Filming Locations

MDew

I thought it would be cool to figure out where some of the existing real-world locations are from the show, that's something that's hard to find information on. I know much of the interiors were created on stages, so the main goal is the exterior locations (that aren't matte paintings). It's fairly easy to find a list of cities & countries they filmed in but how about some specific locales? Some are obvious (Great Wall of China, Pyramids in Egypt, duh..) but others will take some research. I've started taking a bunch of screens from the show for research purposes, which maybe I'll put up on a page for reference.
I started a Google Map that we can collaborate on as we find places. I've added a few to get the ball rolling:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...513618165275458.00047d608b79b4618a76a&t=h&z=3

MDew

Oops - yeah I forgot that if anyone wants to edit it I have to give them an invite. So if you've got something to add, PM me on here & I'll give you permission. Film location hunting's always been a hobby of mine, and this one promises to be a challenge! I'll put all the reference photos I can here, so check back:
http://csroadtrips.5u.com/youngindy.html

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Just looked thrugh the book, 'George Lucas: The Creative Impulse', and couldn't find much about detailed locations (as it generally names only countries or cities).

This was the best I could find:

Passion for Life (Picasso & Degas): a six-person crew shot documentary-like footage around the Louvre in Paris and other locations for authenticity.

Travels with Father: 14 locations in Greece including the Acropolis. The cage was photographed in Meteori (the action created digitially in Prague and London).

Spring Break Adventure (Pancho Villa): Shot on locations in Spain used by Lawrence of Arabia.

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye: Trobriand Islands, off southeast New Guinea.

Hollywood Follies: Fillmore (is that the one of the passenger train scenes?)

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
It should, yes, were it comprehensive. But a quick glance at the site reveals that it's got nothing on Young Indy.

I'm glad it's not just me then. I couldn't find any Young Indy either.

Indy Geek

I used this site to search the locations of my Indy fav movie - The Last Crusade. Sorry could not be more helpful.

Cheers!

Montana Smith

Indy Geek said:
I used this site to search the locations of my Indy fav movie - The Last Crusade. Sorry could not be more helpful.

Cheers!

Indy Geek, it looks a very useful site in any case, so thanks for putting up the link. I've added it to my ever growing list of favourites. :hat:

MDew

Montana Smith said:
Just looked thrugh the book, 'George Lucas: The Creative Impulse', and couldn't find much about detailed locations (as it generally names only countries or cities).
Oh yeah, I forgot about that book. I also went through the Young Indy behind the scenes book, but it only had vague details as well. It mentioned the Maasai Mara game preserve in Kenya, as well as the village they built on the Tana River, near the Somalia border in Kenya. The cast & crew stayed on the island of Lamu, on the eastern coast.

This is probably common knowledge, but the truck chase in the opening of Mystery of the Blues was supposedly filmed on roads on or near Harrison Ford's ranch near Jackson Hole, WY.

The Mexico scenes in Spring Break Adventure were filmed in Almeria, Spain at the same area they shot the tank scene in Last Crusade.

Well I know most of the locations in Dublin where 'Ireland 1916' was filmed. In front of Dublin Castle, on O'Connell St in front of the GPO, inside Trinity College. As for London 1916 the opening shot of Indy and Remy arriving in front of Big Ben is , naturally, right next to big ben, on the steps across the road next to the river. Alot of episodes set in towns or various cities appear to have been filmed in prague, such as the town he parachutes down into in Attack of the Hawkmen.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Sounds fun - invite me?

One of the establishing shots of Barcelona is here, I believe:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&....41407,2.152449&spn=0.00065,0.001346&t=h&z=20
Sir Tash is correct!:D Also in the establishing Barcelona shots are the Sagrada Familia (that funky looking church designed by Gaudi) and a shot of the waterfront with the column of Christopher Columbus. I *might* be back there at the begninning of May and will look for more, if I go. (Visited one of the bull-rings there but don't think it was the right one.)
MDew said:
Oops - yeah I forgot that if anyone wants to edit it I have to give them an invite. So if you've got something to add, PM me on here & I'll give you permission. Film location hunting's always been a hobby of mine, and this one promises to be a challenge! I'll put all the reference photos I can here, so check back:
http://csroadtrips.5u.com/youngindy.html
Yes, I would like editing permissions. I'll PM you but my Raven Inbox is always full!
Passion for Life (Picasso & Degas): a six-person crew shot documentary-like footage around the Louvre in Paris and other locations for authenticity.
The opening sequence of Paris also has a shot of Indy & Ms. Seymour on the bank of the Seine just behind (SE) Notre Dame cathedral + another of them at the fountains of Place de la Concorde. The shot of them in the carriage is in the park next to the Eiffel Tower. (I should go through my personal photos because it's possible I have some similar angles.)

Prague: When Indy meets with his contact at the vendor stand, it's at the north bank of the St. Charles bridge (but the shots are FLIPPED/REVERSED!:eek:)

Followed up on some hunches, and some in depth stills analysis to locate Bray head as the location of Indy's sea side date with Maggie. Plus the hotel with the beach front is there too. Good old Google Earth!

Stoo

Here's a quote from Turkish Ravenhead, Lando, about some of the locations (from this thread: Mask of Evil (İstanbul))
Lando said:
Ok first of all Blue Mosque also known as Sultan Ahmet mosque is one the populer touristic place in İstanbul and there is Ayasofya mosque right next to blue mosquie which was initially a church but changed into intresting place like both mosque and church....

Another place in movie was Pera Palace one of the oldiest hotel in istanbul founded in 1892

And streets are mostly cihangir, backside of Beyoğlu and İstiklal street.
Jeremiah Jones also mentioned the Roman cisterns & that the fight chase/fight on the domed rooftop could be the Blue Mosque...

@Jeremiah: In a couple/few weeks, I *may* be back in London!(y)

MDew

Nice work guys, thanks for the help. Yeah I've found Google Earth/Maps an invaluable tool for this project, as well as Bing Maps since it has the 3D perspective view rather than just a top-down angle. It is a bit like a treasure hunt...

Stoo

Sounds like a plan, Jeremiah!:D I'll let you know...

@Mountain Dew: Forgot to mention that the bookends were shot in & around Wilmington, North Carolina. It also looks like some of "Princeton 1916" was, too. Here's a message someone sent me (2 years ago) on my YouTube account which should be of interest to all.

"Yes, it was June 1992. I was working down at Fort Caswell, about a 45 min. drive from Wilmington. My girlfriend (now my wife) came down to visit for the weekend, and we drove into Wilmington Friday night to go walk around the historic waterfront. On our way into town, I noticed hand-written signs on various telephone poles, arrows pointing the way, inscribed with "Young Indy." Being a big Star Wars/Indy, I of course followed the signs, which were leading down to the waterfront/historic district (our destination). A quick glance down a side street revealed a production truck. I quickly doubled back around the block, parked near the truck, and walked up the street to where an intersecting street was blocked off. The blocked-off street was adorned with a few extras in period gear, some camera/production stuff, and a horse pulling a car. (This was the scene in which Indy is riding the horse towing the car). It was apparent the scene had just wrapped shooting, as people seemed to be scattering. And there, chatting with 2 or 3 other men, was George Lucas. I proceeded to geek out. My girlfriend and I stood there and watched a few minutes until George got into a green convertible (driven by somebody else) and was driven away-- about 30 feet away from us. I gave him a (hopefully) casual wave. He looked in our direction, but didn't wave back. The next day, Saturday, we drove back to Wilmington, again followed the signs, and ended up under the drawbridge (the one at the beginning of Maximum Overdrive). The crew was preparing to shoot the scene in which Indy and Nancy ride their bikes to the oil refinery (I think that's what it was supposed to be-- I need to rewatch the episode), crouch behind some barrels, a truck pulls out of the compound, and they sneak in. We saw George in his producer's chair, the stars, and I guess one of the guys was Joe Johnston (the director). They were waiting for the sun to set, after which they started rolling. That's all we watched them film, but it was pretty cool. Very surreal, for a fan like me. Thanks for posting the bookends!

Aaron"

MDew

Cool - this helps narrow down the search area a little bit. I'd guessed that's where all the Princeton stuff was shot. It's really difficult to pick out any of the buildings in particular using Google & Bing, I didn't recognize any. It seems like some of the more prominent ones would be obvious (the school, for example). My guess is that Wilmington was used for most of the American cities (Chicago, Princeton, New York, etc.) and enhanced with matte paintings. In fact, with little research I already found the fraternity house from Mystery of the Blues.

MDew

Aha! After scouring over Wilmington with bird's eyes on Bing Maps, I finally found Indy's school & added it to the map. It is Tileston School at 412 Ann St. Check another one off!
indysschool.jpg

wilmington-nc-tour-1730.jpg

Also I thought I'd found the Alpha Sigma Chi frat house from Mystery of the Blues (where Indy ruins "April Showers"), but alas, no luck. I did find 2 photos on different websites, but neither mention an address or name. The house # is 322 - but what street?! I've looked everywhere for it....
frathousesm.jpg

frat2sm.jpg