Young Indy on DVD

Matinee Idyll

Well, I don't trust George to go back on his disastrous re-edits, but there's always hope.

What annoys me most is that I had alot of the original Chronicles taped, but when I heard the videos were coming out, I started taping over them.

Silly me.

Bullwhip

I'm watching the re-edits now, in order. I'm halfway through Springbreak Adventure and it's weird having a newly-filmed segue into the Mexican/Pancho Villa portion with a Sean Patrick Flanery who is clearly years older. The tacked-on "ending" to the Curse of the Jackal part of My First Adventure (little Indy) is even worse. Ned stops Demetrius and he doesn't have the jackal on him. That's it. Anti-climactic. Then flash forward to a 12-year-old Corey Carrier in Tangiers.

I miss the old airings.

Grizzlor

Lucas went through the trouble and expense of reshooting scenes to redit everything, and there's no way he's going to renege on that. I would only hope that any cut scenes, like all the George Hall bookends, would be make available. But I doubt it.

Matinee Idyll

Grizzlor said:
Lucas went through the trouble and expense of reshooting scenes to redit everything

Heh, shame there was little to no effort put into them.

How come nobody at Lucasfilm is saying "George, these new scenes look like sh*t. Put Old Indy back in."

Matinee Idyll

Woah - that is good artwork.

Not sure what episodes are going to be on though, from the looks of the pic - is it chronological?

Hopefully Curse of the Jackal...

:rolleyes:

Oh! Still a faint glimmer of hope...

The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones which stars Sean Patrick Flanery, Corey Carrier, and George Hall

Please please please!

Last edited:

Grizzlor

Yeah I picked up on the prominence of Corey Carrier as well. Considering the VHS releases were done in chronological chapters, I would expect the same from the DVD's. As for George Hall, that was DVD Active's hand writing, not Lucas Film. As I said, you almost bet these are the edited and rearranged "Adventures Of" version. They replaced the Hall segments with narration from Flannery I believe right? Would be nice to have them include it as an extra, although that is not Lucas' trademark. The only deleted (raw) scenes ever released for Star Wars were on a CD-ROM in 1997, and never again.

Matinee Idyll

Nah, the 'Adventures of' versions didn't have any narration at all... which made the transitions between 'segments' all the more awkward and forced. Old Indy was a natural. I'd be alot happier if there was a big picture of George Halls smiling face on the box.

What's the Tangiers episode like Bullwhip?

Looks like we'll be getting atleast the first 9 'adventures'. I really like the Corey Carrier episodes I've seen (Egypt, Florence, Paris, Africa, Travels with Father and Benares) - but are they really hoping to win over a whole new audience with them? They're certainly the least 'sexy' episodes of the series.

1. "Egypt, May 1908"
2. "Tangiers, 1908"
3. "Florence, May 1908"
4. "Paris, September 1908"
5. "Vienna, November 1908"
6. "British East Africa, September 1909"
7. "Russia, 1910"
8. "Athens, 1910"
9. "Benares, January 1910"
10. "Peking, March 1910"
11. "Princeton, February 1916"
12. "Mexico, March 1916"
13. "Ireland, April 1916"
14. "London, May 1916"
15. "Somme, Early August 1916"
16. "Germany, Mid-August 1916"
17. "Verdun, September 1916"
18. "Paris, October 1916"

Last edited:

Rivers

As much as I am just dying to get this set, I really wish they would have waited for Indy 4 to hit theaters first before releasing volume 1.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno, I think this will be first 8 'movies,' ending with the prison escape. 649 total minutes can't stretch any farther. There's a 10-year-old boy all over the box, are they really going to conclude the volume with Indy getting laid? Though I hope volume two has a sex-ed documentary on century-old birth control. The young adult novelization was rather explicit.

Matinee Idyll

Mmm, I mentioned the Verdun/Paris one simply because that still on the top right of the box is from 'Verdun' (French uniforms) - not the Somme episode (Belgian soldiers).

Heh, I'm watching 'Paris 1916' now Moe - I remember when I first saw it as a 12 or 13 year old... freaked me right out! :) They were showing the series at 4 in the morning, so I'd gotten up to tape it... and... yeah. Great stuff! ;)

Bullwhip

2121321322mh0.jpg

edit: Oops, already posted.

Matinee Idyll said:
What's the Tangiers episode like Bullwhip?

It wasn't bad. Good action and tension. Kinda heavy, actually, since it dealt with child slavery. Only problem is that Corey is like 12 or 13 and it's supposed to take place sometime right after Egypt 1908 (although the actual year is never mentioned). If they make it clear that it's years later (probably at the tail end of Indy's world tour) then it wouldn't be a problem. But it's part of My First Adventure and that's just silly.

Junior Jones

Bullwhip said:
Only problem is that Corey is like 12 or 13 and it's supposed to take place sometime right after Egypt 1908 (although the actual year is never mentioned).

Agreed. The fact that they're edited together makes it even more obvious. At the midpoint of the "movie", Indy suddenly sprouts up a foot, nearly as tall as his mother. They made half-hearted attempts to cover his growth spurt: Corey's voice has changed, but he tries to raise it to sound younger. And it's almost embarrassing to watch an actor who is so obviously in his teens trying to act like he's still eight.

Bullwhip

Only reason it was even made was to fill out "My First Adventure." Pretty senseless as yeah, it could have officially happened later-- stuck to another "movie" as the last adventure of the child Indy years.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Matinee Idyll said:
Mmm, I mentioned the Verdun/Paris one simply because that still on the top right of the box is from 'Verdun' (French uniforms) - not the Somme episode (Belgian soldiers).
So the 'splosion is from the Verdun episode? Then I hope it's included, that would mean future volumes would be shorter and cheaper...

Avilos

Matinee Idyll said:
Is there any reason why it couldn't have been attatched to a later episode? The date put forward a few years?

But the whole plot is about how Indy is so young and defenseless. I don't think it would have worked with him older. He was smarter and more self reliant through his travels. This is when he was naive at the start of the trip.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Bring on the Paris episode! I've read about it and heard about it in the "Tales of Innocence" or the Morocco episode. Now I want to see it! It could be funny!

No Ticket

I really wish I had seen more episodes of Young Indy... I've only seen about four now and I still am not a big fan. I remember one when I was little with a nine year old Indy in Egypt and I remember that being a fairly good one.

*shrug*

I wish I liked it more so I could merit buying this really expensive box set. I still haven't seen all of the Mystery of the Blues episode with Harrison Ford in it. Just that clip on YouTube.