Young Indy on DVD

I

Indy_Jones88

Indy Smith said:
There was some kind of rumour, but nothing I can come up with off the top of my hat I'm afraid.

You should have made it "Top of my Fedora". lol. I have heard rumors of Christmas but DON'T quote me PLZ. This is only a rumor and i dont want somebody getting mad cause i was wrong. lol

Webley

Damn its good to be back at the Raven.
Young Indy on DVD Im anticipating it more than I did the release of the trilogy.

Morsoth

Oh yeah, I hope get this before 2005...

I miss a lot of episode, and Only have Peacoc Eye on VHS... This series must have a DVD release, not only because it's Indiana Jones, but the stories are great and you can learn many things about history!

Junior Jones

And its a good chance for Lucasfilm to make up for the "Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones" debacle.

They edited everything together, re-numbered everything (including the trilogy) and then never released them all. Complete Adventures?!

That still annoys me every time I look at my collection.

Whipper

Yes, I want the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles... Complete, as aired on ABC all those years ago, and NOT the chopped-up mess they turned it into on home video.

Morsoth

Yep, I hope they'll re-insert the Old Indy capsules.

It's wasn't very good, but I dont like when they cut footages... at leat, they can add it in a section on the DVD.

Whipper

The Old Indy bookends and Especially his Narrations are too valuable for setting the stage for each episode and summing it all up. They shouldn't be lost. I also liked that he gave further insights into Young Indy's thoughts and emotional development as time went by.

(It was weird at times on ABC because the episodes jumped around in time, but if you kept track of the given dates [Episodes were titled by year, month and location] and then watched them in order, it all made sense later and you could see the steady progression. I remember it was like Months before we knew what had happened to Remy, for example...but when the gap was finally filled, it was logical. And, in the meantime, Old Indy kept it straight for the audience, he let you know what you needed to know to immdediately jump into an episode if you'd missed a bunch...he helped make a lot of episodes work as standalones.)

And I came to see the bookends as charming and good comic relief to provide contrast in some of the really heavy episodes.

They hacked it out and tried to create new bridging material, but That stuff was truly Awful. Grainy film, Sean Flannery's hair all wrong, it just didn't Fit in there and it was painfully obvious.

The single-hour episodes should remain in episodic format and only the two-parters Created to be viewed as a single story should be presented that way.

Young Indy and the Scandal Of 1920 hasn't come out, has it? I wanna see that one out, but Intact. I don't believe they Could excise Old Indy out of that film, he's too integral to it, it would lose too much. The lady in the cab, the critic in the theater, all good stuff that shouldn't be lost if you wanted to put that movie out.

I also didn't like some of the new overdubbing they did. I much preferred the voices of the original actors in the Congo episodes over the new ones they used for home video release.

The originals had more urgency, they made the scenes more Intense. The guy playing Major Bouchet was great in that scene where he's faced with mutiny and is ranting how he'll shoot every last man. The new voice just wasn't into the moment, to my ears. The original was dramatic, the new guy's take was Flat... Running lines instead of Acting.

I remember some strange edits in places, too. Some different sequencing and alternated shots used that made me wonder, What was the POINT of that? They just took away a Good shot for a Nothing shot.

I miss the opening title sequence of the 'Chronicles, too, that was a Very nice piece of work. (A DVD set also ought to include the ABC trailers from before the series debut. They were cool and got me All pumped up about the series.)

Anyway, lest I get off on a rant myself... Let's just have The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, please. Pleeasse?

Johan

Price??

what do you think Young Indy would retail at? I would be willing to pay whatever, but you would think that they would be modestley priced as they are not big screen productions, and it would be a huge set.

Sam

My guess would be between 80-100 bucks.

I want to buy them on dvd as well..... I'll have to add it to my list, along with all the seasons of X Files and Stargate SG-1.

Johan

Whatever the price I would buy them... I still need to get MacGyver and Quantum Leap on DVD

blur

I believe the wait time on the Young Indy DVDs is because Lucas and co. want to produce a number of documentaries to go on each DVD as an extra. It will be a great learning tool for schools in that respect - watch the episode, then watch the doco about the real history behind the story.

blur

Right? Right?!? Of course I'm right! ;)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1197

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, The - Extensive Documentaries Are Being Produced
Posted by David Lambert
3/04/2004

TVShowsOnDVD has kept up with The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and its journey to DVD since October 2002, and we have a new update for you on what is turning out to be a long road indeed.

Our newest update comes to us via the Akron Beacon Journal, whose article last Sunday - "Lucas series inches to DVD", by R.D. Heldenfels - notes that a celebrated staffer at their local University is taking part in the creation of the DVD release, and was brought out to the Skywalker Ranch to do just that.

You see, in the Video Business article we first linked to in our original Young Indy Jones news, it was explained about the plans to turn the release into an educational affair, along with all the entertainment of course, by providing extras for every episode that ties it into the history which was woven into the fictional "Indy" story. According to LucasFilm honcho Rick McCallum, "what we're going to try to do is produce historical documentaries about each of the historical characters." Now we have the details of Dave Baker's adventure in consulting on one of these documentaries:

...it was good to hear that University of Akron archivist Dave Baker was involved in a DVD release of the Chronicles.

Director of the university's Archives of the History of American Psychology, Baker said he was contacted awhile back by Lucas' people looking for material for a documentary on psychology.

Baker talked with them about the differences between psychology and psychiatry. ("Psychologists are concerned with the human condition in the broad sense," he said. "Psychiatrists are physicians first, concerned with the treatment of mental illness.") He also talked about the development of psychology between the world wars.

"The thing I appreciated was that I was able to have some input," he said. "I'm a very passionate historian of psychology."

And apparently an impressive one. Baker was flown out to Lucas' Skywalker Ranch facility for an interview to be included in the documentary. Which turned out to be a companion piece for the DVD release of a Chronicles episode featuring Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung.

Baker did not really know the series. "I had seen it once and it was a long time ago," he said.

Nor was he sure when the DVD will come out. Baker guessed it will be tied to the release of the fourth big-screen Indiana Jones, which had been expected in 2005 until reports of Lucas' dissatisfaction with the original script.

"I didn't see that they had a hard and fast marketing plan," Baker said. "It's a very ambitious project. It looks like they're doing something like 50 or 100 of these documentaries."

A nice update there! We encourage you to read the entire article at the link above, and find out more about Baker's visit (and about the series itself, if you happen to be unfamiliar with it). And we offer our thanks to R.D. Heldenfels and the Beacon Journal for their well-written article.

We didn't stumble across this article ourselves, though, and we like to give credit where it is due. So we have to offer our sincere thanks to "CraigL", who posted about this article at 6:39 AM (Eastern) yesterday at The Home Theater Forum. Craig's been a member there for just over 4 years, and knows that all us DVD news-hounds hang out there looking for leads. So it's only fair that he get proper credit for his find. THANKS!