Mystery Of The Blues

Grizzlor

Well, you have to remember that most of the Young Indy episodes featured either Corey Carrier in all kinds of wild, exotic places, or SPF in the middle of WWI. With the exception of the Transylvania episode. By the time they got to 1919/1920 and Mystery of the Blues, SPF's Indy had become more or less one of the Hardy boys. While the parts where Indy is showing his love of Jazz are nice backstory for, mostly it's pretty lame. Hollywood Follies was even worse. The Harrison bookends are the only reason to watch.

vf wing

Okay, I've by chance watched this episode numerous times lately, and have picked up on a big clue as to the identity of the Toht-like main bad guy at the end.

Remember Harold the waiter? He witnessed Colossimo's murder, and really the way it was presented and staged he could have even been a suspect, or perhaps bought off by the killer. He lost his lunch after the evil deed, made a statement, and then disappeared without any further appearance... that we know of.

But recall earlier in the ep. He received a $100 tip and exclaimed "This'll buy five acres in Wyoming! Only 95 to go!!"

It could be construed as coincidence that the bookends take place in Wyoming, but since they're all part of the same episode, I think not. Harold has to be the main bad guy. One could extrapolate from the given evidence that he planned to go on to become a land baron in Wyoming, and was likely trying to lay claim to any valuable historical artifacts found on his property. Grey Cloud apparently didn't see it that way. I'm at a loss as to how Indy might have gotten involved... aside from the fact that he remembered working with Harold in Chicago!

Lambonius

They kept this bookend in the recent DVD sets, didn't they? I don't own them myself, so I can't check. Wasn't it the only bookend that didn't get cut?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lambonius said:
They kept this bookend in the recent DVD sets, didn't they? I don't own them myself, so I can't check. Wasn't it the only bookend that didn't get cut?

That's right, on both counts. (Well, the Travels with Father bookends, which starred Sean Patrick Flannery rather than George Hall, were eventually incorporated into Winds of Change.)

Joosse

I was watching the Olympics, the men's 500 meters ice skating, and the winner was the Korean Tae-Bum Mo.

But all the while he was skating, his name was indicated as MoTB. And all I could think about was Mystery of the Blues... :D

MoTB took the gold! (y)

Stoo

vf wing said:
Okay, I've by chance watched this episode numerous times lately, and have picked up on a big clue as to the identity of the Toht-like main bad guy at the end.

Remember Harold the waiter? He witnessed Colossimo's murder, and really the way it was presented and staged he could have even been a suspect, or perhaps bought off by the killer. He lost his lunch after the evil deed, made a statement, and then disappeared without any further appearance... that we know of.

But recall earlier in the ep. He received a $100 tip and exclaimed "This'll buy five acres in Wyoming! Only 95 to go!!"

It could be construed as coincidence that the bookends take place in Wyoming, but since they're all part of the same episode, I think not. Harold has to be the main bad guy. One could extrapolate from the given evidence that he planned to go on to become a land baron in Wyoming, and was likely trying to lay claim to any valuable historical artifacts found on his property. Grey Cloud apparently didn't see it that way. I'm at a loss as to how Indy might have gotten involved... aside from the fact that he remembered working with Harold in Chicago!
Interesting theory, vfwing, but the anonymous bad guy is much shorter than Harold, who is about the same height as Indy. They both have black hair, though!;) Were they intended to be the same person, it probably would have been a little more obvious. (Nice catch on the Wyoming line, vf, I'd never made the connection before!:))

As for who Mr. Bad Guy is, there's not much to go on but I figure he probably lives somewhere in New York state (or rented a car from there). Even though he is not seen in the car during the chase, the 2 henchmen look like Wyoming locals which is why I think the car must belong to the main baddie. (He's either lying down in the back seat or the 2 hired heavies hooked up with him after their crash in the snow!:p) In the Indy movies, particular attention has been paid to the license plates on vehicles. Look below and tell me what you think:

License_NewYork.jpg

By the same token, Grey Cloud lives in Alberta, Canada. Anyone interested in him should check out this thread: Grey Cloud

Knowing which actor played the pesky villain might help in figuring out who he is...none of the character names in the credits seem to fit.:(

Montana Smith

I was reading your theory with interest early this morning, vf wing, but now P.I. Stoo is on the case! :cool: (And it could be an interesting case). :hat:

vf wing

I've pored over those credits a few times looking for clues too, sadly to no avail. Nice spot on the license plate!

I'm guessing Harold made NY one of the bases of operations in his burgeoning empire! Still holding to my theory, as it's the only way I can make sense of the Wyoming line. The relative heights of the two men could have changed as people sometimes actually shrink as they get older. I figure if I can halfway accept SPF's magically growing/shortening hair during voyages to and from his adventures then a height difference after 30 years isn't such a stretch!

AnnieJones

vf wing said:

Watched this episode last night and for the first time,just noticed this line.I don't think Harold was the bad guy in the bookends.And I'll tell you why in a little bit.I just think they put the line in there to see if anyone would notice.

The line is "Look at this,big tip from Mike the Pike.A hundred bucks!This will buy me five acres in Wyoming.Only ninety five more to go." Which means he wanted a hundred acres all together and the cost would be $500 for all the land he wanted.

Indy worked with Harold so that means they must have been friends and by the time Indy was in the log cabin Harold would already have bought all the acres he wanted.Indy was there when Harold said that he was going to buy all those acres.Now,Indy being his friend,Harold would most likely have told Indy where in Wyoming the land was that he was going to buy.So,Indy knew where to go to try and hide from the bad guys.And the fact that Indy goes there for safety reasons,tells us that Indy wouldn't go there if it was the place where the bad guy lived.The bad guys followed Indy to the cabin.Harold was most likely out hunting,or in town,or doesn't use the cabin in the winter.
Also,Indy says "Well here's a sacred relic of my past." Which tells us that it's the same soprano sax he had when he was younger and Indy simply gave the soprano sax to Harold on the day he went to the restaurant to quit working there.Harold must have kept it all those years as a reminder of all the events that took place earlier on and Harold must have kept in touch with Indy all those years as well.

My thought when I saw this,was Indy knew that the cabin was near by and used it to hide.Maybe lairdo knows for sure.Help us lairdo,please.

Last edited:
Um, I have serious doubts that its supposed to be the same Soprano sax, Indy seems surprised when he sees the cabin shouting out 'Look!' as though he didn't expect to see it, same when he sees the sax, I've always thought, and still do, that hes just referring to the type of instrument, not the instrument itself. I doubt the villian is the waiter.. maybe he is, I dunno, I'd have thought they would have made it clearer if he were. I like to think Indy's worlds a little bigger then that. Believe it if ye want though as its a fun theory (y)

AnnieJones

My theory may not be 100% correct,but I still don't think Harold is the bad guy in the bookends.It just doesn't make much sense.Like I said before we need lairdo's help with all of this confusion and confirm what is behind all of this story.

Last edited:

AnnieJones

I love the scene where Eliot Ness is typing to the music of Indy practicing the saxophone.Eliot didn't realize at first he was typing to the saxophone's music until right before he stopped and looked at Indy.So funny.(y)
Did anyone else notice this?

I like the theory that Indy knew where the cabin was and that it was THE saxaphone from the story, I always wondered about that myself. Indy seems to make himself right at home in the cabin almost as if he owns it. Could Indy have actually owned the cabin? I know that sounds odd because presumably the villans would find that out and know exactly where to look for him however Indy seemed to be expecting the villans to show up and he didnt seem to worry about somebody else coming to the cabin (like the real owner showing up) which makes me think he owns it, is renting it or knows who owns it (like Harold the waiter who might have saved his sax). The story is not clear at all so really my theory makes as much sense as anything, it just seemed to me that Indy made himself at home at the cabin like he owned the place and maybe he did!

AnnieJones

It's funny though,he knew two Harolds' at the same time.Harold the waiter who worked at Colosimo's Restaurant with Indy while he was attending the University of Chicago and Harold Oxley,from Leeds,England,who attended the University of Chicago with Indy.

Junior Jones

AnnieJones said:
It's funny though,he knew two Harolds' at the same time.Harold the waiter who worked at Colosimo's Restaurant with Indy while he was attending the University of Chicago and Harold Oxley,from Leeds,England,who attended the University of Chicago with Indy.

Maybe young Harold Oxley is the waiter at Colosimo's. I can see a resemblance if I squint.

AnnieJones

Ha ha.(y)
I'm not saying both Harolds' are the same person.I just thought it was funny that he knew two Harolds' at the same time.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy1Jones2 said:
My favorite episode of the series. Ford reprised his roll to help the ratings.
:D

Hi there. Welcome to the Raven, Indy1Jones2! I hope you have a fine time here, but I expect you'll be able to enjoy it considerably more if you manage to see what folks have said in the past, rather than starting a new thread on a subject that already exists. Our search feature should come in handy.

And, again: welcome.

Indy1Jones2

Attila the Professor said:
Hi there. Welcome to the Raven, Indy1Jones2! I hope you have a fine time here, but I expect you'll be able to enjoy it considerably more if you manage to see what folks have said in the past, rather than starting a new thread on a subject that already exists. Our search feature should come in handy.

And, again: welcome.

thanks for the tip. is there an iphone wallpaper thread.