Indy has a daughter?

Matinee Idyll

Argh, that be from Ireland, 1916... Aye, that it be. My favourite quote in the episode actually comes from his daughter,

"We'll miss the tea and cookie presentation..."

:p

'ello everyone, 'm Joseph Bromley, by the way... 'm, new here... Indy fan (perhap you figured that)... probably love Young Indy even more. Though I hate the new new edited versions, sacriledge!

YIJC were my fix as a lad, while the other boys were getting ratted on Nirvana - I was at home, watching the show, learning all about the wonders of 20th Century history... For all Mr. Lucas' recent Star Wars related faults, I owe the man so much.

Thankyou George, hope I enjoy me stay!

Cheers,
Joe.

Matinee Idyll

Don't suppose you have Curse of the Jackal or... something? ;)

Hehe, yes... I'll try my best to capture some...

I've still got Princeton 1916, Ireland 1916, London 1916 and Paris 1916 taped off Channel 9 about... 10 years ago.

* sigh * We'll have to have a big weekend of Indy viewin' Violet!

Here be his daughter, sorry... took a photo of the tele, it ain't great. I also took alittle bit of video, will upload soon! :)

indydaughter.jpg

Note Green Guide and Rebel Without a Cause ontop of the tele ;)

Last edited:
She seems a bit young to me. If Indy is 93 or so, then that would mean he had her in his late 50s to early 60s. Seems a bit strange to me, I would think she would be in her 50s or so, and her kids would be in their 20s-30s. That could mean Indy at that time could be a great-grandfather. Though in one of the shows the kids call him grandfather.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Actually, I do have Curse of the Jackal. One of the best episodes ever!!! Yeah, we should, but you're way down south...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Matinee, you are the coolest newbie ever! (y)

She doesn't look familiar, and I can't find her screen credit anywhere on the internet. She looks like she could be about fifty, born in the 1930's, the possible offspring of Marion or Sophia. Especially Sophia, with the red hair.

Did you tape the credits, Matinee? Could you review them and find her real name and possibly even her character's name?

Matinee Idyll

Will do Moedred :)

She does have atleast one Primary school aged child... but that doesn't mean she couldn't have other older children (in their 20's, etc)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Red hair.... I don't suppose anyone realised that red hair could be a Jones trait considering that the Young Indy's Dad in the series has red-brown hair?

Gustav

Both of my parents have dark hair but I have some red hair in my beard and if my hair gets too long it starts to get lighter at the tips. My grandmother had light hair and she was Irish. They're both recessive traits which means they were carried by one of my parents but they didn't show. The question is would the people who decided to give Indy's daughter red hair intend it to be a result of his recessive genes? Usually in show business they are more direct than that. They would likely want the hair to in a way represent one of the parents like they do in most movies. Then again maybe they just chose this woman to play Indy's daughter without really thinking about that. Then yet again her hair isn't that red (or at least doesn't appear to be from this picture) and Indy's hair isn't very dark at all. I wager that if you put their two shades of hair colour side by side they wouldn't be far off.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, you're probably right. But, this is a likely reason why they cut Old Indy bookends from the series. If they left this particular segment in, Indyfans would be wanting an explanation in Indy IV.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Violet Indy said:
Yeah, you're probably right. But, this is a likely reason why they cut Old Indy bookends from the series. If they left this particular segment in, Indyfans would be wanting an explanation in Indy IV.
Give the girl a silver dollar!

Bingo, kiddo. The primary reason why the bookends were cut from the VHS release (and the soon-to-be DVD) was that they answered too many questions and gave very little wiggle room for Indy IV. Remember, at the time the decision was made the Saucermen and Monkey King scripts were the scripts still being considered by Lucas & Co. and some of the events wouldn't match up...come to think of it, some of the events in Frank's wonderful script also would conflict.

That being said, the bookends are no longer a part of the Indy canon, and should be treated lightly. If Indy's daughter is in the bookends and no where else...then Indy doesn't have a daughter. Unless of course Frank's script is used afterall.(y)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'd like to think that there will be a daughter who in a way kinda pays him bakc for the Marion-Abner incident. It'd be a nice touch, especially if Indy's daughter went out with a tomb robber...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron H said:
the bookends are no longer a part of the Indy canon
So he really was a crazy old man after all. Retelling something he watched on ABC.

Now the Indy franchise has its equivalent of the "Star Wars Holiday Special:" hazy tv recollections Lucas stuffed in the vault. By refusing to add them to the DVD's, he'll just have to discuss them in interviews that much more. Serves him right. Meanwhile, won't some videotape packrat make a date with youtube?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Aaron H said:
Give the girl a silver dollar!

Bingo, kiddo. The primary reason why the bookends were cut from the VHS release (and the soon-to-be DVD) was that they answered too many questions and gave very little wiggle room for Indy IV. Remember, at the time the decision was made the Saucermen and Monkey King scripts were the scripts still being considered by Lucas & Co. and some of the events wouldn't match up...come to think of it, some of the events in Frank's wonderful script also would conflict.

That being said, the bookends are no longer a part of the Indy canon, and should be treated lightly. If Indy's daughter is in the bookends and no where else...then Indy doesn't have a daughter. Unless of course Frank's script is used afterall.(y)

Frank's script had a daughter in it???

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Violet Indy said:
Frank's script had a daughter in it???
I think I said that.:confused:

Yes, he had a daughter. There was a touching scene where Indy first meets her and doesn't know its his daughter. He's at the college and he thinks she is just a cute student. So he flirts a bit with her, and then Marion walks into the scene with the news of who this cute new student really is (which causes Indy to fight a gag reflex).

There was also a treatment of the same script where this scene wasn't in it, rather the revelation of his daughter didn't come until towards the end of the film. Indy reveals that he knew it was her the whole time, but wanted to protect her from the baddies.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron H said:
Indy reveals that he knew it was her the whole time
And that's the difference between comedy and drama. It doesn't matter when this treatment hints to the audience she's his daughter, because the audience would have known months in advance. You just can't keep a "Luke-I-am-your-father" secret in the internet age. Movies have to be more self-aware. Not to mention supposedly intelligent movie characters.

In Last Crusade, they moved Henry's appearance from the end to the middle, which seems a good time for Indy to make the big discovery. Or as soon as every possible joke at his expense has been made.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Wow.... I think it'd be better if her revelation was more in the middle rather than the end. From this, it's sounds like Darabont's script is pretty good. Then again, as long as there's Marion in it and it's after a pretty interesting MacGuffin, I'm happy. Having said that.....

"BRING BACK MARION!!!"
"BRING BACK MARION!!!"
"BRING BACK MARION!!!"

"I WANT TO READ DARABONT'S SCRIPT!!!"

Matinee Idyll

Hello again guys, sorry for dissapearing there...

I couldn't find her listed in either the opening or closing credits... t'will always be a mystery...