Mystery Of The Blues

Young Indy

Just watched MOTB today for the first time. Very good episode, not my favorite, but awesome to see HF as Indiana Jones. I love the YIJ series and this is a great addition. A little slow at the begginning after the part with Ford but, very entertaining. Probably in the top 5 of the episodes I have seen. Just 2 left to watch.

phantom train

I agree, MOTB was a great YIJC tele-film. At the time, I think having Ford do the cameo was because the network wanted to get new viewers interested in the show (the show hadn't done well when aired during the week the previous year, got cancelled, and then got put on Saturday night, a night which is almost guarenteed to cancel a show for good).

Anyway, the cameo wasn't the best part about the show - this particular tele-film was great in and of itself, and was also the first show in the series where you saw what IJ did after he came back from WW I.

I also liked the inclusion of historical figures, like Sidney B., Elliott Ness (though he probably wasn't as nerdy in real life as he was on the show), Ben Heche the playright, E. Hemingway, and Al C.

The music was excellent as well - though I'm not a huge fan of jazz, this episode really made me appreciate the various nuances to the music. It's also interesting that at the time the show took place (1920), jazz was not the mainstream and popular music that it is today, but was instead somewhat under-appreciated.

indyclone25

mystery of the blues is one of my favorites also, it has enough mystery in it , trying to solve the murder and the action needed in the warehouse - music is great -- if you haven't gotten the soundtrack i suggest you get it i know its hard to find but it can be found ---

Mystery of the Blues is my favorite young Indy episode by far, its about my hometown Chicago and I am an expert on everything Chicago history and otherwise thus I can appreciate the detail and accuracy of the Chicago history discussed in the episode. Then as icing on the cake, it just happens to be the only episode to have a cameo by Harrison Ford! I mean WOW!

Anyways the main reason I chose to post in this thread is that I found something online that talked about the real building from the episode, the site of Colossimo's restaurant, a club called the Four Duces and if you watch the episode the building they put in looks just like the real historical pictures. It was located at 2222 South Wabash Avenue. Unfortunately like so many buildings from Chicago's gangster era it has been demolished, this particular building was demolished in 1964, today it is a vacant lot.

11d8035e0.jpg

The building during the gangster era

120242b20.jpg

The building in 1923 on the left and the building in 1963 shortly before its demolition on the right

11ec0c890.jpg

The site as it looks today

The whole article:
http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id152.htm

Stoo

metalinvader said:
I always wondered why Ford forgot to take the walkie-talkie off of his belt.It's kind of funny that it's there for a brief second.
Crack that whip said:
Oh, no. I really hope that's not referring to a goof in the show. I really didn't need to read that if it does...:(
Even though there are other threads about "Mystery of the Blues", this one is the most fitting to place the following image.

Both 'mystery of the blues' bookends w/Preview
Ep. 11: YIJ and The Mystery of the Blues
Mystery of the Blues and the John Williams theme

Looks like Indy travelled forward in time & then back again after he picked up this piece of interesting gear:

Indy_WalkieTalkie.jpg

metalinvader said:
I've had this wish (Fan boy dream:D ) That a comic/novel would be published about the whole wyoming adventure.I'd really like to know just who were those men chasing after Gray cloud's peace pipe and how Indy got involved.
Same here. One thing that seems certain is that the main baddie is from New York.

indyartist

thanks Stoo for the closeups on the futuristic gear. Is there a shot of the holster? I looked on the video and didn't see a holster.

Stoo

Hey, my pleasure, Bill. Here's where you can see the holster. The walkie-talkie magically appears, then transforms into a holster before disappearing altogether.:p

Before "Skull" came out, there was a big debate on whether or not Indy was going to have his gun in the new movie partly based on the fact that he didn't have one in "Blues" (which is, essentially, correct). I tried to point out that Indy *did* have one that mysteriously vanished during the snowstorm but if fell on deaf ears:

IndyBlues_Holster-1.jpg

indyclone25

Stoo said:
Hey, my pleasure, Bill. Here's where you can see the holster. The walkie-talkie magically appears, then transforms into a holster before disappearing altogether.:p

Before "Skull" came out, there was a big debate on whether or not Indy was going to have his gun in the new movie partly based on the fact that he didn't have one in "Blues" (which is, essentially, correct). I tried to point out that Indy *did* have one that mysteriously vanished during the snowstorm but if fell on deaf ears:

IndyBlues_Holster-1.jpg

as you can see in the picture that isnt harrison ford running through the snow --- i have watched it over and over myself and his movements arent anything like harrison ford .

Stoo

indyclone25 said:
as you can see in the picture that isnt harrison ford running through the snow --- i have watched it over and over myself and his movements arent anything like harrison ford .
GOOD EYE, INDYCLONE!(y) I can't even count the number of times I've watched this and never noticed! He must be the stunt driver for the truck. Doesn't look like he even has a full beard. Well, that would explain, the disappearing gun/holster...the double had one, Harrison didn't. Nice one, Mark!:hat:

(Just watched it again and at the beginning of the greyed-out shot above, you can see the butt of the revolver sticking out so it's not just an empty holster.)

Stoo said:
GOOD EYE, INDYCLONE!(y) I can't even count the number of times I've watched this and never noticed! He must be the stunt driver for the truck. Doesn't look like he even has a full beard. Well, that would explain, the disappearing gun/holster...the double had one, Harrison didn't. Nice one, Mark!:hat:

(Just watched it again and at the beginning of the greyed-out shot above, you can see the butt of the revolver sticking out so it's not just an empty holster.)

Clear out your PM box, Stoo. Trying to send you a message.

emtiem

Frustrating, this one. They showed that they really could make YIJ feel like proper IJ, but just decided not to for some bizarre reason.

The_Raiders

I've also noticed in the scene with Indy and Great Cloud walking through the snow that Great Cloud has Indys satchel on his back, or at least it appears that way.

pack.jpg

metalinvader

As much as I love and cheerish Ford's appearance in MOTB,You'd think they would have worked on the continuity better with this scene in regards to the appearance/gear.I mean,Holster here,Walkie Talkie there...