Young Indy on DVD

Matinee Idyll

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles boxset!? Not the awful re-edited with awful 'joining' segments and no Old Indy abominations?

Oh please let it be true!

IndyJr.

I want them to put it as they did on the Tv series... not the re-edits for the movies... and leave Old Indy out (and put him on a seperate thing... have a bonus feature called "Remembering Indy" and have a button for each one so you can watch them seperatly. so you can at least have Old Indy SOMEWHERE in the DVD... but really, I wouldn't mind having him IN the movies. (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Rick McCallum:
?October 13th, the first [Young Indiana Jones DVD] comes out. We?ve spent about three and a half years making 100 documentaries to go with each episode of the Chronicles. So the first set comes out in mid-October, and then [a second batch] in January and [a third] just right after Indy IV.?

Matinee Idyll

Chronicles... Chronicles...

I do sincerely hope they are, in the original, unedited incarnations.

SURELY they realised the edited together ones were shoddy? They had no sense of conclusion without Old Indy having the final word and placing each episode in a broader historical context - so many of them couldn't finish properly because they cut him out.

EDIT:

Well I just checked the website, and they're still stuck together "India/China" "Princeton/Mexico", etc... This sucks.

If they want to have any chance in hell of appealing to mainstream Indy fans, they should have kept Curse of the Jackal firmly stuck together. So stupid to split that up - it was such a wonderful, exciting narrative, now it just seems so stupid tacked onto the Princeton episode.

* sigh *

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still giving the release the benefit of the doubt. The series has never been seen in order, and youngest Indy has hardly been seen in 15 years. They need to include the old Indy bookends however... hidden if necessary.

Matinee Idyll

Oh of course, I'm all for putting the series in chronological order, that's great - so long as they get rid of the horrid joining segments, put old Indy back in, and keep the original opening credit sequence.

I want each one as a seperate, 45 minute adventure (apart, of course, from the longer episodes - Curse of the Jackal, etc).

Oh please George, heed my prayer :)

EDIT: Just reading through this thread, and all of Whippers complaints with "The Complete Adventures" were bang on the money... Give us the damn chronicles George!

The Old Indy bookends and Especially his Narrations are too valuable for setting the stage for each episode and summing it all up. They shouldn't be lost. I also liked that he gave further insights into Young Indy's thoughts and emotional development as time went by.
Old Indy helped make a lot of episodes work as standalones.

And I came to see the bookends as charming and good comic relief to provide contrast in some of the really heavy episodes.

They hacked it out and tried to create new bridging material, but That stuff was truly Awful. Grainy film, Sean Flannery's hair all wrong, it just didn't Fit in there and it was painfully obvious.

The single-hour episodes should remain in episodic format and only the two-parters Created to be viewed as a single story should be presented that way.

Young Indy and the Scandal Of 1920 hasn't come out, has it? I wanna see that one out, but Intact. I don't believe they Could excise Old Indy out of that film, he's too integral to it, it would lose too much. The lady in the cab, the critic in the theater, all good stuff that shouldn't be lost if you wanted to put that movie out.

I also didn't like some of the new overdubbing they did. I much preferred the voices of the original actors in the Congo episodes over the new ones they used for home video release.

The originals had more urgency, they made the scenes more Intense. The guy playing Major Bouchet was great in that scene where he's faced with mutiny and is ranting how he'll shoot every last man. The new voice just wasn't into the moment, to my ears. The original was dramatic, the new guy's take was Flat... Running lines instead of Acting.

I remember some strange edits in places, too. Some different sequencing and alternated shots used that made me wonder, What was the POINT of that? They just took away a Good shot for a Nothing shot.

I miss the opening title sequence of the 'Chronicles, too, that was a Very nice piece of work. (A DVD set also ought to include the ABC trailers from before the series debut. They were cool and got me All pumped up about the series.)

Anyway, lest I get off on a rant myself... Let's just have The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, please. Pleeasse?

Palestine 1917 was a really wonderful, action packed regular length episode (which aired here in Australia) - when they made it into a feature length, with all the awful additional footage, bad special effects, a woman obviously not Catherine Zeta Jones it was so terrible... uggggggh! :(

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Matinee Idyll said:
EDIT:

Well I just checked the website, and they're still stuck together "India/China" "Princeton/Mexico", etc... This sucks.
The official site has no mention of any YIJC DVD's at all, so don't make any assumptions based on the material there.

Adamwankenobi

Aaron H, can you provide us with any info here? I think most of us fans of YIJC would LOVE to see the original episodes on DVD. What's going on? :confused:

Matinee Idyll

It's odd that the few Young Indy fans in existence really want the original Chronicles on DVD, but they're 90% likely to put out the crap re-edited versions.

Cest La Vie.

Blue Jay

I loved young indy when it first aired. That is the only way i saw the episodes, so i have no idea how the reedited versions will work.
I guess that i have not even seen all the episodes.
But always thought, that the old guy with the eyepatch was not the indy i know.
In the end i don't really care which version they will release.
:gun:
But it is Lucas, so my guess would be that we will have new version on dvd. :whip:

Long live Indy .... well we know he does :hat:

Jooones!

I'd also prefer the olde Indy versions...maybe they'll bring out both- the new one starting this year and the old ones, e.g. as bonus versions with the new ones in a new packaging, next year so to cash in again on the sure to come Indy hype then (as Lucas did with the "new limited editions" of SW OT before X-mas last year), yet as much as I love YI its not as popular as SW so maybe only one version...and then probably they'll look how it sells and based upon that decide whether to bring out another one...but from a collector's standpoint two versions would even have a certain appeal, too...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
11 hours on 12 discs? That's the first 7 or 8 Young Indy 'movies,' spread out indefinitely. The absurd price has to plummet. Otherwise, with tax the 3 volumes will cost $382. What do they take us for, Trekkies? Any other 2-season drama would go for about $100.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I think it's 12 discs total, with four in each volume. And loads of extras.

Adamwankenobi

Moedred said:
11 hours on 12 discs? That's the first 7 or 8 Young Indy 'movies,' spread out indefinitely. The absurd price has to plummet. Otherwise, with tax the 3 volumes will cost $382. What do they take us for, Trekkies? Any other 2-season drama would go for about $100.

That's Paramount for you. :rolleyes:

Matinee Idyll said:
And that they won't be the episodes in their original forms is the biggest kick in the backside...

Says who? The website doesn't say they're the cut versions. In fact the article referred to it as "Chronicles" which gives me hope that they're the originals.

Matinee Idyll

Don't mind me man, I'm just a pessimist... plus, on the official sites episode guide they're still stuck together in 'adventures'.