Indy has a daughter?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Matinee Idyll said:
Hello again guys, sorry for dissapearing there...

I couldn't find her listed in either the opening or closing credits... t'will always be a mystery...
I too have done my share of searching and was unable to find out either.

Adamwankenobi

Aaron H said:
Give the girl a silver dollar!

Bingo, kiddo. The primary reason why the bookends were cut from the VHS release (and the soon-to-be DVD) was that they answered too many questions and gave very little wiggle room for Indy IV. Remember, at the time the decision was made the Saucermen and Monkey King scripts were the scripts still being considered by Lucas & Co. and some of the events wouldn't match up...come to think of it, some of the events in Frank's wonderful script also would conflict.

That being said, the bookends are no longer a part of the Indy canon, and should be treated lightly. If Indy's daughter is in the bookends and no where else...then Indy doesn't have a daughter. Unless of course Frank's script is used afterall.(y)

How do you know this? I really like the Old Indy bookends, and was hoping to see them on the DVDs. :( If this is true, why can't they just write a script to fit the series, rather than the other way around. This sounds similar to the situation with Star Wars, where instead of writing prequels that fit the originals, Lucas re-edited the originals to fit the prequels.

Aaron H said:
I think I said that.:confused:

Yes, he had a daughter. There was a touching scene where Indy first meets her and doesn't know its his daughter. He's at the college and he thinks she is just a cute student. So he flirts a bit with her, and then Marion walks into the scene with the news of who this cute new student really is (which causes Indy to fight a gag reflex).

Yep, Lucas definately wrote the story for that script. LOL! :D

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Adamwankenobi said:
Yep, Lucas definately wrote the story for that script.
Then again, Lucas was the most resistant to the Henry-Elsa tryst. Incest jokes may have been part of why he rejected Darabont's script.

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah. Agreed. He found it hard to accept the eh, love triangle in LC. Mind you though, that made the film better than what the original Jones Snr being a Yoda-like character could have contributed to the film.

Indyologist

Matinee Idyll said:
Argh, that be from Ireland, 1916... Aye, that it be. My favourite quote in the episode actually comes from his daughter,

"We'll miss the tea and cookie presentation..."

:p

I don't get the joke. What's the context?

By the way, welcome to the Raven, Joe! :hat: Watch for the molars in the peanut bowl.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron H said:
the Garden wasn't on Earth.
It seems they were/are combining Eden from Genesis with New Jerusalem from Revalations, since both have the Tree(s) of Life. I have no problem here. After all the powers assigned to the grail (lifted from the peaches in Monkey King), this would likely require less artistic license.

The big question (other than how to transport Indy and pals to the gate) is which rule to follow: Gen 3:22 "He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever" ...or Rev 22:14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city." Entering or eating could mean spontaneous human combustion... or not. Indy could shove a Russkie through first, who might combust anyway, but then Indy would be no less likely to himself.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron H said:
If Indy's daughter is in the bookends and no where else...then Indy doesn't have a daughter.
What if she's a 'given' on the official website?
------
Given that Old Indy has a daughter, who do you think is the mother?
3/16/04 - 3/23/04
Marion Ravenwood 55%
Willie Scott 11%
Someone else 34%

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron H said:
The primary reason why the bookends were cut from the VHS release (and the soon-to-be DVD) was that they answered too many questions and gave very little wiggle room for Indy IV.
And the secondary reason: watching a cliffhanger is less thrilling when you know the guy's going to live to be 90.

sarah navarro

Matinee Idyll said:
Don't suppose you have Curse of the Jackal or... something? ;)

Hehe, yes... I'll try my best to capture some...

I've still got Princeton 1916, Ireland 1916, London 1916 and Paris 1916 taped off Channel 9 about... 10 years ago.

* sigh * We'll have to have a big weekend of Indy viewin' Violet!

Here be his daughter, sorry... took a photo of the tele, it ain't great. I also took alittle bit of video, will upload soon! :)

indydaughter.jpg

Note Green Guide and Rebel Without a Cause ontop of the tele ;)

i can tell she got her looks from her father.....

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron, Moriarty at AICN says the MacGuffin has been crystal skulls ever since the Darabont script. And Lucas said they "pottered around" for years before going "back to that original MacGuffin" (skulls). Could it be you've been eyeballing parts of the Boam script? Do any of these rumored elements sound familiar: a different rival colleague named 'Professor Conrad', the post-WWII recovery of a Nazi sub, the discovery of some Dead Sea Scrolls, a metatronic (meaning: the power of God appearing to take you away physically) device, and Indy's family?

Indie House

Without reading too much of the previous posts, it sounds like this 'daughter' thing may have some cred... so why isn't it in the spoiler forum?

:mad:

Finn

Staff member
Indie House said:
Without reading too much of the previous posts, it sounds like this 'daughter' thing may have some cred... so why isn't it in the spoiler forum?
Because it doesn't have cred. I can understand that your willingness to stay spoiler-free prevented you from scanning the dates of the posts. This is an old thread, pure speculation from the day when we had no confirmations (how distant that feels now... though it went on for YEARS), resurfaced to serve an unknown purpose.

Kingsley

Finn said:
Because it doesn't have cred. I can understand that your willingness to stay spoiler-free prevented you from scanning the dates of the posts. This is an old thread, pure speculation from the day when we had no confirmations (how distant that feels now... though it went on for YEARS), resurfaced to serve an unknown purpose.
So no Natalie Portman in Indy 4? :(

Indie House

Finn said:

Cheers!

:hat:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Finn said:
This is an old thread... resurfaced to serve an unknown purpose
The obvious purpose is to bring together the five Indy 4 scripts by Jeb Stuart (1993), Jeff Boam (1995), Frank Darabont (2003), Jeff Nathanson (2005), and David Koepp (2006). Over the decades they were dispersed by wars, sold off by thieves... soon we will have all five Indy scripts and the Raven will be all powerful! Keep digging, true believers!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Make that 6 scripts... 2 drafts from Darabont.
Frank says "I had crystal skulls in mine, yeah, absolutely."
Again, I timidly ask the mods: what have you been reading/smoking?