Young Indiana Jones appreciation thread

The_Raiders

Adamwankenobi said:
You might like the "Mystery of the Blues" episode then, for which Ford reprised his role. (y)

He is a "normal" kid, who just happens to run into some of the most important and enlightening figures of the early 20th century. :p

Yeah but a normal kid that apears to get in ab-normal situations. Most kids wouldn't

Adamwankenobi

The_Raiders said:
Yeah but a normal kid that apears to get in ab-normal situations. Most kids wouldn't

Well that's why Indiana Jones is in the fantasy genre... because it's fantastical. ;) I mean seriously, Indy gets into even more abnormal situations as an adult! :whip:

The_Raiders

That's the thing, if a kid can imagine Indy as a regualr kid, not some fast witted person who gets in abnormal situations, than they see him as an adult and his situations and it gives them insparataion

metalinvader

Maybe you should watch some episodes first before casting some judgement on it.I don't see what so abnormal about some of the adventures young Indy did..i.e. Running away,Joining the army..etc..

Last edited:

deckard24

Maybe one of you die-hard YIJC fans can tell me this, does Indy(as played by SPF) in the very last few episodes start to show some signs of him maturing into the Indy we know circa 1935? I've only seen a handful of the CC Young Indy episodes and the same for the SPF ones. SPF's portrayal is what made me lose interest in the series, because he never came across to me as a younger version of Ford's Indy. So since I gave up early on the series, does he mature into a closer resemblance of the Fortune and Glory Indy?

Raiders90

metalinvader said:
Congrats,Raiders112390 for getting into this amazing and overlooked series.What was your favorite episode?

I can't say I have A favorite but Love's Sweet Song, Spring Break Adventure, Mystery of the Blues, Masks of Evil and Treasure of the Peacock's Eye are my favorites.
Spring Break Adventure, Masks of Evil and TotPE are important ''episodes'' because in Spring Break Adventure Indy uses the whip; Treasure of the Peacock's Eye is a glimpse into Indy's future and Masks of Evil is his first encounter with the supernatural.

IndyJr.

The_Raiders said:
That's the thing, if a kid can imagine Indy as a regualr kid, not some fast witted person who gets in abnormal situations, than they see him as an adult and his situations and it gives them insparataion

At the Somme Indy witnesses the horror of war and is then captured and sent to a high security prison and must try to escape with the help of Charles de Gaul.

At Verdun he witnessed the killing of over 600 of his allies and then was faced with the decision to obey the General of the Army by sending a letter to begin the attack AGAIN (even though NOW two Big Bertha's have been brought in), or acting on his conscious by destroying the letter, disobeying the General but saving many lives for one day...

In the Congo he almost DIED but was saved by Albert Schweitzer. This episode perfectly showed his mortality as well as teaching people about the sanctity of human life!

In Russia during the Russian revolution he befriended some Bolsheviks (while spying against them in the Intelligence)... Mixed between friendship and duty he and his friends have some sort of a falling out and Indy goes to warn them that they will be killed if they continue the revolution! Indy runs out in the streets crying to stop them when a load of machine gun fire is opened up... many non-famous Russians are killed.

These aren't the only good story lines... there are many more! Yes, he does tend to meet a lot of historical figures, but there are times he comes across may non-historical ones as well... if you think about it, everyone's life is a journey; as is Indy's.

Yes, in Young Indy they do keep the same idea of fantasy and drama that was in the originals... but they do show pretty much all things in a realistic light. Death is so real in these films. Life is so precious and beloved. These films make you think of what's important in life. It's not all about Indy, it's about a child growing up in hard times...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
deckard24 said:
Maybe one of you die-hard YIJC fans can tell me this, does Indy(as played by SPF) in the very last few episodes start to show some signs of him maturing into the Indy we know circa 1935? I've only seen a handful of the CC Young Indy episodes and the same for the SPF ones. SPF's portrayal is what made me lose interest in the series, because he never came across to me as a younger version of Ford's Indy. So since I gave up early on the series, does he mature into a closer resemblance of the Fortune and Glory Indy?

No. He doesn't turn into a mercenary. Not even a resemblance. I would say closer to the "That belongs in a museum!" Indy. But at the same time, they never got making Season 3, which had scripts more akin to the films with characters such as Abner and Belloq and a certain skull made of crystal, which would have allowed the development of a resemblance of the Fortune and Glory Indy. I think it would have happened had Fate and a certain TV channel allowed it but I guess that won't ever happen now.

deckard24

Violet Indy said:
No. He doesn't turn into a mercenary. Not even a resemblance. I would say closer to the "That belongs in a museum!" Indy. But at the same time, they never got making Season 3, which had scripts more akin to the films with characters such as Abner and Belloq and a certain skull made of crystal, which would have allowed the development of a resemblance of the Fortune and Glory Indy. I think it would have happened had Fate and a certain TV channel allowed it but I guess that won't ever happen now.
Thanks, that answers my question!:hat:

I know he had to go through a transformation, so it only makes sense he wouldn't be like the Indy from TOD as a teenager. Maybe season 3 would have done the trick!

Adamwankenobi

IndyJr. said:
At the Somme Indy witnesses the horror of war and is then captured and sent to a high security prison and must try to escape with the help of Charles de Gaul.

At Verdun he witnessed the killing of over 600 of his allies and then was faced with the decision to obey the General of the Army by sending a letter to begin the attack AGAIN (even though NOW two Big Bertha's have been brought in), or acting on his conscious by destroying the letter, disobeying the General but saving many lives for one day...

In the Congo he almost DIED but was saved by Albert Schweitzer. This episode perfectly showed his mortality as well as teaching people about the sanctity of human life!

In Russia during the Russian revolution he befriended some Bolsheviks (while spying against them in the Intelligence)... Mixed between friendship and duty he and his friends have some sort of a falling out and Indy goes to warn them that they will be killed if they continue the revolution! Indy runs out in the streets crying to stop them when a load of machine gun fire is opened up... many non-famous Russians are killed.

These aren't the only good story lines... there are many more! Yes, he does tend to meet a lot of historical figures, but there are times he comes across may non-historical ones as well... if you think about it, everyone's life is a journey; as is Indy's.

Yes, in Young Indy they do keep the same idea of fantasy and drama that was in the originals... but they do show pretty much all things in a realistic light. Death is so real in these films. Life is so precious and beloved. These films make you think of what's important in life. It's not all about Indy, it's about a child growing up in hard times...

Very good post! :hat:

Thorpe

It's a great thing to have come across. I was so lucky to discover this on BBC Two in 2004. I don't think it has ever been aired since. I am so glad to be owner of Volume 1 but I need to wait a little while for Volume 2 to come out over here.

Adamwankenobi

Raiders112390 said:
I have to say, I just got the DVDs, they're awesome.

Of course they are. Michael Bay demanded it: :p
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRmTanlo8wU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRmTanlo8wU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Raiders90

People say the YIJC show an Indy that acts "out of character". To that I could counter that in LC, Indy acts ''out of character'' with ToD. He goes from being a treasure hunter in search of nothing more than ''fortune and glory'' to becoming a conservationalist who believes that the artifacts he discovers ''belong in a museum'' in the space of 3 years.

But Indiana Jones is a realistic character in that his personality, and his views on things, changed over time, like a real person's views and ideas would.

What we see in YIJC is his life. Henry Jones, Jr. didn't come out of the womb with a fedora on his head and a whip in his hand. The alter-ego, ''Indiana'', formed slowly, starting with an innocent rebellion in Indy's rejection of his true name for that of the name Indiana.
The events shown in the YIJC (or Adventures of Young Indiana Jones) help to mold Indy into what the man we see in the movies.
In WWI, Indy learns how to use deception and how to improvise on the spot, something which he would come to do quite often in the movies. We see him having a bit more experience with the whip--a foreshadowing of how important a tool it would become to him--We see his first fist fights, going from a naive fighter to a dirty fighter by the end of the series. We see his first brushes with corruption and dissapointment, which would begin to bring his cynicism to the surface. We see his first true treasure hunt. We see the distance between him and his father and the gradual breakdown of their relationship. We see how Indy became interested in archeology. We also see how he learned all the languages he spoke in the trilogy (and many more) and how he became so knowledgable about the ancient world.
Between 1916 and 1920, Indy dates and has casual flings with a number of women (years of field work), and by the end of the series, has no qualms about dating three women at once.

People say it's unrealistic for Indy to meet all of the famous people he meets--but in the majority of cases they weren't famous when he met them--and isn't it even more unrealistic for Nazis' faces to melt? For a man to age and turn to dust within seconds? For a 700 year old knight to still live? For a man to live without his heart in his chest? Is it not impossible (or at least very very difficult) to actually perform the truck stunt in ROTLA the way it looks in the movie?

So I would say when we're watching the YIJC, we are truly watching the early life of the man we see in ROTLA, TOD and LC; the historical aspect of the show is simply a bonus.

Adamwankenobi

Raiders112390 said:
People say the YIJC show an Indy that acts "out of character". To that I could counter that in LC, Indy acts ''out of character'' with ToD. He goes from being a treasure hunter in search of nothing more than ''fortune and glory'' to becoming a conservationalist who believes that the artifacts he discovers ''belong in a museum'' in the space of 3 years.

But Indiana Jones is a realistic character in that his personality, and his views on things, changed over time, like a real person's views and ideas would.

What we see in YIJC is his life. Henry Jones, Jr. didn't come out of the womb with a fedora on his head and a whip in his hand. The alter-ego, ''Indiana'', formed slowly, starting with an innocent rebellion in Indy's rejection of his true name for that of the name Indiana.
The events shown in the YIJC (or Adventures of Young Indiana Jones) help to mold Indy into what the man we see in the movies.
In WWI, Indy learns how to use deception and how to improvise on the spot, something which he would come to do quite often in the movies. We see him having a bit more experience with the whip--a foreshadowing of how important a tool it would become to him--We see his first fist fights, going from a naive fighter to a dirty fighter by the end of the series. We see his first brushes with corruption and dissapointment, which would begin to bring his cynicism to the surface. We see his first true treasure hunt. We see the distance between him and his father and the gradual breakdown of their relationship. We see how Indy became interested in archeology. We also see how he learned all the languages he spoke in the trilogy (and many more) and how he became so knowledgable about the ancient world.
Between 1916 and 1920, Indy dates and has casual flings with a number of women (years of field work), and by the end of the series, has no qualms about dating three women at once.

So I would say when we're watching the YIJC, we are truly watching the early life of the man we see in ROTLA, TOD and LC; the historical aspect of the show is simply a bonus.

And that's why Indiana Jones is the greatest character ever created. (y)

Raiders112390 said:
People say it's unrealistic for Indy to meet all of the famous people he meets--but in the majority of cases they weren't famous when he met them--and isn't it even more unrealistic for Nazis' faces to melt? For a man to age and turn to dust within seconds? For a 700 year old knight to still live? For a man to live without his heart in his chest? Is it not impossible (or at least very very difficult) to actually perform the truck stunt in ROTLA the way it looks in the movie?

Why is it so many people say that anyway? Is it not blatantly obvious to them how unrealistic the films are? :confused:

Raiders90

Because they are narrrow-minded and can seem to accept Christian and Hindu myths as being factual but not the lives of people who actually lived, or the idea of Aliens it seems.
I'm going to go watch Love's Sweet Song =]

AnnieJones

I just remembered something that I think I should share with everyone here.It's a funny story about back when my sister and I were shopping for The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Volume 1 & 2 DVD set,most likely in late 2007,because that's when the first two volumes came out,or we could have been shopping for them in early 2008,after they were already out on DVD.
Anyway,we went to a video/DVD store in the mall and I asked the male clerk(who appeared to be in his 30s),"Does this store have the first two seasons of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles?" (I called them that,because at the time,I didn't know that the DVDs were called The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones.)He had a confused and somewhat shocked look on his face and said,"What's that?" I said,"It's an Indiana Jones T.V. show." Then he responded,"I never knew they made a T.V. show about Indiana Jones?!" As it turned out,the store did have the first two volumes and the clerk was surprised to see them on the shelf(top shelf on the far left).

Last edited: