The Young Indy Chronicles were really really bad...

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
As it happens, I, too, love the Chronicles - as well I should, being Lloyd Owen and all.
And as luck would have it, I am also Roshan Seth,
Pleasure to know both of you.:hat: I wonder if Wolf Kahler and Kevork Mailkyan are posting incognito as well...;)

Violet Indy said:
There was one other time...... one word: CANON...... Now, that was classic.
:cool:
Yep, classic indeed!;) (Although it might not have been in the Young Indy forum...I could be mistaken.)

Nurhachi1991 said:
anyone that does not like the Young Indy Chronicles deserves to die.......
:confused:
metalinvader said:
No kidding,Dude.To think we came so close...
Yes. If Abner has a name, it must be Wilford Brimley!(y)

metalinvader

Stoo said:
Yes. If Abner has a name, it must be Wilford Brimley!(y)

Abner never bit the dust in no freakin' avalanche.He was on Endor this whole time...

Noa_briqualon.jpg

Gear heads rejoice!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
metalinvader said:
Abner never bit the dust in no freakin' avalanche.He was on Endor this whole time...

Noa_briqualon.jpg

Gear heads rejoice!

Maybe he somehow found a Crystal Skull alien ship in Nepal and got spirited away through to another dimension? :rolleyes: Evidently you would go crazy when you've got no one but kids and fuzzballs to talk to and a spaceship called "the Ark"? OMG. He is Abner!

*sigh* The comic book wasn't the only time we got close. There was at least a treatment for a Season 3 episode "Jerusalem, 1909" where Young Indy meets Abner at a dig for the very first time. The same year according to the Ultimate Guide, Marion was born.... cue twilight zone theme. It's all the ABC's fault! If they hadn't of axed it, *sob* we would have an episode with Abner!

DIrishB

metalinvader said:

So close...yet still so far!

Violet Indy said:
*sigh* The comic book wasn't the only time we got close. There was at least a treatment for a Season 3 episode "Jerusalem, 1909" where Young Indy meets Abner at a dig for the very first time. The same year according to the Ultimate Guide, Marion was born.... cue twilight zone theme. It's all the ABC's fault! If they hadn't of axed it, *sob* we would have an episode with Abner!

I'd forgotten about that. I know there were plans for Young Indy to meet a younger Belloq, and possibly Sallah as well (if I remember correctly). I'd have loved to see how they'd have approached that.

Crack that whip

Violet Indy said:

Blasted network, cancelling my show! (n)

Ah, well. I at least tried to do my part, writing ABC more than once to express my support after it became apparent the show was in peril of cancellation. I'm sure I probably had no real effect, but I like to think I helped it last at least a tiny bit longer...

DIrishB

muttjones said:
i havent watched them yet but i get the complete series from my friend tomorrow so it should be good:D

I was never a big fan of the Corey Carrier episodes, though Travels With Father is awesome (mainly due to Max Von Syndow as Leo Tolstoy) and hilarious. Probably one of the best overall.

The Sean Patrick Flannery episodes taking place during WWI are all pretty good, some better than others.

Overall, though, the show is definitly worth watching if you're an Indy fan.

Goonie

DIrishB said:
I was never a big fan of the Corey Carrier episodes, though Travels With Father is awesome (mainly due to Max Von Syndow as Leo Tolstoy) and hilarious. Probably one of the best overall.

Michael Gough played Leo Tolstoy.

Flannery10

I'm sorry, that I haven't posted on this board for such a long time, but I had a pretty bussy summer. I've been to New Orleans for a couple weeks (a really great place, really recoverd after Hurricane Kathrina) and it's definetely worth a visit.

I've also posted a review of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on the IMBD. Under the following link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103586/usercomments-22 you can read it. Please give it a good rating or let me know if you think something needs to be added. If it gets many good reviews, it appears on the main page more often.

This summer has also been great movie-wise (Indy 4, The Mummy III, The Dark Knight...) and now I decided to watch the whole Young Indiana Jones boxsets in a row (in the order they aired). So let's get the DVD player runnin'.(y)

vf wing

Well, I have just acquired the entire show this week, the same day I bought the Best Buy KOTCS with the Crystal Skull. It was a leap of faith, considering that I didn't care that much for the show back in the day. But it was for those typical sorts of reasons, namely comparing it directly to the movies and noticing there wasn't that much action involved. It was also tough to accept no Harrison Ford, as his presence is really what makes the films work.

I don't remember ever really giving the show a fair chance. I think I may have watched an entire episode, and I seem to remember seeking it out once more when I heard Harrison himself would be popping up. But, to be fair, most of my TV watching days were behind me by that point. I think one of the things that killed TV in general for me was the commercials and how they break up the flow of a program.

I have obviously changed and grown in the 15 or so years since I last watched any of it. (I still don't go for commercials, tho!) With the mention of events from the show in the new movie this summer, and my zeal for all things Indy reaching a zeitgeist thru the release of an action figure line, the time seemed right to finally plunge back into this show.

What I have seen of it has been very engaging! They really nail aspects of the characters. Indy always seems like himself, albeit at a younger age. He possesses an overwhelming sense of curiousity and a penchant for getting himself into trouble. The idea of him always escaping from his nanny is already becoming a staple of the plot just two tele-films in, but I can deal. And the educational aspects of the DVD sets are probably the biggest treat of all.

It's heartbreaking to read this thread and realize what more we could have gotten had the series continued, but I'm now very thankful to have what we did get!

indyclone25

vf wing said:
Well, I have just acquired the entire show this week, the same day I bought the Best Buy KOTCS with the Crystal Skull. It was a leap of faith, considering that I didn't care that much for the show back in the day. But it was for those typical sorts of reasons, namely comparing it directly to the movies and noticing there wasn't that much action involved. It was also tough to accept no Harrison Ford, as his presence is really what makes the films work.

I don't remember ever really giving the show a fair chance. I think I may have watched an entire episode, and I seem to remember seeking it out once more when I heard Harrison himself would be popping up. But, to be fair, most of my TV watching days were behind me by that point. I think one of the things that killed TV in general for me was the commercials and how they break up the flow of a program.

I have obviously changed and grown in the 15 or so years since I last watched any of it. (I still don't go for commercials, tho!) With the mention of events from the show in the new movie this summer, and my zeal for all things Indy reaching a zeitgeist thru the release of an action figure line, the time seemed right to finally plunge back into this show.

What I have seen of it has been very engaging! They really nail aspects of the characters. Indy always seems like himself, albeit at a younger age. He possesses an overwhelming sense of curiousity and a penchant for getting himself into trouble. The idea of him always escaping from his nanny is already becoming a staple of the plot just two tele-films in, but I can deal. And the educational aspects of the DVD sets are probably the biggest treat of all.

It's heartbreaking to read this thread and realize what more we could have gotten had the series continued, but I'm now very thankful to have what we did get!

ahhh but harrison did make an appearence in the mystery of the blues

Vfwing, wait til you get to the war years, please keep up a commentary on how you're finding the show, Converts on this board are strangely rare but fantastic..

vf wing

I have been waiting all summer, since hearing about the last sale right before the movie's release. I couldn't bring myself to pay the full price, but at 50 bucks per, I couldn't resist! I look forward to discussing specific episodes, but will refrain until I become more familiar with them.

Don't spoil me indyclone! I can remember seeing Harrison in one of the eps vaguely, but it's been a long, long time. Look at me, I didn't even read where you revealed which one it'll be :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: I was nodding off! ;)

Not Drinking the Kool Aid...The Hitler Youth Lives!

Wow, Mob rules! We'll have no dissent here!

Young Indy Youth, I hate these Guys!

You guys and gals should be ashamed of yourselves!

So he started the thread off abrasively!

What kind of enlightenment are you offering?

Your blind allegiance is mind numbing!

What a crappy receipie!

There are MANY good things about the Chronicles.

Surely you can think of SOMETHING the series lacked!

One glaring omission was John Williams. The Young Indy Music was WEAK!

:dead:

Junior Jones

Rocket Surgeon said:
Wow, Mob rules! We'll have no dissent here!

Surely you can think of SOMETHING the series lacked!

Of course The Young Indy Chronicles were not perfect, and no one here is saying they are. But I don't think there are grounds to say that "The Young Indy Chronicles were really really bad..."

Rocket Surgeon said:
One glaring omission was John Williams. The Young Indy Music was WEAK!

I disagree. I love the Young Indy music. I have all four volumes of the soundtrack releases and I listen to them all the time. My Indy playlist has the four movie soundtracks and the four Young Indy albums, and there's no jarring difference when I play it on "shuffle". Of course John Williams is amazine, but Joel McNeely and Laurence Rosenthal are far from weak!

DoomTown

Junior Jones said:
Of course The Young Indy Chronicles were not perfect, and no one here is saying they are. But I don't think there are grounds to say that "The Young Indy Chronicles were really really bad..."

I disagree. I love the Young Indy music. I have all four volumes of the soundtrack releases and I listen to them all the time. My Indy playlist has the four movie soundtracks and the four Young Indy albums, and there's no jarring difference when I play it on "shuffle". Of course John Williams is amazine, but Joel McNeely and Laurence Rosenthal are far from weak!

I don't think he's saying the music was BAD...just weak. Lots of stuff is weak when compared to John Williams Indy scores...I for one, love "Young Indy". Not a perfect series, but there was a lot of passion behind it,and as a lover of history,I thought it was great to learn a bit more about it with a character I already love intertwined within those events...Shame it didn't last longer, would have like to have seen the much talked about Belloq/Crystal Skull episode,and Young Indy's first meeting with Abner...;)