ounce) cans unsweetened tart cherries, well drained, can be substituted for frozen tart cherries.

Marty McFly

I can understand why some people wouldn't like the show, but at the very least you have to admit it was an extremly well made show. You'll never see a TV show with such high production values, and they shot everything on location traveling all around the world. The show doesn't look like a TV show, it looks like a movie. And I think the acting for the most part was pretty good. I think Lloyd Owen did a really good Connery. and it some very talented actors and actress's who would become very famous in the years to come, such as Daniel Craig, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Elizabeth Hurley. You can tell a lot of hard work went into this show.

T.E.Lawrence

Stoo said:
Bashing "Crystal Skull" wasn't enough for Mr. Tree so he had to come here and start chewing out the "Chronicles".:rolleyes:

The truth of the bashing paradigm is that in fact the bashers are afraid of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles :)

Young Indy is a mysterious land of undiscovered treasures...that is why it is so hard to make a public bashing step on Young Indy. The negativists are sensing deep inside that something is there...They can't explain what because you have to learn the facts though 33 hours. But bashing is alywas the ultimate goal even if you can't check the subject deeply :) Altough there is a strange feeling of danger still the bashing instincts are more stronger at the end :D

Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down
the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny :D

Last edited:

tupogirl

Peacock's-Eye said:
Are there actually any Mods on these boards?

It's like City of the Trolls these days...

(n)

That's when you start posting recipes or random bits cut and pasted from other boards. We have a poster named 'cherry eye' who does that on my other one because the mods are a complete joke over there (and it's a business). But I digress.

Stoo

Peacock's-Eye said:
Are there actually any Mods on these boards?

It's like City of the Trolls these days...

(n)
Yes, there are, but I suspect there's not much that can be done these days as it would be like fighting a tsunami...
As for the Young Indy board, in my 3 years here I can only recall one time where a moderator had to step in.
(CLASSIC thread!:p)

Indy&HanFan

i wasn't even born yet when they started so i don't know a whole lot about the series. i wish i could've watched it though.

muttjones

Jeepers Creepers. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

when he says that line its so annoying it makes my head hurt!!!!

and btw in the curse of the jackal episode, why did the kids at the start stay and listen to old indy's story when they had no interest at all

Stoo

muttjones said:
and btw in the curse of the jackal episode, why did the kids at the start stay and listen to old indy's story when they had no interest at all
Because Indy threatened to clobber them with his cane!:eek:

Really? One time? Wow! Stoo I feel deeply honoured that I was part of that one and only time! Fantastic!

Anyway. Thats the only way you're gonna get me to comment on this silly thread.

But yeah. FUN TIMES!!:whip:

Crack that whip

Flannery10 said:
Hi, I'm Harrison Ford and I really like "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles". Surprised, eh? And I know that there are a lot of people who agree with me. It was a great show my old buddy George created, and I'm happy that I could be part of it.

Oh, and Stoo, just in case you're really Sean Patrick Flanery, could I have your autograph? I really liked the way how you played my younger self in the Young Indy Chronicles. :hat: ;)

Harrison "Indy" Ford:whip:

Stoo said:
Damn, the jig is up! My cover has been blown. (Seriously, though, I'm not The Flan Man. I'm really Batoulat - Toddler Indy!):p

tupogirl said:
Why yes, Mr Flanery, they DO! Rice Krispies with sugar is quite delicious. And I found your old skool milk commercial on you tube. Also, I am Margaret Tyzack and I had a commendable experience working on this show.

Oh, dear - would you believe I've only just realized I never posted in this thread myself? As it happens, I, too, love the Chronicles - as well I should, being Lloyd Owen and all.

And as luck would have it, I am also Roshan Seth, and I must say in my honest if perhaps biased opinion Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is quite underrated - as is The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (lest we forget this important point), most particularly the "Morocco 1917" episode.

Furthermore I will add my opinions regarding these Indy adventures are in no way influenced by my personal involvement in them; after all, I do not extend quite such generous appraisals to Radioland Murders and Howard the Duck, despite my singularly privileged identity as both Brian Benben and Chip Zien. I do, however, speak to you as Ken Ogata and advise you all in the strongest possible terms to check out Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters at your earliest opportunity.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Of course, I love the Chronicles, why wouldn't I?

Well, yeah, there is no Marion...

....No Abner either.....

.....But there always is.....

MATA HARI!!!!!

:p

This was no way endorsed by James Luceno or George Lucas.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
Yes, there are, but I suspect there's not much that can be done these days as it would be like fighting a tsunami...
As for the Young Indy board, in my 3 years here I can only recall one time where a moderator had to step in.
(CLASSIC thread!:p)

There was one other time...... one word: CANON...... Now, that was classic.

:cool:

phantom train

I've seen this thread for a while here, and wanted to finally respond by editing and re-posting a reply I made to another thread about why this show wasn't more popular.

First of all, I wanted to say that I may be one of the more hardcore YIJC fans on this board. I think the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" is definitely one of the greatest TV dramas of all time, and I actually think some of the episodes are better than the IJ films. Also, I think that Volumes 1-3 of the YIJ DVD sets that are among the top ten TV DVD releases in 2007/2008.

That being said, however, I completely understand why the "general public" (primarily in the US) either didn't like the show, or just didn't "get" it:

* Anyone expecting the show to be a smaller, TV version of the films was dissapointed. In general, the show was not meant to be like the action packed adventures that we saw in the films, but a slower paced journey through the history and events of the early 20th century. Lucas even stated this in interviews given at the time the show came out.
That being said, many of the episodes (and later tele-films) were
action packed, especially the ones that focused on WW I battles.

* I think the educational aspects of the film turned some/many people off. I even remember a friend at the time mentioning that they would have liked the show better if Lucas didn't try to make it "educational". Of course, that was one of the whole points of the show, which was lost on many.

* The fact that Indy met a lot of historical figures seemed far-fetched to some people, as has been mentioned. I had no problem with this, and found it made the show more interesting. After all, it is a TV show and IJ is a larger-than-life heroic character anyway, as seen from the films. So, I took these meetings with historical figures with a grain of salt, and saw Indy as a guide through the 20th century - we were seeing the events/historical figures through his eyes and from his perspective.

* The non-chronological airing of the episodes (when they were originally shown) was probably confusing to many. First you saw Indy as late-teenager, then as a little kid - then you saw him fighting in WW I, then in New Jersey going to High School, then as a spy in WW I, etc. Because of the nature of the shooting schedule, I don't think that they could've shown the episodes chronologically - however, most mainstream audiences don't like seeing TV shows that way.

* The WW I aspect of the show probably didn't go over too well with a US audience, since WW I was not a huge deal in the US (the US only got offically involved in the last year of that war). However, I think the show did very well over in Europe, which was greatly affected by WW I.

All this being said, the same reasons that the show didn't do well are the exact reasons that I liked it. It was a completely original, big-budget historical TV show that showed the audience some of the defining and important events at the beginning of the 20th century.

Hopefully the show has found (or will find) a new audience on DVD. Watching the tele-films on DVD is probably the best way to watch the show, since they are being released in chronological order and make the most sense when viewed in that order.

indyclone25

i was hoping that they would show them again on the history channel

update : i just checked the history channel and they said no listings for the next two weeks ----so it's possible they may have them on again

Flannery10

Nurhachi1991 said:
anyone that does not like the Young Indy Chronicles deserves to die.......

Also the wrong approach, trying to convince people their point is wrong by violence.

phantomtrain, I really liked your summary of why people usually choose to dislike The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I think it's sad that this brilliant series is always compared to the action-packed movies, since it is really something different.

DIrishB

Violet Indy said:
Of course, I love the Chronicles, why wouldn't I?

Well, yeah, there is no Marion...

....No Abner either.....

But...there's no Abner in anything...other than a few mentions in Raiders (and maybe a mention in an expanded universe comic or novel).

;)

No Abner in anything...makes me sad.

:(

I'd like to finally meet Abner...