20 year Celebration for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

HJTHX1138

What a cool way to celebrate!

Happy 20th Young Indy!

YoungIndyPOST.jpg

Crack that whip

Pardon my ignorance, but how are people doing these? Do we print out the image from JuniorJones' original post and physically draw on that and then scan it, or what?

:eek:

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Pardon my ignorance, but how are people doing these? Do we print out the image from JuniorJones' original post and physically draw on that and then scan it, or what?
Apart from Damon & myself, it looks like that is what everyone else has done. (Damon probably used a tablet to draw directly on the computer and I had a scan of an old, b&w sketch that was added onto the card in Photoshop.)

Looking forward to seeing yours, Crack!:)

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
I suspect some sleight of hand involving tracing paper. ;)
Tracing paper is for chumps. For the main figure in mine, I used a light box!:eek: :eek: :p

A horizontal mood has overtaken me so I made a new blank. Have at it, folks!

Sketchcard_Blank_2.jpg

indyclone25

Crack that whip said:

:eek:

i saved the blank card to my computer and then with a printing program on my pictures , i made the trading card measurements and copied ten cards per sheet on bristol board, cut to normal paper size. then i have them cut afgain to the card size and now i have about 100 cards to sketch on.:D

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
However people are doing it, I think it's great that members are posting their sketches.

Stoo, A light box?! Shame on you...before you know it you'll be using the 'crack cocaine' of professional artists. The Opto-scope. So addictive you'll never sketch out a drawing again!

indyclone25

JuniorJones said:
However people are doing it, I think it's great that members are posting their sketches.

Stoo, A light box?! Shame on you...before you know it you'll be using the 'crack cocaine' of professional artists. The Opto-scope. So addictive you'll never sketch out a drawing again!

i have heard people using a light box to do their drawings , what do they do , do the make a copy of the picture card size and then trace it? cause to me thats not sketching a card......to sketch a card is to do it free hand and quickly . :D

Damon

I drew on paper and scanned the finished drawings later to paste them in photoshop onto the blanks. But I used photo-references :)

A few more:

sketchcards.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
indyclone25 said:
i have heard people using a light box to do their drawings , what do they do , do the make a copy of the picture card size and then trace it? cause to me thats not sketching a card......to sketch a card is to do it free hand and quickly . :D

Lightbox, Opto-scopes, camera obsurers, tracing - are the tools of the professional. If they say they do no use them, they are lying - including Drew Struzan.

If anyone is serious about being a professional illustrator, invest in one as time is money.

You can see a lot of this technique with the pro sketch cards but it's how you translate it that counts.

indyclone25

JuniorJones said:
Lightbox, Opto-scopes, camera obsurers, tracing - are the tools of the professional. If they say they do no use them, they are lying - including Drew Struzan.

If anyone is serious about being a professional illustrator, invest in one as time is money.

You can see a lot of this technique with the pro sketch cards but it's how you translate it that counts.
i showcased my sketch cards on scoundrel art.com and i was applauded for not using the light box techinque, a few of the people loved the rawness of my work .:D (y)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
indyclone25 said:
i showcased my sketch cards on scoundrel art.com and i was applauded for not using the light box techinque, a few of the people loved the rawness of my work .:D (y)

We all LOVE your work, especially the Raiders Adaptation you need to finish.(y)

There is nothing wrong in tracing as long as you are not using it as a crutch. Use it as any other tool as sometimes you'll need a ruler to draw a straight line.

Still, for me, there is nothing more fun than a blank piece of paper and a fine nib marker...

stoo.jpg

Damon said:
I drew on paper and scanned the finished drawings later to paste them in photoshop onto the blanks. But I used photo-references

Great stuff, very expressive.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Sometimes the comp isn't working and you have to bite the bullet and stop!

stj2.jpg

It looked so promising in my mind...

Stoo

Damon said:
I drew on paper and scanned the finished drawings later to paste them in photoshop onto the blanks. But I used photo-references :)
Nice work, Damon! Love the ones with Remy.(y)
JuniorJones said:
Still, for me, there is nothing more fun than a blank piece of paper and a fine nib marker...

stoo.jpg
I like this one, Junior! Nice to see you that you're the first person to use my horizontal blank (based on your vertical blank).;)
JuniorJones said:

Yes. Even the great, Jan Vermeer, supposedly used a Camera Obscura back in the 1600s (and the technique was used hundreds of years earlier than that).

FACT: Drew Struzan used an overhead projector to do most of his movie-based work. (I had one at home but got rid of it because it was so damned cumbersome and I barely used it.)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
I like this one, Junior! Nice to see you that you're the first person to use my horizontal blank (based on your vertical blank).;)

Thanks. Makes a nice variation with a little more scope.

stoo said:
Yes. Even the great, Jan Vermeer, supposedly used a Camera Obscura back in the 1600s (and the technique was used hundreds of years earlier than that).

FACT: Drew Struzan used an overhead projector to do most of his movie-based work. (I had one at home but got rid of it because it was so damned cumbersome and I barely used it.)

Being an Illustrator, back in the day, was little being in the magic circle and as this was a closely guarded secret.

Still, most artist don't like to admit to using reference but everyone has a swipe file!